• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomonobu Itagaki stepping down as head of Valhalla, will become game consultant

Jetboxx

Hey, the new Team Ninja made Dead or Alive 5 and Nioh and they're great games.
Well, as for me, Dead or Alive 5 doesn't feel like a real Dead or Alive game. Both DoA5 and Nioh lack something... They lack personality.

That game was so bad it was the only first party Wii U game Nintendo reps didn't get for free on release

I had to PAY for that game to play it, and the only good to come from it was that it made for some pretty strong roast material

Not liking a game because you didn't get it as a freebie. What an industry!

NolbertoS

I think he needs to step back and relax. If Shiggy ever retires, I'd let Itagaki create more action games for them or maybe make Smash better

It's a shame, but after his team left Tecmo, they were never going to get the budget and freedom to make something that could match Ninja Gaiden II. I guess it'll have to remain the peak of video games.

Endo Punk

When news of Itagaki leaving TN first happened and the fact that he will be taking best of the team with him I expected big things, the way Kojima is living up to now even though Death Stranding is not out. What I mean is strong partnership and vision, it's a real shame that nothing really came out of it, his best era was over a decade ago which makes feel bad. I guess he will never get to top or live up to DOA3 and NGB.

That game was so bad it was the only first party Wii U game Nintendo reps didn't get for free on release

I had to PAY for that game to play it, and the only good to come from it was that it made for some pretty strong roast material

I mean that same holiday Nintendo released Amiibo Festival.

A game that is completely composed of dice rolls. The only agency the player has is to buy turnips they land on and choose to sell them.

I'm not being hyperbolic the game literally is almost completely out of the players' control.

This isn't like Mario Party where you can choose to use items and actually compete in minigames. It's almost entirely automated.

It's kind of amazing.

Not liking a game because you didn't get it as a freebie. What an industry!

I think you took the wrong point away from my comment. The game was trash. I wasn't mad I had to buy a game, I was mad I bought THAT game.

It may come as a surprise to you that people regret spending money on things that are terrible.

I only bring up the fact that it wasn't given to reps because I'm pretty sure NOA didn't actually want us to play it (or anyone else for that matter, given most stores received 0 copies).

EDIT: Goddammit I'm STILL mad I bought that game. If I just burned the money in front of me at least it would have generated warmth.

Jetboxx

Itagaki san, just cut the bull-crap, rejoin Team Ninja and give us a new Ninja Gaiden already!! FFS!!
Basically all the developers who made Dead or Alive and new Ninja Gaiden great work in Valhalla Game Studios now. Itagaki'd better work with them.

Diabolical

Neo Member
In retrospect, 1998-2008 was one hell of an era for Team Ninja. That was when the team was fully intact and at its absolute peak.

The 'Team Ninja' moniker that Mr. Itagaki's development crew created for itself during that particular decade has seen the "current team" at KoeiTecmo through some tough times in his absence.

Such a shame that Devil's Third had so many problems when it came to funding, engines, and who knows what else. Valhalla Game Studios and "current" Team Ninja both had a first release bomb following the staff shake up that occurred in 2008. In reality, (even though Nioh has been a recent success) 2008 was truly the end of an era.

I mean that same holiday Nintendo released Amiibo Festival.

A game that is completely composed of dice rolls. The only agency the player has is to buy turnips they land on and choose to sell them.

I'm not being hyperbolic the game literally is almost completely out of the players' control.

This isn't like Mario Party where you can choose to use items and actually compete in minigames. It's almost entirely automated.

It's kind of amazing.

Yeah that one went on the shelf pretty damn quick. I feel sorry for everyone who bought that. Personally I don't even think it was worth it for the amiibo (although I'm not a huge Animal Crossing fan so your mileage may vary).

Honestly, between Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis being rough, and Devil's Third being a profanity against all that is decent, that could have been the holiday season that broke me as a rep. Thankfully I was riding high off Mario Maker, and XCX was coming up so I had something cool to push.

Xeteh

Why does a studio named Valhalla not make viking themed games? Why aren't there more viking games.

I like vikings.

How on earth can a person create one of the most polished game in history - Ninja Gaiden Black - and also make something like The Devil's Third?

Just ask Itagaki. An enigma.

It's a closely guarded secret in the industry, but it actually takes more than the will of a single producer/director to create a polished quality product.

Another person here who likes Devils Third. Single player had some good ideas and multiplayer was legit fun. My second most played online game on Wii U. What the balls happened to the PC version of the multiplayer? Might have actually gotten the game some of the respect it deserved, was meant to be out aggges ago!

Pein

Banned
I can only hope he can get the funds together and talent necessary to craft a new action game like Ninja Gaiden, he obviously is a talented director but god I think devils third and all that bullshit ruined the hope of any publisher putting faith in him.

On the other hand people keep giving inafune money and that guy keeps pushing junk out constantly so I dunno.

Jetboxx

Another praying here who likes Devils Third. Single player had some good ideas and multiplayer was legit fun. My second most played online game on Wii U. What the balls happened to the PC version of the multiplayer? Might have actually gotten the game some of the respect it deserved, was meant to be out aggges ago!
I hope the game will be released on Steam.

Xeteh

You already play Viking Squad and Jotun?

I tried Jotun out but it didn't quite sell me. I got the game for free recently so I should go back to it. Viking Squad does nothing for me, the side scrolling beat'm up genre is meeeeeh.

mao2

Another person here who likes Devils Third. Single player had some good ideas and multiplayer was legit fun. My second most played online game on Wii U. What the balls happened to the PC version of the multiplayer? Might have actually gotten the game some of the respect it deserved, was meant to be out aggges ago!
It launched in Japan last year and was shut down in March this year.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/devils-third-online-shutting-down-in-japan-in-marc/1100-6446852/

Rymuth

What a career. I enjoyed Devils Third but perhaps it's best this way instead of tarnishing his name any further

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I remember once saying that I didn't like Devil's Third because it is a bad game upon which three or four users furiously demanded that I'll write a detailed master thesis why that is so they can tell me how wrong I am.
So I guess Devil's Third was for a specific crowd of people.

poodaddy

Proper link to the PDF: http://www.valhallagamestudios.com/en/company/release/DirectorEN.pdf
21083773_1895530284044414_4644896395569328818_o.jpg

All the smoking, booze, and fake tans have not been kind to this man's complexion. Stay out of tanning beds folks.

OT: I loved Ninja Gaiden but the rest of the man's catalogue has done nothing for me. I hope he finds happiness though.

kuroshiki

Basically all the developers who made Dead or Alive and new Ninja Gaiden great work in Valhalla Game Studios now. Itagaki'd better work with them.

Wow.

So that just prove that NGB was just a lightning in a bottle, one time wonder?

Sorry but Itagaki's time has passed.

Top Bottom