• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomonobu Itagaki stepping down as head of Valhalla, will become game consultant

Jetboxx

Wow.

So that just prove that NGB was just a lightning in a bottle, one time wonder?

Sorry but Itagaki's time has passed.
Well, Ninja Gaiden II had a better battle system but its development was rushed. That's why the game had some flaws (but it's still a masterpiece). As for Devil's Third, it was in development hell.

Xeteh

All the smoking, booze, and fake tans have not been kind to this man's complexion. Stay out of tanning beds folks.

OT: I loved Ninja Gaiden but the rest of the man's catalogue has done nothing for me. I hope he finds happiness though.

Idk to me it looks like he has Vitiligo.

Source: Not even remotely a doctor.

I never got to play the good NG games. My first and last was Razor's Edge which he didn't make.
D3 isn't the worst but it doesn't take much advantage of its combat being a mediocre hack and slash mixed with a mediocre shooter.
Devil's Third wasn't amazing, but at least it's better than NG3, DmC, and 75% of Platinum's output.
Like, it's better than Korra and TMNT but I wouldn't call it better than 75% of their output.

I hope he's given the latitude somewhere to make a great game at one of his consulting gigs, but this is kind of disheartening.

3168253-2772052961-7EDli.gif

Duffk1ng

Wow.

So that just prove that NGB was just a lightning in a bottle, one time wonder?

Sorry but Itagaki's time has passed.

It's sad but after I suffered through NG2 on Master Ninja and seeing what Itagaki did afterward, I do sometimes wonder if NG/B was actually just a bit of a fluke. It actually saddened me how much I hated NG2.

Like, NG2 was ok on the two initial difficulties, but was hampered by dodgy controls such as there being too big a deadzone on the dodge which becomes practically unresponsive if the frame rate tanks, which it does in a number of encounters, a lack of enemy variety and too many crappy archery sections and so on. It just lacks the tightness of the NG, even if the weapons were satisfying.

But where NG/B gets even better when you turn the difficulty up, NG2 just shits the bed completely and turns hard left into bad game territory. The game is an utter mess on Mentor and Master Ninja. It misses the point of the original game's difficulty entirely and just fills every single fight with a metric shitload of projectile spam from both enemies near you and additional ones positioned 50 meters in the background firing explosive arrows at you. Where the first game introduces new enemies or forces you to face fights tactically, NG2 just throws more and more projectiles at you from off screen.

It completely removed the depth of the combat system by forcing you to chain together moves with invincibility frames (since unlike the first games, enemies which are off screen don't become less aggressive with ranged attacks to compensate for the fact you can't see them), and spam moves which quickly remove limbs so you can get quick kills. It actively prevents you from using the combat system. Then you chuck in some flat out awful encounters (IIRC Chapter 13 has one bit where you have to fight explosive projectile throwing ninjas who will respawn infinitely until you kill 9 powered up versions of the first boss who you fight 3 at a time and it's just atrocious). And enemies who the game counts as having hit you when their wind up animation starts rather than when they actually hit you (for example, the machinegun ninjas in the jungle/airship have a move where they jump over your head then kick you to the floor, the game counts you have being hit by it the moment they jump over your head, while the undead ninjas can do the suicide bomb attacks without being dismembered, and it counts you as having been hit by it as soon as they pull their arm back, not when they hit you), essentially giving many enemies undodgeable attacks.

Meanwhile, most of the bosses were incredibly forgettable since they all fought the same way, which was be stupidly fast and do tons of damage, but also take tons of damage, and most of their attacks either have tiny windup animations nearly impossible to see or they go off camera then hit you from there, turning them into boring wars of attrition on higher settings where you just throw yourself at them until you win.

God, I hated Ninja Gaiden 2. Sigma 2 actually fixed/removed most of the worst problems, but didn't really add anything so in the end you just get a really easy version of NG2. Which was already a much easier game than the first one in spite of the cheapness, because it forces you to cheese the fuck out of it anyway. It said a lot that the hardest chapters were the first 2 in the game because once you got a few moves available you could just spam them (claws + flying swallow -> Izuna drop / forward+YYYY combos will beat the whole game, basically).

It was glitchy as hell too, presumably due to it being rushed out. I remember twice in a row on Master Ninja the subway boss just left the arena half way through the fight, while in the final chapter they patched the game and broke the cutscene before fighting Dagra Dai meaning I had to uninstall the patch in order to finish the game on MN.

AAK

I can respect this decision. He needed the devs at Team Ninja to make great games. Without them there's little chance he will have creative endeavors as monumental as Ninja Gaiden.

tauroxd

Well, Ninja Gaiden II had a better battle system but its development was rushed. That's why the game had some flaws (but it's still a masterpiece). As for Devil's Third, it was in development hell.

I'm actually starting to believe that you are Itagaki which is all sorts of awesome and funny!

Linkura

Wow so this is the end? He's stepping down and giving up after The Devil's Turd? Killed by a twice rebooted bomba WiiU game with 0 marketing that no one really wanted to make? Sad. I guess he'll be attaching his name to various projects from other devs to give them visibility now? Like Chris Avellone? Lol. Thanks for Ninja Gaiden Black and Dead or Alive 2, I guess.
Harsh but true.

So is Valhalla Studios carrying on without him or...?
Sounds like he'll get around and do other stuff. I personally liked Devil's Third so I hope the studio comes up with something else fun.

Sigh, MP of devils third was great. Unfortunate that he had to end his career on a lower note, but I wish him the best of luck in the future as a consultant. I will always remember him for creating my fav ninja games(NG2 nes, NG(B) xbox and NG2 360).

Beartruck

I guess that's the way the oatmeal cookie crumbles. Shame he couldn't go out on a higher note.

So is Devil's Third good or bad or it depends?

The single player is a monstrous trash fire. The multi was decent, but they closed downed the servers, so all you've got left is the trash fire.

PillarEN

You never know. Maybe he'll be heavily involved in some future project anyways. Love this guys interviews. His made up image is amusing too.

Azriell

Itagaki is/was such a legend. He was one of those few devs everyone knew by name, and for a good reason. Looking back, it's been a long time since he's created something amazing. I hope that whatever he works on going forward is worthy of his legacy.

Ninja Dom

I guess that's the way the oatmeal cookie crumbles. Shame he couldn't go out on a higher note.

The single player is a monstrous trash fire. The multi was decent, but they closed downed the servers, so all you've got left is the trash fire.

Nah. The single player is fine. It's just that Ivan isn't a very likeable protagonist, the Ninja's don't show up until you get to the Japan level (Part 8) and are only in it for that level. And the enemy AI is a bit crap. And the graphics could be better. And there's no combo counter.

Top Bottom