• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomonobu Itagaki stepping down as head of Valhalla, will become game consultant

I miss Itagaki san !

It would be great if Microsoft, because i think it would be a great fit for him, offers him enough cash to make another bad ass action game like Ninja Gaiden Black or a fighter like DOA4.

I'm a huge fan of his games other than Devil's Third which was ok but could have been so special if not for the dev hell.

PetrCobra

Guess this makes a possibility that Devil's Third's Siege mode will resurface in some form somewhere even less realistic. Especially with all those know-it-alls going on about how the game sucked.I watched some of you guys play the game on Youtube. You did about as well as a first time gamer would. Couldn't even figure out how and why you build a base before you turned it off.

Skilletor

Hasn't made anything I care about since NG2. Went from DoA3.1 to DoA4...one of the most disappointing sequels ever.

Hope he finds some way to get his groove back.

Peltz

Platinum is way too crazy for him. Itagaki's style of action isn't like theirs.

That's why I think it would be a good fit. Itagaki could rein them in a bit.

Hasn't made anything I care about since NG2. Went from DoA3.1 to DoA4...one of the most disappointing sequels ever.

Hope he finds some way to get his groove back.

I thought DOA4 was a lovely game to be honest. I enjoyed it a lot more than DOA5.

Coda

I'd love a true Ninja Gaiden sequel from him but seems like it will never happen at this point. Either way, good to see he is still going to help other developers.

Kevtones

I enjoyed Devil's Third. The campaign didn't take itself too seriously and it played out like a cult-y fun PS2 game. Nice boss fights too.

MP was great but doomed due to platform and release.

LeleSocho

Banned
Proper link to the PDF: http://www.valhallagamestudios.com/en/company/release/DirectorEN.pdf
21083773_1895530284044414_4644896395569328818_o.jpg

Oh look, an oatmeal cookie that smiles.

Wow so this is the end? He's stepping down and giving up after The Devil's Turd? Killed by a twice rebooted bomba WiiU game with 0 marketing that no one really wanted to make? Sad. I guess he'll be attaching his name to various projects from other devs to give them visibility now? Like Chris Avellone? Lol. Thanks for Ninja Gaiden Black and Dead or Alive 2, I guess.

Another Matsuno.

Synth

Black > Sigma > Vanilla
NG2 > Sigma 2
DOA3.1 > DOA2
DOA5 > DOA4

Just a reminder.

Agree with all of this in general, it's missing:

DOAX1 > DOAX2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DOAX3.

Even with DOA5 the presentation side of things, the model ridiculous DLC quantities (which at this point seem to have held up an actual DOA6), and the lazy-ass character additions (with ALL of them being female as of Last Round) means that whilst DOA4 was a crazy misstep in terms of gameplay, I still end up with less faith in the IP today than I did after the release of DOA4.

Also, rather than working with MS, or Platinum (who have their bases pretty much covered)... I'd like to see Sega put him on Shinobi.

Agree with all of this in general, it's missing:

DOAX1 > DOAX2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DOAX3.

Even with DOA5 the presentation side of things, the model ridiculous DLC quantities (which at this point seem to have held up an actual DOA6), and the lazy-ass character additions (with ALL of them being female as of Last Round) means that whilst DOA4 was a crazy misstep in terms of gameplay, I still end up with less faith in the IP today than I did after the release of DOA4.

Also, rather than working with MS, or Platinum (who have their bases pretty much covered)... I'd like to see Sega put him on Shinobi.

DOAX1 was a fun volleyball game. Lost many hours with friends DOAX2 was garbage.

thelastword

Banned
How on earth can a person create one of the most polished game in history - Ninja Gaiden Black - and also make something like The Devil's Third?

Just ask Itagaki. An enigma.
For everybody thinking Itagaki was Ninja Gaiden...No, he was not, he was only one man on the team, no doubt the director, but one man can't make a game like NG great..It was a team effort with some excellent artists, Ai developers/programmiers (Hayashi and many others). They collectively made NG great including Tomonobu......

You see, you take his team from him and see how he struggled, you also take Tecmo's funding and Itagaki having to be accountable to them and see how Itagaki is unable put anything amazing out or he struggles with managing funds or rather mis-management with lots of extravagant dinners, hotels and wastage of funds before getting to the bottomline. Development is a team effort and publishers are there to finance and demand proper development milestones and timelines....Itagaki/Valhalla struggled quite a bit to produce that.

I still feel, he can do something neat with a good team, but he needs to be more humble....Sony can hire him to do heavenly sword 2 or perhaps he can work with Kamiya on a few projects..but he needs to be involved in something proper and lay off the wantonness, heavy drinking and extravagant lifestyle...He needs to commit to a good team and stay guided and focused...

At this point I just want to see his games like Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II get remasters or backwards compatibility. I'd hate to see them be lost to time.

Jetboxx

For everybody thinking Itagaki was Ninja Gaiden...No, he was not, he was only one man on the team, no doubt the director, but one man can't make a game like NG great..
Of course he wasn't. Matsui, Ehara, Okamoto... They all left Team Ninja with him. Team Ninja's spirit is in Valhalla Game Studios. Team Ninja Dog is nothing like true Team Ninja.

Skilletor

Of course he wasn't. Matsui, Ehara, Okamoto... They all left Team Ninja with him. Team Ninja's spirit is in Valhalla Game Studios. Team Ninja Dog is nothing like true Team Ninja.

I'll take NiOh and DoA5 over the shitty Naruto game and whatever that game Itagaki put out with "true team ninja." lolol

Why is there a need in a sequel to a shitty game? I'd prefer Devil's Third 2.

I thought you didn't want a sequel to a shitty game.

Top Bottom