• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tons of new The Order 1886 details

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
It's an easy comparison to make when the camera is placed in pretty much the same place as Gears of War. The color palette is pretty similar too.
It looks almost exactly the same as TLoU minus the aspect ratio.

Untitled_3.jpg

Untitled_2.jpg

Given the 'swing' when turning, I'd say it controls much more like TLoU too.

Muffdraul

Have paid very little attention to this game up to now, starting to get interested... I always thought it was an XBone game for some reason.

VanWinkle

Just read through the cover story. MAN those visuals are incredible.

The article says "Character models are not down-rezzed in-game [from the renders you see]". Man.

So much of this stuff seems worthless given that we haven't seen gameplay. If I'd seen that, maybe dust particles refracting light from an oil lamp might excite me.

VanWinkle

About the trailer: "While the cinematic style and panning camera offer a more dramatic presentation, it's the only part of the video that steps away from what players can expect from the graphics. To back up it's claims, Ready At Dawn showed us the trailer scene again, dynamically altering the light sources on the fly and rotating the camera to new angles on the 3D models." So the trailer was real-time.

nib95

Banned
Holy shit just seen the article and new shots. Looks insanely good. A couple of the gameplay screens look almost photo realistic. Actually reminds me a lot of Last of Us. Hype +1000.

InSpectre

About the trailer: "While the cinematic style and panning camera offer a more dramatic presentation, it's the only part of the video that steps away from what players can expect from the graphics. To back up it's claims, Ready At Dawn showed us the trailer scene again, dynamically altering the light sources on the fly and rotating the camera to new angles on the 3D models." So the trailer was real-time.

Nice! That is pretty amazing. I'm really looking forward to reading about it!

Lady Gaia

People just want to use their whole TV. That's why.

The same argument was made over and over again for cropping 16:9 material to fit 4:3 displays. It wasn't a great idea then, and it isn't a great idea now. You pick an aspect ratio for a reason and stick with it throughout the project. In this case I'd imagine the wide field of view was considered highly desirable, and they'd be fools to change it so far into production. Yes, it's a trade-off and they were doubtless well aware of that fact going in.

So you can get used to it, pick up a 25:9 display, use one of horrific zoom modes your television doubtless supports, or miss out on a unique experience.

2:40:1 is fucking awesome. I like it. Keep it.

Ditto.

Awesome! Hopefully this quiets down the doubters.

I really love the atmosphere of this game.

Jigolo

Perhaps. I'm thinking closer to August/September.

I'm sure they'll have Naughty Dog's PS4 title and other first party titles for Oct/Nov/Dec.
Disagree there. I actually think it will be an October release. If Sony want an established IP they are better off releasing it in the winter months to capture more sales. Even if it does launch within a month of UC4

Edit: spelling

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Those people who say it's crying out for co-op, could you post the gameplay video you have so that I can judge for myself. Thanks

Burt

Odds that the leader of the Order is a bad guy facilitating some sort of worldwide conspiracy and possibly being the cause of the splintering in humanity - 1:1

Wouldn't be much in keeping with the Arthurian framework, but you know it's coming.

Goliath

The only new detail I want is GAMEPLAY. I love the theme of this game and want it to be good and want to justify my exitement so show me some GAMEPLAY.

Ready at Dawn took a unique twist to QTEs, sometimes melee attacks occur during gameplay, time slows down and you can rotate your camera and find different things in the environment to give you an edge.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Why?

No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

Burt

Why?

It's not a big deal. Think of the environmental interaction in Sleeping Dogs. Those were pared down QTEs and god damn awesome. Finishers are alright too, as long as they aren't overdone. No need to be so reactionary before we see anything.

VanWinkle

A couple of neat tidbits about the lens simulation: "Stand with a tall pillar at the far right or left of the screen, and you'll see a barely perceptible bending of the straight vertical shape, echoing the bowing at the outside of a camera lens." "Rotate the camera from the view of a distant doorway to a nearby human face, and the door shifts slightly out of focus, centering your attention on the object with which you're interacting."

Why?

The way they talk about them in the article make it sound like they won't be all that often really. Only on occasion and with certain enemies. Most of the gameplay will be third person shooting obviously.

StuBurns

Banned
And getting higher FOV cost almost nothing in terms of performance.
Really? I actually thought it would, as you'd inherently have more assets on screen at any given time. I've never tried it though.

Regardless, FoV should be relative to the position of the viewer, and the distance/size of the screen, which is why PC FoV's should be much higher. So it actually shouldn't matter at all what the aspect ratio is.

Mondy

Banned

45981-Sweet-Jesus-mother-of-god-Jura-ytNE.gif

Mother of God...

So hyped for this. Could be PS4's killer app if they play their cards right.

KKRT00

nib95

Banned
And getting higher FOV cost almost nothing in terms of performance.

That's not true, and is highly variable game to game, depending on many factors. Amount on screen, draw distance, graphical fidelity and all the rest. Impacts to performance can range from negligible to noticeable.

That test is not conclusive of anything. You need to test more scenes and more games, especially areas that are a lot more intensive with more going on, maybe even more characters on screen during gun fights etc as well. There's hardly anything going on in the scene you've compared.

Disagree there. I actually think it will be an October release. If Sony want an established IP they are better off releasing it in the winter months to capture more sales. Even if it does launch within a month of UC4

Edit: spelling

Actually I think that isn't a good idea either.

If they want to establish a new IP like The Order they need to make sure it has enough space, putting a huge seller like Uncharted so close would harm it.

I don't know which is further in development, but release either UC4 or the Order in 2015, I'd say go for UC4 in 2014, cause it is a huge seller, may even shift more PS4 unites, so by the time The Order release in 2015, it will have even bigger audience.

Yet I am excited for The Order and don't want it delayed so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom