• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

Hawk269

mm04 said:
Sometimes you get lucky, most times you don't! I have 3 red items, 2 from the conveyor belt area. Sacred Honor Sword for my Cybernetic Defender actually dropped from the obelisk right at the start of the conveyor belts. I don't like using swords, but since it was my first red/class specific weapon, I figured why not. I also got a red rune from a named on the belts. My red charm dropped off an obelisk in cyber-space from all places.

I've only done about 5 or so conveyor belt runs, so hopefully I get another drop sometime soon. As someone who played EQ to max level prior to the expansions, I remember how friggin long it took me to get my indicolite armor set for my warrior. So maybe I'm a little more prepared than the normal gamer to grind it out for my armor set and weapons.

Since I was on a business trip when the game came out and for about 12 days after, I am not that far into the game myself. I noticed several people say they got this or that for their other characters. How do you get the items to your other characters?

Do you have to finish the game and then start a new character using the old game save? Or is it that you collect the stuff, trade it to a friend in coop mode, load the other character and then your done?

Thanks in advance....sorry for the noobish question.

voltron

TwoBacks said:
I believe you can only do it once you start a second campaign. When jumping levels you can only jump to those that you have completed before (I think).

You can do it whenever, but especially once youve started a second campaign. There is no real reason to even do a proper second campaign.

mm04

Hawk269 said:
Since I was on a business trip when the game came out and for about 12 days after, I am not that far into the game myself. I noticed several people say they got this or that for their other characters. How do you get the items to your other characters?

Do you have to finish the game and then start a new character using the old game save? Or is it that you collect the stuff, trade it to a friend in coop mode, load the other character and then your done?

Thanks in advance....sorry for the noobish question.

I should've clarified that my main is a Defender and that's what I was playing when I got the drop. As far as I know, the only way to get gear to your alts is to play an online game with a friend and trade the items back and forth that way.

There are rumors that in future DLC that there will be a bank function that would allow you to to trade things among your own characters, but it's just rumor at this point.

TwoBacks

Neo Member
voltron said:
You can do it whenever, but especially once youve started a second campaign. There is no real reason to even do a proper second campaign.

I enjoyed going through the campaign again. The depth of writing showed through when I had that second look, and knew how some of the characters would develop later on.

Does anyone have any opinions about the themes Denis was talking about prior to the games release?

voltron

TwoBacks said:
I enjoyed going through the campaign again. The depth of writing showed through when I had that second look, and knew how some of the characters would develop later on.

Does anyone have any opinions about the themes Denis was talking about prior to the games release?

Yep. GAF is voracious cesspool of the worst therefore best kind :D

TwoBacks

Neo Member
Ok thats not exactly where I was going.

He did say some very critical things about this forum, in regards to how his game was being treated by the owner, mods, and in turn community. Fair enough. Special circumstances get special rules.

I was thinking more along the lines of effects of technology on society.

Or Loki being tortured by the Aesir without a trial.

Or Heimdall's manipulation of Baldur.

Basically did the games story make anyone else think anything about the world today?

border

voltron said:

Doing a second campaign resets the Obelisks in Cyberspace. If you are burnt out on dungeon crawling, it's easily 20-30 totally free loot drops. I dunno if you can get epic gear from them, but from experience I know they definitely will drop epic charms and epic runes.

voltron

border said:
Doing a second campaign resets the Obelisks in Cyberspace. If you are burnt out on dungeon crawling, it's easily 20-30 totally free loot drops. I dunno if you can get epic gear from them, but from experience I know they definitely will drop epic charms and epic runes.

Holy crap, really? Im all over that.

glaurung

So I finally got around to playing this around the weekend and so far, it has been a mixed bag of mixed feelings.

By the time I am writing this, my character is just above level 22 and I just finished the Ice Forest level.

I started out by creating a Defender class character named Defender (duh) because his real name is Baldur anyhow. Does the co-op mode display the name of your gamertag or your customized character name? Either way, it makes no sense. I like the Defender class because he does not get knocked over by the shockwaves, which apparently enough cause damage to Baldur whether he avoids them or not. I also went Cybernetic with this guy, though I honestly see no difference. Most everything in the skill tree beside the passive buffs and spider turret seems useless crap.

Running through the first level, I quickly collected the first Defender 6-part armor set, something named the Dragon or such. This stuff was level 8, but I found myself using it up to as high level 15. Since that, I have not seen any armor sets, just separate pieces of equipment strewn about. The Dragon armor was cool, but it almost broke the game in cutscenes: since the chest plate made Baldur look like a freaking walking sarcophagus, he was covering over 1/2 of the screen. The game tries to fight this with generous "face-to-camera-time," but frankly, not that good. So far I enjoy the narrative, even though there is some atrocious animation involved in the overall process that simply breaks whatever tension there is. The worst bits are the seemingly random character exchanges in the hub world. I managed to talk to Freya after the Ice Forest level, Baldur was saying serious stuff about how he killed somebody while freaking stretching himself vigorously. Those two kind of did not mix, so I walked away from the lady. Instead of cutting out the dialogue immediately, the voices became muffled, as if Baldur had forgotten his vocal cords behind. The other weird stuff happened as I skipped a cut scene with the cyberspace witches and when returning to the campaign level, Baldur's face continued talking for about 10 seconds. I mean, come on: how does that kind of stuff get past QA these days?

The tension is built and maintained with the troops (who seem to have some kind of an advanced teleportation technology available to them - reappearing at special locations, which has taken Baldur just half an hour to reach, out of thin air) having short dialogue bits that play in the background, but these are at times mixed with each others. There are some, which play automatically at certain set pieces, and then there are some, which are random. Some are epic, father and son type punch lines, but some are humorous and when those two are combined, hilarity ensues (an example: Don't you die on me now; You cannot take him to Valhalla yet; I would like to be home with your wife as well). Also, the troopers cause zero damage on the enemies, even when they do keep firing at them for an hour or so.

The game play is moderately easy, but every now and then I run into those big spiders or multiple trolls who simply kill me. There is a real need for some kind of recovery medicine, because the health orbs are dropped quite rarely. And when I die, the Valkyrie drops down, melts with the floor and I reappear at some random check point just to continue where I left off killing the giant enemies. The ranged weapons targeting is balls, most of the time I manage to empty my clip at something completely irrelevant - something that made the boss battle at the end of the second level a real pain in the ass.

There doesn't seem to be a single good camera angle. I tried playing with the isometric and standard views, and even then, the camera acted like a caffeine addict baby, jumping around and at times focusing on stuff that made no sense. If they are going to patch something, start with the camera. The worst thing about the camera is that they haven't even gotten the art of maintaining the character direction during camera angle changes. This is something that was akin to old games like Ecstatica and was in my view perfected in Devil May Cry. The idea is simple: when the camera changes, the player's control scheme layout is kept until he chooses to let go of the sticks. However, here the character direction is tied to the camera, but the connection points, at which the direction changes, are all broken. I run in one direction, the camera swaps, and suddenly I am hugging the walls. The same applies for the targeting systems.

The list of technical mistakes for this game is too long, even for my taste. I really want to keep playing it, I want to see where the story ends up, but there are many deterrents to achieving that.

Some questions, if people are willing to answer:

1. Why do the Valkyries have to wear lipstick?
  2. When will I start seeing new armor sets? After level 30?
  3. Can color scheme runes only be attached to socketed items?
  4. What the hell is going on with the equipment color schemes? Is this something like gray-blue-violet-orange-red?
  5. Will I get to fight the giant dog/wolf that is in one of the intro videos?

Chrange

Banned
1. Why do the Valkyries have to wear lipstick?
Who doesn't like to look good for work? Plus that one has a thing for Sigmund (I think it's a reference to the Sigurd/Valkyrie romance that nobody seems to know)

2. When will I start seeing new armor sets? After level 30?
Matched sets? I don't think there are 'sets' of armor until 50, when you can find three or four. Before that you can find pieces that are all names the same, sharing bonuses. You can also find pieces that are the same 'style' of armor.

3. Can color scheme runes only be attached to socketed items?
Pretty much anything but epic weapons can be colored.

4. What the hell is going on with the equipment color schemes? Is this something like gray-blue-violet-orange-red?
Like any game with loot collection and character customization, you spend a lot of time looking like a well-armored clown.

5. Will I get to fight the giant dog/wolf that is in one of the intro videos?
Yeah.

Im really enjoying this game:D Currently playing through random missions/levels to level up my Champion upto level 50, im a level 40 right now :)

mm04

So for those who are grinding the conveyor belts for red loot, are you doing so in multi-player games with a private slot enabled or are you doing it in campaign with Thor as your sidekick? I'm interested to know if you're experiencing more red drops one way or the other. Thanks!

TomServo

mm04 said:
So for those who are grinding the conveyor belts for red loot, are you doing so in multi-player games with a private slot enabled or are you doing it in campaign with Thor as your sidekick? I'm interested to know if you're experiencing more red drops one way or the other. Thanks!

I'm doing both. If I'm short on time I do single player, since it seems to spawn fewer dark elves in the large room with the first spider boss. If I have the time I'd rather not listen to the broken record that is the Thor / Loki back and forth dialogue. I'd guess the loot drop chance per leader is the same, but there are three additional leaders in the online runs.

More tails of crappy red loot - got a red rune drop, +10% experience gain. Yeah, that'll help my level 50 champion out. WTF. I swear I get two or three LOL-worthy red drops for every useful one. I did get the slug pistols that look like the ones Hod uses, those are nice. +20% firing rate, more damage than the red laser pistols I was using.

PSGames

TomServo said:
I'm doing both. If I'm short on time I do single player, since it seems to spawn fewer dark elves in the large room with the first spider boss. If I have the time I'd rather not listen to the broken record that is the Thor / Loki back and forth dialogue. I'd guess the loot drop chance per leader is the same, but there are three additional leaders in the online runs.

More tails of crappy red loot - got a red rune drop, +10% experience gain. Yeah, that'll help my level 50 champion out. WTF. I swear I get two or three LOL-worthy red drops for every useful one. I did get the slug pistols that look like the ones Hod uses, those are nice. +20% firing rate, more damage than the red laser pistols I was using.

I'll take that +10% Rune off your hands if you dont want it :D

mm04

mh56 said:
wheres the conveyer belt?

Level 3-4 of World Serpent.

mh56 said:
and it has the highest % of dropping epics?

According to most reports, yeah. I've had 3 reds drop there, but one was a sword off of the obelisk at the start of the conveyor belts.

Naeblish

Xenon said:
If you run a online 3-4, it has 9 Leaders on the conveyor belts. This will give you more chances at getting a red drop.
Personally i find those conveyor belt runs incredibly boring, but to each his own. I got all my reds (2 armor so far... 50 hours in) from hel. Grendel nor the world serpent boss every drop anything worthwhile.

Xenon said:
If you run a online 3-4, it has 9 Leaders on the conveyor belts. This will give you more chances at getting a red drop.

Is this true, or is this from the collected experiences of a few. I've seen a red loot drop from a troll in the Ice Forest....yeah it blew my mind as well.

Chrange

Banned
I did some 3-4 runs one day and noticed I got most of the equipment red drops from the Dark Elf spiders, not from the guys on the actual belt. The Red Eyes on the belt dropped red runes though.

Most of the time I 'farm' by running HoH or Helheim.

TomServo

Apharmd Battler said:
Is this true, or is this from the collected experiences of a few. I've seen a red loot drop from a troll in the Ice Forest....yeah it blew my mind as well.
It's true that there are more leaders in online play compared to single player.

As far as loot drop %, someone at TooHuman.net claimed to have the loot tables. The chance for a red drop from a boss kill with all tokens was slightly higher than the chance for a red drop from a leader (independent of boss kills), but not by a large enough margin to justify running through Helhiem (with a handful of leader kills along the way) compared to a quick 10-15 minute conveyor run with 12 leader kills (2 spiders, 9 goblin leaders on the belt, 1 goblin leader a couple rooms later).

Chrange said:
I did some 3-4 runs one day and noticed I got most of the equipment red drops from the Dark Elf spiders, not from the guys on the actual belt. The Red Eyes on the belt dropped red runes though.
I'd expect them to both have the same loot table. If the aforementioned loot table was real, then they are in fact identical.

I've had one spider drop one plan for a red weapon. The goblin leaders have dropped maybe three red runes, three weapon plans, and one plan for my set helmet. Granted, it's a 5:1 ratio on goblin leaders to spiders on a conveyor run.

Dazzyman

Played this last 3days and think its fantastic. Actually find it very relaxing. I didnt like the last level as much at first due to the baddies but I soon got over it. Got my first red drop at the end a level 29 pistol. Wasnt until I started another campaign (was lvl28 at time) that it asked me if I wanted to do it via the hub instead so did that and then game went to another level with its different mobs so Im sticking to that. Can see me playing this with each character set for donkeys years as I find it similar to evercrack for loot hording.

Can I ask someone regarding the pistols though? Ive got a level 27 rifle what does 103 damage what Ive been using (as Im saving up the 450k for the red pistols anyway!) but Ive noticed the pistols are only showing 83 I think. Is the pistol damage per pistol so its x2 (Ive never used pistols as Im a bioengineer for first one). I just cant work the stat out on that one thats all whether its worth it or not.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
rented this last night and played for a couple of hours. i'm enjoying something about it, but i'm not sure what. i found myself wishing the combat in other roleplaying games were more like this: really quick and fun to watch, with constant rewards.

the names for armor crack me up. "holy boots of sprinting?" really? :lol

i don't know. some of it is awesome and some of it is totally cheesy and poorly made. but when my rental period is up, i'll probably pick it up when it's cheap. it's fun to play.

MattyH

Uk gaffers Game have dropped the price of too human to £20 just thought id say
enjoying the game
death scenes are pissing me off

Steveko

Dazzyman said:
Can I ask someone regarding the pistols though? Ive got a level 27 rifle what does 103 damage what Ive been using (as Im saving up the 450k for the red pistols anyway!) but Ive noticed the pistols are only showing 83 I think. Is the pistol damage per pistol so its x2 (Ive never used pistols as Im a bioengineer for first one). I just cant work the stat out on that one thats all whether its worth it or not.

The pistol damage is x2. I've got a right path, level 50 champ who's doing about 500 damage per pistol. With a high rate of fire you can clear a room extremely fast with pistols only. If you decide to play as champion they are excellent.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
so what's the strategy for clowning these fools who blow up when you touch them? strictly guns? and what about the ice dudes who freeze your ass?

border

In one hour, you can have an opportunity to play with the game developers. They will be online from 7 EST to 9 EST:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/calendar/gamewithdevelopers/2008/0919-toohuman.htm

Gamertags:

* TooHumanBryan (Bryan Griffiths)
* TooHumanDan (Dan Lee)
* TooHumanDenis (Denis Dyack)
* TooHumanErik (Erik Peterson)
* TooHumanHenry (Henry Sterchi)
* TooHumanJenny (Jenny Guay)
* TooHumanJeremy (Jeremy Andress)
* TooHumanJonathan (Jonathan Chen)
* TooHumanMichael (Michael Skackal)
* TooHumanTed (Ted Traver)

EDIT: Denis is online right now! (6:08 PM EST)

Mifune

Mehmber
border said:
In one hour, you can have an opportunity to play with the game developers. They will be online from 7 EST to 9 EST:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/calendar/gamewithdevelopers/2008/0919-toohuman.htm

Gamertags:

* TooHumanBryan (Bryan Griffiths)
* TooHumanDan (Dan Lee)
* TooHumanDenis (Denis Dyack)
* TooHumanErik (Erik Peterson)
* TooHumanHenry (Henry Sterchi)
* TooHumanJenny (Jenny Guay)
* TooHumanJeremy (Jeremy Andress)
* TooHumanJonathan (Jonathan Chen)
* TooHumanMichael (Michael Skackal)
* TooHumanTed (Ted Traver)

EDIT: Denis is online right now! (6:08 PM EST)

Crap. Of course today had to be my first day of work in two month.

ringlord

beelzebozo said:
so what's the strategy for clowning these fools who blow up when you touch them? strictly guns? and what about the ice dudes who freeze your ass?

Yes, guns for the guys that are glowing, or you can juggle them into the air, then back away and let them fall and explode amongst their buddies.

PSGames

I use my Sword's Fierce move, it usually takes out the entire group of exploding enemies at once. It's a bitch to aim sometimes though.

As someone who defended Too Human, and enjoyed the demo, I'm quite disappointed with the final game. I finally got around to playing it, and just finished and I have to say...The storyline and characters are handled terribly. The storyline is presented poorly, the voice acting is terrible, the script is bad...Silicon Knights crafted a great story in Eternal Darkness, and they've been working on the story of Too Human for years and THIS is what we get? I'm pretty disappointed in every aspect of the storyline and presentation. It's never fully explained what's going on in this "world". It seems that SK left a lot out on purpose assuming that players already know the mythology. Grave mistake.

I do enjoy the core gameplay. I think by the final level however, it gets a little stale as the game just throws never ending masses at you and it just falls flat a bit. The graphics aren't amazing but aren't terrible for the most part. I was slightly disappointed that some of the undead enemies animate like the undead in Eternal Darkness. Like Silicon Knights hasn't made any leaps forward in their animation department.

Anyway, I'm glad I played it but I'm pretty disappointed overall. Silicon Knights has a lot of work to do for Too Human 2. Many improvements can be made. The first of which is giving Baldur an actual personality, not just an angry bald guy who swears at everybody. Wench, whore, bitch!

So a few questions...
Why did Hode kill Baldur? And why did he think he was Loki? And what are Loki's motivations?

TwoBacks

Neo Member
ToyMachine228 said:
Why did Hode kill Baldur? And why did he think he was Loki? And what are Loki's motivations?

I believe Loki modified Hode's eyepiece. But hell it might wind up being Heimdall with the way he played Baldur. There was a second signal being sent to the eyepiece that was overriding its output. Baldur was ordered to destroy any of the tech that he took from Hode by Heimdall. Baldur doesn't and his spider decodes what Hode was seeing. This is why I suspect Heimdall, I don't think he wants the second signal to be traced back to him. In the scene where Loki appears to Baldur as one of the Norns I believe he mentions how the Ymir/robots need leadership. Or it might be mentioned by Loki throughout the World Serpent. I believe his plan is to take a leadership position with the robots, run their manufacturing facilities and combine them with the giants to take on the Aesir.

I also think Thor was meant to show the depth of his character when Baldur confronts the Aesir during the epilogue. He is very brutish, up to that point, however the moment is very short.

mm04

For those that did many o'loot runs, I FINALLY got my first piece (helm) of my red class armor last night after 50 hours. My question is, when doing conveyor belt runs, do you remove your elite armor and put your +loot drop% stuff back on? That would suck that you can't even wear your set armor since it's probably doubtful it has a +loot drop% modifier on it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Xenon

mm04 said:
For those that did many o'loot runs, I FINALLY got my first piece (helm) of my red class armor last night after 50 hours. My question is, when doing conveyor belt runs, do you remove your elite armor and put your +loot drop% stuff back on? That would suck that you can't even wear your set armor since it's probably doubtful it has a +loot drop% modifier on it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Its a little disappointing to say but Red Epic armor isn't that great. Since all the slots are already taken with mostly items that are of little use, your better off getting red/orange ruins and building your own out a high level orange armor. WARNING: DO NOT WASTE ORANGE AESIR ARMOR . IT IS BETTER AND MORE VALUABLE THAN THE RED EPIC ARMOR. I had no idea it was so rare when I filled it with purple ruins =P

You should always have your loot percentage at %15. Just keep checking the shops until you get 3 5% and you'll be able to put all on one piece.

Steveko

mm04 said:
My question is, when doing conveyor belt runs, do you remove your elite armor and put your +loot drop% stuff back on? That would suck that you can't even wear your set armor since it's probably doubtful it has a +loot drop% modifier on it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yup, unfortunately the full red set contains no loot drop runes (from what I've seen so far). I've got a full set of red cyber champ armor and it has no loot drop. So yes, you'll need to keep your loot drop armor active to reap the benefits.

There is a 15% loot drop red rune in the game, although I haven't found one yet. Would be great to have as it would only take up one slot.

mm04

Xenon said:
Its a little disappointing to say but Red Epic armor isn't that great. Since all the slots are already taken with mostly items that are of little use, your better off getting red/orange ruins and building your own out a high level orange armor. WARNING: DO NOT WASTE ORANGE AESIR ARMOR . IT IS BETTER AND MORE VALUABLE THAN THE RED EPIC ARMOR. I had no idea it was so rare when I filled it with purple ruins =P

You should always have your loot percentage at %15. Just keep checking the shops until you get 3 5% and you'll be able to put all on one piece.

Thanks for the replies, Xenon and Steveko. Regarding the Aesir armor, I don't believe I've seen a drop of that yet. Does it have 4 open rune slots like the Altruists level 44 stuff?

Steveko

mm04 said:
Thanks for the replies, Xenon and Steveko. Regarding the Aesir armor, I don't believe I've seen a drop of that yet. Does it have 4 open rune slots like the Altruists level 44 stuff?

No prob. Aesir has 3 open, with the filled slot always being red. There are a few varities, each having a different predetermined red in it (some more helpful than others). Like Xenon said, they are very rare and better than epic since the empty slots can be filled with red.

GaryD

So I made it to level 50 after doing the campaign in co-op. Now I'm going through in single player and still haven't got a red amour and weapon item for my character :( I saw both the epic cannon and the epic single handed sword for my cybernetic champion in the shop, so I went out to grind for some cash, came back and they were gone :lol .

I have found an epic charm with that gives that gravity ball thing with + 1 to all stats, now I need to fill the charms required for it. Might be worth it for when I create a new character, I can give it to him. I am assuming there are no level requirements for charms?

I found that going back into the tree, to open all the oblisks, once you hit 50 is a good idea. Getting lots of better loot drops.

Top Bottom