• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

ksamedi

Recently bought this gama and I'm just finished the third level and I'm enjoying it. The game has flaws obviously. I picked the beserker class and I can't even count the number of times I died in the Ice Forest. All enemies are easy one on one but when they come in hordes its really hard to pick a target or see what is going on. I think they should balance that for the sequal and make it more managable. The story so far is decent and I like the artistic level designs.

Oh, and the penalty for dying is having to wait 15 seconds. Pretty stupid IMO.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yikes.

This was not a good game. Just finished for the first time. I do intend to play a little more postgame, but not for a while. This was one of the most disappointing experiences I've had this generation. I purchased the game earlier this week for $25, and I feel as though I should have waited for another price drop.

What the game does well:
- When you're in the swing of things, it actually does feel pretty good to mash the stick and slice through enemies.
- The environments seem very inspired visually.
- The variety of guns is pretty neat. I had a good time switching from laser weapons to rifles. Rarely used pistols.
- The music is solid.
- The non-human boss fights and larger enemies are excellent and a real pleasure to dismantle piece by piece.

What the game does not do well:
- The character designs are abysmal. I can't think of a single one that was remarkable, and they were all offensive on the eyes.

- Lipsynching and voice acting are both poor. I think the voice acting is generally poor because of both an awful script and the poor lipsynching.

- Cutscene performance. The game CHUGS in cutscenes. I'm not a frame counter, but yeesh. What's strange is that the game performs generally quite well in battle.

- The characters are flat. IGN mentioned in their "second opinion" review that there's no reason to care about any of these characters, and I agree. I started to empathize with Baldr a little bit in the last chapter of the game, but the rest of the characters are as flat as they come.

- The camera.

- In-battle voice clips. These are some of the worst I've ever heard. The lines are stupid, they repeat constantly. Hel cycled through her 2 or 3 lines probably about a dozen times when I fought her.

- Cyberspace. This is not a "break" or "variety", it's boring and slow.

- The Norn. Why are they half the time in a visible cutscene and half the time as magical voiceovers? Where are the voiceovers? The acoustic profile on their speech suggests they're standing next to Baldr, but their physical absence suggests they should be inside Baldr's head or coming from above.

- The alignment system. You're asked to make a choice at the beginning of the game, it's permanent, you're given very little information about the differences, and it's not clear that the choice makes a difference in how the game unfolds or how you play.

- Consistency; why can't I attack in Cyberspace? Why can't I attack or roll in Aesir? Why can I jump in both?

- Too much time spent managing loot. The menus are laggy, so I feel like every ten minutes I'm spending 3 or 4 just to upgrade my stuff and keep pace. The interface needs to allow people to quickly deal with stuff, even if it's at the expense of cool visual effects.

- Level design is junk. Totally linear corridor crawling for the most part. It's pretty easy to get lost as well because any side diversion is down another linear corridor. It's even easier to get lost in the World Tree; when you're three or four wells away from the start and you have no idea which part of the forest goes where, that's really annoying. It's never evident in a forking path which is the next logical step in the level and which is the dead end side corridor.

- Item stats. Since you're getting loot so often, you end up no longer taking the time to pay attention to the modifiers. It's more sensible to just say "does this do more damage?" or "does this prevent more damage?". It might be the case that in the post-game things slow down enough to really read and make decisions about items, but during the main experience it's all just a blur.

- The game doesn't tell you anything. You've got tons of menus, tons of control options, and it's all dumped on you at once. I didn't use a Rune the entire game because it wasn't obvious how I was supposed to. The fact that there's a two page control section in the menu and no tutorial means users are forced to basically read over the two pages and memorize them rather than sort of learning by doing.

- The HUD. So you have a level-up experience bar on the left, but then over to the right there's a section called "EXP". You've got a combo counter. You've got rings after rings. Is all this information always necessary? Is it being presented in the best way possible? Nope.

- The use of the music is poor. I get that epic music should flare up when I'm near enemies, but sometimes when I'm running a distant enemy will trigger than untrigger this music so I'm cutting in and out. Why are 90% of the tracks in the game fantasy inspired with the other 10% having crazy guitars or an industrial feel? There's not much in the way of cohesion here.

- The plot has clarity issues. After sitting down and reading parts of this thread, I am more aware of everything that happened, but when it happens in the game it's not all that obvious. Furthermore, it's not un-obvious in the "wow, what a cool mystery to unravel" way, it's un-obvious in the sense that you want to just mash through everything.

- The dialog is some of the worst ever. 90% of the dialog consists of reminders that you are watching Norse mythology. Look, instead of "Oh my God", he said "By Odin's beard!". Instead of "What the hell" he said "What the Helheim!" At one point in the third mission, a character says "I am become Death, Destroyer of Worlds", which is a quote from the Bhagavad Gita. Why are viking quoting Hindu scripture? Most of the conversations have this sort of freshman philosophy undertone to them that fails just as hard as it does in the "Tales of" series.

- Clipping. Why can't I jump over edges? Why does it feel like I'm in a box corridor even if it looks like I'm in this interesting ruin? Why do I have to walk down a u-shaped descending path instead of jumping down? I'm a God.

- The ending. It's not a cliffhanger. See Mass Effect for an awesome cliffhanger. You kill the last boss, fight several waves of basic enemies, go back to Aesir, hang around there for a bit, go to the feasting hall, and then you have a cutscene of fairly average intensity and a weird cutaway. Even the credits just sort of play average music and there's nothing pumping you to say "Woah, I really want to get into this series". This is bad, especially considering the entire Helheim section's plot really does amp things up and keep you interested.

- I do feel that the death system was a failed experiment just as BioShock's was, but it seems like it was an honest attempt so I'll give it a break.

I don't expect there to be a Too Human 2, and if there is I don't expect it to be published by Microsoft, and if it is I don't expect it to be high profile. If it is released and available to me, I'll consider playing it and I'd be happy to continue playing another game with the story consistently as intriguing as it briefly was near the end of this one. But there are serious design, gameplay, and technical issues that will need to be fixed. Were I a reviewer, this'd likely be a high 5 low 6 for me.

I hope I enjoy the post-game a little more.

Also, there's a section in the third mission where Loki taunts you and then two grenade launching big guys wake up. After that, you go down an elevator and fight two more as well as some small guys. I managed to screw up the game here by dying while fighting the guys on the bottom floor. I respawned on the top floor and the elevator would not come back up.

Xenon

Since I have a week to kill until LBP, I decided to finish up my achievements in TH. I only have a few left. One of which in the Unstoppable:Ice Forest which Im trying to do solo with my lvl 50 Commando. Almost made it last night but fell victim to a hammer smash's unusually long reach. =P

Is anyone else playing this game still?

border

It seems like the interest in this game died out as quickly as it came on. Maybe if the endgame loot curves wasn't so god-damned ridiculous there would have been a little more longevity to it.

If you want people to play or trade with, there's probably still a small active community over at the TooHuman.net forums.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I just received a copy from MS and am 4 hours into it and think its pretty sweet so far.
It's a lot of fun. Not sure why people hate it. It's pretty beautiful and simple.

Larsen B

border said:
It seems like the interest in this game died out as quickly as it came on. Maybe if the endgame loot curves wasn't so god-damned ridiculous there would have been a little more longevity to it.

If you want people to play or trade with, there's probably still a small active community over at the TooHuman.net forums.

I enjoyed the time I had with TH but this is the reason why I can't give it any more.

Especially with a number of much better games coming out, the idea of playing for another 40 hours for a less than 1% possibility of getting some epic loot (and all for only 5 gamerscore points).

Maybe 4 player co-op could have made me stick with it but its period in my 360 through the summer drought is now over.

Xenon

border said:

Agreed, the loot system has many problems. For me the biggest problem is the fact that all the epic and high level weapons are preset with same runes. At least with PSO you would be able to get better versions of the same weapon with higher damage %. I really hope SK is looking into a Diablo type patch to address the issues, but I doubt it.

I check TooHuman.net forums from time to time to see if there is any updates on DLC. I might look into some trades since I have about 30 red runes, most of which are useless for the commando.

Eventually I want to get at least one more character up to 50 but there are so many other games to play.

Larsen B said:
(and all for only 5 gamerscore points).

Yeah, even though points are meaningless, thats just crazy.

BigAT

I traded this in last week towards NBA2K9 ($35 at Blockbuster was too good to pass up).

While there was definitely a lot I enjoyed about the game, it just wasn't what I hoped it would be.

The story, although reasonably decent, started out incredibly slowly and really didn't pick up until the very end of the game. I think everyone's complaints about the cutscenes are valid. Whenever I was doing anything in the game that wasn't battle, all I could ever think was, "I could be killing shit RIGHT NOW. HOW COME I'M NOT KILLING ANYTHING?!"

Doing end game loot runs did not feel rewarding at all and there wasn't much motivation for me to do them. The lack of 4 player co-op, and the unique party combinations that would have resulted, really hurt the game's longevity. That and the fact that none of my close friends picked up the game took a lot of the replay value away from me.

Doodis

Xenon said:
Since I have a week to kill until LBP, I decided to finish up my achievements in TH. I only have a few left. One of which in the Unstoppable:Ice Forest which Im trying to do solo with my lvl 50 Commando. Almost made it last night but fell victim to a hammer smash's unusually long reach. =P

Is anyone else playing this game still?

I'm still trying to get a few more achievements in the game before the onslaught of fall games starts. I also have to get unstoppable on Ice Forest as well as Helheim. I've got a lvl 50 defender so we might be able to pull it off pretty easily. I've got several pretty good epic charms that will help out, I just haven't taken the time to do these lengthy levels for the achievement yet.

I'm going to try to hop on later tonight. Send me a friend request if you want.

GT: Les Doodis

fin

border said:
Maybe if the endgame loot curves wasn't so god-damned ridiculous there would have been a little more longevity to it.

qft

This is why I stopped playing too.

I'd still be down with tsome Coop, GT: Finjitzu

mm04

I put in close to 80 hours, the most I've put in towards a game in a looooooong time. But border is spot on about the end game loot. At about the 50 hour mark, I got my first elite armor drop. An hour later, I got my second armor drop. I have not seen one since. In the meantime, I've completed 2 level 3 charms and am close to one more and have collected about 15 elite runes and a handful of weapon plans.

At level 50, there should be a guarantee of an elite plan to drop off of Hel if you play the level from beginnning to end. It doesn't even have to be for my class, just to know an armor piece or even a weapon will drop would be nice. It would spur me to level up another class to 50 if I had elite armor for it.

I haven't given up on the game yet. If they release some decent DLC, I'll play it again seriously. But for now, I log on intermittently and play an hour or so of loot farming in hopes of another armor piece.

Xenon

Doodis said:
I'm still trying to get a few more achievements in the game before the onslaught of fall games starts. I also have to get unstoppable on Ice Forest as well as Helheim. I've got a lvl 50 defender so we might be able to pull it off pretty easily. I've got several pretty good epic charms that will help out, I just haven't taken the time to do these lengthy levels for the achievement yet.

I'm going to try to hop on later tonight. Send me a friend request if you want.

GT: Les Doodis

I want to solo Ice Forest for the Unstoppable but Ill help you get Helheim. I had a blast getting it solo. You really need to use every last option you character has. There were more than a few times where I was running on a sliver of health. Im going to try to play tonight. Ill send out a request if you’re online.

John Harker

wtf, why cant I remove that purple stuff when in Cyberspace?
I only have the green pushing power thing, and this is the 2nd well where there was that evil fog I couldnt remove

Xenon

John Harker said:
wtf, why cant I remove that purple stuff when in Cyberspace?
I only have the green pushing power thing, and this is the 2nd well where there was that evil fog I couldnt remove

you get the ability later
in a well at Hellheim

John Harker

Xenon said:
you get the ability later
in a well at Hellheim
oh so that means you have to go back through all these dungeons to clear the goo?
what up with that

btw, are there multiple endings here?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Damn guzz.

Really? I hate this game, biggest piece of shit i've played since Heavenly Sword. But to bring this thread back from the dead just for one last spit?

DeadGzuz

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Damn guzz.

Really? I hate this game, biggest piece of shit i've played since Heavenly Sword. But to bring this thread back from the dead just for one last spit?

I thought I was giving people a chance to get it cheap, I just got it my self via trade. Should I have made a new thread and got chewed out by another person instead?

The End

Despite its flaws, I did enjoy Too Human quite a bit. I remember Denis Dyack saying something about how his favorite class wasn't even in the game yet, but I don't know if there's still enough interest to release DLC. If it was a case of stuff already done being held back for later, that was a big mistake.

I'd grab some DLC. I'm not playing it at the moment but I'm not selling it. I can easily see firing it up again after the winter gaming surplus has run dry.

Glix

I'd probably grab DLC for this as well. I had a good time with this game so far. It is chillin for now, with all the insane releases that have come out, but I could definatley see myself going back to it.

I'd love to get to 50 (currently 42) and finish all the levels without dying (and getting the achievements). I've only had a perfect run on Hall of Heroes so far...

The End

I'd pay 800 spacebucks for a "dear god pay our salary" pack with two new classes, complete with gear, and a new dungeon with a higher drop rate.

Basically, I'll pay for substantial DLC, but not bullshit like "get all of the epic sets for 400" or "200 for the Spartan Armor Epic Set".

Ok, yeah, I'd pay for that last one.

jrricky

Banned
border said:
Given how quiet Silicon Knights has been post-release, I can only imagine bad things are happening.
Yup, too true.

I am deeply curious on how they are gonna feel with talking to press about this severe bomb of a four year project.

gcubed

thread back to life?

I picked up a 360 recently and got this because i'm always a sucker for hack and slashes. About 7 hours in at level 19, always up for some Co-op (have never tried it, but would love to play)

GT- LordFarquaad612

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow. Hi, TH thread. You're looking... wrinkly and senile, these days.

[edit] eh, seems like a good time to edit the OP with the latest Metacritic score. Which, sadly, has gone down two points since my last OP update on Sept. 2. Also, I'll throw gcubed's gamertag in for kicks.

gcubed

Danthrax said:
Wow. Hi, TH thread. You're looking... wrinkly and senile, these days.

[edit] eh, seems like a good time to edit the OP with the latest Metacritic score. Which, sadly, has gone down two points since my last OP update on Sept. 2. Also, I'll throw gcubed's gamertag in for kicks.

ha, thanks! I think GAF saved me on this game. I went in to this game expecting a steaming pile of shit, and IMO, so far i think its decent for how far i am in.

Joei

Anyone know where they're hiding this demo or if it's still even up? I looked through the list of all game demos and it's not there. I looked inside the e3 demo and Bringing it Home package and it's in neither of those. I also looked at the general Too Human DLC stuff and I see free trailers and purchasable DLC, but no demo. I was able to snag this game new for 9$, but have to wait a few weeks till it ships to my home address and wanted to check it out before it gets here.

aries_71

It seems like the demo is not in XBOX live any more.

I wonder if they pulled it out because they thought it was hurting sales.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
aries_71 said:
It seems like the demo is not in XBOX live any more.

I wonder if they pulled it out because they thought it was hurting sales.
What? I thought this thread resurfaced as a result of a new demo or something. I noticed that Too Human is listed as the most recent XBL demo right now.

Iberian

Strange, I'm in Europe and the Too Human demo is nowhere to be found in XBL.

The thing is that I'm considering buying the game for this xmas, but I wanted to check the demo before. And it's not there.

Joei

Spruce Moose said:
You got it new for $9? How?

MS had it at expertzone.com- a site that, if you're a retailer for MS products, you have access to. I worked at Best Buy for a short time last year in for some extra income and was able to get access to the site. They briefly had TH for $9 and I was able to grab a copy. I've been playing it for the past week or so. I like the game, but it definitely has its faults. The fact that there is no tutorial for this kind of game is amazing. This game has loads of stuff to dump on the player without at least giving you some kind walk through. I've played about 7 hours worth and I still have no idea what some stuff does. I'm not sure how ruiners work or differentiate from each other, charms are like, "oooooooookaaay....," and I keep dying, a lot. All the different stats on the weapons and armor seems pretty meaningless. Other than the armor and damage stats, everything else is nonsense. When it says one weapon is a piercing weapon, one armor protects against this or that, I'm not sure what it means. How do I know who is weak to piercing or who is attacking me a certain way that one said armor could protect against?

On the plus side I've definitely gotten into the battle system. I like the guns and melee style of combat. I like the loot setup, if only so much of the stuff didn't seem like filler. I like the general graphics of the game and don't find it too bad. The variety and style of the dungeons could be worked on though. I think this game definitely has potential, but I can totally understand why it's gotten the low marks it has.

Crap! I went to Gamestop with reasons of checking out some games that are on my backlog. Too Human was one of them that I was most interested in. Guess which game I forgot to look for. Too Human.

But I did get Bioshock, CoD4, Halo 2 and 3, and Bad Company

So I've been playing this game for about 5 or 6 hours now, and I really am having a hard time finding the will to continue. I think the biggest downer for me is that, no matter how much I level or what armor/weapons I get, there is no tangible benefit to me. The enemies remain just as difficult to defeat, and there are simply some impossible scenarios where I have to die 2-3 times just to continue. I never feel like a god. Meanwhile Thor over there just stands around and does shit for damage, despite the big threatening hammer.

I am trying to give this game a chance. I have been waiting to play Too Human for a long time, but this is just a huge disappointment. Where did all those years of development go?

aries_71

Finally picked Too Human.

My God... for a universally declared mediocre game, this thing surely is good. Not only I find the gameplay engrossing, the graphics are superb and the story is good. Sure, it gots its problems (I hate the cyberspace sections), but I think it deserved better score and criticism.

A pity is so short.

a little late to this...er...party but i think this game is dope. i'm not too happy about being interrupted so often by the story, but i think the game is a lot of fun

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I thought the game was awesome until I got to Grendel 1. Wtf was that shit? I desperately wanted non right analogue combat for that boss. Got the game for 10 bucks new at best buy so I cant be upset but come on!

You cannot die is that right? Kind of like fable 2. But what's the downside of constantly dying I dont get it.

Game is pretty cool though, I like the loot system. I'm using a defender dude right now.

Good thing I just watched Beowulf like 2 months ago.

Aaron

Probably shouldn't have gone with a defender playing solo. While they can soak damage, they're not so good dishing it out, making most battles pretty slow. The default class is a good mix of everything, though you can also get far with commando since you'll be fighting mostly from a distance. Though to be honest, most of the boss fights are annoying. Since there's only five of them it's not a big deal.

Make sure to learn to mix melee, ranged, and air attacks. That's the essence of the game. Sticking to one will either get you clobbered or take way too long.

Top Bottom