• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Gear New Series |OT| No Longer Starring Chris Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elandyll

Banned
Imo they should replace Chris Evans by Chris Evans, this way I won't find the OT title confusing anymore

chris-evans-gty-bio.jpg

/Jk

Hystzen

Chris would be fine if he didn't act like a child on sugar rush shouting screaming and trying be funny (also change your clothes man if it filmed back to back change in between like rest of cast did).

The ultimate issue is BBC just thinking old top gear with new cast would work. It doesn't you need get a group working before you get back to that style show.

ag-my001

I've finally seen some of the mid season episodes. The news about Evans is welcome. However, I think the writing is the area that needs the most fixing. Terrible jokes that wouldn't work no matter who was saying them.

Keep Sabine and Matt (don't know the others, they weren't featured), but let Sabine do more of the reviews. She knows what she's doing, so let her tell us about it.

Chris would be fine if he didn't act like a child on sugar rush shouting screaming and trying be funny

I'd agree with the first episode, but that really didn't happen for the rest. If anything he was really quite subdued for the latter episodes. I do agree about the clothes thing though, was a bit gross.

Keep Sabine and Matt (don't know the others, they weren't featured), but let Sabine do more of the reviews. She knows what she's doing, so let her tell us about it.

Honestly, Chris Harris and Rory Reid were both fantastic (as were Sabine and Matt). Though I'm not sure Sabine would work as a lead presenter, the other 3 are golden IMO. Eddie is alright as the old Irishman to laugh at but doesn't bring much else to the table.

Breakage

They should ditch Sabine and Matt Le Blanc too.
Chris Harris and Rory Reid could run the show imo. They need unknown personalities to front the show so it can develop into its own thing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
What they should've done is get someone passionate about cars who's funny, likeable and witty and possibly well known(not necessarily though), and let them choose their own co-hosts who they work well with.

The reason why the old trio had so much chemistry was because they were totally comfortable with each other.

Anyways, Top Gear isn't really Top Gear without the old guys.

Gallbaro

Banned
While I think from a entertainment point of view Sabine would make for a much more interesting lap time driver than the Stig character, I realized they made one more mistake this season with that character.

In challenges where the stig would be the 4th racer, they used Eddie Jordan. Stig on the luxury train would have been very entertaining.

IMO the problems are bigger then Chris.

A big one is They need to get the heck away from that airfield and studio and completely divorce themselves from old TG. Right now it is like a meh cover band

Abounder

Banned
Good riddance to Evans but unfortunately I haven't seen worthwhile chemistry from the rest of the bunch, so my hope remains low for the future of this show. Hopefully we at least get 1 exotic trip special next season - that's the bit they should have copied.

You just can't replace the Big 3 + Andy Wilman, might as well be the rat pack of car shows

I'm of the opinion that the old Top Gear formula was getting old well before Clarkson got fired.

Not sure what they do going forward now as it all feels so forced and stale as it is.

Ensirius

I think LeBlanc did a great job with what he got. He needs to stay for next season.
I'm glad the other dude is gone, he was annoying and just... overdid it.

LoveCake

I wonder if the rumours about the rest of the cast and crew hating Evans are behind this?

The rumours have been on going since the start, some that Evans was worse to crew than Jezza was (other than that one fracas which had a back-story, even so was no excuse for what Jezza did), but we will never know for sure, I have gone on and off Evans over the years, I didn't think he was right for Top Gear, he has been getting a huge amount of stick on Twitter and the newspapers have been after him as well, it will take it's toll, I admit sending a tweet to Top Gear and copying in Evans saying that the first show was rubbish, which is the general consensus but I have not been attacking to the heights like many many have been, Evans was doing the best he could do, it just wasn't right for him, sending him abuse is not the right thing to do.

The ratings were what did it in the end I think, Evans knew it was going to be a tough gig to pull off from the start, and must have just got fed up with all the hate.

Other than Chris Harris and maybe Rory Reid, the format needs to either change big style or get a ready made team of pals, there are some good ones on YouTube where Chris Harris came from (he has done lots of car stuff before though).

These two know each other already and are very good imo, and Tim (Shmee150) knows Chris Harris.
MrJWW
Shmee150

Mascot

Christ alive, career gobshite Chris Moyles has just thrown his hat into the ring.

COME BACK EVANS, ALL IS FORGIVEN!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks like the resignation actually followed a police investigation being opened today into allegations of sexual assault that occurred back in the 1990s:

The UK’s Telegraph says London Metropolitan Police confirmed a woman made a report to officers on May 23, days before Top Gear returned to the air, about a “non-recent sexual assault” related to “incidents in Tower Hamlets in the 1990s.”

And as a bonus:

In an interview with the Sunday Times in 2005, Evans admitted his penchant for exposing himself at work.

The newspaper reported that Evans “frequently exposed himself at the offices of Ginger Media Group, which owned Virgin Radio and television shows such as TFI Friday. He would interrupt meetings by standing up to pull down his tracksuit bottoms to reveal that he was sexually aroused.”

At the time, Evans told the newspaper: “If you get your willy out, it’s the funniest thing in the world. Everybody laughs, everyone of our generation. I wouldn’t do it in front of my mum, for example. Girls love it; boys -‘Oh, I can’t believe you did that’. It also takes the night to a new level. I actually haven’t done it for a while. But I will do it again.”

Fox Mulder

The reason why the old trio had so much chemistry was because they were totally comfortable with each other.

Anyways, Top Gear isn't really Top Gear without the old guys.

They also had years to grow together. It will be nearly impossible to do this now with how huge the show is and the demand for ratings and instant success.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What amazing news.

LeBlanc, Harris, and Reid as the primary.

Sabine for the extra professional hardcore insights, and Jordan for the old-man comedy.

Arials

Of course, I don't know anything about British bro-celebrities, so the only pair I can come up with is Mitchell and Webb

lol, Mitchell can't drive he's scared of it. That's how unbro-ish/unsuited for Top Gear he is

They should stick with Rory, Harris and Le Blanc IMO, unless they find and screen test someone who gels in amazingly.

Rich!

I'd watch Top Gear again if it was just all the boys from the Dwarf.

that reminds me

new dwarf in september, ooohh yess

Red Dwarf XI, the eleventh series of the legendary sci-fi comedy, reunites the original cast of Chris Barrie (Rimmer), Craig Charles (Lister), Danny John-Jules (Cat) and Robert Llewellyn (Kryten) along with a host of guest stars for a brand new series recorded in front of a live studio audience at Pinewood Studios. The series is written and directed by Red Dwarf co-creator, Doug Naylor, and produced by Richard Naylor and Kerry Waddell for Baby Cow Productions & Grant Naylor Productions.

The show's six episode run sees two of the Dwarfers' dreams come true: Rimmer accidentally saves the life of a Space Corps Captain and is promoted to Officer, while Cat takes time off from being in love with himself to fall in love with a female Cat with a secret. Meantime, Lister wakes up to discover a deranged droid has stolen some of his body parts and Kryten has a mid-life crisis and considers leaving the Dwarfers for a younger crew. The posse also find themselves in an alternative America where modern technology is outlawed, making both Kryten and Rimmer illegal.

With big laughs and dazzling effects, Red Dwarf XI recaptures the show's golden age.

I watched just some 15 minutes of the first episode and didn't feel the need to go back and follow the next episodes because I couldn't stand the guy. Here, people were saying that it wasn't that bad, but it was. So much so that he is stepping down now.

I don't know, it could be a good thing if they manage to find a good lead presenter to replace him. In the other hand, it could be just one more step in the long death of Top Gear because as good as the new guy, or guys, could be, they'll always fell short of the now Amazon's trio.

Dobsie

Can't believe they kept the cringeworthy 2 stars introducing each other all season.
Also there's really no need for the stig now that they've got 2 very good drivers in Sabine and Harris, it needs a complete new refresh and keeping the stig doesn't make sense.
More guest features with the likes of Button and Coulthard would be welcome, those guys have been entertaining in the past and seem to be naturals.
Who takes over as lead presenter now? God knows, LeBlanc might not even want to associate himself with the show after the pretty piss poor viewing figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom