• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Gear New Series |OT| No Longer Starring Chris Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Evans has got to go... Isn't he executive producer or something though?

I actually think they need to trim allot of people. Sabine is like the Stig but with lines. Why not just have her do the hot laps (or is she already...?) same with Harris really. Do we need 3 racing drivers? Roy is the only one that really reminds me of the old show, lots of enthusiasm and knowledge. More of him please.

The 2 guests with audience voting is like dead air. Say what you want about clarkson but he could work that crowd. Really stiff and uncomfortable with Evans.

Joey is ok I guess... But can we just have him salvage the us top gear? I don't know why they thought they needed an American for us to identify with and I am mad that it's working. Maybe it's my imagination but he does seem to be actually enjoying himself even if they have him written as the straight shootin' American vs the wild and wacky Brit Evans. Ugh.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Joey doesn't need to salvage the American Top Gear, it has been really enjoyable for some time now. After the second season they stopped aping the UK format and the hosts started to gel.

p2535748

The Harris segment was excellent, Rory Reid's segment was good, but the in studio stuff is still largely terrible, and the central challenge was pretty poor too.

It was weird, they sort of introduced it as a race, except had them leave at different times, then ignored the whole racing part by introducing the chef stuff, the reintroduced the race aspect, and then it ended. Other than the selection of a motorcycle, car choice never really mattered, and none of the challenges were terrible interesting. Previously, the challenges always had a central theme with challenges layered on top of them, this seemed like they came up with stuff on the fly. It just seemed really half baked.

Still, it was probably the best episode of the season so far.

Mascot

Just watched last Sunday's episode.

Does multi-millionaire Chris Evans only own one set of fucking clothes? And did he buy them in a second-hand charity shop? He looks like a tramp and his fat pasty stomach keeps getting exposed. It's not pleasant.

Maybe Evans is trying to break Tim Shaw's record of wearing the same pair of jeans throughout a whole series of Fifth Gear.

Mascot

Evans is an egotistical narcissist, so there's no way he's oblivious to all this criticism. I reckon he'll quit after this season.

I like LeBlanc he doesn't comes off as a loud obnoxious character matter of fact I'd like to see him do some car reviews I think he'd be good, given up on Evans still don't get why Jordan's needed either

Tonight's show really felt the brunt of the lack of news: three mostly serious reviews in a row to start the show, without much hugely oooh fun childlike joy about them, or anything to break them up - in the way the news bit did. All fine reviews, but not great in terms of TG's mental balance. And then it hit the Star In A Rallycross Car so zzzzzzzzzzz

Archer

I'm on a Top Gear polling panel, similar to a Nielson ratings family. Ever since TG returned they acknowledge that many panel participants are saying very negative things about Chris Evans, and between Ep 2 and Ep 3 all but admitted they reduced screen time for Evans. It's unanimous worldwide that Evans must leave if the franchise is to continue, let alone thrive and flourish.

I don't even like looking at him, let alone listen to his rants. How in the world did he get with Billie Piper back in the day?

Newlove

This Aston Martin segment Rory is good, he deserves more screen time. Matt had a good segment. But agreed, the Star in a Reasonably priced car section was Zzzz. The interaction between Matt and Chris seem a bit too wooden, its not as natural feeling as Clarkson and co. I've noticed Chris is shouting less this week.

Yeah - the Austin section was good by its own right, just around a lot of... similar stuff.

However - the Jaguar section, that certainly had a good hook and a greatly edited intro to get you interested.

Ash_69

I loved tonight's episode. Entertaining reviews and Reid continues to impress. Really enjoyed the rolls review too. Weakest section was Evans' superlight review. He really isn't good at reviewing cars. He should stick to siarpc and the show would be twice as good.

terrible

Banned
I loved tonight's episode. Entertaining reviews and Reid continues to impress. Really enjoyed the rolls review too. Weakest section was Evans' superlight review. He really isn't good at reviewing cars. He should stick to siarpc and the show would be twice as good.

I liked the superlight bit myself, though I was genuinely interested in the car so it would've been hard for me to not like it.

Mascot

Just watched last Sunday's episode.

Does multi-millionaire Chris Evans only own one set of fucking clothes? And did he buy them in a second-hand charity shop? He looks like a tramp and his fat pasty stomach keeps getting exposed. It's not pleasant.

Maybe Evans is trying to break Tim Shaw's record of wearing the same pair of jeans throughout a whole series of Fifth Gear.

I've just watched episode 5 and Evans is still in exactly the same fucking clothes!

This has to be a joke, right?

RS4-

Can't stand Evans. I honestly skipped every time he was on screen in the recent ep. I pretty much stopped watching when they did the old vs new shit after the Jag segment.

Rich!

Cool.

Catastrophic fucking failure isn't really a fair assessment of what's going on with Top Gear, though, and it's a shame to kick that thread off with that sort of forced rivalry garbage.

My language may have been harsh, but hardly unwarranted.

Can't stand Evans. I honestly skipped every time he was on screen in the recent ep. I pretty much stopped watching when they did the old vs new shit after the Jag segment.

I've just watched episode 5 and Evans is still in exactly the same fucking clothes!

This has to be a joke, right?

...who cares? The poor bloke can't even wear his own clothes without being criticized for doing something wrong. I'm sure there are legit issues with the show to criticize, but an individual's personal choice of clothing? Let the man be.

Mascot

...who cares? The poor bloke can't even wear his own clothes without being criticized for doing something wrong. I'm sure there are legit issues with the show to criticize, but an individual's personal choice of clothing? Let the man be.
No. He's a fucking disgrace.

LoveCake

Chris Evans pulled Billie Piper back in the day. LOL.

'pulled' as in, the first date the 34-year-old media mogul took the teenager on a bar crawl, before ending up at Stringfellow's nightclub in London.

And the day after Chris turned up at Billie's house with a £100,000 silver Ferarri covered in red roses - despite the fact she couldn't drive - and asked her to marry him.

He did say this "I know you don't care about any of this and nor do I, but I had to stop you in your tracks. If you don't want it, sell it and give it to charity. I think you're wonderful. Will you marry me?"

I liked Chris back when he was doing The Big Breakfast, but the bigger he has got the more about him everything he does becomes, he just doesn't know when to stop or where the line is, even people like me who used to like him, he can just in a instant rub you up the wrong way.

The last show when the Mclaren 675LT was on he was on about how have has gone out and got one for himself then there was the comparison between the new Rolls Royce and then he turns up in his classic Rolls Royce and proclaims that it is better, like some loads-a-money flash git, we all know that Jezza, May and Hammond had some very nice cars but they always said that when they had one it went from cool to un-cool, they were never ever flash about it.

The new series of Jay Leno's Garage on NBC is better then this series of Top Gear.

Link to the official YT Jay Leno channel where the first ep of series two has been uploaded.

This week's Extra Gear is a great one if you'd like to imagine what Top Gear would be like without Evans, as there's a bit with Reid/Harris/Evans/Schmidt all together chatting.

Trokil

Banned
It was a very good episode. I really liked all the segments. The NSX looks awesome and the MGB looked like a fun car, but 100k is still a lot of money for it.

I haven't seen tonight's episode yet: did Evans go 6-0 with his tramp clothes?
I believe he did

It wasn't a bad episode, just a bit ho hum

The show has a future once the cast show some actual chemistry rather than the forced humour. And Evans has to go.

Timbuktu

I quite enjoyed this series. They are obviously finding their feet, but I would agree that it would be better without Evans. Promoting Harris would work; the pipe dream that is bringing in Button would be awesome. Mi would mind them being more free to lose the remaining nods to the old show, it can be fresher than the old trio if they work to their own strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom