• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Gear New Series |OT| No Longer Starring Chris Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humidex

Less Evans makes for a better Top Gear experience. Even with Matt coming across as very very stiff this time round. Harris and Reid did good, would like to see more of them on the main show.

milanbaros

Member?
Very good episode.

Loved the Ferrari and Hatchback films.

The weakest film was Matt's and he continues to be a bit awkward.

The audience applause for voting needs to go. It doesn't work. People just cheer. Should have cards to hold up if they insist. Pretty sure they had to sound mix to get a clear winner in the first round.

mclem

The audience applause for voting needs to go. It doesn't work. People just cheer. Should have cards to hold up if they insist. Pretty sure they had to sound mix to get a clear winner in the first round.

I mean, that's pretty much what's expected. There's no intention of making it a real vote; the point is really to have both the guests tied so the lap is what matters. In real terms it's more a means of provoking discussion about the guests' car history.

Bo-Locks

There are little things that can still be improved but that was much, much better. As good as anything I've seen on Top Gear for a while.

LoveCake

Better, only due to the cars though and Chris Harris still the best thing by miles, what I did notice though is even though the cars were more the sort of cars I like, nobody other than Chris Harris managed to transmit any excitement through to the viewer (me at least) it still seems that the presenters are trying to hard, once again not Chris Harris though because his F12 TDF was as good as the content he used to do himself on YouTube, the BBC should just get rid of all the presenters other than Chris Harris give him the Top Gear budget and let him do his thing.

They need to ditch Chris Evans, Eddie Jordan, the studio stuff and the 'stars in the rally-cross car' imo.

They have bought themselves another week from me.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Good episode I thought, felt packed. At one point I thought to myself "i guess they're not doing a challenge/gimmick segment this week" as i assumed they just few getting to the end, completely forgetting that I'd seen the preview for Matt's trip around London. They missed a trick by not having him get into the map though.

fritolay

I don't feel like the new hosts know enough about cars. When they do talk I am guessing it is what they have been taught or told. If they do know then the show fails in this regard cause it feels scripted when they compare cars and talk about engines, like in EP2.

It's still as bad as the first episode from the bits I saw whilst flicking channels, even the Ken Block piece was total crap compared to the James May one, and next week we get their take on the car vs train challenge. There's just no hope with Evans and LeBlanc being the main players in this, I'm out.

Mascot

Lose Evans from in front of the camera, ditch the awkward stars/cars format, castrate the person who thought 'clap to vote' was ever a good idea aaaaand... this might just work.

Ratings down again to 2.4 million according to Guardian after 2.8 million last week.

A shame, as I think it's starting to settle in nicely. I quite enjoyed last night's episode.

123rl

Much, much, better. Ditch Evans altogether, lose the rally segment, let Joey take over the studio, and let Harris and Reid do at least one review/segment each per episode. If every episode was like this, I'd say this was as good as old Top Gear

Hope the producers have taken note of how much better this is when Harris and Reid are on the show.

Evans again managed to say absolutely nothing about a car. Sabine is cool, but in terms of talking about cars, I feel she may be held back by her not being a native speaker. This could be a lot better if those two made room for Harris and Reid.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hope the producers have taken note of how much better this is when Harris and Reid are on the show.

Evans again managed to say absolutely nothing about a car. Sabine is cool, but in terms of talking about cars, I feel she may be held back by her not being a native speaker. This could be a lot better if those two made room for Harris and Reid.

Turns out Harris and Rory will be in every episode going forward and Evans has been asked to step back by producers?

I think even Harris or Reid tweeted about how they'll have a vid in every episode.

AlphaSnake

Pretty good ep this week. Matt is still pretty awkward tho. seems like he doesn't even want to be there.

Disagree. Matt seems fine. But Evans' terrible acting and him pretending to "run away" scared in all of the episodes thus far is grating. Make him stop.

clockpunk

Despite being a HUGE fan of the original Top Gear, my message to the BBC regarding this remake is merely one of absolute apathy. I simply do not care, and am not giving it any attention whatsoever, and especially no viewing figure. Particularly as Evans thrives off hate. Best of luck to 'em (sounds like they need it, by all accounts) - I'll just be here awaiting the Agra d Tour patiently. :)

Timbuktu

They're going too get better and I don't think they are far off the old guys already in this last episode. Not sure why I can't summon any enthusiasm for the Amazon show though.

DasRaven

Less Evans; More Reid/Harris! Gods be praised!

lachen-16646.gif

Show's definitely improved since the first episode, more Harris/Reid bodes well. Something needs to be done about the celeb guest segments as those are the weakest part of the show by far.

kharma45

jelly

Sabine bit was good minus Evan really.

Loved the Matt segment just for how bonkers it was, Block can drive and how fast was that car! The scripted bits were on point.

I'm not sure of Harris or Reid, I like them delving into cars more but they aren't that good at presenting, I didn't think Reid had anything interesting to say whatsoever. Harris was better but pretty awful with superlatives like Reid.

AlphaSnake

That's a sensible decision. Can't wait to hear the ginger Kermit's spin on the whole thing...

I suspect he's not going to say anything.

Great news though. Should have been like this from the start.

You guys are over-analyzing the whole thing.

You're forgetting that much of episodes 1-3 were filmed first, before Harris and Reid joined the cast. So naturally those episodes didn't include them much at all. Though I get the suspicion that the F12TDF video was added into the 3rd episode last minute, just so they could feature Harris in it and gauge response.

Naturally, Harris's and Reid's videos would end up airing later on in the show's season. So this is what we're seeing. I don't necessarily think it's a blunt matter of the producers telling Evans to take a backseat. It's just that the show took some time to assemble a cast last year and was partially recorded without a full cast just to meet an airing deadline for a new season.

Harris' and Reid's segments were the best of last weeks show, great reviews, they need to balance that with the buffoonery, although keep it light on that end, also More than Less Evans i think he needs to tone it down a notch, too screechy and shouty

seanoff

just watched Ep3

its missing something/s some of them intangible. its also lacking the interplay that was natural with clarkson, may and hammond

bringing in Sabine to do the serious driving is not working from a show POV if you cant drive it well enough to do it yourself, what are you doing?

and they just shout in the studio. even matt was doing it.

its sort of watchable but it isnt in the class of the Clarkson Hammond May top gear

Was a real surprise how good the third show was. All the car segments were top stuff.

Only problems is the celebrities introducing each other, asking the audience to vote and the silly jumps and water splashes of the laps. It's pretty cringey stuff.

Wow a Top Gear episode with lots of CARS in it? Really? Actually enjoyed this week's offering.

Audi R8 V10 Plus film

My goodness, a Chris Evans car review that was actually competent! He actually went into some details about the car's features and Sabine thrashing it around Laguna Seca with and without the driver aids was a nice twist on just doing laps. The long-coming joke of Chris Evans throwing up was cheesy at best, and the Stig intros are still a bit awkward but, overall definitely much better than his McLaren review last week.

Ferrari F12 film

Easily the best car review of the new series so far (and was better than quite a number of ones we were getting from the old trio for a while before their last series and the unholy trinity of the LaFerrari, P1 and 918) and it showed why the main show needs more Chris Harris - he's a natural in driving at the same time as talking about the car in question, and his passion for motoring shone through the entire film. It actually felt like I was watching Top Gear again!

Star in Rally Cross Car

Only two celebrities this time, still with the cheesy "read from teleprompter" intros, interview segment was actually tolerable and better structured this time. I'm still not sold on the audience interaction with first car and best car but I might get used to it, still loving the new track though.

Hot Hatches

Looks like Rory Reid can drive a car decently too! Ford Focus RS, Honda Civic and Mercedes A class in one film. He's got a younger fresher approachable take on presenting cars (helps he's thrashing around in more relatable hatchbacks rather than exotic supercars), not as nerdy on the details as Harris but still sells it better than Evans for me.

Top Gear Tour of London

Matt Le Blanc continues his "fish out of water" routine with THAT controversial drive around London with Ken Block, with Top Gear's cinematography at its finest. It was definitely fun to see someone driving around my home town with a bit of anger.

Overall, MUCH better episode than the previous two weeks, still a bit too much clapping and awkwardness in the studio links between segments for my liking, Evans still trying a bit hard (though thankfully the load was shared with Sabine, Harris and Reid this time) and I would still like some car news in the main show. The upshot though is that, as long as they can keep the focus on the cars (as well as insert the Extra Gear guys into the main show more often) I actually want to see more of this.

Agreed, nice rundown and nice to see the Ford Focus back on top again.

I think the issue is that we've so far really only seen Sabine to do that - rather than as a part of the team in her own right. So if she's only drafted in to do the proper heavy test, it feels a bit rubbish.

That said - she'll be more involved this week:
This series of the world's biggest motoring show continues as Chris Evans, Matt LeBlanc and Sabine Schmitz buy cheap second-hand cars and head for Venice. The aim? To prove road travel can be more luxurious than taking the train.

Elsewhere, Rory Reid heads to New York to sample the all-electric Tesla Model X, while Chris Harris dons his race helmet to drive the most powerful Aston Martin of all time - the fearsome Vulcan. Bear Grylls and Brian Cox are the Stars in a Rallycross Car.

mclem

They are having a race to Venice against a train tonight hmm

Not a race - or at least, they're not describing it as a race as now. The premise is trying to get the most luxorious trip to Venice buying a car for less than a ticket on the Orient Express.

LoveCake

Not a race - or at least, they're not describing it as a race as now. The premise is trying to get the most luxorious trip to Venice buying a car for less than a ticket on the Orient Express.

Yeah, well they are now having to cook a meal in the cars and on Matt's bike.

Who came up with this idea :/

I liked it when they had to catch their own food.

CgEhBlE.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom