• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

mcrae

It's a ~35 minute walk for me to Victory Cafe. That is fine during the day, but might be annoying at 11pm especially if it's cold. Bus or LR would save about 10-15 minutes if the weather sucks.

lol if by that time we arent fueled and ready to drink till 2 am i will consider it a failed evening

mcrae

sup dudes. just copying Zzoram's post from the Starcraft 2 thread. there is a barcraft going on Feb 26th. 4-11 pm, no admission, hang out drink beer watch videogames get to know some GAF members. we might meet at a different bar for a drink first before going to acquaint ourselves with each other.

to clarify, we're going to watch starcraft 2 games. MLG Winter Arena Finals to be exact. and to drink. personally i'm 50/50/50, drinking/starcraft/meeting gaf members.

http://www.teamliquid.net/barcraft/info/41_toronto-mlg-winter-arena-victory-cafe

Toronto, Victory Cafe, Feb.26th, Barcraft:

Going:

Zzoram
Pandaman
scogoth
mcrae
TheNiX

Maybe:
Spl1nter
caderyn
Silversun

mcrae

well im going to meet for a drink before, and if you guys arent where i am, then you're in the wrong location.

8 hours? i thought you said you were in university.

Zzoram

Teamliquid Page

MLG Winter Arena - Player List:

MLG Providence '11 Top 8
Leenock, Naniwa, DongRaeGu, Mvp, Huk, MC, Haypro, Idra
European OQ Top 8
Violet, Ret, Thorzain, Pomi, Socke, Sjow, Grubby, Merz
Korea/Taiwan OQ Top 8
Nestea, Parting, Losira, MarineKing, Oz, STC, Ganzi, San
North American OQ Top 8
Drewbie, Ddoro, Sheth, SaSe, Axslav, Artist, Minigun, DDE

Toronto, Victory Cafe, 4pm-10pm, Feb.26th, BARCRAFT:

Going:
Zzoram
Pandaman
scogoth
mcrae
TheNiX

Maybe:
Spl1nter
caderyn
Silversun

Hey guys, you'll never guess which local fiscal conservative supports large corporate bonuses:

Councillor Doug Ford and a fellow fiscal conservative clashed Tuesday over the salaries of executives at Build Toronto, Toronto’s city-owned real estate company.

Lorne Braithwaite, Build’s CEO, was paid $453,000 in 2010, including a bonus of $153,000. A senior vice-president, Don Logie, made $318,000, including a bonus of $106,000.

Build Toronto does not get direct handouts from taxpayers, but pays its employees with the money it makes selling or developing surplus public land.

The company was launched in 2009; 2010 was its first full year of operation. It returned a $20 million dividend to city coffers in 2011, and its chair, Oxford Properties Group CEO Blake Hutcheson, says it expects to provide $70 million this year.

Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong, the Build critic whose successful council motion forced the company to disclose the salaries, called the bonuses exorbitant. But Ford, Build’s vice-chair, strongly defended them.

Braithwaite is the former CEO of Cambridge Shopping Centres, a giant. Ford said he is “one of the top people in real estate in the country,” that Build is “four years ahead of schedule,” and that Braithwaite skillfully spearheaded a joint venture, finalized in 2011, to develop a 75-storey condo on a complicated property on York St.

“You can get a guy half-assed and pay him 100 grand a year, and the Tridel deal — the average guy would have sold that property for $5 million. When you bring Lorne Braithwaite in, he turned that $5 million into $40 million for the city. That’s the difference between a good guy and a half-assed guy,” Ford said.

Minnan-Wong said Build’s work is not exceptionally complicated: “By and large, they’re selling land for residential redevelopment. That’s hardly a difficult job in this market.” And he said its executives should not have made salaries “far in excess of any of the senior management at City Hall” for a year in which they closed only one deal.

“Something is terribly, terribly wrong when Build Toronto pays out massive bonuses and all they can show for the year is one transaction,” he said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/cityhal...-over-build-toronto-ceo-s-453-000-salary?bn=1

Thats the same as the Ontario Tories defending the crazy bonuses that hospital CEOs get

But of course this doesn't apply to Toronto city workers who should be paid as little as possible and not based on wanting to get the best work done

Thats the same as the Ontario Tories defending the crazy bonuses that hospital CEOs get

But of course this doesn't apply to Toronto city workers who should be paid as little as possible and not based on wanting to get the best work done

Toronto city workers are pretty fucking well-paid compared to a lot of employees working retail banking in Toronto, at least they're not forced to speak a foreign language.

Zzoram

Barcraft? I don't even play Starcraft, I'll have no idea what's going on watching it lol

What better place to learn than surrounded by friendly nerds? People will gladly answer your questions, and hopefully the casters will explain things for new people.

whitehawk

Banned
Does anyone know where to get the cheapest full version of Windows 7 premium? I have a mac and want to dual boot so I can play some PC games. I'm a student so a student discount could work, but I couldn't find any online (except for a professional upgrade, but i cant use an upgrade).

Zzoram

Does anyone know where to get the cheapest full version of Windows 7 premium? I have a mac and want to dual boot so I can play some PC games. I'm a student so a student discount could work, but I couldn't find any online (except for a professional upgrade, but i cant use an upgrade).

Canada Computers has it for $104.99

Toronto photo of the day:

6869754475_8a078f6813_b.jpg

Actually you can use an upgrade to do a full install unless they fixed it. If you google it you should find some guides on how to do it. It's completely legitimate.

Boogie

sup dudes. just copying Zzoram's post from the Starcraft 2 thread. there is a barcraft going on Feb 26th. 4-11 pm, no admission, hang out drink beer watch videogames get to know some GAF members. we might meet at a different bar for a drink first before going to acquaint ourselves with each other.

to clarify, we're going to watch starcraft 2 games. MLG Winter Arena Finals to be exact. and to drink. personally i'm 50/50/50, drinking/starcraft/meeting gaf members.

A meetup to watch....a game of Starcraft.

Ya, I think Imma going to pass on that. :p

Boogie

Have you ever met up to watch a bunch of men run around a field and touch each other aggressively? With other guys no less.

Yeah, I think I'll go to the barcraft.

You mean "sports"? I think the word you're looking for is "sports". Yes, I do, from time to time, watch "sports".

Hey, all I'm saying is if you want the appeal of a meet up to be kept to as narrow a group as possible, you're doing a great job!

Zzoram

You mean "sports"? I think the word you're looking for is "sports". Yes, I do, from time to time, watch "sports".

Hey, all I'm saying is if you want the appeal of a meet up to be kept to as narrow a group as possible, you're doing a great job!

This is a video game forum.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Have you ever met up to watch a bunch of men run around a field and touch each other aggressively? With other guys no less.

Yeah, I think I'll go to the barcraft.
You mean meeting with friends to watch something I'm interested in? Yeah, I've done that. I'll pass on this.

StevieP

Banned
The Drummond report is going to slash billions from this province, and McGuinty seems pretty open to the idea. The conservative media is hounding him too. Great...

where downtown is that building with the pool in the middle? awesome design

Is that a pool? I couldn't even tell.

Anyways that building is "Maple Leaf Square" and is right next to the Air Canada Centre.
It is two condo towers on top of a large podium that contains a grocery store and the Real Sports bar.

The Drummond report is going to slash billions from this province, and McGuinty seems pretty open to the idea. The conservative media is hounding him too. Great...

Gotta love the Conservative media:

Liberals slash billions - The most evil people in the history of the world.
Conservatives slash billions - True, visionary heroes.

mcrae

lol, true. the primary intention is to go for barcraft, not as a toronto meetup. though that should happen too

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Is that a pool? I couldn't even tell.

Anyways that building is "Maple Leaf Square" and is right next to the Air Canada Centre.
It is two condo towers on top of a large podium that contains a grocery store and the Real Sports bar.

55 or 65 Bremner Blvd if anyone wants to google it. Some pretty high class condos done by Lanterra. Very pricey FYI.

Spl1nter

Was thinking about telling you guys that Rob Ford was the best Mayor Toronto has ever had and came across this:

James: The TTC subway report Mayor Rob Ford doesn’t want you to read
February 15, 2012

Mayor Rob Ford has been sitting on a TTC report that shows job growth projections are so far off target in North York and Scarborough that it’s not advisable to build a subway linking the two centres.

Sources say Ford was given the analysis almost a year ago, after he demanded to know why the TTC wanted to build a light rail transit line along Sheppard, and not the subway it favoured 25 years ago.

The 11-page report, obtained by the Toronto Star, concludes it is ill-advised to build subways when job numbers, office development and transit ridership are so low.

“The world changed,” a source told the Star. “The mayor got the report,” but it has not gone public because “they don’t like the answer they got. The information is important because it explains why the TTC’s opinion is different today than in 1986.”

Two of the funnier points

But the mayor’s brother, Councillor Doug Ford, would have none of it when contacted by the Star.

“The TTC? Please, give me a break. They are just justifying union jobs. LRTs destroy neighbourhoods,” he said.

One transit planner, speaking anonymously for fear of retaliation from the mayor, said:

“The world has changed. It’s not the way people thought it would evolve back in 1986. Employment — the biggest generator of transit riders — has not materialized in a big way. There are more than 30 per cent fewer jobs than envisioned.”

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Was thinking about telling you guys that Rob Ford was the best Mayor Toronto has ever had and came across this:

Two of the funnier points
The worst part is that, if the Harris years didn't happen, that subway might have actually been built between then and now.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just watched the Fifth Estate episode on the G20 police situation. I wasn't in Toronto during the whole incident so I didn't know it was this bad. Has there been any sort of major investigation into police conduct from this whole affair? That one section about officers arresting people gathering inside a gym without a warrant. It seems silly to punish individual officers caught on camera when it is so clearly a widespread management issue.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2010-2011/youshouldhavestayedathome/

Takao

Banned
I saw a garbage truck break down and need to get towed today.

Since I didn't get a Vita, it is the highlight of the day.

Boogie

Just watched the Fifth Estate episode on the G20 police situation. I wasn't in Toronto during the whole incident so I didn't know it was this bad. Has there been any sort of major investigation into police conduct from this whole affair? That one section about officers arresting people gathering inside a gym without a warrant. It seems silly to punish individual officers caught on camera when it is so clearly a widespread management issue.

Oh. Silly me. I didn't know police needed a warrant to arrest someone.

Top Bottom