• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Blackhead

Redarse
So you guys can call Ford out for being overweight (personal attack), but I can't insult your precious "position" on Toronto politics?

image.php

Are you Ford?

Acheron

Banned
Remember when we had a mayor who actually liked downtown Toronto? Who rode his bike and went to FC games and gay pride parades? and tweeted? Seems like a distant dream now.

...and was elected on opposing a piece of infrastructure everyone liked, and ran up deficits in historically good years and has really no legitimate accomplishments to show for his term other than the world's shortest ferry route.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Slightly off topic for today.. but..

Testing out template for the new thread. Any problems for people viewing this, or with the alignment? 1200 pixel width, so shouldn't be an issue on most displays. Text will be buttons when the thread is up eventually.

iDgy2nPB7ddWj.gif

i9AQIoQ5etrUm.gif
iXYtEoh0o5bBS.gif
iboDFuV9LPsvS3.gif
ihMfb0t3TwtH4.gif
i7tPJcr0wvolf.gif

iZDezqzTtvIBx.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So you guys can call Ford out for being overweight (personal attack), but I can't insult your precious "position" on Toronto politics?

Who insulted him for being overweight? Did everyone here insult him for that? Did everyone who was arguing with you do that?

Willectro

Banned
Who insulted him for being overweight? Did everyone here insult him for that? Did everyone who was arguing with you do that?

My entire argument is irrelevant anyway because he is just going to appeal this decision and likely either win or ride out the rest of his term. Viva la Ford.

Azih

and ran up deficits in historically good years.
Where are you getting your information from? The City of Toronto CANNOT run a deficit by law. It *has* to implement a balanced budget and did under Miller. Hell Miller left a huge surplus which Ford wasted party by eliminating the vehicle registration fee.

As for the no legitimate accomplishment bit... remember how we had hundreds of garbage trucks a day moving our garbage to Michigan? Have you heard about that for years? No? that's cause Miller handled it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2010/12/30/toronto-garbage.html

Divvy

My entire argument is irrelevant anyway because he is just going to appeal this decision and likely either win or ride out the rest of his term. Viva la Ford.

Actually no, it's a lot more complicated than that since this happens so rarely that it's really just treading new ground for the entire system.

Torontoist has a good article on what the possible outcomes might be for the next few weeks:

iFYYlIA7XhYCD.png

http://torontoist.com/2012/11/rob-fords-out-of-office-what-happens-next/

We may end up in a situation with two standing mayors and one mayoral seat.

Acheron

Banned
Where are you getting your information from? The City of Toronto CANNOT run a deficit by law. It *has* to implement a balanced budget and did under Miller. Hell Miller left a huge surplus which Ford wasted party by eliminating the vehicle registration fee.

As for the no legitimate accomplishment bit... remember how we had hundreds of garbage trucks moving our garbage to Michigan? Have you heard about that for years? No? that's cause Miller handled it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2010/12/30/toronto-garbage.html

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/seri...task-for-new-mayor-get-spending-under-control

Yes there's one time subsidies from the province and constant tax increases but the Miller era saw unrestrained growth in budget holes filled only by additional fees and reliance on Queen's Park.

Azih

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/seri...task-for-new-mayor-get-spending-under-control

Yes there's one time subsidies from the province and constant tax increases but the Miller era saw unrestrained growth in budget holes filled only by additional fees and reliance on Queen's Park.

Well those aren't deficits as there were always balanced budgets (and let's not forget the surpluses Miller posted). If you're speaking of fiscal responsibility on the other hand then that is a separate issue and we can have that discussion.

Divvy

Cllr Mammoliti tells reporters he has resigned from Mayor Ford's executive committee, doesn't want to be "handcuffed"

I love how this guy has absolutely no loyalty whatsover

Divvy

He's a Politician.

True, but Mammoliti's history is pretty funny. Him and Ford were sworn enemies before especially after Ford threw a racial slur at him. Then they became best friends 4ever. Soon they'll be bitter enemies again?

Willectro

Banned
True, but Mammoliti's history is pretty funny. Him and Ford were sworn enemies before especially after Ford threw a racial slur at him. Then they became best friends 4ever. Soon they'll be bitter enemies again?

As odd as it is, can't say I blame the guy. It's all about playing the game. I'm just surprised he would cut his ties so soon when the future is very much up in the air at this point.

Dyno

Let's start at the beginning.

It's not going to happen anyway.

Boom. Right there you're wrong. You. were. wrong. Let's all breath in the strong stench of wrong eminating from your post.

There's no winning or losing. It's politics therefore often based on opinion. Toronto-GAF is largely left-wing, bleeding heart, white knights, so of course the consensus here is going to be against Ford. And who said I was getting the last word?

There's no winning or losing? How about right and wrong? Also, buttsore. I can tell. You're buttsore from reality itself paddling your backside and you are taking it out on the rest of us, all the while not admitting that you were wrong.

And this statement has merit because? You were wrong then, you're probably wrong here too.

Look at all the wrongs you give!

Testing out template for the new thread. Any problems for people viewing this, or with the alignment? 1200 pixel width, so shouldn't be an issue on most displays. Text will be buttons when the thread is up eventually.

iDgy2nPB7ddWj.gif

i9AQIoQ5etrUm.gif
iXYtEoh0o5bBS.gif
iboDFuV9LPsvS3.gif
ihMfb0t3TwtH4.gif
i7tPJcr0wvolf.gif

iZDezqzTtvIBx.jpg

Looks great. Visually, I think the shortest part on the far right looks weird, but nice concept. EDIT: Quote broke it lol.

I love how Ford Nation portrays him as some sort of working class hero who's always "looking out for the little guy". Really he's just an entitled fuckwit who dabbles in the petty.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

You should make the thread title |OT3| Toronto-Age thread of 100th Grey Cup Champions of Ballroom Dancing

iDgy2nPB7ddWj.gif

i9AQIoQ5etrUm.gif
iXYtEoh0o5bBS.gif
iboDFuV9LPsvS3.gif
ihMfb0t3TwtH4.gif
i7tPJcr0wvolf.gif

iZDezqzTtvIBx.jpg
Stretching my screen (13"MBP at 1280x800)

Dyno

See the image that Divvy posted above. Although it is a picture, I'm not sure if it will be simple enough for you to understand. BOOM.

Maybe Willectro is Sue-Ann Levy?

If you look at that chart and only see Ford getting his job back then it says something of the blinders you have on and probably view this issue with.

Willectro said:
As odd as it is, can't say I blame the guy. It's all about playing the game. I'm just surprised he would cut his ties so soon when the future is very much up in the air at this point.

Playing the game? What about conviction and credibility? What about not looking a rat fleeing a sinking ship?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You gotta account for the avatar column, i guess.

Also, check how it looks on mobilegaf. (iphone 320 width specifically)

I'll play around with mobile later, but it's not a priority for me. I recall this OT being readable on my Droid, so maybe this will scale down decently. Odds are the sections are going to break down though, being separate images.

I'll be posting the new OT in Off-Topic in the next hour, or so. Hopefully we're there a couple of weeks to pick up new members, before being moved back to Community.

Willectro

Banned
Maybe Willectro is Sue-Ann Levy?

If you look at that chart and only see Ford getting his job back then it says something of the blinders you have on and probably view this issue with.

Playing the game? What about conviction and credibility? What about not looking a rat fleeing a sinking ship?

Is Ford out of office yet?

I'll play around with mobile later, but it's not a priority for me. I recall this OT being readable on my Droid, so maybe this will scale down decently. Odds are the sections are going to break down though, being separate images.

I'll be posting the new OT in Off-Topic in the next hour, or so. Hopefully we're there a couple of weeks to pick up new members, before being moved back to Community.
If it works on a droid, then it should be fine.

Quadratic

Work was happy that Ford was kicked out today. I do thank Ford for giving this thread some pretty epic gifs and discussion. Feels like it won't be the same with a different mayor in office around here. Back to transit talk and food reviews. Anyone else find it weird that we're the only city thread with constant activity?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Work was happy that Ford was kicked out today. I do thank Ford for giving this thread some pretty epic gifs and discussion. Feels like it won't be the same with a different mayor in office around here. Back to transit talk and food reviews. Anyone else find it weird that we're the only city thread with constant activity?

Move it on over to OT3, Quad. ;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=44773715

A few other cities have active OTs, but we're by far the busiest. And we're one of the few stuck in Community.

Dyno

Is Ford out of office yet?

I just heard a rumour that Mamolitti has left the executive committee because he's going to take a run at the mayor's job in an upcoming by-election.

So perhaps the councillor thinks Ford is gone for good. Will have to see if this holds true.

Mammoliti running for mayor would be hilarious as long as he doesn't get elected.....we have to be careful with joke candidates after Ford actually won

It's new phone time. I'm looking at Mobilicity & Wind, who both have pretty good deals on right now (Wind unlimited everything for $40, Mob unliimted 22.50 for 6 mos. then up to $45 after that). Mobilicity might have the edge because they're cheaper in the short term and they have the phone I want (Xperia T).

But I've been with Virgin for a couple of years now and I know little about either company's service. I live smack in the middle of the downtown core, but I'm out in Oakville for work 2 days a week. Any recommendations?

Top Bottom