• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Azih

Honestly, I'd be surprised if Ford runs again. Doesn't really seem like he enjoys the job much.

But this probably makes FORD NATION frothing mad. The dude still had 35% support even after all the crazy stupid stuff he did.

I'd have been happier if the ban on running again for 7 years was enforced rather than this.

Oppo

laughing hysterically

I mean there's even another thing that could kick him out after this, even if he appeals

the big boy is toast. good riddance, he was worse than Lastman.

Olivia Chow better get her shit together, like, right damn now

Holy shit. I believe in miracles.

A lot of gaffers said this wouldn't happen. I wasn't sure it was possible either. So happy right now!

Willectro

Banned
As soon as we get a new mayor you guys will be bitching non-stop about them. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. The guy was harmless and infinitely better than Miller. Welcome to Canadian politics where we are more concerned about voting people out than voting the right parties in.

Rinoa

tumblr_ls7egbuOKa1qg7k5c.gif

this is everyone at my office when the news hit

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
As soon as we get a new mayor you guys will be bitching non-stop about them. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. The guy was harmless and infinitely better than Miller. Welcome to Canadian politics where we are more concerned about voting people out than voting the right parties in.

How in any way was this guy harmless? He set us back in so many goddamn ways.

Willectro

Banned
Harmless? Dude nearly destroyed Transit City! Ferris Wheels and Monorails! Using city resources for personal hobbies and for the benefit of his private company! DUUUDE!

How could he even fix the transit though? Seriously... by time Ford got in office the transit in Toronto was beyond fucked. And if you think any Mayor hasn't used their position for personal gain, then you are naive.

How in any way was this guy harmless? He set us back in so many goddamn ways.

Like?

I can honestly say that Ford did next to nothing that negatively effected the average person on a daily basis, unlike Miller who tried to battle the unions and got his shit pushed in.

Divvy

How could he even fix the transit though? Seriously... by time Ford got in office the transit in Toronto was beyond fucked. And if you think any Mayor hasn't used their position for personal gain, then you are naive.

Like?

I can honestly say that Ford did next to nothing that negatively effected the average person on a daily basis, unlike Miller who tried to battle the unions and got his shit pushed in.

Off the top of my head,
Killed transit city, took us two years to get that back. And it's set us back quite a few more years on top of that.
Tried to close libraries
Tried to build a giant shitty mall and ferris wheel on the portlands even though a solid plan had already been in development
Wasted my tax money spending more to remove bike lanes on jarvis than it took to put them there
Used the recent budget fiasco to push for cuts on vital city services
Being just a shitty person in general

And above all else, he brought shitty tea party politics to Toronto.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Like?

Delayed the Eglinton LRT by half a decade at least, axed three other LRT lines to fight for his costly Scarborough subway extension that he was certain would find private funding. Also pushed to have TTC declared an essential, which is only going to drive up cost at the bi-yearly negotiations.

Tried to use his scare tactics with budget cuts and then when people complained he hosted multiple circus like public meetings at city hall. He had people coming in to speak at 3am because he wanted to run it all night instead of being reasonable and reconvening in the morning. Of course, the Mayor couldn't be bothered to sit through all of those. That and his posy of thugs frequently went out of their way to attack people, rather than trying to reason with them. Mammoliti was like a trained guard dog during the meetings.

And he gave the city a shit image with his previous history before he was Mayor, the way he pined for an NFL team for his first six months in office as if it was the most important thing in the world, his weight loss challenge blunder, not attending city events, yelling at reporters, blowing by streetcar doors, ripping up bicycle lanes, crying like a baby when council didn't go with his transit plan.. even when transit experts agreed with them and not Ford.

Just because 'all politicians' are evil doesn't mean we should tolerate Ford. His issues extend far beyond what the norm is, and as you said, the norm is bad enough.

Willectro

Banned
Off the top of my head,
Killed transit city, took us two years to get that back. And it's set us back quite a few more years on top of that.
Tried to close libraries
Tried to build a giant shitty mall and ferris wheel on the portlands even though a solid plan had already been in development
Wasted my tax money spending more to remove bike lanes on jarvis than it took to put them there
Used the recent budget fiasco to push for cuts on vital city services
Being just a shitty person in general

And above all else, he brought shitty tea party politics to Toronto.

You are tripping if you think a Mayor alone is going to change transit in this city. Everything else you list was contested by parties supporting both sides of the argument (save money vs. save services). And there is no winning with the bike lane debate. Toronto was designed poorly to begin with, hard to change that now.

Oppo

You are tripping if you think a Mayor alone is going to change transit in this city. Everything else you list was contested by parties supporting both sides of the argument (save money vs. save services). And there is no winning with the bike lane debate. Toronto was designed poorly to begin with, hard to change that now.

Hard to agree with that when I watched him take out the fucking bike lanes that were already there.

Transit City was on track (paid for!), he derailed it.

Anyways I strongly disagree with your overall "we're too far gone to fix anything" sort of view.

Divvy

Are you kidding me? We had a plan and he killed it. It would have been great if what you said was true and he didn't get a chance to change anything because otherwise we wouldn't be set back by like five years.

Yes it was contested, but why wouldn't we be happy that we ousted an ass that championed the other side? Especially when he didn't actually save us any money?

Willectro

Banned
Delayed the Eglinton LRT by half a decade at least, axed three other LRT lines to fight for his costly Scarborough subway extension that he was certain would find private funding. Also pushed to have TTC declared an essential, which is only going to drive up cost at the bi-yearly negotiations.

Tried to use his scare tactics with budget cuts and then when people complained he hosted multiple circus like public meetings at city hall. He had people coming in to speak at 3am because he wanted to run it all night instead of being reasonable and reconvening in the morning. Of course, the Mayor couldn't be bothered to sit through all of those. That and his posy of thugs frequently went out of their way to attack people, rather than trying to reason with them. Mammoliti was like a trained guard dog during the meetings.

And he gave the city a shit image with his previous history before he was Mayor, the way he pined for an NFL team for his first six months in office as if it was the most important thing in the world, his weight loss challenge blunder, not attending city events, yelling at reporters, blowing by streetcar doors, ripping up bicycle lanes, crying like a baby when council didn't go with his transit plan.. even when transit experts agreed with them and not Ford.

Just because 'all politicians' are evil doesn't mean we should tolerate Ford. His issues extend far beyond what the norm is, and as you said, the norm is bad enough.

The LRT is a dumb idea. And in regards of shit image, did you forget this:
Ip8TF.jpg

And the fact that you mentioned his struggle with weight loss really makes me wonder about your opinion in general. No one wakes up in the morning and wants to be that size and yet that's the best argument people can muster up about Ford. Disgusting.

thabiz

Politics aside, the guy was still an arrogant blowhard. He was severely unlikable and made no effort to act like the mayor of the largest city in Canada.

Azih

How could he even fix the transit though?
Ford had the amazing fortune that all he needed to do to start fixing transit at the start of his term would be to do NOTHING. Transit City was all ready to roll. He threw the whole plan into chaos for no good reason.
And if you think any Mayor hasn't used their position for personal gain
That's such a vague accusation that it's meaningless. Hell every Mayor gets a salary so are using their position for 'personal gain'. You aren't however allowed to break rules and laws while you're Mayor and then be PROUD of it.

And I find it crazy that you're ignoring all of the outright mistakes he's made and have the audacity to claim that the only valid argument against him is weight.

Divvy

The LRT is a dumb idea. And in regards of shit image, did you forget this:
Ip8TF.jpg

And the fact that you mentioned his struggle with weight loss really makes me wonder about your opinion in general. No one wakes up in the morning and wants to be that size and yet that's the best argument people can muster up about Ford. Disgusting.

The LRT is a good idea, because above all else, it is the only plan achievable by the city right now.

The changes made to the garbage collectors was the only non-negative thing about his office so far, far outweighted by EVERYTHING ELSE that you seem to choose to ignore.

Dude... either set up a GAF account for your dad or stop talking about him. What do you think of Ford?
How old are you?

Beez's dad definitely needs a gaf account

Flash

WOW this is crazy! I expected a slap on the wrist... but this is much much better.

Democracy works, folks. He was a horrible mayor and generally seemed like a horrible person. I'm glad all his stupidity got him kicked out of the office (too bar it wasn't sooner though).

Let's just pray he doesn't run again because we all know he's going to run with the "the liberal hippies couldn't deal with how I was cleaning up the gravy so they kicked me out!" which will rile up his base and probably get him re-elected. But he genuinely seemed to not like being a mayor so we'll see...

Top Bottom