• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Pacbois

I just took a look and my calendar on their site looks like yours. March 20/21 is also grayed out for me. It's like that for any origin/destination pair I have tried so far. Will it be a big problem to try again in a week?

I can wait, it's just that it seems weird to me. I just hope they'll show up sort of soon-ish to plan the trip accordingly. Also because it's like my best bet since you can't buy VIA Rail tickets from outside Canada & the US (lol)

yyzjohn

Banned
How is #teamCold holding up? I know you guys have had a miserable season, and it only gets worse from here. We're on the road to hot and humid spring/summer/fall. Seriously guys, why did you even bother this year?

zroid

Banned
CaNtkLbWYAEaTB7.jpg

CaNtlVnWQAQaWqL.jpg

welp

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Those people look way too comfortable and having a good time. You don't want to fuck with a racoon, especially one that's probably sick enough to be on a subway train in the morning.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
How is #teamCold holding up? I know you guys have had a miserable season, and it only gets worse from here. We're on the road to hot and humid spring/summer/fall. Seriously guys, why did you even bother this year?
Awwwwww yisssssss
Those people look way too comfortable and having a good time. You don't want to fuck with a racoon, especially one that's probably sick enough to be on a subway train in the morning.
In all seriousness, if that thing bit someone....
HEY

Racoon's are awesome.
Ah, we have a tribute willing to volunteer for said biting.

Kraftwerk

I honestly dont hate nice warm/hot weather....

but cannot comprehend how someone willingly would like humid weather.

Like, its 30+ and HUMID as fuck. You cant even just sit down at the park for a beer without sweating. Its just uncomfortable.

p.s most of February is going to be -10

Layell

Internet assistance TO-Gaf? Moving into a new place with gf that is owned by a family friend. Deal is I have to get and pay for internet as the two of us will be using it. More Jane/Weston area so York area, any advice or who I should avoid?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly dont hate nice warm/hot weather....

but cannot comprehend how someone willingly would like humid weather.

Like, its 30+ and HUMID as fuck. You cant even just sit down at the park for a beer without sweating. Its just uncomfortable.

p.s most of February is going to be -10
Tropical weather that people go to specifically to sit in that weather and drink a beer for.

Sigh...

Well...old man Kuro going back to class. Taking a business analysis course at UofT so I can be more of a Junior Mint (even though I'm already a business analyst according to my job title) I should be used to this since I did take classes after I graduated, but I still feel like crap. I never liked schoolin'

dluu13

Tropical weather that people go to specifically to sit in that weather and drink a beer for.

Sigh...

Well...old man Kuro going back to class. Taking a business analysis course at UofT so I can be more of a Junior Mint (even though I'm already a business analyst according to my job title) I should be used to this since I did take classes after I graduated, but I still feel like crap. I never liked schoolin'

When are you starting?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
When are you starting?
Tomorrow night is the first class.

I know it's good for people to continue learning, and I have gotten pretty stagnant and unchallenged at work (though convincing the goddamn devs to do their goddamn work is frustrating), but I still hate school cause of the pressure I put on myself (probably due to the Generic Asian side).

Quick

Banned
Congrats, Kraft.

And Kuro, I know the feel. I went back to school a couple of years ago and classes were in the evening. It was tough in terms of having to work during the day and be at school at night, both being a good distance away from each other.

That being said, I genuinely liked my classes for the most part.

dluu13

I know it's good for people to continue learning, and I have get pretty stagnant and unchallenged at work (though convincing the goddamn devs to do their goddamn work is frustrating), but I still hate school cause of the pressure I put on myself (probably due to the Generic Asian side).

Haha I know what you mean about not liking classes. I find that the classes helped me develop a sense of intuition for certain subjects, but the majority of the skills I have were developed during internships. I finished my coursework requirements for my degree last year so this year I can focus on my thesis work.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I know it's good for people to continue learning, and I have get pretty stagnant and unchallenged at work (though convincing the goddamn devs to do their goddamn work is frustrating), but I still hate school cause of the pressure I put on myself (probably due to the Generic Asian side).

I went back to school at U of T for project management. It was tiring. And weird to me since the lectures were all on power point and I didn't really have to take notes.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I went back to school at U of T for project management. It was tiring. And weird to me since the lectures were all on power point and I didn't really have to take notes.
I still have no idea how you're having trouble finding a job with that. Have you had someone review the old resume and used another agency? :/

Internet assistance TO-Gaf? Moving into a new place with gf that is owned by a family friend. Deal is I have to get and pay for internet as the two of us will be using it. More Jane/Weston area so York area, any advice or who I should avoid?
rogers ignite or teksavvy seem like the best bets imo.

Kuro going to school makes me want to watch that episode of Simpsons where Homer goes back to college.

Are you doing an entire program or just a course? I took a BA essentials course at Global Knowledge years ago cause my company paid for it and found the course itself completely useless. Personally, I recommend just reading Seven Steps to Mastering Business Analysis by Barbara Carkenord and Software Requirements by Karl Wiegers. I think it's a difficult subject to learn though... you really have to go through a few projects before everything starts to connect. Even worse if your company doesn't have the structure (a proper SDLC) in place.

Don't really do as much BA work anymore since I moved into M&A but it was always fun to see something you designed come to life. Though on the opposite side of that, it hurts when your users complain that a new tool or system you implemented sucks ass, lol.

I still have no idea how you're having trouble finding a job with that. Have you had someone review the old resume and used another agency? :/

I think project management is a hard field to get into right up until you get your PMP. Try looking for project analyst or project coordinator roles first...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kuro going to school makes me want to watch that episode of Simpsons where Homer goes back to college.

Are you doing an entire program or just a course? I took a BA essentials course at Global Knowledge years ago cause my company paid for it and found the course itself completely useless. Personally, I recommend just reading Seven Steps to Mastering Business Analysis by Barbara Carkenord and Software Requirements by Karl Wiegers. I think it's a difficult subject to learn though... you really have to go through a few projects before everything starts to connect. Even worse if your company doesn't have the structure (a proper SDLC) in place.

Don't really do as much BA work anymore since I moved into M&A but it was always fun to see something you designed come to life. Though on the opposite side of that, it hurts when your users complain that a new tool or system you implemented sucks ass, lol.

I think project management is a hard field to get into right up until you get your PMP. Try looking for project analyst or project coordinator roles first...
It's just a certificate course for now. I'll see after the first class how I feel; I may just take something else.

I'll look that book up now in the meantime.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Yep. I don't have my PMP or even the CAPM, which is the step below. I don't have enough hours to do either certification. The problem is that my last role was so diverse (each one of my major responsibilities was a full time job in of itself) that it's hard to translate the skills. I look at training and I don't have HR or adult education diplomas. I look at process improvement and I don't have six sigma. It's the same for project management.

I have been looking at coordinator roles and I'm also working with a recruiter now.

Brinbe

More Chappelle shows added, tix on sale @ 10 AM tmrw... Missed out the first time, not gonna make that mistake again...

http://www.blogto.com/arts/2016/02/dave_chappelle_adds_more_shows_in_toronto/
If you didn't get tickets to one of Dave Chappelle's sold-out Toronto shows, don't despair because the comedian added four additional performances to his five night run - from February 9 to 13 - at the Danforth Music Hall.

Now, Chappelle will take to the stage twice on February 9, 10, 12 and 13 - at both 7 and 10 p.m. Tickets for these late-night shows go on sale tomorrow (Thursday) at 10 a.m.

If you didn't get lucky last time, you better act quickly if you're looking to snag at spot at one of the newly announced shows. And remember, these tickets are non-transferable, so do your research before buying a pair on an unauthorized site, such as Kijiji.

Yep. I don't have my PMP or even the CAPM, which is the step below. I don't have enough hours to do either certification. The problem is that my last role was so diverse (each one of my major responsibilities was a full time job in of itself) that it's hard to translate the skills. I look at training and I don't have HR or adult education diplomas. I look at process improvement and I don't have six sigma. It's the same for project management.

I have been looking at coordinator roles and I'm also working with a recruiter now.

Damn. I think CAPM only requires 20 hours of formal PM education, does it not?

soultron

Banned
So I heard that Roosh V PUA guy is staging (not sure if he'll be present) a meeting in Queen's Park this Saturday about "consensual rape?" What an idiot.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Hopefully this helps!

1) If you took classes, unless you dropped out you will have the education requirement to write your CAPM exam. I did an online course through Fanshawe for Project Management, I could've written my CAPM after the first class (1 semester). I didn't do it until I had completely finished the course (about 2 years).

2) What type of companies are you looking to do Project Management at? When I was applying for roles Toronto, I was getting into digital agencies. From what I was told by some people who work for those is that it's hard to get into project management with them, and that they typically don't like the PMP types.

3) Having your PMP can definitely get your foot in the door, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're a good project manager. What I found while I was taking my courses and reading through the PMBOK is that it can make everything rigid. While sometimes that's good... it's sometimes not best for the company. But it's good to know the basics of how a project should run! Your best bet will be to look for a Project Coordinator role.

4) Are you on LinkedIn? Do you network with anyone on there? Have you put out feelers to former colleagues about opportunities? THIS IS THE ABSOLUTELY MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!!! How did I get my new/current job? I was at a Mastodon/Clutch concert, one of my former co-workers was there. Someone he used to work with was there. That person is now my boss.

5) Any interest in doing Business Analysis? The role I ended up with is a dual BA/PM role. That could help you grow in either direction.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I drove home with my window down and my sleeves rolled up. It was nice.
Whose side are you on?!?!

Sigh...

Leave at 5 to take bus. Crowded
Get on subway. Crowded.
Go one stop. Out of service get the fuck out.
Wait for next train and get on. Crowded.
Every station. Pause or stop.
Get to St. George. Crowded as fuck.
Walk out and check map...WHERE THE FUCK IS UNIVERSITY COLLEGE?! WTF?! WHO FUCKING TAKES ANYTHING THERE? Get lost.
Consult phone. Find building. HOW THE FUCK DO I GET IN HERE?!
Find door. WHERE THE FUCK IS 152?!?! Wander aimlessly.
Walk in. Sit down. Want to shoot self...

I don't remember shit being like this when I went to this university years ago...

Edit: heh, Junior Mint. Someone from your company is here. Can see from the tag on her laptop.

Quick

Banned
Got a question on life insurance, as weird as it is to post here. I figured some of you have good knowledge on this, and it would be relevant to me since we're all in the same area.

How strict are companies on medical exams? Would I immediately be declined if they spot anything remotely bad?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Whose side are you on?!?!
I have always and forever will be on the side that wants to repeatedly punch you in the face until my hands hurt too much to go on. At that point I'll switch to kicking you.

Got a question on life insurance, as weird as it is to post here. I figured some of you have good knowledge on this, and it would be relevant to me since we're all in the same area.

How strict are companies on medical exams? Would I immediately be declined if they spot anything remotely bad?
They'd probably just make you pay a higher premium. To get declined at your age you'd have to be diagnosed with something very serious.

Top Bottom