• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

mlclmtckr

Banned
Hey all,

Is anyone familiar with the DIY punk venue Soybomb at King and Bathurst?

It got shut down recently after several anonymous calls to the liquor board and fire marshals. Apparently the place was fire-safe but they were selling beers on the down low and that got them closed.

Anyway the guy who ran the venue found some threads on 8chan where people were discussing how to destroy 'leftist spaces' and sharing dox. There is apparently a concerted alt-right effort to shut down punk/metal DIY scenes across North America. The 8chan thread mentioned Soybomb specifically as well as a bunch of other places.

Anyone who liked the venue's page or went to one of its events has also been added by several fake Facebook profiles, presumably for information gathering.

It was a great venue. I won't get into the ethics of selling unlicensed beers but personally it has never bothered me. They had good relationships with their neighbours and put on great shows with local and international bands. The stage was a giant half pipe and there was a kickass roof deck.

It makes me really sad that there are dudes on the internet looking at the Facebook pages of venues and thinking 'those people are having fun and expressing themselves and being inclusive, let's ruin it.'

Anyway if you are involved in a similar scene or run a similar venue, it seems like now is the time to make sure everything is above-board, because there are people out there trying to wreck your shit.

soultron

Banned
Hey all,

Is anyone familiar with the DIY punk venue Soybomb at King and Bathurst?

It got shut down recently after several anonymous calls to the liquor board and fire marshals. Apparently the place was fire-safe but they were selling beers on the down low and that got them closed.

Anyway the guy who ran the venue found some threads on 8chan where people were discussing how to destroy 'leftist spaces' and sharing dox. There is apparently a concerted alt-right effort to shut down punk/metal DIY scenes across North America. The 8chan thread mentioned Soybomb specifically as well as a bunch of other places.

Anyone who liked the venue's page or went to one of its events has also been added by several fake Facebook profiles, presumably for information gathering.

It was a great venue. I won't get into the ethics of selling unlicensed beers but personally it has never bothered me. They had good relationships with their neighbours and put on great shows with local and international bands. The stage was a giant half pipe and there was a kickass roof deck.

It makes me really sad that there are dudes on the internet looking at the Facebook pages of venues and thinking 'those people are having fun and expressing themselves and being inclusive, let's ruin it.'

Anyway if you are involved in a similar scene or run a similar venue, it seems like now is the time to make sure everything is above-board, because there are people out there trying to wreck your shit.

Are they suspended from operating until they get a license? What's the next move for Soybomb?

thabiz

Some quick beer news for you:

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge is returning to the LCBO. Already in stock at my store.
Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René is also returning this spring. Yay, sour beer!
Also in stock: Old Rasputin and Stone Xocoveza. Incredibly popular American beers, and at a surprisingly competitive price (it's actually cheaper to buy Old Rasputin here than in the US!).
Goose Island Gillian is being released for the first time in Canada, next week, but only at Summerhill. (It's a wristband event. If it's like the BCBS event, though, it'll probably be easy to get a bottle.)
Founders KBS is also on its way. This is the one I'm most excited about, honestly. We rarely get anything from Founders, and their stuff is amazing. Founders Breakfast Stout is one of my favorite stouts, so the KBS is going to be a treat.

I tried a bottle of the Stone Xocoveza last night. It's a trip (it's a mocha stout with pasilla chile peppers, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg). If anybody here loves stouts, don't sleep on this.

Already hit Summerhill for Rasputin and Jacobins.

Looking forward to KBS. Although I sometimes have a hard time justifying the prices the LCBO charges on American beer. Rasputin was a steal!!! I'd much rather give the 8-10 dollars to locals like Blood Brothers, Burdock, Rainhard, etc.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Are they suspended from operating until they get a license? What's the next move for Soybomb?

They're looking into it. I think that there is some work to be done regarding zoning and stuff.

Hopefully they will find a way to go on. If they just became a BYOB place it wouldn't change much. But when they have chan trolls combing through their (and all their patrons') social media looking for ways to ruin them, who knows how long they can stay around.

Dear Toronto

I am an American that would like to go stay with my friend in Toronto. I only have a US passport. What are the stipulations to my entry and stay?

As far as I have read, I only need my passport and I'm allowed to stay 180 days.

I would like to look for a job and possibly a visa if at all possible. Both of us would but she is there for a job but her stay may not be for that long.

Anyways, the more important and first question is on the stay and requirements. I will be coming from China, not that this should matter I assume. I may also go see my grandmother for a few months in US and then go back to Canada, would there be any issues on re entry and stay in this manner?

dluu13

Dear Toronto

I am an American that would like to go stay with my friend in Toronto. I only have a US passport. What are the stipulations to my entry and stay?

As far as I have read, I only need my passport and I'm allowed to stay 180 days.

I would like to look for a job and possibly a visa if at all possible. Both of us would but she is there for a job but her stay may not be for that long.

Anyways, the more important and first question is on the stay and requirements. I will be coming from China, not that this should matter I assume. I may also go see my grandmother for a few months in US and then go back to Canada, would there be any issues on re entry and stay in this manner?

Travel between Canada and US has always been free. I don't know about work visa requirements though. The only issue is that if you are trying to re-enter Canada with a passport that is close to expiry.

Travel between Canada and US has always been free. I don't know about work visa requirements though. The only issue is that if you are trying to re-enter Canada with a passport that is close to expiry.

Is it like HK where they just give you a sticker when you need to leave, or is there some sort of other filing? I don't have a ton of country travel experience.

Yeah, my passport is still new so that should be ok. I was wondering if there was some sort of rule so a person wasn't basically living there, as in entering and exiting every few months for years. Not that I would be doing this, but you would technically be living there in that regard.

I have a 10 year visa for China right now, but the stay is only up to two months which isn't very good when you are staying.

garth2000

There is no harm in coming here to look for work, but you wont be allowed to actually work here unless you have a work visa. Youll have to go back home to arrange all that. If you are planning on staying 180 days, you may have to prove to customs how you are supporting yourself while you are here. If they feel that you cant support yourself or that you are going to work here, you will be denined entry and sent back home.

I would do a bit of research on the Canadian immigration website before planning your trip. It would be a shame to fly all the way here only to be denied entry

There is no harm in coming here to look for work, but you wont be allowed to actually work here unless you have a work visa. Youll have to go back home to arrange all that. If you are planning on staying 180 days, you may have to prove to customs how you are supporting yourself while you are here. If they feel that you cant support yourself or that you are going to work here, you will be denined entry and sent back home.

I would do a bit of research on the Canadian immigration website before planning your trip. It would be a shame to fly all the way here only to be denied entry

Sounds harder than I thought it would be. I wouldn't be planning to work there without a visa so hopefully that would believe me a bit. Thanks for the info

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm 99% sure they were kidding. :lol

still haven't decided what i'm gonna do....

My gf's birthday and our anniversary are both this week and those will be all-out affairs, so I think Valentine's is going to be pretty low-key for us...we'll probably just stay in and hang out.

Kraftwerk

Haven't posted in a while.

Got accepted into a carpentry apprenticeship with EllisDon. Nine week program that starts tomorrow and I get put into a job site right after. Excited.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Got accepted into a carpentry apprenticeship with EllisDon. Nine week program that starts tomorrow and I get put into a job site right after. Excited.
Trades are in high demand so good luck. Thought you were in a pretty decent situation before though?

Kraftwerk

Trades are in high demand so good luck. Thought you were in a pretty decent situation before though?

I was, but sales and sitting behind a desk isn't for me, unless it's graphic design or something creative and very hands-on.

In three years I'll get my Red Seal certificate and try to go into the movie industry working on set and prop design.

dluu13

Hey there's a building going up right next to me that's being built by them. Congrats on getting the apprenticeship.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't mind coming to work at a game studio no matter the position in Toronto this year, just throwing it out there :)
As soultron and fuzzy said, in what capacity? I remember there was a posting for Ubisoft that was general administrative duties that had nothing to do with gaems. However, before you do decide to work in gaems, review this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw
And what the hell, shout out to Alpha as well https://www.google.ca/amp/business....mo-koei-canada-closing-its-toronto-studio/amp

Edit: you don't need to necessarily work at a game studio if you want to be an office sex slave...

Mhee12Bee

I just want a job where I can afford the switch or any Xseed Anime game without breaking my wallet! IBM contract money is not enough!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Figure I'd ask here. I was just looking into those coding schools to see what they offer, and it seems like all the bootcamps are geared toward creating front-end web developers or mobile app developers.

Are program coders just not needed anymore? Or is it just a matter of not being able to teach someone useful/marketable C++/C# in two months?

dluu13

Figure I'd ask here. I was just looking into those coding schools to see what they offer, and it seems like all the bootcamps are geared toward creating front-end web developers or mobile app developers.

Are program coders just not needed anymore? Or is it just a matter of not being able to teach someone useful/marketable C++/C# in two months?

I was able to learn how to make a GUI (inputs, outputs, USB communication) in C# in a couple of months with some prior programming knowledge. It was nowhere near bootcamp style though. The end result would be useful for a research environment where you can do things in a dirty way but certainly nothing you could sell.

I think that trend you're seeing is because mobile and web development are hot right now.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Get your nails pretty during the week and then go out this weekend to find 'one of those' for valentine's day. Duh

If I did that it would have to be on a Friday or Saturday because chances are I'd chip them within a day.

As it is, I tend to change my nails daily.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was able to learn how to make a GUI (inputs, outputs, USB communication) in C# in a couple of months with some prior programming knowledge. It was nowhere near bootcamp style though. The end result would be useful for a research environment where you can do things in a dirty way but certainly nothing you could sell.

I think that trend you're seeing is because mobile and web development are hot right now.

I'm just worried about spending 10 grand learning web development for a market that's flooded with them since there are at least four of these bootcamps in Toronto that churn out 30+ students every two months.

I guess everything is web and web apps these days though...

soultron

Banned
I'm just worried about spending 10 grand learning web development for a market that's flooded with them since there are at least four of these bootcamps in Toronto that churn out 30+ students every two months.

FWIW, I've talked to a few people and it seems like there's no shortage of jobs. /shrug

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

You can also apply for remote jobs too

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well...I preordered the Switch from Bestbuy. Jesus fucking Christ. I literally refreshed at 2:59 and got one. My coworker right next to me checked one minute later for the color joycon version and it was gone. Then she refreshed on the gray one and that was also gone.

The thirst is real...452 CAD taxes in with no goddamn game and no backward compatibility. I'll order Zelda for it later, I guess once the soreness from the reaming resides a bit.

EvilMario...I'm gonna have to bring you my Wii U soon, please... :'(

Mhee12Bee

The thirst is real...452 CAD taxes in with no goddamn game and no backward compatibility. I'll order Zelda for it later, I guess once the soreness from the reaming resides a bit.

I wonder how much stock Shoppers will have for the Switch. Might have to use my Optimum points... Don't it's too damn early. I want my Octopath Machine... But I don't know if it's worth 95,000 optimum points aka -$170

Top Bottom