• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Well...I preordered the Switch from Bestbuy. Jesus fucking Christ. I literally refreshed at 2:59 and got one. My coworker right next to me checked one minute later for the color joycon version and it was gone. Then she refreshed on the gray one and that was also gone.

The thirst is real...452 CAD taxes in with no goddamn game and no backward compatibility. I'll order Zelda for it later, I guess once the soreness from the reaming resides a bit.

EvilMario...I'm gonna have to bring you my Wii U soon, please... :'(

This is why I'm waiting. Plus I don't think I should spend the money.

dluu13

Fuck this freezing rain, today. It wasn't even that cold, but my vehicle basically got glazed with a coating of ice.

IVEq2HY.gif

dluu13

Both are good though I've heard Python is a lot easier to start with from scratch. Java from what I've heard is harder but there is definitely demand for it.

I've never used Java before but my impression is that a Java program requires more setup before it can do anything useful.
Example: https://pythonconquerstheuniverse.wordpress.com/2009/10/03/python-java-a-side-by-side-comparison/

The advantage of learning a language where you have to do all the setup is that you get a better idea of what the computer is actually doing. If it's your first time though, working out the high-level logic is probably more useful to you than digging into the low-level details.

Damn I remember doing python years ago for comp sci 101. Is python actually used for real world development? I always thought it was just something to learn programming lol.

explodet

I'm old enough to have learned Turing in university.

Python's one of those languages that shows up randomly in projects here and there. One place I worked never used it for anything that required heavy lifting, but seemed to apply it here and there, like duct tape.

dluu13

Damn I remember doing python years ago for comp sci 101. Is python actually used for real world development? I always thought it was just something to learn programming lol.

I've seen it only in academic environments so far (vision and AI) but then again, I've spent most of my life in an academic environment.
Other than that I've heard a lot about web scripting with Python.

Well, if anybody was interested in Goose Island Gillian... nobody came to the event today, so we still have lots!

I haven't tried it yet, but apparently it has some Brett flavors, a nice tartness on the palate... it's a wild fermented farmhouse ale, so sour fans may want to take a look. If you have $35 to burn, that is...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if anybody was interested in Goose Island Gillian... nobody came to the event today, so we still have lots!

I haven't tried it yet, but apparently it has some Brett flavors, a nice tartness on the palate... it's a wild fermented farmhouse ale, so sour fans may want to take a look. If you have $35 to burn, that is...
Sure I'll have one if you can keep it around for a bit.
Wait...FUUUUUU...!
Well, I may not get it for awhile anyways... :'(

So it happened today. Got on a new streetcar going east along Queen and the Prestos work...! But the fare machines don't...TTC can't get anything right. The driver did come out to look at it, tap it helplessly, shrug, and then to back to driving. I think there are 4...ok as I typed this make that 7 people that tried to pay, but couldn't. Ok make that 8.

Renewed

Gonna put together a meetup thread, next week (17th-18th) or the week after? Cause I'm not sure about the 25th for my schedule so it could be a Friday if we want that week.

Tilt among other places that were recommended. Also starting with KFC cause $$$?

dluu13

Sure I'll have one if you can keep it around for a bit.
Wait...FUUUUUU...!
Well, I may not get it for awhile anyways... :'(

So it happened today. Got on a new streetcar going east along Queen and the Prestos work...! But the fare machines don't...TTC can't get anything right. The driver did come out to look at it, tap it helplessly, shrug, and then to back to driving. I think there are 4...ok as I typed this make that 7 people that tried to pay, but couldn't. Ok make that 8.

I guess that's standard for "new" rollouts. It took a while for Vancouver to sort it out too. But the difference there is that all the infrastructure was in place before they started letting small subsections of the population test it out (seniors, then students) before aggressively getting everybody onto the new system.

I'm hoping that Presto will be more forgiving to idiots like me who walk onto the wrong platform or accidentally exit the station when I actually mean to transfer. Stupid transfers are "not valid for re-entry into the subway".

dluu13

Gonna put together a meetup thread, next week (17th-18th) or the week after? Cause I'm not sure about the 25th for my schedule so it could be a Friday if we want that week.

Tilt among other places that were recommended. Also starting with KFC cause $$$?

I'd say give it two weeks for people to sort out their schedules.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I guess that's standard for "new" rollouts. It took a while for Vancouver to sort it out too. But the difference there is that all the infrastructure was in place before they started letting small subsections of the population test it out (seniors, then students) before aggressively getting everybody onto the new system.

I'm hoping that Presto will be more forgiving to idiots like me who walk onto the wrong platform or accidentally exit the station when I actually mean to transfer. Stupid transfers are "not valid for re-entry into the subway".
I really don't understand how you can screw up on such a basic transit system like the TTC. :p

dluu13

I really don't understand how you can screw up on such a basic transit system like the TTC. :p

I don't follow the news but my best speculation is that they didn't collaborate properly with other regional transit systems on this rollout. You had people coming into Toronto already with Presto cards from the GO lines and whatnot so TTC must've started scrambling to get it all together. But instead of waiting until all of the fare stations were properly installed they just let people start using it as the fare stations were installed resulting in this free-for-all.

Fuzzy

I don't follow the news but my best speculation is that they didn't collaborate properly with other regional transit systems on this rollout. You had people coming into Toronto already with Presto cards from the GO lines and whatnot so TTC must've started scrambling to get it all together. But instead of waiting until all of the fare stations were properly installed they just let people start using it as the fare stations were installed resulting in this free-for-all.
I meant you. :lol

dluu13

I meant you. :lol

Oh me XD

It happened once when I was totally new at the TTC but luckily the other fare collector believed me. And then once when I was totally zoned out and not paying attention. I just followed all the masses up the escalator and out the gate and then I was like oh shit.

I'm not saying it's not my fault, but the TTC should have a tolerance for this kind of thing. I'm hoping that tolerance will come with Presto cards.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh me XD

It happened once when I was totally new at the TTC but luckily the other fare collector believed me. And then once when I was totally zoned out and not paying attention. I just followed all the masses up the escalator and out the gate and then I was like oh shit.

I'm not saying it's not my fault, but the TTC should have a tolerance for this kind of thing. I'm hoping that tolerance will come with Presto cards.
In the idiot's defense, they really should've moved to a time based system a long ass time ago. If it's a problem with the shitty transfers, well, even Ottawa had a machine and printed you out transfers with the time on them. Edmonton was never an issue either. The TTC is just poorly set up.

dluu13

In the idiot's defense, they really should've moved to a time based system a long ass time ago. If it's a problem with the shitty transfers, well, even Ottawa had a machine and printed you out transfers with the time on them. Edmonton was never an issue either. The TTC is just poorly set up.

Yes, the time-based system is what I'm used to. I can't believe that something as trivial as picking up a bag of chips on your way to a friend's house can't be done without paying twice. Not that I've ever had to do that but that's such a common way to use a transit system that I can't believe they didn't factor that somehow.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, the time-based system is what I'm used to. I can't believe that something as trivial as picking up a bag of chips on your way to a friend's house can't be done without paying twice. Not that I've ever had to do that but that's such a common way to use a transit system that I can't believe they didn't factor that somehow.
So you're basically asking this,
TTC Reps, "Just watch me...!"

Fuzzy

Yeah a couple of times I wanted to stop at a store on my way home and I just went home and grabbed my car instead of getting off the bus and then paying a second time when I got back on.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah a couple of times I wanted to stop at a store on my way home and I just went home and grabbed my car instead of getting off the bus and then paying a second time when I got back on.
Lolwtf

Coming from the Edmonton system to this goddamn mess, I never understood why it had to be one way at an intersection. You "could" game the system though the TTC states you're supposed to pay again if you're wandering around to do shit before your transfer.

I mean, really...this doesn't have to be so difficult when there are so many other public transit systems that can get it right (Seoul, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc). I understand that they cover less ground, have more riders, and better funding, but even simple shit like transfers, a card payment system, an easy way to refill your card, and multiple lines of subway service along with lots of buses, etc etc etc.

The TTC can't get streetcars properly, can't implement Presto properly, can't get enough lines to deal with congestion property (this isn't entirely on them, I'll agree), and I'll say this and stand by it, but they can't get customer service done correctly either. Be it their online service, their drivers, or their station workers selling tokens. I don't expect them to sing and dance for me, but if you're that fucking miserable and bad at your job, just realize there are MUCH worse jobs out there that pay a lot less than what you're making.

The thing with TTC is it's not even a cost issue. It's just pure stupidity in process design. Like why do stations have automated machines that dispense monthly passes and everything EXCEPT the thing that would make most sense for it to dispense - SINGLE TOKENS. No, we'll have 20 person lineups at collectors instead.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The thing with TTC is it's not even a cost issue. It's just pure stupidity in process design. Like why do stations have automated machines that dispense monthly passes and everything EXCEPT the thing that would make most sense for it to dispense - SINGLE TOKENS. No, we'll have 20 person lineups at collectors instead.
WORLD CLASS 20 PERSON LINEUPS...!!!!

Fuzzy

Don't worry, soon tokens will be gone and it'll only be Presto and cash. That'll shorten the lines.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
For fuck's sake, Presto! I go to order another card for my wife. It literally says, "cannot find shopping cart"

I can go to any goddamn convenience store in HK or Seoul to buy a fucking card and have it loaded RIGHT THERE....FFS!!!

dluu13

For fuck's sake, Presto! I go to order another card for my wife. It literally says, "cannot find shopping cart"

I can go to any goddamn convenience store in HK or Seoul to buy a fucking card and have it loaded RIGHT THERE....FFS!!!

I remember trying to get a presto card the day (Dec 14) before I left for Vancouver to save a few dollars on the UP express. I tried 3 different Gateway News stands and they were all out of stock. That was a Wednesday and they said the soonest they'd have any in stock was Monday wtfffffff.

Top Bottom