• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Tuck

Not sure whom you're responding to.

We're not talking about taxes, we're talking about tolls, tolls are fees not taxes, if you're charging tolls for highways, the tolls go back towards the highways, not to transit, an example would be the 407, they can spend property tax however they like at their peril, if we don't like it we'll vote him out.

No the Yonge line is not at full capacity.

I am responding to you.

The Yonge line is not at full capacity, and I did not say it was. It is close to full capacity. Very close, and all you need to do is ride it downtown during rush hour to see that. Its packed south of Eglinton. It will be at full capacity, likely within a decade. The downtown relief line will take as much as 15 years to build. Thats why we need to proceed with it now, not fifteen years from now.

Tory proposed the tolls because he really, really wants to not increase property taxes, even though he should, and he's getting desperate for a way to pay for transit. Frankly, I say toll the Gardiner to pay for rehabbing the Gardiner.

Road tolls are an unavoidable future. As gas is phased out, the province will need to make up that money somewhere, and tolls are the way it will happen. Already new GTA highways are being tolled. Its not going to be a pretty fight, but the rest will be one day as well. Hopefully, when that day comes, the rates aren't as obnoxiously high as on the 407 though.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
God, I'm exhausted. Definitely got full value for my 3.5 hours though!

Managed to play Snipperclips, Sonic Mania, Bomberman R, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (battle mode), ARMS, Splatoon 2, 1 2 Switch, Puyo Puyo Tetris, FAST RMX, and a bit of Zelda

I didn't know you had to get a ticket for Zelda so I had to sneak it at the very end and only got to play for about 5 minutes. I basically just got through the intro and climbed up the cliff behind me and kamikaze'd some Bokoblins. :lol

my friend and I went to St Lawrence market after for lunch which was fun. First time I've ever been there amazingly even though I've lived here my whole life.

How was Spaltoon?

zroid

Banned
How was Spaltoon?

Felt really good with the Pro Controller although it was kind of crazy with all the noise. I lost both games but I had the highest score on my team both times so eh. :p

I like the dual guns weapon and it's cool how they did the map and super jump without the second screen. You press X to bring up the map and "aim" at the ally you want to jump to by tilting. It's really fast and intuitive.

Renewed

If anything, Charger feels so mobile now with a stored charge that I can just roll up on fools. Heck my brother swam up to an enemy and popped the Stingray special for a point blank kill lol

We went around, visited CN Tower and saw the line at Tetsu's then bailed lol

dluu13

Vancouver is run by idiots, seriously. The TTC was amazing compared to what they have there.

First part I have no comment on, but it's the first time I've heard the second part. Unless you haven't gone there in a long time or live way outside actual Vancouver, I don't know how you think the TTC is amazing compared to Translink. Ever since I got to Toronto, I've started to think all the complaints against Translink are baseless when compared to TTC.

dluu13

lol when I was heading home on the subway I saw someone with a Tetsu bag. still no line ups at Main St. Unionville! (usually)

On occasion, I'll see no line at Uncle Tetsu's on evenings and weekends but I know the surest way to get one with no line up is to go on a weekday afternoon when everybody's working.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, but you don't seem to know what you're talking about.

First, Rob Ford helped set the city back a decade as far as transit is concerned. You mention he "stuck to plans." No, he did not. On his first day he cancelled the existing transit city plan, which led to political infighting for years and lines which should have been open by now, like Finch, are still awaiting a start date. He also led the flip flop on the Scarborough subways and tried to flip flop on Eglinton too.

Second, you deride your taxes going to transit because you don't use it. Sorry, but that's not how taxes work. Once the money is in the government's hands, it's not your money. We regularly pay taxes on things we won't ever use, that's how how society works.

Third, the downtown releif line is the single most important peice of infrastructure on the books right now, aside from maybe the Gardiner, but only since it is literally falling apart. The Yonge subway is very close to capacity. That is the definition of "not enough transit" and you are factually incorrect to say or imply otherwise.

Also, as easy as it is to blame Toronto for the streetcar mess, they have had success with bombardier before. The new subway trains are great.

Finally widening roads does not reduce congestion. Google "induced demand." This is the reason why want to spend more on transit. Automobiles will never efficiently transport all the people in our society, especially not during rush hour.

You may not have voted him in to build transit, but the voters sure did. Smart track, as flawed and bs as it was, helped Tory a lot, and many voters in the city list transit as a top priority.

I will however agree with you on the York Spadina extension, at least past York u.
Point got messed up. Politicians not like Ford. Basically, we need politicians to stick to plans, NOT like Ford.

I got no problems with my money going to transit since I use it...? I don't trust the people in charge there to use it properly.

Ummm...I know the downtown relief line is important...? I would benefit from it and I'm saying we need it..?

Fuck Bombardier. I would be fine not buying Canadian again.

Did I talk about widening roads...???

Smart Track is a smoke screen.

Was referring to Shepard Yonge

Tuck

Point got messed up. Politicians not like Ford. Basically, we need politicians to stick to plans, NOT like Ford.

I got no problems with my money going to transit since I use it...? I don't trust the people in charge there to use it properly.

Ummm...I know the downtown relief line is important...? I would benefit from it and I'm saying we need it..?

Fuck Bombardier. I would be fine not buying Canadian again.

Did I talk about widening roads...???

Smart Track is a smoke screen.

Was referring to Shepard Yonge

Oh my bad, for some reason I thought I was talking to one person when I quoted two separate people.

Roto13

First part I have no comment on, but it's the first time I've heard the second part. Unless you haven't gone there in a long time or live way outside actual Vancouver, I don't know how you think the TTC is amazing compared to Translink. Ever since I got to Toronto, I've started to think all the complaints against Translink are baseless when compared to TTC.

When I moved from Vancouver to Toronto, I couldn't believe how much shittier and more backwards the TTC was compared to Translink.

Also, Vancouver had recently achieved 50% of trips being by bike, transit, or walking so that has reduced the traffic burden. Granted, their transit system is much better but the city is also quite small in area, so planning might be somehow easier.

The TTC definitely has its own special issue of not only having to cover a large swath of land, but also has to technically serve the City of Toronto and connect Toronto with residents traveling in from the rest of Greater Toronto. The GTA is at 6-6.5 million residents right now and is steadily increasing, whereas Vancouver's Metro area is only at 2-2.5 million residents but covers a smaller amount of land (GTA's 7 square km vs Vancouver's 2 square km).

Panic ensues when its expected that the GTA will surpass the province of Quebec's population within the next few decades. The one thing I agree with Tory on is that Toronto is most definitely not like our fellow major cities in Canada, and we're growing at a faster rate than any of them. Our circumstances are too different to easily throw around comparisons. I'd actually wager this city has enough financial and political weight to tell the province of Ontario to fuck off and take the rest of the GTA with us to form our own province.

Every day I refresh Flipp and RFD hoping to see TV prices drop for Super Bowl weekend (specifically the 55" LG B6). Every day I lament not buying the damned thing during Black Friday.

$2200 vs. the 'sale price' of $2999 is bullshit.

MTR gets shit done. I'm in HK right now and they've already opened two new stations since I last visited like 3ish years ago. Fucking Toronto votes to pay over a billion dollars for a single stop to Scarborough, lmao.

Too bad we love overpaying lazy ass government/union workers in Canada.

jokkir

How's the lineup for the Switch event? Kinda willing to line up but if it's too long, nah. I woke up way too late this morning lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
MTR gets shit done. I'm in HK right now and they've already opened two new stations since I last visited like 3ish years ago. Fucking Toronto votes to pay over a billion dollars for a single stop to Scarborough, lmao.

Too bad we love overpaying lazy ass government/union workers in Canada.
Part of the problem is that's it's underground and it'd be the second longest subway stop...in the world...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
But are you telling me the good people of Scarborough don't DESERVE a subway...! D:
After looking at the following graphic from the last election that's exactly what I'm saying.

K6VuaiI.jpg

Renewed

Ride this train to the end of the world dammit

How's the lineup for the Switch event? Kinda willing to line up but if it's too long, nah. I woke up way too late this morning lol

All passes were claimed before 10am apparently, but hey give it a shot.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
-17 windchill. What a great way to start the week. Delicious.
Didn't feel cold at all this morning at 5:30 when I walked down to the bus.

Did anyone see the protest that started at City Hall then went to the US Consulate? They had a pretty good crowd.

dluu13

Didn't feel cold at all this morning at 5:30 when I walked down to the bus.

Did anyone see the protest that started at City Hall then went to the US Consulate? They had a pretty good crowd.

Hmm, i could adjust my route to take me by there later when I head to work. I'll probably check it out.

krae_man

Insurance will cover my implant at an amount that will exceed my annual maximum.

Throw in my health care spending account money, and a 20% non refundable tax credit on a portion of the uncovered amount and I'll get about $2700 of the $5500 total cost covered.

Could have been worse I guess.

You know what's a surreal moment? Going to your local Metro at 4am to buy cat food and having the only cashier there randomly prompt a convo in how the Sun misleads readers on how Toronto Hydro delivery charges work and how TPS unfairly investigates dispensariesmwhile turning a blind eye to dispensary robberies.

Tawrana af alie?

Kwixotik

American here. I want to move to the Toronto area after graduation but apparently in Canada physical therapists make $45000, while they make $60-80k here and I have $100k student loan debt.

Just wanted to say I'm jelly.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
American here. I want to move to the Toronto area after graduation but apparently in Canada physical therapists make $45000, while they make $60-80k here and I have $100k student loan debt.

Probably depends on the area too. You're more likely to make more in Toronto, or Vancouver, but your cost of living is going to be much greater than living in a rural area. Just a brief look at physical therapists salaries in Toronto / Canada, seems like $50,000 starting upwards of $80,000 CAD.

Keep in mind that $80,000 you could earn will generally get you less in Toronto and Canada as a whole though. With the CAD weakening, prices are on the rise across the board (video games, food, etc), and even compared to a few years ago, it's rough.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

But what about your freedom?! D:
I assume when you say 45000 that's USD and not CAD?
Probably depends on the area too. You're more likely to make more in Toronto, or Vancouver, but your cost of living is going to be much greater than living in a rural area. Just a brief look at physical therapists salaries in Toronto / Canada, seems like $50,000 starting upwards of $80,000 CAD.

Keep in mind that $80,000 you could earn will generally get you less in Toronto and Canada as a whole though. With the CAD weakening, prices are on the rise across the board (video games, food, etc), and even compared to a few years ago, it's rough.
Yeah, it's expensive in Toronto. The rent is high as well. I think you also need to keep in mind that if you do stay here, you still need to file your taxes in America like ol Evilmario here had to do. Still, there is definitely a demand for any sort of health related occupations right now as well as tradespeople.

Kwixotik

But what about your freedom?! D:
I assume when you say 45000 that's USD and not CAD?

Yeah, it's expensive in Toronto. The rent is high as well. I think you also need to keep in mind that if you do stay here, you still need to file your taxes in America like ol Evilmario here had to do. Still, there is definitely a demand for any sort of health related occupations right now as well as tradespeople.

Yeah, all my numbers were in USD, sorry. I don't think it's feasible for me to take a salary that low with my student debt. Maybe after I get it paid off, if Trump doesn't have me in a camp by then.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

I'm fairly sure physiotherapists make about the same in Canada as the USA.

i-Jest

You know what's a surreal moment? Going to your local Metro at 4am to buy cat food and having the only cashier there randomly prompt a convo in how the Sun misleads readers on how Toronto Hydro delivery charges work and how TPS unfairly investigates dispensariesmwhile turning a blind eye to dispensary robberies.

Tawrana af alie?

Sounds like a hilarious ice breaker. How attractive was she?

Some quick beer news for you:

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge is returning to the LCBO. Already in stock at my store.
Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René is also returning this spring. Yay, sour beer!
Also in stock: Old Rasputin and Stone Xocoveza. Incredibly popular American beers, and at a surprisingly competitive price (it's actually cheaper to buy Old Rasputin here than in the US!).
Goose Island Gillian is being released for the first time in Canada, next week, but only at Summerhill. (It's a wristband event. If it's like the BCBS event, though, it'll probably be easy to get a bottle.)
Founders KBS is also on its way. This is the one I'm most excited about, honestly. We rarely get anything from Founders, and their stuff is amazing. Founders Breakfast Stout is one of my favorite stouts, so the KBS is going to be a treat.

I tried a bottle of the Stone Xocoveza last night. It's a trip (it's a mocha stout with pasilla chile peppers, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg). If anybody here loves stouts, don't sleep on this.

Some quick beer news for you:

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge is returning to the LCBO. Already in stock at my store.
Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René is also returning this spring. Yay, sour beer!
Also in stock: Old Rasputin and Stone Xocoveza. Incredibly popular American beers, and at a surprisingly competitive price (it's actually cheaper to buy Old Rasputin here than in the US!).
Goose Island Gillian is being released for the first time in Canada, next week, but only at Summerhill. (It's a wristband event. If it's like the BCBS event, though, it'll probably be easy to get a bottle.)
Founders KBS is also on its way. This is the one I'm most excited about, honestly. We rarely get anything from Founders, and their stuff is amazing. Founders Breakfast Stout is one of my favorite stouts, so the KBS is going to be a treat.

I tried a bottle of the Stone Xocoveza last night. It's a trip (it's a mocha stout with pasilla chile peppers, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg). If anybody here loves stouts, don't sleep on this.

Hell yeah! Cuvée Des Jacobins is my jam!

Should also point out (because I only just now noticed) that Not Your Father's Root Beer is available in Canada now, exclusively at The Beer Store.

And I just tried Mill St. Distillery Root Beer this very week. Looking forward to finally being able to sample the supposed king.

explodet

I have yet to try an alcoholic root beer that I find palatable. And I really wanted to like it, too. I'm going to have to stick with cider.

Top Bottom