• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

gabbo

lol they're filming some kind of zombie Halloween thing at the horror house near me that companies keep using and it just looks so poverty. There's a guy throwing dead leaves on the ground to make it look like the fall, and there's a couple of tiny carved pumpkins on the street.

Is this happening brampton by chance?

walei

Anyone has experience going to a professionally related Meetups?

I'm going to IoToronto next week... alone. What should I expect?

Beware of wild Kuros in their natural habitat.

EDIT:

Speaking of our city, just came across this picture from reddit user Wolf of the North:

q2vdtpbor0bz.jpg

So good

walei

Beware of wild Kuros in their natural habitat.

EDIT:

Speaking of our city, just came across this picture from reddit user Wolf of the North:

q2vdtpbor0bz.jpg

So good

What are wild Kuros O_O

Nice Pix! Toronto skyline is so pretty... this is one I took a few winters ago (cue Streets of Rage music)

D4ccZke.jpg

gabbo

What are wild Kuros O_O

A wild Kuro is what Kuro would be feral.
Edit:
Im really contemplating going George A Romero's memorial after work, but I don't know the protocol for such a thing. Is it as sombre an affair as a private viewing or are there going to be people in full zombie regalia paying their respects there?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I still have no idea what this means. Only weirdos go to Meetups?
Inside joke. Ignore those cold loving blubber eaters.

Just go into the meet up with a goal. Are you there to get job prospects, hire people, get updated info on the industry, etc?

So long as you keep your goal in mind when networking at those meet ups and aren't just aimlessly meeting people, you'll get what you want out of it. A notepad with a pen and business cards or possibly a resume would work too. You want to make sure that once you get a contact you'll write it down so you won't forget later.

Inside joke. Ignore those cold loving blubber eaters.

Just go into the meet up with a goal. Are you there to get job prospects, hire people, get updated info on the industry, etc?

So long as you keep your goal in mind when networking at those meet ups and aren't just aimlessly meeting people, you'll get what you want out of it. A notepad with a pen and business cards or possibly a resume would work too. You want to make sure that once you get a contact you'll write it down so you won't forget later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBNcjvxLfFc

jokkir

There's a ton. And if you go to language meetups, I found that there's a ton of developers there too.

But yeah, big ones are wearewearables, DevTO, and a few other ones I forgot about.

Hey toronto gaf! Just wondering how far you guys commute to work? I live in waterloo and have just applied to a job in toronto. About 120 km commute...do any of you have a brutal commute to and from work?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey toronto gaf! Just wondering how far you guys commute to work? I live in waterloo and have just applied to a job in toronto. About 120 km commute...do any of you have a brutal commute to and from work?
I knew profs that commuted Toronto to Guelph 3-5 days a week. Seems miserable.

I'm still amazed at the prof who did Montreal to Guelph 3 days a week. Montreal to Toronto then an hour+ drive to Guelph for three hours of work. Yeesh. lol

dluu13

That sounds unsustainable to me, especially given rush hour traffic. If you've got nothing tying you down you should try and rent a place close by to your work.

gabbo

About 10-15km depending on the bus/shift schedule I have. Thankfully not too bad.

Entropia

No One Remembers

I wouldn't be able to do a K-W to TO commute everyday. It's an hour to Toronto with light traffic, throw in rush hour/slow moving traffic and that'll easily take you 1.5-2 hours. Do you want to do that everyday?

(I don't live in Toronto or K-W, but I have a 12'ish minute commute to work)

JWiLL

Banned
I commute from Aurora to Oakville every day and it's pretty awful. At least an hour each way. That's with light traffic...so more realistically 1:20-1:30.

On rare days I have to take transit...it's 2.5 hours each way and 2 buses + 2 GO Trains.

Used to live at Yonge/Eg and had a 40 minute, 1 subway commute to a previous job. Much simpler in those days.

Its not quite the traffic that makes me nervous, I know people who make the trip down the 401, but the drive in the winter. Im a competent driver but there are alot of idiot drivers on the 401 especially during the winter. As for renting a apartment id considered it but my lady works down here for now and we are trying to save up for a house down here.

Now i have looked into the GO system, with possibly driving to square one and heading into toronto that way.

Edit:not to mention im probably getting way ahead of myself here, I haven't even been contacted for an interview yet!

krae_man

Square one is already 90% of the way there and you already encounter 2 of the main choke points(Hwy 8 and the Airport). The trains are like 2 hours but consistent and you won't have to pay for parking, not to mention the wear and tear on your car driving 250km every day. Probably worth it if you can take the TTC from union station to your new job if you get it. Although, you will have to pay for parking in Kitchener unless you want to take GRT to the train station and that will add another 30 minutes to your commute.

That high speed rail corridor can't come soon enough.

I have a 35 minute walk.

It's not so bad for me...just subway travel, so I sit there and read. Davisville to Shep/Yonge, then Shep/Yonge to Don Mills. From there I take a bus for five minutes or just walk, depending on weather.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Distance wise it's not bad. Basically, Queen and Spadina. Traffic wise going to work is fantastic to ok but going home is a nightmare. Just like right now. 30 min and I'm not even at Eaton centre yet.

My drive to work is 25km one way, 50km per day total with my daily driver.

I cannot imagine doing my weekly 250km commute, on a day to day basis.

Does anyone else have the Samsung Galaxy 8+ ? Thinking of picking one up in a week or two. I stopped using iPhones after having the 4S. Really wish the Note 8 would be out sooner, but I am in the market to replace my current phone now rather than later.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's the August 1st concert, right?

Why the fuck are they holding a concert on a weekday.

-_-
Yeah. Their tour schedule seems packed though, so I assume they wanted to churn as many cities as they can before the summer is over and Zimmer has to go back to making more music .

There were some cheap floor seats but it looks like they're gone now. I'm okay with watching it on Youtube I suppose. Not going to pay 200 bucks for nosebleed seating. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If Zimmer doesn't play Rock House Jail, I will be entirely disappointed.
I don't know if it's a rights thing or whatever, but there are no Michael Bay films in his setlist.

The first half is all older stuff, EXCEPT his Michael Bay work. The second half is all Nolan/Snyder scores. lol

Saw G-Dragon at the ACC last night, dude was rocking a sleek mullet in honor of being in Canada. Cool show but GD was also regularly hidden behind the giant speaker right in our line of sight >:O

Top Bottom