• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

Krell is a dead Chaos Lord of Khorne that serves as Heinrich Kemmler's minion and bodyguard after he resurrected him. He isn't really a good choice for a LL, I think they might update Kemmler instead - with a new starting position, perhaps. He's from Bretonnia, after all

I was just wondering if the campaign was meant for game 1 or 2, since he has a magical ship. I'll be more than happy to play one more campaign in the old world and unlock the faction for the grand campaign. It's a cool pre-order bonus, and they've been way better at creating new campaigns since the WE and Brets

It'd be interesting if Kemmler got a better start and, say, a hero bodyguard or something. I can't muster interest in playing when when the choice is between Vlad, Mannfred, and him.

karnage10

Banned
i think krell just released.
In fact my warhammer is updating right now. This caught me offguard.

announcement here

Basically krell is a spell for kemmler. kemmler also gets new abilities to make krell more powerful in battle.

There will still be free content with the Norsca patch. A CA person said it on reddit. Kemmler for example will get new skills that buff Krell.

I was thinking about diving back into this but I only have the vanilla+free DLC, what are the best mods right now through the workshop?

Mind you I found the vanilla game to be perfect.

karnage10

Banned
It recently hit me that they'll have to do a blood pack DLC for TWWH2, since it is a separate game. Wonder how that will pan out for them.

CA said that if you own the blood pack for warhammer 1 you receive, for free, the blood pack for warhammer 2.

I wonder what happens if you buy warhammer 2 blood pack first then go for warhammer 1?

karnage10

Banned
there was a stream that showed norsca. The most "important" part was the leak that both norsca and beastmen will have RoR.

On norsca itself i'm kinda worried they will be OP, so OP that there will be no challenge to the campaign. Obviously there are still a few weeks so stats of the units might not be final.
What units are super OP?
- skinwolves -> quick with good stats + anti large, On stream, 2 units of them tear apart knights of the realm like they are nothing. while they have low armour they can destroy any low/mid cavalry unit.
- mammoth -> i don't get the stats at all. It has more health then a giant (around 13k), 70 of armor, around 500 damage of which 400 of that is AP. In the stream battles, it absolutely destroyed any unit it encounter and barely took any damage. I don't think any of the mammoths were below 50% hp at any given point.

Aside from that, i think the animations were better then i expected. The models in particular the mammoth and the troll king look so pretty!

What do you guys think?

Poor Wood Elves, getting left out of the RoR party.

Re: Mammoths, what were the numbers on morale? They may be really strong but if they can get spooked easily then that might be their big Achilles heel, sort of like Trolls. Outside of that, I imagine they'll be like giants where if you can actually manage to get them on an important unit they'll destroy it but they get easily bogged down fighting worthless cannon fodder. Throw a unit of spearmen or two at the mammoth and while it won't die it will take all day to actually kill them and is thus not really recouping its cost?

karnage10

Banned
Poor Wood Elves, getting left out of the RoR party.

Re: Mammoths, what were the numbers on morale? They may be really strong but if they can get spooked easily then that might be their big Achilles heel, sort of like Trolls. Outside of that, I imagine they'll be like giants where if you can actually manage to get them on an important unit they'll destroy it but they get easily bogged down fighting worthless cannon fodder. Throw a unit of spearmen or two at the mammoth and while it won't die it will take all day to actually kill them and is thus not really recouping its cost?

Mammoths had 70 leadership. Their area of effect attack is huge, they eat units like foot squires easily.
They have 30 MA and 40MD + 80 charge bonus.

Since beastmen and norsca get RoR i think every faction is getting RoR. It would be unfair to add RoR to some DLC factions and ignore the others.

If the new RoR(s) are like the second one, with interesting new start locations/leaders that are essentially microfactions, I'm fully onboard with that. But if it's like the first... then yikes.

But, re: Mammoths, do we know anything about Norsca's economy or infrastructure? The catch with Mammoths might be that they're difficult to acquire or maintain, which is balanced out by how good they are.
CA said that if you own the blood pack for warhammer 1 you receive, for free, the blood pack for warhammer 2.

I wonder what happens if you buy warhammer 2 blood pack first then go for warhammer 1?
An ideal situation would be a kind of cross-ownership, where buying one gets you all of them. (Even the third's.) But I don't know of anything on Steam that has done that, so the capability might not even be there.

karnage10

Banned
If the new RoR(s) are like the second one, with interesting new start locations/leaders that are essentially microfactions, I'm fully onboard with that. But if it's like the first... then yikes.

I doubt they will make new subfactions while making norsca. I doubt there will be any new LL. These RoR are also "free".

These RoR are just to level the playing field. Right now only the 4 main factions can use RoR which gives them a main advantage over any other faction. Having the rest of the factions, specially the hordes, will make them more dangerous and make the campaign more unpredictable (I expect beastmen to do much more damage if they survive long enough).

All that said I'm still hopeful they will add a new subfaction for empire.

But, re: Mammoths, do we know anything about Norsca's economy or infrastructure? The catch with Mammoths might be that they're difficult to acquire or maintain, which is balanced out by how good they are.

We don't know a anything, if they are,indeed, difficult to acquire like with those new monster hunter quests; then it would make sense that they have those OP stats.

An ideal situation would be a kind of cross-ownership, where buying one gets you all of them. (Even the third's.) But I don't know of anything on Steam that has done that, so the capability might not even be there.

steam can do that if i'm not mistaken (i'm not a dev). CA could make it by doing this:
When blood DLC arrives for game 2; blood DLC for game 1 is removed from the market; CA add to that DLC package the DLC blood for game 2.
On the store page a new packet is created where you both DLC packs for the price of one. The individual packs are removed from sale.

Lord Phol

Introducing... War Hydra

Definitely my favorite monster so far, looks really badass, as does pretty much anything Dark Elves related. Was really hyped to see my boys the Whites Lions as well! Had some fun playing one in the warhammer MMO. Hope to see some War Lions joining the fray.

karnage10

Banned
That hydra is so so awesome! I suspect what the blood DLC will do on that animation...

Warhammer 2 is going be in this thread or a new thread?

Hmm. Not sure. It's kind of a sequel in name only, isn't it? More of an expandalone, especially considering that you really do need both games for full functionality.

Maybe just get a title change to reflect that it's more of a series OT?

I was kinda hoping to make OT for warhammer 2 since I probably have time and it is a game I like enough to understand it well; however my english is a bit crappy since i only get practice here so maybe I am not the right choice.

I think it would be better to have an OT for each title since each game is stand alone (that obviously links to the other OTs). That way new people would not be overwhelmed with info and know exactly what is available to that entry.

The Mega Grand Campaign will make things kinda blurry, but for the purposes of discussing TWWH2 giving it a discrete OT makes the most sense to me. It is considered a stand-alone game after all.
I was kinda hoping to make OT for warhammer 2 since I probably have time and it is a game I like enough to understand it well; however my english is a bit crappy since i only get practice here so maybe I am not the right choice.

I think it would be better to have an OT for each title since each game is stand alone (that obviously links to the other OTs). That way new people would not be overwhelmed with info and know exactly what is available to that entry.
I dunno if it's called by anyone (there's a thread for reserving OTs somewhere) but if it's available, I'd say go for it! This OT gives a good template, although I'd recommend a section at the top explaining the whole TWWH trilogy thing, and how it's a standalone expansion--which will no doubt confuse a lot of people.

I'd offer to edit but I'm pretty awful at writing, myself. I'll be happy to proofread/offer suggestions before it goes live though, just PM me a preview.
Introducing... War Hydra

Definitely my favorite monster so far, looks really badass, as does pretty much anything Dark Elves related. Was really hyped to see my boys the Whites Lions as well! Had some fun playing one in the warhammer MMO. Hope to see some War Lions joining the fray.
Ah... the wydra.

Wonder if that hero eating is some special ability or what. I don't remember heroes getting knocked around so much.
I doubt they will make new subfactions while making norsca. I doubt there will be any new LL. These RoR are also "free".

These RoR are just to level the playing field. Right now only the 4 main factions can use RoR which gives them a main advantage over any other faction. Having the rest of the factions, specially the hordes, will make them more dangerous and make the campaign more unpredictable (I expect beastmen to do much more damage if they survive long enough).

All that said I'm still hopeful they will add a new subfaction for empire.

Oh, er... I didn't realise this other RoR would be free. Explains a lot.

I don't actually know how the Beastmen will support more expensive units. They barely have the economy for regular ones, in my experience. AI Beastmen will be an ever-present scourge, though; the AI always has RoRs on their main army.

Lister

Banned
Doyou get Norsca right away after preordering Warhammer II? And does anyone know if you get norsca if you prorder from Amazon, or is it only if you do it on Steam?

EDIT:: Nevermind, looks like norsca isn't out till August.

ElyrionX

I need to get back into this. I've only ever played two campaigns of Empire thus far. Bretonnia with its cavalry-heavy army looks pretty sweet.

Picked this up on sale last week, my first time with any TW game and I really dig it. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing though, yet I've confederated two huge provinces by turn 30 playing as Empire. I have no idea what I should be planning for, and I'm just trying to fight sure win scenarios with my army to build up their ranks.

karnage10

Banned
Campaign lest's play for norsca.

For those that don't want to watch It shows some cool new mechanics such as:
- monster hunting (quest like battles unlocked by tech)
- beating the enemy faction leader for confederation
- norsca "doesn't have an economy" (best economy building makes only 300)
- you can favor the chaos gods, but you can only choose a couple (choosing to favor one harms the others)-> one of the prizes is being able to recruit the bird or release a deadly plague.
- lord marauders have 4 small ability trees
- throgg is the true king in the north and buffs trolls A LOT
- feral mammoths cost a whooping 400 upkeep, yes more then their best money making building.

Doyou get Norsca right away after preordering Warhammer II? And does anyone know if you get norsca if you prorder from Amazon, or is it only if you do it on Steam?

EDIT:: Nevermind, looks like norsca isn't out till August.

Not sure how it works with physical editions. In digital stores you get a key that activates both warhammer 2 and the norsca DLC. A single key for both.

I need to get back into this. I've only ever played two campaigns of Empire thus far. Bretonnia with its cavalry-heavy army looks pretty sweet.

bretonnia has some of the most interesting campaign mechanics, battlewise they are a really weird faction since their line is extremely poor; they rout so easily that if you are flanked they probably rout BEFORE the enemy touches them, all that said they have some of the best cavalry in the game, which makes for some weird battles since you lose your line but your flankers are so strong that you wipe the enemy out anyway.

Vampire counts are really really nice to play since they are very different.

Wonder when they will announce the final freeLC and officially reveal the ratkin for TWWH2

No anouncemnt yet, but I imagine the FLC will be detailed next week; skaven will probably be shown after norsca.

Anyone know if you can pre-order Warhammer 2, get Norsca, then cancel the pre-order?

I think that is really a shady attitude to have. That said no you can't get norsca alone; when you buy warhammer 2 digitally you get a single key that activates both items.

Picked this up on sale last week, my first time with any TW game and I really dig it. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing though, yet I've confederated two huge provinces by turn 30 playing as Empire. I have no idea what I should be planning for, and I'm just trying to fight sure win scenarios with my army to build up their ranks.

There is a tab with the "objective" on the lower right corner. Total war is fun until you are too big to be conquered by AI.
Up unto turn 100-150 you should be "fine", after that you will probably have most of the map. Then you can decide to either fulfill the requirements to get the achievement or just start a new campaign.

Ark

I see what you mean but I would argue that preorder DLC is also a little shady.

Welcome to 2017. To be fair, the Norsca DLC is only free if you pre order or purchase during the first week of release. Otherwise it can be purchased on Steam for the same price as the other DLC factions.

Biggest news from that Norsca campaign gameplay is the new resource, obsidian (IIRC), on the TWWH1 campaign map. I kinda doubt it's only in Norscan territory, which would mean new buildings for everybody!

I wonder how much obsidian the Dark Elves have.

Commiting fraud is more than a little shady, Dmax.

I have a very basic movement question here, but can't find the answer - is there a continue movement button/control anywhere?

For example, if I set an army to march to a settlement,but it can only go half way in one turn, is there a button I can click on the next turn so it just continues along the path rather than me having to set the destination again?

This is a common command in 4x games, but I cant figure out how to do it here. I'm assuming it exists somewhere considering you can set destinations beyond an army's movement in any given turn

I have to ask: have the devs addressed why they didn't title this game "Total Warhammer"? Because it sounds too perfect an opportunity to pass.

I have a very basic movement question here, but can't find the answer - is there a continue movement button/control anywhere?

For example, if I set an army to march to a settlement,but it can only go half way in one turn, is there a button I can click on the next turn so it just continues along the path rather than me having to set the destination again?

This is a common command in 4x games, but I cant figure out how to do it here. I'm assuming it exists somewhere considering you can set destinations beyond an army's movement in any given turn

You can just select the settlement and If It Takes Longer Than One Turn It Will Move There Automatically On The Next Move. Although note it will move at the end of your next turn and not the start. This lets you cancel the move if you wish.

karnage10

Banned

I kinda disagree with you in this particular case. Yes, there is no doubt pre-order and anything that incentivisses that is shady as hell however IMO warhammer 2 has one of the best "pre-order bonuses" ever made. I think the following points show why it is a good approach:
- you don't actually need to pre-order; if you buy the game up to 1 week after launch you still get it;
- there is no "cut content"
- rewards the fans of the previous game as well as anyone that has the first game (since they can play against a new faction and also get content for free).

I think the previous points clearly show this "pre-order" DLC is by no means a quick cash grab. In an ideal world there will be no pre-orders and no pre-order DLC however what CA has done is a rather good compromise.

Top Bottom