• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Are materials gained from monster affected by chapter i'm in ?

I killed ower 100 imps and still haven't gotten one of 4 materials they give.

Yaoibot

Wow, I'm way behind most of you. On chapter 4-4 (I think thats how its done SP - MP). I've had terrible luck with online, has it improved at all since launch?

ramyeon

As a Sword user I imagine you have to wait until its second form to try and break it? Cimmerian's, I mean. How do you break its wing though.......?

AIs are not reliable to break higher parts, and MP connection isn't always reliable. My biggest yeah-no reasons for not using Swords actually, despite how cool looking they are. Perhaps the only alternative is to stack yourself with SPT mitama and launch stuff like Fountain and Pursuit...? But then again, they "target the last part targeted", right......?
Cimmerian's Horn is always unreachable from the ground. Never seen him fall over to a point where it's reachable either although there may be points when it is. Second form wings are easy, special at the right time can take them out or a vertical attack can hit them and then use SPT mitama to damage them. The first form wings I've never had an issue with since the AI has always broken them or other players on MP.

Dunno MP is fine for me. There are bugs but for example we played hours and hours today with only a few issues. The people that get issues all the time should be looking into fixing their network settings.
Are materials gained from monster affected by chapter i'm in ?

I killed ower 100 imps and still haven't gotten one of 4 materials they give.
In high rank (Chapter 6+) yeah.

Seil

As a Sword user I imagine you have to wait until its second form to try and break it? Cimmerian's, I mean. How do you break its wing though.......?

AIs are not reliable to break higher parts, and MP connection isn't always reliable. My biggest yeah-no reasons for not using Swords actually, despite how cool looking they are. Perhaps the only alternative is to stack yourself with SPT mitama and launch stuff like Fountain and Pursuit...? But then again, they "target the last part targeted", right......?

Fountain generally centers on the boss no matter where targeted(Some exceptions I think. Warden's tail seemed to make the fountain center on it instead of the main body when I tried. Not sure if it was a fluke or not.) Pursuit does try to home in on the last target, though.

Swords are the only weapon I haven't given a fair chance. I used gauntlets until Pyropteryx - I managed to break everything on Windshredder first try, but pyropteryx was a nope with gauntlets for me.) After that I swore off the non targeting/non aerial weapons. For SP at the very least.

ramyeon

Fountain generally centers on the boss no matter where targeted(Some exceptions I think. Warden's tail seemed to make the fountain center on it instead of the main body when I tried. Not sure if it was a fluke or not.) Pursuit does try to home in on the last target, though.

Swords are the only weapon I haven't given a fair chance. I used gauntlets until Pyropteryx - I managed to break everything on Windshredder first try, but pyropteryx was a nope with gauntlets for me.) After that I swore off the non targeting/non aerial weapons. For SP at the very least.
Dunno I broke everything on every Oni first time around up until Hell's Warden with the Sword. And even then the aim of the game isn't to break every part it's to kill them :p so unless I'm farming materials or playing multiplayer I don't really mind.

wilflare

Dunno I broke everything on every Oni first time around up until Hell's Warden with the Sword. And even then the aim of the game isn't to break every part it's to kill them :p so unless I'm farming materials or playing multiplayer I don't really mind.

lol. I really want to clear battles quickly lol.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Cimmerian's Horn is always unreachable from the ground. Never seen him fall over to a point where it's reachable either although there may be points when it is. Second form wings are easy, special at the right time can take them out or a vertical attack can hit them and then use SPT mitama to damage them. The first form wings I've never had an issue with since the AI has always broken them or other players on MP.

Sorry, for some reason I misimagined Cimmerian as Cthonian.

Yes, so how do you break its horn as a sword user then? Just hoping that the AI will do the trick? Because they can be very unreliable at times.

Dunno MP is fine for me. There are bugs but for example we played hours and hours today with only a few issues. The people that get issues all the time should be looking into fixing their network settings.

Well, I guess you are lucky in that department, but I think it is unreliable to depend on MP when you actively pursue a specific drop that's breakable only from higher-located Oni parts that swords cannot reach.

Can gauntlets break higher parts? I guess a ranged attacker or weapons capable of ranged destroyer is a *must* for every hunting party that want to destroy higher parts reliably, huh.

Ogawa-san

I can't not break all the parts, it's why I switched from LS to bow.

I wonder if that bothers the random people I play online with... Maybe they just want to get it done while I'm there shooting horns :p

ramyeon

Sorry, for some reason I misimagined Cimmerian as Cthonian.

Yes, so how do you break its horn as a sword user then? Just hoping that the AI will do the trick? Because they can be very unreliable at times.

Well, I guess you are lucky in that department, but I think it is unreliable to depend on MP when you actively pursue a specific drop that's breakable only from higher-located Oni parts that swords cannot reach.
It really isn't unreliable to depend on MP when the game is basically built to be played with other people. It's like Hammer users in Monster Hunter who can't cut tails themselves. They like the weapon so they still use it regardless and leave the tail cutting to the blade weapon users in the party. That's where teamwork comes in and that's great imo.

Hunting games imo are first and foremost MP experiences and the SP is there as an after thought. Besides, with the community here there is no reason at all why you won't be able to find some people willing to hunt with you and help you get the parts you need regardless of your progress.

I think it'd be even better if Toukiden was more like that and didn't allow bow users to destroy certain parts etc.

Seil

Can gauntlets break higher parts? I guess a ranged attacker or weapons capable of ranged destroyer is a *must* for every hunting party that want to destroy higher parts reliably, huh.

Gauntlets can break high parts with their destroyer I believe. But I didn't get that until I had given em up haha. I didn't use destroyers much early in.

ramyeon

Besides which guys, if you want to main a weapon and then need to use a different type of weapon every now and then for difficult to break parts that's easy to do as well :p it's not like you have to choose one weapon and stick with that and only that for every fight.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It really isn't unreliable to depend on MP when the game is basically built to be played with other people. It's like Hammer users in Monster Hunter who can't cut tails themselves. They like the weapon so they still use it regardless and leave the tail cutting to the blade weapon users in the party. That's where teamwork comes in and that's great imo.

Hunting games imo are first and foremost MP experiences and the SP is there as an after thought. Besides, with the community here there is no reason at all why you won't be able to find some people willing to hunt with you and help you get the parts you need regardless of your progress.

I think it'd be even better if Toukiden was more like that and didn't allow bow users to destroy certain parts etc.

Hmmmmm.
Although it's hard to arrange a MP session with you folks due to our time difference and having need to work >________>

I guess so. I like swords--they look really cool, the best appearance wise, I think. I ought to try it hmmm. What Mitama setup is best for a Sword user, in your opinion?

Gauntlets can break high parts with their destroyer I believe. But I didn't get that until I had given em up haha. I didn't use destroyers much early in.

Oh really? Huh.

Gauntlet users can't evade though, huh. Is it bad? I mean, to lose the ability to evade.

Besides which guys, if you want to main a weapon and then need to use a different type of weapon every now and then for difficult to break parts that's easy to do as well :p it's not like you have to choose one weapon and stick with that and only that for every fight.

Hahahaha I guess this is true.

Though it can be expensive as hell.

ramyeon

Hmmmmm.
Although it's hard to arrange a MP session with you folks due to our time difference and having need to work >________>

I guess so. I like swords--they look really cool, the best appearance wise, I think. I ought to try it hmmm. What Mitama setup is best for a Sword user, in your opinion?

Oh really? Huh.

Gauntlet users can't evade though, huh. Is it bad? I mean, to lose the ability to evade.
Spirit definitely. Allows you to easily destroy parts that are a little bit inconvenient to attack. I've only really tried that and Attack but Spirit seems to be the best.

Gauntlets can block instead of dodging.
Laughing Banana said:
Hahahaha I guess this is true.

Though it can be expensive as hell.
Nah not really, unless you're making every single type of two weapon classes. All you'd need is a go-to set of knives or a bow with decent base damage and upgrade to a better whenever that gets too weak.

wilflare

Spirit definitely. Allows you to easily destroy parts that are a little bit inconvenient to attack. I've only really tried that and Attack but Spirit seems to be the best.

Gauntlets can block instead of dodging.

Nah not really, unless you're making every single type of two weapon classes. All you'd need is a go-to set of knives or a bow with decent base damage and upgrade to a better whenever that gets too weak.

any tips on Mitama? lol I haven't given much thought to them.

hmm. so you actually use the Triangle Special attack to break parts?

what are you guys playing this with? Vita sound output, headphones or earphones?

Scher

Oh really? Huh.

The gauntlet's special attack has infinite vertical range, so it's possible to hit any target with it. Ever since I got Swordsmanship, I've been able to break all parts on high rank single player bosses. Unfortunately, most low rank bosses die before I can break all the parts.

Also, gauntlets can block and you can still roll out of stuff if you watch tells and know when to interrupt your combo.

wilflare

The gauntlet's special attack has infinite vertical range, so it's possible to hit any target with it. Ever since I got Swordsmanship, I've been able to break all parts on high rank single player bosses. Unfortunately, most low rank bosses die before I can break all the parts.

Also, gauntlets can block and you can still roll out of stuff if you watch tells and know when to interrupt your combo.

hmm time to unlock Swordsmanship (it's a Mitama skill right?)
really kinda annoyed that i cant break everything with my sword lol

Scher

hmm time to unlock Swordsmanship (it's a Mitama skill right?)
really kinda annoyed that i cant break everything with my sword lol

Yeah, it's a mitama skill. Makes it so all critical hits give a bonus to the weapon gauge, which works wonderfully with the gauntlets ability to always crit if you time your hits right. I'm not sure what all mitamas give that boost, but I use Date Masamune, which has Swordsmanship and Expert Destroyer.

wilflare

Yeah, it's a mitama skill. Makes it so all critical hits give a bonus to the weapon gauge, which works wonderfully with the gauntlets ability to always crit if you time your hits right. I'm not sure what all mitamas give that boost, but I use Date Masamune, which has Swordsmanship and Expert Destroyer.

I should really pay attention to my Mitama... haven't been really bothering about them. maybe that's why I'm not so fast/deadly :/

how much money does it take to upgrade the Offering Box... T_T

swnny

Argh, today was the ETA for my pre-order from zavvi... close to the end of the working day, I still haven't received the game. :(
You guys are already talking about endgame content, and I'm still sitting here... waiting. :D

So after playing every mission in chapter 5 bar the king and I without failing I thought I'll give it ago. After 50 mins he got the better of me. Was out of heals and used both pray stones.

So thought I would give it another go on my lunch break. Changed armour a bit so more defence and a bit Less fire resist as he doesnt hit with the fireball to often.

Took 56 mins but did it on my last respawn, both stones used and with all parts destroyed. Felt good. Need 2 more items for feet to get full armour set now.

I assume ya meant to get better stuff before you take him on but I wanted all of chapter 5 done lol.

Need to try the multiplayer at some point to.

Edit. I use chain and sickle because its by far the most fun to me.

wilflare

so I killed the Viper Queen... but went to check my phone...
only to return seeing "Mission Accomplished" without purifying its corpse :/

Scher

I should really pay attention to my Mitama... haven't been really bothering about them. maybe that's why I'm not so fast/deadly :/

how much money does it take to upgrade the Offering Box... T_T

If you want to know where to get what skills, someone had provided a link earlier to a spreadsheet with a lot of the mitama abilities listed. Not all of the mitamas have their skills listed, but this should be a good way to start finding where to get abilities you would like to use.

Shengar

Destroying part is what bow user do, though they only do shit against trashmob. I wonder if there should a boss that could summon more grunts beside manhunter just to screwed up bow user.

Is there a way to cancel the spear throw special or is it once you press triangle and circle, you better be prepared to hit your target or else itll be wasted?

Shengar

Yeah the amount is crazy, and I stopped caring about platinumed it. I'll just doing it slowly instead of trying to plow them through in one go so I can still enjoy playing it.

Is there a way to cancel the spear throw special or is it once you press triangle and circle, you better be prepared to hit your target or else itll be wasted?

If you want to cancelled it, pray that the boss smack your face. Otherwise, the spear will be thrown into nothingness. So yeah, preapred it accordingly and not use them in reckless way.

Ogawa-san

Trying to get Issun-Boshi, one of the two mitamas with Haku Enthusiast, is what's making me think platinum is unlikely. Cleared one mission ten times, killed every oni on it twice per clear, no mitamas at all even with Heroes' Guidance (Yamato's buff) sometimes.

I'm either farming the wrong place or drop rates are that brutal.

Destroying part is what bow user do, though they only do shit against trashmob. I wonder if there should a boss that could summon more grunts beside manhunter just to screwed up bow user.
I've been using the bow since the beginning, currently Phase 5 SP, 4 for MP (with almost no real online time, just doing it single player to catch up to Gaf, and cause of my wonky play schedule), and have zero troubles with any trashmob. Any
"kill 100 of these"
missions I clear in no time flat with the bow, too.

All this bow hate -_-

Shengar

I've been using the bow since the beginning, currently Phase 5 SP, 4 for MP (with almost no real online time, just doing it single player to catch up to Gaf, and cause of my wonky play schedule), and have zero troubles with any trashmob. Any
"kill 100 of these"
missions I clear in no time flat with the bow, too.

All this bow hate -_-

Well, I speak like that from my experience as an avid bow user :p

Well, I speak like that from my experience as an avid bow user :p

Well then! The "hate" I speak of really only comes down to people not liking dealing with the mobs, that's about it. Npt sure how everyone else does it, but proper timing and distancing of the triangle attacks are my go to for mobs, and they are usually clear in no time. I haven't used a decent comparable non bow weapon to what I am using now for reference though....soooo.......
:p
....you do what works!

One thing I'd like to see though, 4 bows on a mission...Love to see how bad their day gets wrecked..

Shengar

thanks! hmmm hope I don't unlearn useful skills...
are passive skills usually better than active ones?

All mitamas learned skills is passive. But some passively bolster/reinforced active skills if that what you meant. On what is useful, it depends on your playstyle. As you played the game and leveled up more Mitama, you should already have a clue of what kind of passives that benefitted you most.

Well then! The "hate" I speak of really only comes down to people not liking dealing with the mobs, that's about it. Npt sure how everyone else does it, but proper timing and distancing of the triangle attacks are my go to for mobs, and they are usually clear in no time. I haven't used a decent comparable non bow weapon to what I am using now for reference though....soooo.......
:p
....you do what works!

One thing I'd like to see though, 4 bows on a mission...Love to see how bad their day gets wrecked..
I never got any problem with small fries like imps or aurwings. But it's Howler/Blitzer and Razortalon/Goldentalon that always get on my nerves.

Abdiel

Playing pretty much exclusively as a duals user, I stick to the attack mitama. With the perk that gives back focus with every critical hit, carnage and might active... I can use the spin attack for a near endless string of critical hits on every part in range. Throw on leech too and I can go from nearly dead to full health in moments. not too mention being able to climb enemies with the jump attacks.

So much gauntlets talk while I haven't been around to respond. Thankfully Scher is here too.
Short tutorial about the gauntlets' gimmick:

If you time your button presses correctly on gauntlets, every single hit is a critical. And the system goes beyond this as far as what you can do with it.

The gauntlets' main square combo is square 4 times, and you can make each hit crit by timing your button presses. Your combo ends and there're recovery frames after the final hit.

HOWEVER. If you manage to hit perfect timing on all 4 hits of the combo, it loops back into itself with no pausing, and will continue to do so until you mess up the timing, in which case your combo will end on what would've been the 4th hit. This makes combos that aren't normally possible work. Like normally you can't do 4x square, triangle on gauntlets, but if you hit all 4 squares at perfect timing, the triangle will come out afterwards.

Another plus to perfectly timing your hits is that the 4th square of the combo does
double damage if the 3 preceding hits were perfectly timed. Information can be found in the 25th post of this thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/684064-toukiden-the-age-of-demons/68514539

Further, you don't have to use square to time the button presses for crit. You can hit triangle at the proper timing as well and make the previous square attack crit, and lead into the triangle attack or even the circle punch rush attack.

Also, as Scher already mentioned, our special attack has infinite vertical range. If you combine this with something like Expert Destroyer, Swordsmanship (critical hits add to the weapon gauge), you'll get your special off enough times to break all hard to reach spots.

Regarding the gauntlets not being able to evade. I'm not sure what was meant by this. Gauntlets can't ROLL, sure, but I prefer the Gauntlets' quick dash. We can block, and we can dash. It's fast and I've never had an issue getting out of range of a telegraphed attack. If an attack is too fast, block it! We can block anything and everything except for attacks that hit too many times in rapid succession like Manhunter/Bloodhunter's drill spin.

Any way, hope this helps prospective gauntlets users. For other weapon users, you may also find the damage calculations interesting: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/684064-toukiden-the-age-of-demons/68514539

These are translated from the Japanese wiki and start on the 24th post of that thread.

Question:
What the heck do I have to break from
Bladewing
to get the All Parts bonus?
Eye of Truth only shows his paws, his beak and the wing parts. I broke all of them except all the wings, as they keep growning back. What do I have to do?

Question:
What the heck do I have to break from
Bladewing
to get the All Parts bonus?
Eye of Truth only shows his paws, his beak and the wing parts. I broke all of them except all the wings, as they keep growning back. What do I have to do?

They only grow back once, and yes, you do have to break them all the 2nd time as well.

If you time it right (have to be pretty quick), you can interrupt the point where he grows the feathers back with a special attack and I don't think he'll try again.

They only grow back once, and yes, you do have to break them all the 2nd time as well.
I swear he has grown them back on me like 3-4 times....what a jerk...
But it's Howler/Blitzer and Razortalon/Goldentalon that always get on my nerves.
Ahh too true, those oni are pretty dang jerky too.

I would like some advice from all players, but especially those have beaten the game....what I am doing is when I get new weapons/armor, I max them all to +9, then I move on to the next weapon/armor set. Though it does kind of hurt a little when I am levelling up one weapon, only to see another brand new wepaon of the same element that is definitely better. I forgoe switching to that new hotness, and keep on levelling the old stuff, grinding away on Oni where Istill need some aprts to buy the equipment if I need. I now am about 4 items behind on both weapons and armor...

Does everyone play this way? Or is it better to just use whatever weapon the Oni is weakest to all the time, and the levels will come naturally? I thought that if I used an element the Oni is certainly NOT weak to, I'd have to fight it longer, which would increase my compatibility more, bettering the chances of maxing the bar with one fight. I hate nothing more than doing a mission, to find the compatibility bar filled up *almost* all the way, so then I have to do another stupid easy mission to take care of the rest of the way, just wasting time :( For those that have beaten the game, simple yes or no will work, have you all found use for fortifying everything up to +9?

I don't mind doing levelling everything up, it's just time consuming...but then again I do love this game..

I would like some advice from all players, but especially those have beaten the game....what I am doing is when I get new weapons/armor, I max them all to +9, then I move on to the next weapon/armor set. Though it does kind of hurt a little when I am levelling up one weapon, only to see another brand new wepaon of the same element that is definitely better. I forgoe switching to that new hotness, and keep on levelling the old stuff, grinding away on Oni where Istill need some aprts to buy the equipment if I need. I now am about 4 items behind on both weapons and armor...

Does everyone play this way? Or is it better to just use whatever weapon the Oni is weakest to all the time, and the levels will come naturally? I thought that if I used an element the Oni is certainly NOT weak to, I'd have to fight it longer, which would increase my compatibility more, bettering the chances of maxing the bar with one fight. I hate nothing more than doing a mission, to find the compatibility bar filled up *almost* all the way, so then I have to do another stupid easy mission to take care of the rest of the way, just wasting time :( For those that have beaten the game, simple yes or no will work, have you all found use for fortifying everything up to +9?

I don't mind doing levelling everything up, it's just time consuming...but then again I do love this game..

No. I don't fortify everything to +9. I am a self proclaimed and proud damage whore. I will use whatever weapon has the highest base damage in my possession even if another one is at +8 and 90% toward +9.

I especially see no reason in +9'ing weapons that are going to upgrade into other ones later (besides precursors to Mitama weapons of course) since you'll lose the shiny +9 and the upgraded +0 will STILL be better in every way.

Okay, well, in my personal experience I've never seen them grow back more than once, and it's usually when he's at 50% hp.

I could be wrong, of course.

maouvin

Okay, well, in my personal experience I've never seen them grow back more than once, and it's usually when he's at 50% hp.

I could be wrong, of course.

You kill things so fast you can't see the miracle of wing regen more than once. Record here is 3 times (the third was interrupted by a destroyer, tho).

And to Baron von Beans: no.

Ogawa-san

Finally got Issun-bōshi. Haku Collector increases haku gains from purified parts/dead oni by 20%. I was expecting a flat 20% increase, including mission bonuses which are half the haku gained after missions, but still, looks like a pretty decent pick for spd users: Haku Collector / Energy+ (Accuracy) / Energy (Reduce).

Doesn't look too hot to use with a bow though...

Its 10 skills: Chance, Attack up (Lv. 1), Determination, Fortune (Stock +2), Haku Collector, Agility (Stock +2), Energy (Reduce), Ebullience, Fortune+ (Miracle), Energy+ (Accuracy).

Scher

Based off my observations, Bladewing/Frostwing growing his wings back has nothing to do with his health. It seems like he goes into his second phase after you've broken about half his feathers. After that, he seems to go back into the first phase when all his feathers are broken, and then will eventually attempt to grow them back. If you can interrupt him or kill him before he does, then you're fine. If he grows them back, then you have to go through those phase transitions again, and he will attempt to grow them back after entering his first phase again.

Again, that's what I've observed and if anyone knows better, feel free to correct me.

Edit: I'll probably experiment with this some to see if I can get a good idea of how Bladewing/Frostwing work with regards to feathers.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member

I would like some advice from all players, but especially those have beaten the game....what I am doing is when I get new weapons/armor I max them all to +9, then I move on to the next weapon/armor set. Though it does kind of hurt a little when I am levelling up one weapon, only to see another brand new wepaon of the same element that is definitely better. I forgoe switching to that new hotness, and keep on levelling the old stuff, grinding away on Oni where Istill need some aprts to buy the equipment if I need. I now am about 4 items behind on both weapons and armor...

This is how I play too except I skip the armor sets that have that ??? on it or can be upgraded, which in the case of armor, its the slayer, guard, veteran armor (I think they're just the ones that don't have any elemental defense) As for the weapons, I use the ones that whatever Oni I'm facing is weak to, because almost all the weapons I have can be upgraded, except for the .... something Manju gauntlets (with poison attribute) that can't be upgraded further.

My primary weapons are the gauntlets, with knives as secondary btw

Kensuke

What is the point of the store besides selling stuff? I've upgraded it to gold and it still sells the same items it did since the beginning of the game.

Top Bottom