• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

RalchAC

Naginata looks really cool. The game is based in Japan, ot was weird that it was not in the original game.

Reskin, or for a better and fitting word, recolor (I've yet to play the video above though so I'm not sure which) wouldn't be a problem as long as the enemy have different pattern of move sets they use, or even better, have unique signature attack beside elemental modifier that makes the fight feel wholely different. I really hope that Koei-Tecmo really address that issue if they wanted their game feel fresh over yearly release. My expectation is extremely high due to vast changed Marvelous AQL have made with SSD over vanilla SS.

I have high hopes in Omega Force. They're a really capable team, their output is just crazy. I think they'll deliver.

LMN

Reskin, or for a better and fitting word, recolor (I've yet to play the video above though so I'm not sure which) wouldn't be a problem as long as the enemy have different pattern of move sets they use, or even better, have unique signature attack beside elemental modifier that makes the fight feel wholely different. I really hope that Koei-Tecmo really address that issue if they wanted their game feel fresh over yearly release. My expectation is extremely high due to vast changed Marvelous AQL have made with SSD over vanilla SS.

Naginata's gameplay looks like a sword's with some air time and wider range... Basically, a better sword.

Still waiting for more details. I'm not sure I'd buy it for just 3 new weapons and new boss, just to kill the same bosses all over again with different mission names.

Oh who am I kidding, I will. And platinum it.

Well, from what I heard so far, the developer are really listening to the fan. So it possible that Kiwami might be a "big" expansion just like SS to SSD. There will be 2x boss, more newly designed armors and weapons, improve AI, and of cos more Mitama.

Here are some pictures (I'm hope its not against the rule)
10410524_755370704485046_1536343202581572427_n.jpg

10372518_755370721151711_8531947062037110536_n.jpg

10375102_755370717818378_1578555868245453952_n.jpg

Ogawa-san

Over 300 mitamas and 100 sets. Obviously they're including the ones in the first game but still a good deal of new ones, about 50% more. Makes me wonder where they'll put the new gear quality-wise... New ranks over 9?

And all 4 oni in that picture are new to me. New bosses other than that "berserk tenko" we've been seeing for months, now we're talking.

Scher

That new bird is difficult to be excited for. I'd be more okay with it if it entered the second phase much sooner. It's moveset looks entirely different for second phase, but that's a point at which it doesn't have much health left. Fortunately, that tenko demon is something entirely new, although it's a lot slower than I was expecting. Hopefully we'll see a lot more original demons like that.

As blurry as those pictures that LMN posted are, I am liking the look of some of those new armor sets. The mitama art is also as beautiful as it has been, which is always nice. I'm very much interested in seeing some more of the new content.

ramyeon

Those pics have me excited for this, it looks like there's a lot of new content that they haven't showed off yet. Can't wait to see some of those new Oni in action.

LMN

The Toukiden Kiwami demo is already on PSN jpn. There are four bosses to fight with two of the four are the new boss. I have yet fight the two new bosses, as I was only focusing on the new weapons. Here is my impression of the weapons.

Naginata: IMO the most spammable weapon,easiest to use, but hard to master. I personally find it to be the most fun to use. As you constantly attack (spam) the monster without receiving any damage, you will go into a special mode (normal -> orange -> red), making your attack wider and able to hit multiple part of the monster. if the monster hit you, the mode's level will decrease (e.g. red -> orange). The square+x is a defense stance that block enemy attack, so your attack wont be interrupt (consume lots of stamina and require lot of timing). the O button is basically a really fast rapid attack (similar to gauntlet O and consume lots of stamina as well). To summarize, as long as you are not hit, you are unstoppable.

Spike Club: Very slow, and require a lots of timing and has a big emphasize on charging attack, Very powerful and hard to master as well. There is also a special mode as well, but I'm still not sure what it does or how to enter it.

Gun/rifle: Try it once, similar to bows, but with different types of bullet, there is also a charge attack. IIRC
Orange bullet = shotgun
Purple bullet = not sure, but charge attack is very similar to Space Mitama's paradox attack
Green bullet = not sure as well, but feel like a piece attack

Overall I really like the new weapons, its fun to use, but also really deep as well. Now I kind of wish that they add/edit the old weapons' move-set too.

maouvin

Gun/rifle: Try it once, similar to bows, but with different types of bullet, there is also a charge attack. IIRC
Orange bullet = shotgun
Purple bullet = not sure, but charge attack is very similar to Space Mitama's paradox attack

The Koei wiki has some info on the bullets: http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Toukiden_Kiwami/Weapon_Movesets

Bullet Types

狙撃弾 - Bullet with high range and traveling speed, it inflicts the most damage when used for targeting weak spots. Cripples weak spot greatly when used together with a grenade.
貫通弾 - Pierces through multiple parts, inflicting medium damage. When used on a grenade, the ensuing explosion will only attack the weak spots of nearby foes.
散弾 - Severely damages weak spots at close-range. When used in conjunction with a grenade, it results in a powerful explosion that does more damage against enemies within close proximity of the attack.
爆発弾 - An exploding bullet that hits multiple parts, but inflicts the least amount of damage against weak spots. Creates a wide explosion when used to shoot at a grenade.
吸引弾 - Creates a vacuum effect that hampers the movements of any demon hit by this bullet. Using it with a grenade will knock back foes instead.

I didn't stop to associate the names to the colors yet, tho (just played a mission during lunch break, will get back to it soon).

LMN

The Koei wiki has some info on the bullets: http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Toukiden_Kiwami/Weapon_Movesets

I didn't stop to associate the names to the colors yet, tho (just played a mission during lunch break, will get back to it soon).

Thank maouvin, can't wait for your & other ppl impression too =P

I want this but is it comfirmed whether or not we're getting extreme in the US?

There is no announcement so far, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Shengar

The Toukiden Kiwami demo is already on PSN jpn. There are four bosses to fight with two of the four are the new boss. I have yet fight the two new bosses, as I was only focusing on the new weapons. Here is my impression of the weapons.

Naginata: IMO the most spammable weapon,easiest to use, but hard to master. I personally find it to be the most fun to use. As you constantly attack (spam) the monster without receiving any damage, you will go into a special mode (normal -> orange -> red), making your attack wider and able to hit multiple part of the monster. if the monster hit you, the mode's level will decrease (e.g. red -> orange). The square+x is a defense stance that block enemy attack, so your attack wont be interrupt (consume lots of stamina and require lot of timing). the O button is basically a really fast rapid attack (similar to gauntlet O and consume lots of stamina as well). To summarize, as long as you are not hit, you are unstoppable.

Spike Club: Very slow, and require a lots of timing and has a big emphasize on charging attack, Very powerful and hard to master as well. There is also a special mode as well, but I'm still not sure what it does or how to enter it.

Orange bullet = shotgun

Overall I really like the new weapons, its fun to use, but also really deep as well. Now I kind of wish that they add/edit the old weapons' move-set too.
Naginata sounds basically like Gauntlet but with faster, and wider attack range version. Spiked club on the other hand screams hammer to me. Gun look most interesting for me, I really want to know what "grenade" means by Maouvin's post.

Thank you for the impression. Looking forward for the new boss.

Ogawa-san

From your impressions and the videos, guns sound like bows just less oriented to setups and whatnot. I still don't get how grenades combo with your shots though.

Anyone tested the old weapons for changes yet?

I'm this close from formatting my only memory stick to try that demo...

LMN

Naginata sounds basically like Gauntlet but with faster, and wider attack range version. Spiked club on the other hand screams hammer to me. Gun look most interesting for me, I really want to know what "grenade" means by Maouvin's post.

Thank you for the impression. Looking forward for the new boss.

Just fight the big tenko and the reskin bird. The reskin bird's attacks and patterns are different enough that really give you the feeling of fighting a new boss. IMO this is a big improvement compare to the last game recolor boss. For the big tenko, I got a vibe that its somewhat similar to
Cimmerian King
during the fight. Btw, I feel the AI is a lot smarter in this one, for example, they evade the boss attack even though they are reviving my character, IIRC in the vanilla, they basically stand there and get hit.

From your impressions and the videos, guns sound like bows just less oriented to setups and whatnot. I still don't get how grenades combo with your shots though.

Anyone tested the old weapons for changes yet?

I'm this close from formatting my only memory stick to try that demo...

I try sword on the new demo and did not see any difference, so I would say there no change to it. For the gun, I can't really say much since I rarely use bow on the vanilla game. However, IIRC gun's carry three bullet types and you can switch and decide which one to use.

maouvin

Ok, just finished the first 5 missions, all with the gun since I mained bow on the vanilla.

First of all, instead of having a line representing the projectile trajectory, there's a crosshair. Dunno if it will be the same for the bow as it's not accessible on the demo (or I missed something).

After each shot your character will cock the gun again (it's not even semi-auto). Your rifle stores 8 bullets (you can mix then), and you don't need to empty it to load more. You load then with triangle, and select the bullet type with suqare and circle (you cicle through then). You can mash triangle to quick the loading, but doing so consumes stamina. Holding triangle will empty your gun.

There are 5 bullet types, and each gun comes with 3 types (you can't choose). You have access to 3 different guns on the demo, so all 5 types of bullets are accessible across those three.

The effects for each bullet are as listed on the Koei wikia, and in that order their in-game color are green, lime, blue, orange and pink.

You don't need to hold buttons to aim. Pressing square will ready your weapon. You can move and aim freely, and shoot either with square or R.
You can also aim with circle, and you character will aim on her knees. You can't move in this stance, but shooting (done with circle or R) is different depending on the equipped bullet and stamina is consumed by shot or by keeping the stance.

On your knees, your shots behave like this:

- green bullet: you can shoot without cocking the gun after each shot (now we're semi auto). Each shot will consume stamina, and it will end before you can shoot 8 bullets. I'd say the interval between each shot is on par with spamming square with the bow.

- lime bullet: your shot will start charging quickly (quickier than charging a square shot with the bow having prescience on 2 mitamas), up to three levels, and yout stamina is drained as quickly. It power ups the shot, but I didn't notice exactly what. Maybe it increases the damage, or the area the shot can damage, or maybe both. It's piercing as the normal lime shot;

- blue: charges like the green one. At level 1 it shoots a burst of fire in front of you. At level 2, the burst is bigger. At level 3, it's an explosion bigger than the first but smaller than the second, and your character will roll back;

- orange: doesn't charge, so only spends stamina on shoot. It's a regular explosive shot, but your character rolls back (like with the charge lvl 3 blue circle shot);

- pink: it will charge like the lime shot. After hitting the enemy, it'll generate at the point of impact a blue orb that does various ticks of damage. It does not move, so the enemy can walk out of it. I presume each level of charge will increase it's duration.

As for the grenades: your character throws the grenade (square+x) on an arc. You need to shoot it for it to explode. After the throw your character will immediatly enter square shooting mode on the direction of the nade, so it's a matter of timing to throw the thing and then just press square or R to shoot.

The problem is: the grenade doesn't explode on impact and will bounce - or at least change direction - if it hits an enemy. I believe that, given time, one can get used to the distance of the throw to avoind having it bouncing off onis. If all else fails, you can still shoot it while it's on the ground, and it'll explode by itself after some time.

I feel like there's no visual feedback whether the grenade damaged the enemy or not - or maybe I just missed with it every single time, who knows. It'll need some more testing, but for now I don't really feel it.

The destroyer is just like the bow - activate, aim, shoot.

And that's what I can tell and recall for now. As for LMN's impressions about the new bosses and the AI, it's how I felt too. You can also fight chtonian and manhunter, and they feel just the same as vanilla.

Naginata will be the supreme masher weapon, btw. Long range, fast, can get airbone and have a mashable circle attack like the fists (but without the timing thing). Just tried it on the tutorial, btw.

ramyeon

Ok, just finished the first 5 missions, all with the gun since I mained bow on the vanilla.

First of all, instead of having a line representing the projectile trajectory, there's a crosshair. Dunno if it will be the same for the bow as it's not accessible on the demo (or I missed something).

After each shot your character will cock the gun again (it's not even semi-auto). Your rifle stores 8 bullets (you can mix then), and you don't need to empty it to load more. You load then with triangle, and select the bullet type with suqare and circle (you cicle through then). You can mash triangle to quick the loading, but doing so consumes stamina. Holding triangle will empty your gun.

There are 5 bullet types, and each gun comes with 3 types (you can't choose). You have access to 3 different guns on the demo, so all 5 types of bullets are accessible across those three.

The effects for each bullet are as listed on the Koei wikia, and in that order their in-game color are green, lime, blue, orange and pink.

You don't need to hold buttons to aim. Pressing square will ready your weapon. You can move and aim freely, and shoot either with square or R.
You can also aim with circle, and you character will aim on her knees. You can't move in this stance, but shooting (done with circle or R) is different depending on the equipped bullet and stamina is consumed by shot or by keeping the stance.

On your knees, your shots behave like this:

- green bullet: you can shoot without cocking the gun after each shot (now we're semi auto). Each shot will consume stamina, and it will end before you can shoot 8 bullets. I'd say the interval between each shot is on par with spamming square with the bow.

- lime bullet: your shot will start charging quickly (quickier than charging a square shot with the bow having prescience on 2 mitamas), up to three levels, and yout stamina is drained as quickly. It power ups the shot, but I didn't notice exactly what. Maybe it increases the damage, or the area the shot can damage, or maybe both. It's piercing as the normal lime shot;

- blue: charges like the green one. At level 1 it shoots a burst of fire in front of you. At level 2, the burst is bigger. At level 3, it's an explosion bigger than the first but smaller than the second, and your character will roll back;

- orange: doesn't charge, so only spends stamina on shoot. It's a regular explosive shot, but your character rolls back (like with the charge lvl 3 blue circle shot);

- pink: it will charge like the lime shot. After hitting the enemy, it'll generate at the point of impact a blue orb that does various ticks of damage. It does not move, so the enemy can walk out of it. I presume each level of charge will increase it's duration.

As for the grenades: your character throws the grenade (square+x) on an arc. You need to shoot it for it to explode. After the throw your character will immediatly enter square shooting mode on the direction of the nade, so it's a matter of timing to throw the thing and then just press square or R to shoot.

The problem is: the grenade doesn't explode on impact and will bounce - or at least change direction - if it hits an enemy. I believe that, given time, one can get used to the distance of the throw to avoind having it bouncing off onis. If all else fails, you can still shoot it while it's on the ground, and it'll explode by itself after some time.

I feel like there's no visual feedback whether the grenade damaged the enemy or not - or maybe I just missed with it every single time, who knows. It'll need some more testing, but for now I don't really feel it.

The destroyer is just like the bow - activate, aim, shoot.

And that's what I can tell and recall for now. As for LMN's impressions about the new bosses and the AI, it's how I felt too. You can also fight chtonian and manhunter, and they feel just the same as vanilla.

Naginata will be the supreme masher weapon, btw. Long range, fast, can get airbone and have a mashable circle attack like the fists (but without the timing thing). Just tried it on the tutorial, btw.
Great info, it kind of sounds like it plays a lot like Bowguns in MH? If this is the case I feel like I may really like this weapon. I really enjoy using Bowguns.

ajim

I hope the new Toukiden is more difficult, but original Toukiden is the easiest monster hunting type game I've ever played.

I breeze through every monster eh.

maouvin

I hope the new Toukiden is more difficult, but original Toukiden is the easiest monster hunting type game I've ever played.

I breeze through every monster eh.

Well, Kiwami will tweak the AI behaviour for the onis and your allies, and the onis will get some new moves too (all of those changes can be seen on the demo). None of those warrants a raise on difficulty, but the fights shall be more interesting (or annoying, in some cases, lol).

Masamuna

Thanks, I realise that. But can't seem to locate a mission where there are a lot of Earthfangs so I can try and spawn a Frostfang.

Google didn't help too much because people kept referring to Online when I'm unable to play online :(

You've probably already figured it out but frost fangs can spawn in phase 2 mission 8 (or 10 I can't remember, it's a defense mission). You can rock it in single player as well.

I'm very lttp on this game but I love it so far, already sunk in 20 or so hours. I'm in chapter 5 so I'm not sure how strong of a building I can make but does anyone have any long sword suggestions? I've been using SPT/ATK so far and it's not cutting it. I've read that SPD really compliments it though.

nowai

Is anyone still playing this game?

I played the demo and thought it was a decent monhun clone, but the overly serious feudal Japan setting really put me off.

The flat, bland landscapes and settings didn't have the charm that monhun does and it didn't really hold my attention.

Having said that, I am very much craving a hunting game and am thinking of picking this up if there are still people to play with.

...Freedom Wars please.

ramyeon

Is anyone still playing this game?

I played the demo and thought it was a decent monhun clone, but the overly serious feudal Japan setting really put me off.

The flat, bland landscapes and settings didn't have the charm that monhun does and it didn't really hold my attention.

Having said that, I am very much craving a hunting game and am thinking of picking this up if there are still people to play with.

...Freedom Wars please.
From what I've heard of Freedom Wars, this is a better hunting game than that.

Haven't played Toukiden in awhile though, so I can't vouch for the online scene. It was a blast when I did play though.

LMN

Urgh I want this game but I am holding off for Toukiden Extreme to get localized, assuming it will get one and a retail one.

I suggest you should going ahead and buy the original game, assuming that Extreme will be localized, it will probably come out mid 2015, and this is being optimistic. It will be a long wait, and who knows if Extreme will get a retail or not
I hope it get one
. I still pretty bum out how KT have been pushing digital only lately with SW4 and Orochi.

Shengar

I suggest you should going ahead and buy the original game, assuming that Extreme will be localized, it will probably come out mid 2015, and this is being optimistic. It will be a long wait, and who knows if Extreme will get a retail or not
I hope it get one
. I still pretty bum out how KT have been pushing digital only lately with SW4 and Orochi.

SW4 and Orochi are different case from Toukiden since they boith released on Sony multiple platform across generation. As Toukiden performed quite nicely for a Vita exclusive, I think they'll released a physical version for the Kiwami version. I just hope that it wouldn't released head-to-head with MH4U.

LMN

SW4 and Orochi are different case from Toukiden since they boith released on Sony multiple platform across generation. As Toukiden performed quite nicely for a Vita exclusive, I think they'll released a physical version for the Kiwami version. I just hope that it wouldn't released head-to-head with MH4U.

Well I hope you right, I always prefer retail over digital, I'm just a bit skeptical cos of all digital only game coming out lately on vita. in the mean time, here another 1-hour special kiwami gameplay, featuring new boss (the neko) at around 32 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glzWspqe-0Y

LMN

lol that fight against the neko.
I'm amused at the attack where it scratches the ground to create static.

I like how they try to make her act just like a real cat, with the yawn and everything, but (well from this video) I find the boss is a bit too passive.

Shengar

Well I hope you right, I always prefer retail over digital, I'm just a bit skeptical cos of all digital only game coming out lately on vita. in the mean time, here another 1-hour special kiwami gameplay, featuring new boss (the neko) at around 32 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glzWspqe-0Y
That boss is looking good (no no no, not that way), those attacks during its (super)-enraged mode is what I expect from Toukiden bosses. I hope they revamp Cimmerian King and Dreadhalf too.
Online wasn't all that healthy the last time I played (2~3 months ago). Rarely I found an open endgame lobby. There was a bunch of new players since there was a sale on EU I believe.

I still keep the game on the memory card because I should farm some cimmerian kings, but meh.
Well It's Vita game after all, that's to be expected.

LMN

That boss is looking good (no no no, not that way), those attacks during its (super)-enraged mode is what I expect from Toukiden bosses. I hope they revamp Cimmerian King and Dreadhalf too.

I heard most of the bosses got revamp and additional attack (don't quote me on this), we'll see when this is localized ;), also one more new boss

qcGHCt.jpg

Edit: @ramyeon, cool, thank for the info =)

ramyeon

I heard most of the bosses got revamp and additional attack (don't quote me on this), we'll see when this is localized ;), also one more new boss

qcGHCt.jpg

I can post this right?
Yeah you can, it's from the Famitsu site, not a scan.

Love the look of the new bosses so far, this looks like a really substantial upgrade.

You should probably wait for Kiwami.

...Freedom Wars please.

If you're looking for a hunting game, look elsewhere. Freedom Wars is a Third Person Shooter. It feels far more like I was playing MGS5:peacewalker battles.

Shengar

qcGHCt.jpg

Edit: @ramyeon, cool, thank for the info =)
I hope those "reskins" at least having different moveset, fingers crossed!

Many of the bosses are human shaped, I guess this'll be story related.

maouvin

New official video showing list of changes to both old and new weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_NDjFzwxNM

They add a new feature to the club that allow you to walk slowing while charging, kind of wish they add that to the spear too :(

Wait, they sped up charging with the bow? It'd be all the rage.

Nice to see that we can cycle through the bullets on the rifle now. Didn't get what the little pink dots were, tho - are they the new granades? It would make life much easier.

(Can't really comment on the rest, lol)

They add a new feature to the club that allow you to walk slowing while charging
feature to the club that allow you
to the club that
the club

Aaaaand, you just made an entire weapon type uncool in one sentence.

Edit:

Wait, they sped up charging with the bow? It'd be all the rage.

Nice to see that we can cycle through the bullets on the rifle now. Didn't get what the little pink dots were, tho - are they the new granades? It would make life much easier.

(Can't really comment on the rest, lol)

Faster shooting and charging in exchange for mobility.

Also, those are JiGenDan (Time-Limited Bullets), which moves slowly and explode after a short while. These is listed as one of the new actions from awhile back. The official website still has the entry about Tekidan, so the they should be there.

IMO, TK has been fucking awesome in responding to user feedback. They're probably gonna reach a fine polish for Toukiden sooner than later.

Those new actions changes quite a lot of things IMO.

maouvin

Anyone regularly playing this? I just got it today.

Given that we're mostly talking about Kiwami's new stuff here I suppose people, like me, moved on to other things.
From what I've read on reddit and gfaqs online is poorly populated, but it's still possible to find rooms.

Mind that online and single-player progress separately (you can play the online missions offline), so if you finish the story and jump to MP you'll have to do a bunch of low level missions again to catch up.

maouvin

Kiwami launch at the beginning of the year pls. Like, January.

wanted to continue this game where I left off...
I remember clearing Chapter 5... but my last save was Chapter 4? T_T

Weird, since the game autosaves after each mission. Maybe you only cleared chapter 5 online? Or maybe something went wrong while managing the save data (ps+ upload/download and such)?

Malyse

Hello!

I've made a new community to talk about Monster Hunter/PSO styled games like Toukiden located here, and I would love it if y'all popped in.

I guess y'all are laying low till Kiwami. Are they calling it Kiwami or Extreme? I mean this is Tecmo Koei.

wilflare

Kiwami launch at the beginning of the year pls. Like, January.

Weird, since the game autosaves after each mission. Maybe you only cleared chapter 5 online? Or maybe something went wrong while managing the save data (ps+ upload/download and such)?

idk. probably something happened when I was changing from my White Vita to the Black Vita. and the save data probably never got uploaded to PS+ and hence never got transferred to my Black Vita (I think I chose to redownload everything.. idk)

or that I overwrote my data with the PS+ data that was older

Top Bottom