• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Darkone

Usually only key missions but sometimes you need to do some regular missions as well. My general rule of thumb is to do any key missions (Red names) and if new missions/chapter doesn't unlock then I do the regular missions starting from the bottom up until they do.

Thanks, i want to finish the game and start FFX tommorow.
How many chapters are there?

RalchAC

Not a lot, no. If you find a dozen lobbies up (with or without password), it's a busy day.

I blame the AI, it's competent enough so you never feel you need to go multi.

GAF is quite far in the game, and I don't really like to play this game without any way of communication, so I've been playing this thing online most of the time.

I've returned to the game now after a two weeks rest (which probably didnt' help), but even before I put it on the backlog I was always behind most online players. People just played to much and I wanted it to last me more than 10 days XD

Anyway, I'm at Phase 4 on MP (and I think I haven't done some black missions on P3 yet. If anybody is around those levels and want to have fun with me GAF ID = PSN ID. Invite me to a party chat or something when you see me online and we can do some missions.

This just came in from Gamefly yesterday and have been playing it as much as I can.

My first impression was, " YUP, this is Monster Hunter alright! ". Just with a few different weapons ( using the ball and scythe? ball and ... dagger? ) and of course the enemies are different, even though they try their best to move around just like MH monsters.

Looks fantastic though and really enjoying it so far. Enjoying the mission layout, enjoying the various Hero's you absorb and bring up some unique buffs during combat. Good stuff. I learned a really cool combo already with my weapon. Activate ...whatever it is with O and then I charge with Square, launch the ball at the enemy to attach and then get pulled in, then get 3 hits with Triangle, and I can keep launching the ball over and over again and getting 3x hits each time as long as the stamina holds up. Just unlocked the hero that gives you boosts in Stamina too so will be able to use those 2 together for max carnage. Good stuff.

As you can tell, not a pro yet and at work so not 100% sure on all the names of everything yet lol.

GAF is quite far in the game, and I don't really like to play this game without any way of communication, so I've been playing this thing online most of the time.

I've returned to the game now after a two weeks rest (which probably didnt' help), but even before I put it on the backlog I was always behind most online players. People just played to much and I wanted it to last me more than 10 days XD

Anyway, I'm at Phase 4 on MP (and I think I haven't done some black missions on P3 yet. If anybody is around those levels and want to have fun with me GAF ID = PSN ID. Invite me to a party chat or something when you see me online and we can do some missions.
You aren't alone, I'm in the same boat! I was mainly doing single player, with some solo MP hunts from time to time. I am about where you are in MP. I haven't played it in a week or so, but I still am wanting to continue to hunt. Most of ToukGaf straight BLEW through the MP, but I know there is a large amount of us around that are around similar levels. I know we are friends on PSN Ralph, if you see me on and want to play, send me a message!!
This just came in from Gamefly yesterday and have been playing it as much as I can.

My first impression was, " YUP, this is Monster Hunter alright! ". Just with a few different weapons ( using the ball and scythe? ball and ... dagger? ) and of course the enemies are different, even though they try their best to move around just like MH monsters.

Looks fantastic though and really enjoying it so far. Enjoying the mission layout, enjoying the various Hero's you absorb and bring up some unique buffs during combat. Good stuff. I learned a really cool combo already with my weapon. Activate ...whatever it is with O and then I charge with Square, launch the ball at the enemy to attach and then get pulled in, then get 3 hits with Triangle, and I can keep launching the ball over and over again and getting 3x hits each time as long as the stamina holds up. Just unlocked the hero that gives you boosts in Stamina too so will be able to use those 2 together for max carnage. Good stuff.

As you can tell, not a pro yet and at work so not 100% sure on all the names of everything yet lol.
Just you wait! Some of the Mitama (heros) you'll get will give you some great skills that will really ramp up the carnage. The OP has a link to a gdoc that has a unch of skills + Mitama listings, check it out for a great resource. Welcome fellow hunter!

Are there any tricks to finding those invisible enemies ?

I've got a lot of mitama to collect from invisible floating skulls in chapter 4/5 but i only found 1 of them so far.

Ogawa-san

According to wikis, there are a few conditions where they can spawn. Every 5min, when the boss reaches a certain health threshold or dies, etc. Or they can just be there from the start.

At first I'd do the usual method to find them: join a mission, wait 5min in the initial area to give them two opportunities to spawn, and then look around. But after a while just going after them asap ended up being faster; in the time I'd spend waiting around I could try that mission three times.

Also, where you find one you can find both, they just won't spawn at the same time. And it's always going to be on the same location, for example in P3-1 they'll always spawn in area 8, so you don't have to go around the entire map looking for them.

Shengar

I've missing 1 materials on some map. Namely deep blue ore or heavenly fiber. I kept sending my Tenko there but no luck. Are they only obtainable from pick up?

I need to farm for Hattori Hanzo. I've beaten the level (phase 8-something, Hell's Warden + Nightblade) 4 times already and no dice. It's incredibly boring to do it alone!

Anyone up for some mp?

Well, I finally sat down on Friday and started playing this. Think I was addicted before the end of Chapter 1. I don't think I like it quite as much as Soul Sacrifice, because that game had atmosphere, but I'm really enjoying it. Is Toukiden like MH or not? I was unsure since I never actually played a MH game and I heard around here that SS was quite different. Anyway, just hit Chapter 5. Will see if I can get through that before the weekend is out :)

Shengar

I need to farm for Hattori Hanzo. I've beaten the level (phase 8-something, Hell's Warden + Nightblade) 4 times already and no dice. It's incredibly boring to do it alone!

Anyone up for some mp?
Sorry I couldn't joined even if I wanted to because I don't have my modem with me this morning :(
Well, I finally sat down on Friday and started playing this. Think I was addicted before the end of Chapter 1. I don't think I like it quite as much as Soul Sacrifice, because that game had atmosphere, but I'm really enjoying it. Is Toukiden like MH or not? I was unsure since I never actually played a MH game and I heard around here that SS was quite different. Anyway, just hit Chapter 5. Will see if I can get through that before the weekend is out :)

The only similaritiy between SS and MH is that both of them have four players ganging up a big ass monsters. Everything else is entirely different. Meanwhile, Toukiden is much more similar to MH especially on how the weapon works, but all moves at faster pace. Then it split again where Toukiden entirely focused on directly combating the monsters with mitama fused weapon while MH you need to utilized trap, grenade, and other hunting tool.

The only similaritiy between SS and MH is that both of them have four players ganging up a big ass monsters. Everything else is entirely different. Meanwhile, Toukiden is much more similar to MH especially on how the weapon works, but all moves at faster pace. Then it split again where Toukiden entirely focused on directly combating the monsters with mitama fused weapon while MH you need to utilized trap, grenade, and other hunting tool.

Ah, thanks! That clears things up. I really like the speed of both SS and Toukiden, though I confess I found Toukiden kinda slow at the start so I dread to think what MH would be like =/

Ah, thanks! That clears things up. I really like the speed of both SS and Toukiden, though I confess I found Toukiden kinda slow at the start so I dread to think what MH would be like =/

It is quite tactical, and you have to think ahead and plan your moves. Extremely satisfying when you hit a monster. Don't judge based on speed: are you on plus? MH Freedom Unite is gonna be free. Give it a try.

Shengar

It is quite tactical, and you have to think ahead and plan your moves. Extremely satisfying when you hit a monster. Don't judge based on speed: are you on plus? MH Freedom Unite is gonna be free. Give it a try.

Or you can use DS/LS which is the perfect weapon for someone who get into the genre from SS, then Toukiden, if they want to go next to MH. Just keep your expectation in check so you can adjust yourself accordingly.

I am on Plus, but in the UK. Which Plus is getting it? Might have to give it a go.

Though I still have to go back and Platinum SS (have to finish all the multiplayer pacts, I think I was on Pact 8…), so it might be a while.

What's a good mitama set-up for dual knives for the point I am (start of Chapter 5?). I tend to have Attack Mitama because I fount killing things took way too long otherwise, but I was wondering if that was the best setup to go with.

Shengar

I am on Plus, but in the UK. Which Plus is getting it? Might have to give it a go.

Though I still have to go back and Platinum SS (have to finish all the multiplayer pacts, I think I was on Pact 8…), so it might be a while.

What's a good mitama set-up for dual knives for the point I am (start of Chapter 5?). I tend to have Attack Mitama because I fount killing things took way too long otherwise, but I was wondering if that was the best setup to go with.

It's for US PS+ subscriber. Maybe EU will get it for April, but don't count on it too much. I forgot to tell you how MH is the worst on telling the basics of the game for newcomer. Toukiden have weapon tutorial that gives you clear picture of what you should expect form each weapons, while MH doesn't.

Well, mitama setup is depends on your playstyle, and especially for Dual Knives user, which boss you up against. I use DCT style at first for the stupor and needle but after got so many hit while up in the air, which sometimes can be particularly nasty againstn Pteryx bosses that uses upwardn spiral attack alot, I switch to SPD. The Agility grant a nice protection from one instance damage which very useful if you use aerial attack a lot. As for the setup, since I'm mainly using weapons with high Precision rate, I use mitama that improves the useability of Precision attack like Swordmanship, and Devastation.

US; don't know about Europe.

--

I used SPT for most of the game, but lately I'm fond of SPC. Warp is great to get out of hairy situations and I can just leave a sanctuary purifying stuff and keep pounding an Oni.

Not a big fan of ATK because I want to hit as much as possible while using the skills, and I end up getting hit a lot. I've seen many people using SPD quite well.

I'm from Brazil, so lag might be an issue, but I could help you online, if you want =]

Ogawa-san

New DLC this week, packs 6 and 7 with new armor sets.
syXNi97.png

Q7y3VPJ.png
Probably terrible stats but they look so nice... I'm tempted.

maouvin

$2 each DLC? Outrageous!

Have you checked the Tatara page on the Koei wiki for the stats? It's probably there. I can't open it on work to check :/

edit: the Soul Sacrifice costume is up too (for free).

Scher

That one armor set with what looks like fox ears looks terrible. I seriously cannot get over how awful it is. Why can't they make some cute looking armor sets? I guess it's nice that they're at least getting most of the DLC out here, now.

Shengar

Tecmo-Koei needs to crank up the quality of their post-release DLC. Take cue from Soul Sacrifice, please. Not crap like this that you usually do to Dynasty Warriors.

I'm still playing it but it really takes insane amount of time. I got like 65 hours and i'm only finishing chapter 7 of single and phase 6 of multi.

Still long way from finishing each mission once which is my plan minimum (after that i'll reevaluate how much more is needed for platinium).

maouvin

Most of us probably got eaten by onis, aye.

I'm still playing, trying to finally find an abyssal fiend to start farming and then change my armor - been using Yin armor for ages, but everything else I can craft/upgrade is of the same rank, so no reason to spend cash on them. But gotta admit that my daily sessions became weekly.

RalchAC

I'm at 50 hours. But after finishing the story I don't really play the game that much. Maybe 1 hour today, another one in two days. Battles are longer as you advance and sometimes you have to fight 2 bosses at the same time so I get tired after 1 or 2 missions.

I'll play more, but in really short bursts. I think those 33€ were well spent.

crinale

I admire some of you guys for Platinuming this gem, because I couldn't find time to do that.
When I was younger I could put into more than 800 hours into MHFU, but now I'm too old to do so...

Now I'm waiting for some good news about Toukiden Ultimate.

i'm at 60-70 hours and kinda burned out. i will never get the plat, that's why i'll probably stop playing soon. there is not enough content to keep playing 200 hours imo.

Shengar

250h-ish.
That's uh.... about 0.16$ perhour right?
i'm at 60-70 hours and kinda burned out. i will never get the plat, that's why i'll probably stop playing soon. there is not enough content to keep playing 200 hours imo.

I'm 100 hours in and kinda burned out too. I want to try out different weapon but I'm just too lazy to research the fitting mitama for it. Also agreed that the game still lack of content here, especially for the multiplayer one. Shitty DLC didn't help at all too, which I hope Tecmo-Koei learned to have better post-launch support since it's very essential for a hunting action game.

Scher

I feel the same way as Shengar. Hopefully it's all new demons and stuff. If it's just a bunch of new subspecies, that wouldn't be so great unless they substantially change the move sets. Does that Famitsu link go into more detail about it?

raven777

I feel the same way as Shengar. Hopefully it's all new demons and stuff. If it's just a bunch of new subspecies, that wouldn't be so great unless they substantially change the move sets. Does that Famitsu link go into more detail about it?

-the story is 3 month after Toukiden
-new onis, items, mitamas
-new npc with a new weapon
-the new story is about the same length as the original
-lots of new equipment and mitamas
-new special move
-the development is about 50%
-release date is 2014

ZeroAKA

-the story is 3 month after Toukiden
-new onis, items, mitamas
-new npc with a new weapon
-the new story is about the same length as the original
-lots of new equipment and mitamas
-new special move
-the development is about 50%
-release date is 2014
The new version still includes the original story, right? If so, that's a lot of content.

Top Bottom