• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Scher

Looks like new weapons include pole-arms and "ranged" weapon.
I'm wondering what the ranged weapon would be.

Don't we already have spears, though? Isn't that essentially a polearm?

Also, I hope that the new firearm is similar to bowguns from MH. That would definitely get me to experiment with something new, although I'd probably just stick with gauntlets in the end. I generally don't like to change things up a whole lot.

ramyeon

Sounds almost like a sequel to Toukiden at least story wise, and an expansion only in so far as game mechanics are concerned. Promising! I hope save data can be transferred, and that the wait for localisation isn't as long :(

Don't we already have spears, though? Isn't that essentially a polearm?

Also, I hope that the new firearm is similar to bowguns from MH. That would definitely get me to experiment with something new, although I'd probably just stick with gauntlets in the end. I generally don't like to change things up a whole lot.

Spears are spears and polearms are stuff like halberds etc. very different in how you use them.

In-game mechanics for them might be similar to long swords.

As for guns I'd expect classic looking gunpowder weapons since we already have some mitamas from proper for the them period.

Scher

Spears are spears and polearms are stuff like halberds etc. very different in how you use them.

In-game mechanics for them might be similar to long swords.

As for guns I'd expect classic looking gunpowder weapons since we already have some mitamas from proper for the them period.

I guess I'm a bit unsure about what the distinction between a spear and a polearm is, then. When I looked it up, spears seemed to be mostly categorized as a polearm, unless I'm misunderstanding what I'm reading. Out of curiosity, what is different about how they are used? What is the distinction between them?

Shengar

I guess I'm a bit unsure about what the distinction between a spear and a polearm is, then. When I looked it up, spears seemed to be mostly categorized as a polearm, unless I'm misunderstanding what I'm reading. Out of curiosity, what is different about how they are used? What is the distinction between them?

The distinction is that on how you use them. At least in real life, most spears used to inflict "piercing" damage like you see on Toukiden's Spear square attack, you use spear to stab enemy. Meanwhile, halberd or naginata functioned more like blade but with longer range because you use them to swipe not stab like spear did. By this, I presume Naginata will be like Katana but with longer range and if they haven't do it already, they will make sepear triangle attack do impact damage to make it more distinct from naginata/halberd.

maouvin

Is there ANY tier 7 armor that can be crafted before phases 8/9? Everything seems to require parts for Abyssal Fiend or Cimmerian EX.

Scher

Is there ANY tier 7 armor that can be crafted before phases 8/9? Everything seems to require parts for Abyssal Fiend or Cimmerian EX.

Tier 7 should pretty much all require Abyssal fiend, tier 8 should require Cimmerian EX, and the tier 9 armor should require Amaranthine King.

Arle Nadja

Neo Member
Here's hoping the musket / gun will be more mobile than the bow. It would be cool to have something similar to Bastion's blunderbuss, where you kite around and fire in a spread.

maouvin

Here's hoping the musket / gun will be more mobile than the bow. It would be cool to have something similar to Bastion's blunderbuss, where you kite around and fire in a spread.

Well, about firearms...

Coz we might not be getting firearms.

The term seen in flying get info is 飛び道具.

This can include anything from stones being thrown, to shuriken, to bows(crossbows).

In a broader sense, firearms (aka guns) can be considered as such. However, in games, guns are categorized as guns. And similarly, bows are categorized as bows.

There's always hope, of course.

cyborg009

Banned
new stuff
fLiwY2p.jpg

Rkysozh.jpg

Arle Nadja

Neo Member
Bu-but I'm hoping for Nijima Yae mitama-fused musket weapon D:

Spirit bullets!

I don't really see how any other ranged weapon could fit in, unless they give us a huge shuriken or something. Maybe crossbows, I guess, but the Japanese were never big on crossbows as far as I know.

maouvin

I finally ditched SPT and am now running an ATK build abusing the Charge glitch (it's a glitch, right?) with the bow. Things are being downed considerably faster (even trash mobs, thankfully), so now I can do two hunts per day! And that's with me forgetting to use Might, but I'll eventually learn it.

The change in playstyle really got me into the game again.

maouvin

Glitch?
What Glitch about bow?

It's about the Charge mitama ability, actually. Seems to work with any weapon.

It turns all attacks done while running into criticals, so you can run and then hold square to stop moving and start aiming. If you don't move after the aim begins, the shot will be a critical, because when you started it you were running. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the idea behind Charge.
I usually run a little to adjust aiming, or do a little 360 spin running then aim. Took some time to adapt, since I liked moving while aiming, but now I can pull it off easily.

Then with a mitama with the ability to regen focus on crits, I can curse and charge shots all day.

edit: also, it doesn't work on homing arrows.

Li Kao

New Toukiden player here.
So the game is good and the plot while not sensational by any means is pretty interesting. And I never saw so much palette swapping since the 16-bits beat'em all frenzy. Stunning.
But on another note. I just slew my second Viper Queen, am I right in thinking that as the shell regrow no matter what you do, the prime target should be the snakes ? But they pack quite a punch, the bastards. ( '°_°)

Li Kao

yup. you can purify it to prevent that.

So each time she regenerates her shell I must take it down and purify it ?
And if I understood the combat mechanics correctly all this won't affect her real health at all. To really hurt her I must cut her other parts, hurt them, re-cut them in the case of the snakes, and re-hurt them. And take advantage of the few dozens of seconds she is shell-less.
Humm, good times ahead. And to think I just saw that an evolved version of that monstrosity exists, oh god.

Scher

So each time she regenerates her shell I must take it down and purify it ?
And if I understood the combat mechanics correctly all this won't affect her real health at all. To really hurt her I must cut her other parts, hurt them, re-cut them in the case of the snakes, and re-hurt them. And take advantage of the few dozens of seconds she is shell-less.
Humm, good times ahead. And to think I just saw that an evolved version of that monstrosity exists, oh god.

You don't actually take down the shell yourself. That's something she does herself after she has lost so many parts. There's no reason for you to hit her shell, but just like what was mentioned, it is important to purify the shell each time she throws it off, because it will explode when she stops being enraged.

Shengar

The Queen exploding shell is very nasty. It can one shotted you in later phase even when you have 3/4 HP, so purifying the shell is top priority when she enraged. You also need to remember that her dissected limbs will instantly grows back the moment she reverts to normal state so purify those as well and try not break any limbs when the rage state have been going for a while unless you playing with other people.

On an unrelated matter, sometimes ago just done the phase 10 Demons on Ice mission and it was quite brutal near the end. Mostly because I just realized that there isn't any shrine when I'm using my healing skill quite recklessly. Good thing that I'm using Dual Knives that time. Being SPT user will be more brutal as you have to distribute those skills to 4 demons. KT should design more missions like this to make HLG and LCK more appealing.

Abylim

Been away from Toukiden for awhile, see theres a ton of DLC. Is any of it worth it for someone who beat the game and is upto phase 8 or 9 (cant recall)?

I'm an ATK Focused spear user, any armor or weapons in the DLC that are amazing?

Its like, $1.95-2.95 for a single mission, dont really feel like spending $25-30 on random shit.

You don't actually take down the shell yourself. That's something she does herself after she has lost so many parts. There's no reason for you to hit her shell, but just like what was mentioned, it is important to purify the shell each time she throws it off, because it will explode when she stops being enraged.

Speaking about queen - does purifying the little tail part do anything ?

Shengar

Been away from Toukiden for awhile, see theres a ton of DLC. Is any of it worth it for someone who beat the game and is upto phase 8 or 9 (cant recall)?

I'm an ATK Focused spear user, any armor or weapons in the DLC that are amazing?

Its like, $1.95-2.95 for a single mission, dont really feel like spending $25-30 on random shit.
I heard the DLC is shit, so its better to save your money instead.
Speaking about queen - does purifying the little tail part do anything ?
"Minor" parts are destroyed when you dissected them, so no need for purifying.

Was doing some co-op and some high geared people join my game. One opted to do the Dogs of War dlc. It was just me and her, the rest left when they saw what it was. I hesitated, but she spammed messages that its ok. Alright. She was a healing bow wielder. Got Izanagi Mitami from Cerberus. No idea how good it is, but can't even forged any Chthonian weapons due to the lack of materials. She has two ghost defense gauntlet and sword user data and did all the work. It was a really long mission.
Any way I can message her and say thanks for the help?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Was doing some co-op and some high geared people join my game. One opted to do the Dogs of War dlc. It was just me and her, the rest left when they saw what it was. I hesitated, but she spammed messages that its ok. Alright. She was a healing bow wielder. Got Izanagi Mitami from Cerberus. No idea how good it is, but can't even forged any Chthonian weapons due to the lack of materials. She has two ghost defense gauntlet and sword user data and did all the work. It was a really long mission.
Any way I can message her and say thanks for the help?

Check your data for her player name for her PSN name and send message through it.

test_account

XP-39C²
I've been playing this game for a while lately, but the online part is one of the most buggiest game i've played online. I mean, it feels like 50% of the time (if not more) when i try to play online with others, one or several players will disconnect. The game itself isnt buggy, but that disconnect stuff happends so often to me. I wonder why they havnt looked more into this problem. The game itself is pretty cool online when it works.

EDIT: Right now i tried to play with two other people. That worked fine, and in the next round, suddently one of the players get "A player has left" (or something like that) after the mission has started. Makes little sense to why it would work, then 10 minutes later, it wont work.

Shengar

Yeah, I head that Dynasty Warriors 8 ridden with network problems too. I hope KT will hire decent netcoder for their next game, especially multiplayer incentives game such as this.

maouvin

I (almost) never got to play with fellow gaffers, because one or two of us always dropped out and then everyone would give up playing at all :D
Had better luck with randoms, but hardly played online to avoid getting pissed at the random disconnections.

Luckily, the AI is decent enough to get to phase 10.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, I head that Dynasty Warriors 8 ridden with network problems too. I hope KT will hire decent netcoder for their next game, especially multiplayer incentives game such as this.
Same here, they should really invest more time trying to make the online more stable.

I (almost) never got to play with fellow gaffers, because one or two of us always dropped out and then everyone would give up playing at all :D
Had better luck with randoms, but hardly played online to avoid getting pissed at the random disconnections.

Luckily, the AI is decent enough to get to phase 10.
I've been able to beat all the online levels, so luckily the online part have worked enough for me to finish all levels :) I'm just missing 3 solo mission offline to have completed every level. But its a pity when the disconnects happends, especially if you have made an offering to the offering box. That is just wasting money/haku if people get disconnected, or rather, seperated from the others. I think that the levels will load for everyone even if you get disconnected. But unless you want to play the level with fewer player, or sometimes even alone (depends on how many that gets disconnected), the only option is basically to quit the level and try online multiplayer again, hoping that it will work.

But i think i'm almost done with the game. I was trying to go for certain trophies, but i learned today that the 300 boosts trophy are activating 300 unique boosts, not 300 boosts in total. I checked my stats and i have only activated like 145 boosts. I'm probabably missing 80+ Miamatas as well, so the platinum trophy is too far out of reach for me. A guy on my friends list actually got the platinum trophy some days ago. While its not really difficult in terms of skills to get it, i'm still impressed that he managed to get it. It can take a lot of grinding to get this platinum trophy.

Ogawa-san

Getting 300+ boosts is doable with the mitamas you have right now, just take a bit of time and patience.

Equip 3 mitamas and level them through Shikimi, 3 levels at time replacing 3 skills that will count as equipped and add to the counter. Get those mitamas to lv10, rinse, repeat. Sell weapons/equipment so you can afford the leveling cost, it doesn't matter since you'll reload your save once you get the trophy.

test_account

XP-39C²
Getting 300+ boosts is doable with the mitamas you have right now, just take a bit of time and patience.

Equip 3 mitamas and level them through Shikimi, 3 levels at time replacing 3 skills that will count as equipped and add to the counter. Get those mitamas to lv10, rinse, repeat. Sell weapons/equipment so you can afford the leveling cost, it doesn't matter since you'll reload your save once you get the trophy.
Yeah, that is true. The time issue is the worse thing for me unfortunately. I dont think i have the patience to do that much grinding when i know that i'm missing that much. But i will see. Thanks for the tip, by the way :)

Scher

Can't link right now, but according to siliconera famitsu reported three new weapons for Toukiden Extreme: naginata, spiked club and a firearm. So this last one must the real deal (some thought of a mistranslation when it was first announced) and we can all be happy again!

Here's a link to the Siliconera article. Also, here is the preview that was provided by Famitsu and linked in another one of the threads:

Cloudy

Banned
Played the demo for this tonight and the story and characters seem way more developed than you'd expect for this genre.

Music and art are great too. I'll probably buy this

ajim

Hey all, where can I find some Elastic Bands? I know they're from those blue snakey things that spawn rarely, but which missions can I find them? I'm up to chapter 4 playing offline, not online. Which missions can I go to find them?

Cheers.

Ogawa-san

Rare enemies generally spawn once you kill regular ones and re-enter the area. It's been a while so can't remember exactly where, but it'll be from a mission about killing Earthfangs. Kill all Earthfangs in an area, leave and re-enter, one of them could respawn as a Frostfang instead.

Also, the areas they spawn are fixed, so once you find one you won't need to go through the entire zone looking for them next time.

ajim

Thanks, I realise that. But can't seem to locate a mission where there are a lot of Earthfangs so I can try and spawn a Frostfang.

Google didn't help too much because people kept referring to Online when I'm unable to play online :(

Scher

Thanks, I realise that. But can't seem to locate a mission where there are a lot of Earthfangs so I can try and spawn a Frostfang.

Google didn't help too much because people kept referring to Online when I'm unable to play online :(

When they're referring to online with regards to missions, they're probably just talking about multiplayer missions. You don't actually need an internet connection to do multiplayer missions, though. If you go to the big blue stone thing in your home, you can create a singleplayer room for multiplayer missions and then bring the NPCs with you.

Ogawa-san

Naginata's gameplay looks like a sword's with some air time and wider range... Basically, a better sword.

Still waiting for more details. I'm not sure I'd buy it for just 3 new weapons and new boss, just to kill the same bosses all over again with different mission names.

Oh who am I kidding, I will. And platinum it.

Shengar

Reskin, or for a better and fitting word, recolor (I've yet to play the video above though so I'm not sure which) wouldn't be a problem as long as the enemy have different pattern of move sets they use, or even better, have unique signature attack beside elemental modifier that makes the fight feel wholely different. I really hope that Koei-Tecmo really address that issue if they wanted their game feel fresh over yearly release. My expectation is extremely high due to vast changed Marvelous AQL have made with SSD over vanilla SS.

Puru

That reskin looks ok, seems to have some moves removed and a few new moves or noticeable variant, and when it go in phase 2 it is just not the same.

Still kinda disappointing but we shall see.

Top Bottom