• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trader Joe's Salted Valencia Peanut Butter Recalled Nationwide (Salmonella risk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since I've picked up some peanut butter from TJ's (I'm still going through a container of Peanut Butter Co.'s White Chocolate Peanut Butter) but sucks for those that got sick from this.

As far as TJ's goes, especially price wise, they're much cheaper than Safeway and at times Target as well. I usually get the bulk of my food from TJ's and if it's dry goods, then I'll go to Target if they're lacking it at TJ's. Safeway is good for a few things especially when you need them late at night.

I'd never do my regular shopping there, since the meat is more expensive and not nearly as good as what I can get at my local market. Their bakery goods are pretty subpar as well. Instead, I like them for things like their little snack foods and frozen meals.

bro1

Banned
I'd never do my regular shopping there, since the meat is more expensive and not nearly as good as what I can get at my local market. Their bakery goods are pretty subpar as well. Instead, I like them for things like their little snack foods and frozen meals.

don't forget the cheese, beer, wine, coffee, and cookies. mmmm...cookies.

I actually lost a ton of weight when I moved away from an area that didn't have TJs.

I find their baked goods to be really salty.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Oof, glad I saw this. I've got a pantry full of this stuff.. Their organic PB is cheaper than regular/non-organic PB at any local chain around here, even Costco and Sam's club. Really tasty too.

you can be super nice and helpful and still be pretentious. They have handwritten price tags, which certainly adds to the air of pretension. they present themselves with a veneer of a small time grocery when they are a chain. They charge way more than other chain grocery stores for the same goods, even organic and gourmet good. They are presenting themselves under the pretense of a local farmer's market, additionally.

Still, if you want to shop there and like shopping there more power to you. My SO really likes the organic blue corn tortilla chips from TJ's.

How are farmer's markets and handwritten price tags pretentious?

Also, there are going to be certain areas of the country where you can get stuff cheaper elsewhere, but I'm guessing there are an equal number of areas where TJs will be the cheapest option. You can't just say that as a whole, TJ's charges "way more" than anywhere else. It's just not true. Also, are you sure you're comparing comparable foods? Just picking up any two cartons of eggs and comparing the prices isn't exactly fair if one is organic and free-range and the other is neither.

I love TJs. Wouldn't know what to do without them.

The best thing is there are very few (if any) products in the store with high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors or colors, trans fats, or preservatives. Even the non-organic stuff is better for you than the Safeway equivalent.

Pretty much anything you buy there will be as healthy as you can hope for unless you grow your own food. I know that's also true of whole foods, but the prices are way cheaper.

Their frozen foods are amazing. We've made some for guests who thought we had gotten take out from restaurants. No joke.

I'll admit the produce is a bit hit and miss, but it's decent. Cheese/wine/beer/nuts are all excellent.

Not everything is awesome, but the majority of items are. I recently came across this website that does a good job reviewing their stuff.

Paste of the gods.

51vgQpGKSyL._SL500_.jpg

duderon

rollin' in the gutter

I buy this shit out when they get it in stock. Amazing.

For packaged foods TJ's has great bang for your buck. It's my main grocery store and I can't see ever not going there for food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom