• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trader Joe's Salted Valencia Peanut Butter Recalled Nationwide (Salmonella risk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

The only thing expensive at trader joes is their meat. Everything else is dirt cheap and their frozen food is fantastic and most of it is quality.

marrec

Banned
I'm convinced you've never even seen a Trader Joe's.

Been in plenty, and they offer overpriced goods. As far as pretentious, that's a subjective thing. I see it as pretentious but I'm not going to hold it against anyone if they don't.

As a counterpoint. Here in Pittsburgh it's FAR cheaper to shop at Giant Eagle then Trader Joe's and the quality is much better at Giant Eagle. This may be different elsewhere, but in Western PA that's the simple truth.

Yeah what are you talking about? I eat plenty of sea food from the Gulf, in fact probably 75% of the seafood we get here in Texas is from the Gulf.

So you've never heard of 'cancer alley'? That whole area is fucked due to major industrial activity, oil spills, etc.

Anyway, on topic, I am gonna call my bro and tell him to throw out his TJ's peanut butter before my niece gets sick :/

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
very few things at my local trader joes are cheaper than safeway. Milk is one item that's cheaper.

If you find whole foods pretentious, not sure why trader joes wouldn't be as well.

Speaking of TJ, has anyone else tried this?

6456065923_7a5006fe5e.jpg

Sweet baby jesus it's amazing.

soogood.gif

this stuff is dangerous. i would just dip king's hawaiian sweet rolls directly into the jar lol

Mordeccai

There's one opening in Miami next year and in Gainesville at the end of this year.

What.

Live in Gainesville. Going to buy some of this magical looking cookie butter for myself as a Christmas present.

Edit: fuck it Amazon here I come must try this stuff now.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I've never even seen a Trader Joe's in person. All I've heard is mythical tales from the internet about how glorious it is.
It's ok. You're basically buying the same shit you'd get anywhere else, but for slightly higher or lower prices (depends on what you're looking for) and in smaller packages. Sometimes the quality is a little higher or you can get some different ingredients than you'd get at a real megastore like Kroger or Safeway.

It's not as snooty as Whole Foods, but it's kind of the In and Out of the grocery world. The people that really like it and chat it up all the time are the people who have only been there once while on a trip to another state.

I like their coffee, but the other stuff I'm kinda eh on. The only time I ever really look for something "special" is when I'm looking for halal stuff, and they have about the same selection on that than I can find at my nearby HEB, so I end up going to a Middle Eastern/West Asian market anyway.

I also like their Cheerios.

mooooose

Trader joes is the same price or cheaper for most things... It's only pretentious because it puts organic on half it's shit.

Arde5643

It's ok. You're basically buying the same shit you'd get anywhere else, but for slightly higher or lower prices (depends on what you're looking for) and in smaller packages. Sometimes the quality is a little higher or you can get some different ingredients than you'd get at a real megastore like Kroger or Safeway.

It's not as snooty as Whole Foods, but it's kind of the In and Out of the grocery world. The people that really like it and chat it up all the time are the people who have only been there once while on a trip to another state.

I like their coffee, but the other stuff I'm kinda eh on. The only time I ever really look for something "special" is when I'm looking for halal stuff, and they have about the same selection on that than I can find at my nearby HEB, so I end up going to a Middle Eastern/West Asian market anyway.

I also like their Cheerios.

Only few cities have a grocery as great as HEB - sniff. Probably one of the things I miss the most when I left San Antonio. Ralph's is so bad in LA.

omg... i have a jar of that peanut butter :( I just bought it like 3 weeks ago... i've eaten like 1/4 of it :|

The onset of Salmonella is pretty quick after eating contaminated food. At least it was the last two times I got it. Just to be safe I'd toss the rest of the jar but if you haven't gotten sick by now you won't get sick.

Gaborn

The onset of Salmonella is pretty quick after eating contaminated food. At least it was the last two times I got it. Just to be safe I'd toss the rest of the jar but if you haven't gotten sick by now you won't get sick.

No.

The product was sold in 16-ounce plastic jars. All product code dates are included in the recall. People who have purchased the peanut butter may return the product for a full refund.

megamerican

I actually have the Valencia peanut butter mentioned in the recall. I only ate it once and I did have flu like symptoms for a couple of days. I had attributed to a antibiotic I was on though.

hmmmmm.

bro1

Banned
had to call my son's school this morning and have him throw out his sandwich. Now I have a pissed off 5 year old who wants his PB&J.

Rootbeer

Banned
Gonna keep my jar in the fridge till I go to refund it :| And... must resist eating more of it.

I was eating trader joes peanut butter cups as I read this thread. i seem to have a stealth peanut butter obsession that I didn't really notice until just now.

BTW, trader joes is awesome and not very exspensive at all. Expensive compared to what? Aldi?

marrec

Banned
The place is supposed to be pretty environmentally friendly and its products grown in environments that wouldn't lead to something like a salmonella outbreak.

Salmonella naturally occurs in most produce before some kind of sterilization process. It's actually more likely that a 'natural' grocer would have an outbreak like this since they eschew normal radioactive sterilization processes and their like.

Eidan

Salmonella naturally occurs in most produce before some kind of sterilization process. It's actually more likely that a 'natural' grocer would have an outbreak like this since they eschew normal radioactive sterilization processes and their like.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Hambone

I've been shopping almost exclusively at Trader Joe's since the mid-nineties, and anyone who says it's pretentious, is just plain wrong. Have you ever been into a Trader Joe's? Their manager's wear frickin' Hawaiian shirts for crying-out-loud.

I will lament that I miss their "old days" when cold beer and cheese took up more refrigerated shelf space than other product. They carried all sorts of awesome beers, not to mention a plethora of their own private label craft beers. Now you'd be luck to find any cold beer at all.

bro1

Banned
I've been shopping almost exclusively at Trader Joe's since the mid-nineties, and anyone who says it's pretentious, is just plain wrong. Have you ever been into a Trader Joe's? Their manager's wear frickin' Hawaiian shirts for crying-out-loud.

I will lament that I miss their "old days" when cold beer and cheese took up more refrigerated shelf space than other product. They carried all sorts of awesome beers, not to mention a plethora of their own private label craft beers. Now you'd be luck to find any cold beer at all.

awesome store and awesome company. My step sister works there and her benefits are great and her pay is decent for the work.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It really is the best grocery chain in America. I just wish we had them here in Florida.

Gainesville is apparently getting one.

megamerican said:
I actually have the Valencia peanut butter mentioned in the recall. I only ate it once and I did have flu like symptoms for a couple of days. I had attributed to a antibiotic I was on though.

hmmmmm.

You are already dead.jpg.dll.exe.7z.rar

Risible

You have Trader Joe's confused with Whole Foods.

DING DING DING.

Trader Joe's is FAR from overpriced. In fact, it's the only place on earth where one can find gluten-free pasta that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Most places want $5 for a half pound box of sphagetti - Trader Joe's has a huge-ass bag of gluten free ziti for only two bucks.

It's a real godsend for celiac sufferers.

DING DING DING.

Trader Joe's is FAR from overpriced. In fact, it's the only place on earth where one can find gluten-free pasta that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Most places want $5 for a half pound box of sphagetti - Trader Joe's has a huge-ass bag of gluten free ziti for only two bucks.

It's a real godsend for celiac sufferers.

Whether or not they have good prices for gluten free spaghetti, i don't know. BUT they are very overpriced, (for their normal goods) and super pretentious.

I did get a 12 pack of natural sponges there for a good-ish price...so....

bro1

Banned
Whether or not they have good prices for gluten free spaghetti, i don't know. BUT they are very overpriced, (for their normal goods) and super pretentious.

I did get a 12 pack of natural sponges there for a good-ish price...so....

I don't think you understand what pretentious means. Just because a food is considered gourmet or organic, does not make it pretentious. Everybody at the ones I have been too have been super nice and helpful.

Also, not sure where you are shopping that you can get cheaper food for the quality.

Ever since I heard on NeoGAF that their hummus is amazing, I've wanted to go to Trader Joe's to buy some. However, there's like only one in NYC and it's in Union Square, a place I never go to. Now I want that cookie butter...

Sucks to hear about the peanut butter, though.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I don't think you understand what pretentious means. Just because a food is considered gourmet or organic, does not make it pretentious. Everybody at the ones I have been too have been super nice and helpful.

Also, not sure where you are shopping that you can get cheaper food for the quality.

wearing casual clothing doesn't prevent them from being pretentious about their products. Like others have said, it's subjective, and probably varies from store to store.

and it probably depends on the region, but in northern va, shopper's and safeway are both cheaper than trader joes for most groceries. Milk by the gallon is always cheaper at TJ though.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
BTW, trader joes is awesome and not very exspensive at all. Expensive compared to what? Aldi?
It really depends on what you're looking for and in what amounts. What I don't see in Trader Joes are the gigantor sizes you could see at a Fiesta, Safeway (Randall's here), HEB, or Kroger. That's ok, though... they also don't have the same shelf space. If you compare on volume, you will pay a little more at TJs, but it's ultimately a wash because you're also not wasting as much. Unless you have a lot of people in your house, you're not going to go through a "I can fit my whole head in it" box of cereal at a pace where you'd really notice anyway.

However, there are some slight gains in comparison when you look at organic foods. They keep it stocked, so you're not paying the same shelf premium you would at the bigger grocers.

awesome store and awesome company. My step sister works there and her benefits are great and her pay is decent for the work.
This is a good thing and it's worth mentioning that they take care of their people. It doesn't seem like much, but I'm honestly fine with paying a little more if I know it's going to the employee rather than going to some jackass several states away.

you can be super nice and helpful and still be pretentious. They have handwritten price tags, which certainly adds to the air of pretension. they present themselves with a veneer of a small time grocery when they are a chain. They charge way more than other chain grocery stores for the same goods, even organic and gourmet good. They are presenting themselves under the pretense of a local farmer's market, additionally.

Still, if you want to shop there and like shopping there more power to you. My SO really likes the organic blue corn tortilla chips from TJ's.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I wish I could get this in the UK. It looks so damn tasty.

It tastes like gingerbread in a spreadable form, and is quite literally made from ground-up cookies blended with oil.

Speculoos cookies are a European creation, so I would think it'd actually be easier to find the spread in the UK than in the US. Maybe not?

Arde5643

Oh man, I was broken when TJ's took out Kingfisher from their beer line - that beer was so damn tasty with any kind of food - it tastes better with Italian food than Peroni itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom