• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erv

I'm thinking that "Cloverfield" is a title Bad Robot is giving movies that have a mysterious negative occurrence. Nothing that happened in the first movie, I feel, is even going to be in the universe that this new film takes place in. I hope I'm wrong, though!

Don't worry, definitely will have a connection. they're aware of the all the people who have wanted a cloverfield sequel and wouldn't want to mislead them. I'm not saying this is the cloverfield sequel people have wanted,but it will definitely tie in.

FTF

Some of the theories are wild now lol

Super 8 monster is somehow related to the Cloverfield monster, John Goodman's character is this kid Super 8:

He is now older, obviously. Super 8 took place in 1979, the kid could have maybe been 12-13 a during the film, and he would now be almost 50. Goodman looks older than that because he is, but I wouldn't say this theory is impossible Cloverfield monster and Super 8 monster do have design similarities.

Something about Cloverfield gets people thinking some crazy shit haha

This is so crazy...that I think I like it lol.

Cappa

Banned
How credible is this?
It seems to be pretty specific with his facts.

I would not be surprised if this was just a cash grab.

This film was originally made under the names Valencia and The Cellar for Paramounts Insurge division(a subsidiary for films made for under 5 million dollars like The Devil Inside), and when Paramount closed it down, this movie(shot and completed) was thrown out to the wind and orphaned. Paramount bought it back up and had Dan Casey and Damien Chazelle do some re-writes so that it would connect to the Cloverfield universe and they went back and did reshoots and add-ons in March 2015 in New Orleans and L.A.
This is a cash grab by Paramount so that they could make some quick bucks off of this film(which probably wouldn't have made a lot of money in its original non-Cloverfield incarnation). They are trying to spin this into something its really not. The budget is only 5 million dollars and they are releasing it in IMAX to make a little extra dough.
Also take into account that no one from the original cloverfield is working on this(aside from JJ Abrams, who was really just responsible for pitching the first movie to Paramount) and The original film was very much Drew Goddard and Matt Reeve's vision.
I also have the 2013 script for The Cellar, and I see no mention of the monster anywhere in here. Pretty much every scene from the trailer is in the script and there is no mention of a monster. The climax of the movie is:

When something says "the climax of the movie is..."

I have a hard time taking that article too serious. They didn't see the movie yet, they don't know what the climax is. They know what the old scripts climax is, sure.

Mistle

I don't know if anybody has been following the possible ARG aspect of this. But within the past few days some cool things have been happening. First of all the company who sells swamp pop has been sending customers orders that include random puzzle pieces that seem to be from an Eiffel Tower puzzle. And today some really cool things were discovered which can be found here https://www.reddit.com/r/10cloverfi...piling_all_the_discoveries_made_today_in_one/

cool! i was on that subreddit a few days ago and there were no true leads, seemed to be moreso people hoping for an ARG. it progressed so quickly, lol

I don't think there are many. Maybe that the bomb they dropped to kill the monster also destroyed the planet or a lot of it making it unsafe to go out there. I could have sworn JJ Abrams confirmed the monster was killed

He also confirm that the monster was a baby. So the mother can still be in the ocean.

Sorry if this is old news, but John Goodman's character worked at Tagruato. Interesting...

http://tagruato.jp/employee_of_the_month_2016_february.php

Huh, it says he knew of issues with their two satellites. Do you think that's why he began building the shelter, because he knew something was up with the satellites and why they crash landed? Could it be he thought an alien mass was attached to them, causing him to start building?

Huh, it says he knew of issues with their two satellites. Do you think that's why he began building the shelter, because he knew something was up with the satellites and why they crash landed? Could it be he thought an alien mass was attached to them, causing him to start building?

I don't know, it also talks a lot about bringing a new Slusho flavor to the west.

Taken from the Tagruato website.

"Members of Tagruato's elite corporate board were greeted with a rare surprise yesterday as founder Ganu Yoshida visited their emergency home screens in a simultaneous teleconferencing broadcast. After much discussion, Yoshida revealed that kaitei no mitsu, the special Slusho! ingredient lovingly known as "Seabed's Nectar", had been approved by the American Food Association

Ganu Yoshida left with much fanfare today as he boarded his private Tagruato jet that will fly him directly to New York city in the United States. He will be meeting with acclaimed CEO Glen Warner, owner of BevVo, the largest privatized water manufacturer in the world. "Glen has many ideas for distributing Slusho! through pre-established public waterways," said Yoshida, "I wanted to come here myself to discover them."

Yoshida will spend four days in New York before continuing across the United States on a tour of potential Slusho! manufacturing plants

So basically
the new Slusho is monster juice...

VjeqqjK.gif

near

Gold Member

What's interesting about that is that at the end of Cloverfield they show a satellite crashing into the ocean (prior to the monster appearing). While it isn't specified where the monster appears from in the film it was mentioned by Reeves or Abrams that it originates from the ocean. So this might actually take place before the events of Cloverfield!?

What's interesting about that is that at the end of Cloverfield they show a satellite crashing into the ocean (prior to the monster appearing). While it isn't specified where the monster appears from in the film it was mentioned by Reeves or Abrams that it originates from the ocean. So this might actually take place before the events of Cloverfield!?

If you look at the investor relations section of the site, the quarterly results only go up to 3rd quarter 2007.

http://tagruato.jp/investors_pubs.php

Explains the mid-2000s look of the site.

near

Gold Member
If you look at the investor relations section of the site, the quarterly results only go up to 3rd quarter 2007.

http://tagruato.jp/investors_pubs.php

Explains the mid-2000s look of the site.

So the final fiscal report would've been up to September 2007? Hmm... just doubled checked and the satellite crashes in April 2007, while the monster appears in May. What's confusing is that 'Employees of the Month' page is dated February 2016. :/

Dominator

I think this movie will take place in real time. It says Employee of the Month for February 2016, meaning John Goodman's character is still working for Tagruato, and not in the bunker yet. It also says he's been with them for 7 years, so if it is real time then he started working there after the events of the first film.

near

Gold Member
I think this movie will take place in real time. It says Employee of the Month for February 2016, meaning John Goodman's character is still working for Tagruato, and not in the bunker yet. It also says he's been with them for 7 years, so if it is real time then he started working there after the events of the first film.

But he's employee of the month description mentions "diagnosing transmission complications with two of our governmental clients’ orbiting satellites" and we know a satellite crashes before the monster appears. That to me would imply that he was working there during the events of the first film. But if he's been working there for 7 years up to now that would start he's employment in 2009. But if this film has been in development for 2 years and that's a minor error 7 years from when the first events occurred would place the events in 10CL up to 2014 which would also make sense.

Am I reading too much into this? I think the hype is getting to me. :p

D i Z

But he's employee of the month description mentions "diagnosing transmission complications with two of our governmental clients’ orbiting satellites" and we know a satellite crashes before the monster appears. That to me would imply that he was working there during the events of the first film. But if he's been working there for 7 years up to now that would start he's employment in 2009. But if this film has been in development for 2 years and that's a minor error 7 years from when the first events occurred would place the events in 10CL up to 2014 which would also make sense.

That's kind of the whole point and most of the fun, yes? lol

I freakin LOVE when they do ARG for their projects. The only disappointment is knowing from previous events that they will barely use any of this lore directly with the shows/films.

near

Gold Member
That's kind of the whole point and most of the fun, yes? lol

I freakin LOVE when they do ARG for their projects. The only disappointment is knowing from previous events that they will barely use any of this lore directly with the shows/films.

You've got me there, and it's obviously working.

The viral marketing can offer a good backdrop to the actual film, but the information provided sometimes isn't explicitly mentioned in the film but implicitly mentioned. So it's still pretty cool for those who follow the viral campaign, but those who miss out don't miss much.

Dominator

That might be WHY he was hired. The lost one satellite, there are most likely more. To prevent another from falling maybe they hired John Goodman. Sounds plausible to me.

near

Gold Member
That might be WHY he was hired. The lost one satellite, there are most likely more. To prevent another from falling maybe they hired John Goodman. Sounds plausible to me.

It does sound plausible, but that would only have me questioning how this monster is able to cause satellite interference, and why it would need to if it originates from the sea. It also showed no signs of telepathic abilities, something that Cooper (Super 8 monster) had and
used to get home.

Yea I know but it's still strange, also I checked the site map of all their deep sea oil rigs.

It says that a rig was under construction and would open September 2007, in the mid atlantic ridge.

So it implies that September, 2007 hasn't happened yet.

http://tagruato.jp/deepsea2.php

Capra

I've always wondered about the whole satellite thing. The original ARG seemed to imply the monster was woken up through Tagruato's deep sea drilling and then probably just followed the scent of Slusho! shipments back to New York. A lot of people seem to think the satellite "woke up" the monster, but since it was already wrecking shit apparently weeks beforehand it seems there's no real connection from what we know.

I honestly assumed the satellite was just an afterthought inserted into the final scene which the ARG decided to ignore. But if the new one's making it an actual plot point I guess I'll have to rethink that assumption.

Some of the theories are wild now lol

Super 8 monster is somehow related to the Cloverfield monster, John Goodman's character is this kid Super 8:

He is now older, obviously. Super 8 took place in 1979, the kid could have maybe been 12-13 a during the film, and he would now be almost 50. Goodman looks older than that because he is, but I wouldn't say this theory is impossible Cloverfield monster and Super 8 monster do have design similarities.

Something about Cloverfield gets people thinking some crazy shit haha

Somebody stole my idea god damnit!

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=192351966

Ashhong

Well based on that Superbowl ad it looks like this movie is going be a bit bigger than just inside the shelter.

I disagree. It matches the early reports of the movie. The dark parts outside was when she gets in a car accident, and then Goodman brings her in. I think the dark outside scenes were all from before he brings her in

^edit: it showed MEW getting in a car accident and new scenes in the bunker. Also shows a bright light behind a farm house or something

NimbusD

Casual fan of the first cloverfield (didn't realize there was more than just 'casual' fans of it?). Trailer confused the shit out of me and this thread confuses me even more.

I disagree. It matches the early reports of the movie. The dark parts outside was when she gets in a car accident, and then Goodman brings her in. I think the dark outside scenes were all from before he brings her in

^edit: it showed MEW getting in a car accident and new scenes in the bunker. Also shows a bright light behind a farm house or something

Well, it had Clover's roar too, but that could just be a trailer thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom