• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer: Tomb Raider Movie feat. Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft

Instro

I dunno the staff looks pretty solid(good director, and same writer is currently working on Captain Marvel), and they have a good cast. I'll go out on a limb and say this will turn out ok.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I'm in just for the stunt work at least. She looks like she put a ton of effort into all those scenes. The rest of the movie's just there to frame it.

dreamfall

Eeeeeesh.

Just can't really get into it, but I know I'll end up seeing it. It just feels off - the character, the Trinity plot, the reboot focus - all of it.

Fredrik

Looks good imo, lots of scenes from the 2013 game are in, I have high hopes for this!
Wrong actress though, Vikander is top quality when it comes to acting but her voice and body type just doesn't fit the character imo. No idea right now who they should've chosen instead though.

Giolon

I hated everything about this trailer. I hate what Tomb Raider has become. RIP Lara Croft 1996 - 2013.

D.Lo

Good cast, Dom West always a winner.

Generic trailer that looks like every movie ever but nice enough. It's a QTE game without the button prompts I guess.

PhineBuyM3

trash.png

Looks like its based on the garbage reboot version of Lara

Vintage

It's funny how it tries so hard to be exciting and still looks boring. Everything in the trailer is a cliche seen million times in other movies, I feel like I've already watched the whole movie and know everything that happens in it. I can't imagine this movie portraying Lara Croft as anything but a super generic action movie hero, at least the trailer gives me these wibes.

I don't know what to think about this after that trailer. With all it has going for it, it would have to majorly screw up to not be the best reviewed video game adaptation ever. It's virtually a shoe-in unless it is somehow awful. I know that's a very, very low bar but this should do it.

It looks pretty mediocre to me and that trailer was pretty dull. Looks like the budget was not very high and that doesn't inspire me with confidence. You have a first time US production director and the first script Geneva Robertson-Dworet has ever written (but Disney picked her for Captain Marvel too so she must have chops)/

That said, Alicia Vikander can definitely pick what she wants to do after the last couple of years she has and if this is the bigger (even though it doesn't look it to my eyes) budget action franchise she wants to attach herself to, I'm thinking the script must be at least okay.

Everyone likes Dominic West and Walton Goggins too so here's hoping.

Iced Arcade

Why? Vikander is at least kind of well known and a much better actress.
Because she's an actor, is pretty popular, voiced the last 2 games, did the motion capture for Lara, game character is her.

Not saying she's a better actor, good actor or that vikander isn't a better actor... Just surprised and curious why they went the route they did.

Flipyap

So I guess terrible casting is going to be one of post-reboot Tomb Raider's defining features, huh? Vikander seems fine in the pre-adventure parts, but I just don't buy her as an action hero (though judging by the action scenes in this trailer, she might be more of a Mr. Magoo). At least she's much better than the moan machine they used to voice Lara in last two games.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
This trailer gave me the same feelings I had when I first watched The Scorpion King. Not sure how to take that.

Edit: Also not sure how I feel for them taking two actors from Into the Badlands and sticking them into this movie to help it.

Because she's an actor, is pretty popular, voiced the last 2 games, did the motion capture for Lara, game character is her.

Not saying she's a better actor, good actor or that vikander isn't a better actor... Just surprised and curious why they went the route they did.
Camilla Luddington isn't 'pretty popular'. She's never even been in a feature film. Warner Bros. isn't going to start a franchise without a star attached.

That looked bad. All of her actions (running, jumping, drawing her bow, swinging) look unnatural to her. She sounds the part, but doesn't really look it.

I can feel the complete bomb already; critical and commercial failure is written all over it.

It looks pretty mediocre. They seem to be combining plot threads from TR 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider, which I suppose is okay, but when I heard the name TRINITY I rolled my eyes, since I really thought their presence in RotTR was lame as heck.

Iced Arcade

Camilla Luddington isn't 'pretty popular'. She's never even been in a feature film. Warner Bros. isn't going to start a franchise without a star attached.
I dont think she has any movie titles but shes plays on greys anatomy and judging by social media Camilla is actually more popular BUT like myself you don't know the answer. But thanks for the replies.

Should've been Camilla Luddington. They could've waited to use her and having Lara Croft from the games actually being Lara Croft in the blockbuster movie could've been a huge marketing point in their favor.

That was bad. Felt very ho hum and I couldn't see Alicia as Lara at all.
I don't see 2013 Tomb Raider as Lara either so it seems like they captured the essence of that game perfectly in this.
I dont think she has any movie titles but shes plays on greys anatomy and judging by social media Camilla is actually more popular BUT like myself you don't know the answer. But thanks for the replies.
lol, okay.

Top Bottom