• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traits/Abilities debuted in Smash Bros.that leaked into other media or canon...or...?

...or traits/abilities you'd like to see incorporated?

Traits I've seen so far:

Pit: His entire design and personality for Uprising were derived from his revamp in Brawl
Palutena: Her revamp design was first seen in Subspace Emissary before she was in Uprising
Link: Adult Link didn't use a boomerang until Smash 64.
Kirby: In the upcoming 'Planet Robobot' game Kirby has a power called "Smash Bros." which uses abilities based on his moveset in Smash
Captain Falcon: By now every gamer has seen the gif of Falcon using 'Falcon Punch' from the F-Zero anime years after the move was shown in Smash.
Roy:Appeared in Smash before he debuted in Fire Emblem.

Debatable:

Peach: Used a parasol as an attack before it became a staple ability in Super Princess Peach

Any others I didn't catch.

Also an ability I'd like to see:

Giga Bowser
Imagine a mainline Mario game where at the end Bowser is just like 'You know what? Fuck it. I'm sick of your shit!' and turns into Giga Bowser

That would be sick as fuck right?

Also is this another SuperAngelo64 drunk thread? Maybe, who knows?

Giga Bowser
Imagine a mainline Mario game where at the end Bowser is just like 'You know what? Fuck it. I'm sick of your shit!' and turns into Giga Bowser

That would be sick as fuck right?

It was sick as fuck in Yoshi's Island

hqdefault.jpg

Camjo-Z

Kirby's Smash ability was from Amazing Mirror actually, they're just now finally bringing it back in Robobot.

Speaking of Kirby stuff, Meta Knight's Mach Tornado was original to Brawl, but later became his screen-clearing special move in Super Star Ultra.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Just so you know, Kirby has had that "Smash" ability debut in the series earlier than this new 3DS game. I can't remember which game it appeared in first, but I want to say Amazing Mirror as I definitely saw it there.

The only one I could think of was Captain Falcon, and you've got that covered. So... Yeah, drawing a blank, sorry. D:

EDIT: Gosh darn beaten!

SECOND EDIT: Mario Kart 8's F-Zero track does havve billboards of Falcon saying "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES", I just remembered that one.

Samus got a flamethrower in Metroid Prime

Master Hand was a boss in Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. Inhaling him gave Kirby the Smash power, it's actually not a new power for the new game.

Huh. Didn't know that Roy was in Smash before his game came out. Of course, all my friends and I still would've been all "who da heck is Roy" just the same.

Ganondorf's Warlock Punch is one of his attacks in Hyrule Warriors.

Fox and Falco have reflectors and scouter-like eyepieces in Star Fox Zero.

GametimeUK

Luigi having some sort of personality seems to have started with Smash Bros, didn't it?

I instantly think of the TV shows that came before Smash for his personality. I would personally argue his current personality was established in Luigi's Mansion.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
General pepper said fox couldnt use his blaster on dinosaur planet
noticeably after the blaster appeared in fox's arsenal in smash 64 and melee

General pepper said fox couldnt use his blaster on dinosaur planet
noticeably after the blaster appeared in fox's arsenal in smash 64 and melee

I remember that one haha, was so disappointing when he said that too

Edit: the "counter" skill introduced in Fire Emblem Awakening I believe was based off of Marth's ability to counter attacks in Smash (even though that ability was most likely based off of how units automatically strike back after being attacked by the enemy in the games).

Boogdud

Link didn't use a boomerang? Now, I'm not the biggest smash fan, but Link has been using a boomerang since 1986. Adult or not... not sure why that matters.

georly

Link: Adult Link didn't use a boomerang until Smash 64.

Sure, link in smash 64 was from ocarina of time, but who's to say Link from 1, 2, or ALttP isn't the same age as ocarina of time link? He doesn't look like a 'kid' in the artwork, at least. More like a teenager/young adult.

images
legend-of-zelda.jpg

He DEFINITELY used a boomerang in those games.

Link didn't use a boomerang? Now, I'm not the biggest smash fan, but Link has been using a boomerang since 1986. Adult or not... not sure why that matters.

Yup.

Weiss

Banned

Adult Link in OoT couldn't use the boomerang.

I did think that was weird when I was a kid playing Smash 64.

Sure, link in smash 64 was from ocarina of time, but who's to say Link from 1, 2, or ALttP isn't the same age as ocarina of time link? He doesn't look like a 'kid' in the artwork, at least. More like a teenager/young adult.

images
legend-of-zelda.jpg

He DEFINITELY used a boomerang in those games.

Yup.

The Smash Melee trophy description states that the NES Link was 'Young Link"

I remember that one haha, was so disappointing when he said that too

Edit: the "counter" skill introduced in Fire Emblem Awakening I believe was based off of Marth's ability to counter attacks in Smash (even though that ability was most likely based off of how units automatically strike back after being attacked by the enemy in the games).

Marth even uses his Brawl animation for his counter in Awakening.

Yeah, I fully believe Adult Link would have ended up using a boomerang regardless of whether or not Smash Bros. came out. The boomerang is a staple item of the series, and it was inevitable that a 3D Zelda game would come out with only an adult Link.

Besides, I'm pretty sure it could be argued that Zelda 3 and 4 had an Adult Link.

I don't believe Donkey Kong had a ground pound before Smash 64? He uses that in the Retro DK Country games.
(Edit: unless maybe you count that jump he does in the original Donkey Kong at the beginning of Stage 1?)

One could also argue that the continued relevance of Pokemon like Lucario can be contributed in part to Smash... Though I guess their relevance in other media could also be argued as their reason for getting into Smash.

Kid Icarus and Kirby characters are the most relevant to this thread, for obvious reasons. They're pretty give and take between Smash and their main games at this point.

Syril

I don't believe Donkey Kong had a ground pound before Smash 64? He uses that in the Retro DK Country games.
(Edit: unless maybe you count that jump he does in the original Donkey Kong at the beginning of Stage 1?)
He actually had it in DKC1 if you hit Down+Roll.

In Donkey Kong 64, DK can do an attack in the air where he slams his fists downward, which looks suspiciously like his forward air in Smash.

Piers

Brawl:

Unleashed:
hqdefault.jpg

Sonic Team seemed to of adapted the blue glow from Brawl.

Giga Bowser would be too monstrous and extreme by mainline Mario standards imo. He is cool, but he also works in Super Smash Bros. because it throws various franchises of varying tones into the same pot. Hence you have Mario throw giant twin hadoukens, Link perform Omnislash, and so on.

Berordn

I'm having a hell of a time finding an image of it, but Luigi uses the Green Missile (which debuted in Melee) in Mario Sports Mix and Mario & Sonic when making lunges in certain sports.

Still hasn't appeared in a mainline Mario game, but that's kinda neat still.

In Donkey Kong 64, DK can do an attack in the air where he slams his fists downward, which looks suspiciously like his forward air in Smash.

The developments don't line up. DK64 was released mere months after Smash 64.

My thought is that DK's forward air comes from DK64, since I assume Sakurai played a bit of the dev build of DK64 to get an idea of how DK should look.

That, or it's just a strange coincidence.

Kirby's Smash ability was from Amazing Mirror actually, they're just now finally bringing it back in Robobot.

Speaking of Kirby stuff, Meta Knight's Mach Tornado was original to Brawl, but later became his screen-clearing special move in Super Star Ultra.

Mach Tornado was in Super Star

JazzmanZ

Captain Falcons 'show me your moves' taunt has appeared in other games including Mario Kart 8, The wonderful 101, and Pokken.

Olimars current Pikmin 3 design is based on the one in Brawl.

The Halbred in Brawl has been used in other games including Super star Ultra and Kirbo ropopon

Glix

...or traits/abilities you'd like to see incorporated?

Traits I've seen so far:

Pit: His entire design and personality for Uprising were derived from his revamp in Brawl
Palutena: Her revamp design was first seen in Subspace Emissary before she was in Uprising

These two are kinda nonsense. They didn't bleed... Both games were designed by the same man, its a different situation.

Kirby and Kid Icarus series aside, Captain Falcon is the character that probably got influenced by Smash Bros the most. His signature quotes and "Falcon Punch" are now part of his character. The famous/infamous "Falcon Punch" was even in the F-Zero anime.

Top Bottom