• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traits/Abilities debuted in Smash Bros.that leaked into other media or canon...or...?

georly

aLttP is as adult as any other adults links and he had a boomerang.

At the very least, the same exact link is in link's awakening and both he and marin are 17 in that game. I don't think anything about link came from smash bros. Even the stuff made up for smash bros, like smash 4's up air, hasn't made it into a zelda game.

I'm having a hell of a time finding an image of it, but Luigi uses the Green Missile (which debuted in Melee) in Mario Sports Mix and Mario & Sonic when making lunges in certain sports.

Still hasn't appeared in a mainline Mario game, but that's kinda neat still.

Luigi tucks his arms in and leans forward like the Green Missile and his SSB victory pose when shooting out of pipes in SM3DW. I can't recall if this was also the case when launching from stars in Galaxy, but I'm pretty sure the pose came from SSB first.

TheMink

Brawl:

Unleashed:
hqdefault.jpg

Sonic Team seemed to of adapted the blue glow from Brawl.

Giga Bowser would be too monstrous and extreme by mainline Mario standards imo. He is cool, but he also works in Super Smash Bros. because it throws various franchises of varying tones into the same pot. Hence you have Mario throw giant twin hadoukens, Link perform Omnislash, and so on.

In Sonic Adventure if you charge up the light speed dash you jave a blue glow. Also pretty much any move leaves a blue ghost behind him.

It's a chicken and the egg situation, but Wario's victory theme coming from an early version of Shake It? Or Shake It making a theme around Wario's victory tune?

At the very least, the same exact link is in link's awakening and both he and marin are 17 in that game. I don't think anything about link came from smash bros. Even the stuff made up for smash bros, like smash 4's up air, hasn't made it into a zelda game.

I imagine it's because Link is one of the most faithful adaptations in Smash. Basically all of his animations and attacks come from a game, and the rest are just generic animations or derivative of other animations.

RomanceDawn

Donkey Kong:

1 - Clap Attacks. I'm certain he never did this before Smash and then Jungle Beat completely ran with it.
2 - Head Butts. Same as above, first seen in Melee and adopted in Jungle Beat.

I love Donkey Kong. I wish I was a gorilla sometimes.

georly

I imagine it's because Link is one of the most faithful adaptations in Smash. Basically all of his animations and attacks come from a game, and the rest are just generic animations or derivative of other animations.

I'd say mega man trumps link, as far as faithful adaptations go. Smash link feels like smash link, despite his obvious twilight princess inspiration. Mega man is nearly flawless in every way - not a single frame of animation doesn't seem to come from a mega man game.

I'd say mega man trumps link, as far as faithful adaptations go. Smash link feels like smash link, despite his obvious twilight princess inspiration. Mega man is nearly flawless in every way - not a single frame of animation doesn't seem to come from a mega man game.

Well, it's a little different going from a 3D or top down 2D game to a side scrolling 3D game. Versus Mega Man which is 2D to 2D. In the game where Link fights in 2D, Link in Smash basically has every attack he uses from that game.

Olimar is another example. Extremely faithful to Pikmin, but obviously different because Pikmin is a top down RTS, while Smash is a 2D side scrolling fighting game.

Ever since the original game, Kirby has had the same voice actor, Makiko Ohmoto, throughout the entirety of the Kirby series.

Marth is somewhat similar to this.

While his actor did play him once before Melee, since Melee, he's consistently voiced him. I can't imagine a guy doing a random anime for some video game in the early 90s ever imagined coming back to voice that character a decade later, and then to now voice that character consistently over the last 15 years.

SkyOdin

Ganondorf's Warlock Punch from Super Smash Bros. appears to have crossed back into the games, albeit in a slightly different form. The final boss of A Link Between Worlds does have one attack where he charges up a powerful spear thruat charged with dark energy, which clearly seems based on the Warlock Punch. A Warlock Stab maybe?

MoonFrog

Yeah, since the game never actually released here. WE only got the, admittedly worse, prequel.

Fixed that for you.

I find Fire Fox amusing so if Fox ever does an adventure game again, I'd like to see that included. Should have been in Assault too.

georly

While it's animated differently, this move didn't originate in Smash.

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Jump_Thrust

latest

But in brawl/melee/64 it was animated much closer to that original jump thrust, yet in smash 4 they decided to change it to look weirder. My point is, it already looked like his up air from zelda 2, now it doesn't, for no reason. If Zelda U uses that animation, then we can approve it for this thread. Considering link has the ability to leap from his horse and slow down time, I wouldn't be surprised if they add sword moves to his leap, as well. Jump thrust would be a great way to tackle strong flying enemies.

I'm having a hard time finding an image of smash 4 link's up air. The primary visible difference is the lack of genuflection, as both legs are extended.

Top Bottom