• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Thanks. I actually emailed one earlier today and am going back and forth with them a bit but I'm still waiting for some answers and was worried they wouldn't take me because I wasn't going about the proper channels. I'd call them but I just feel kinda odd about physically talking about it, but I'm gonna have to get over that eventually I suppose.

Honestly calling them is the proper channels. More often than not those clinics have access to most things you'll need or at the very least point you out to the things you need and where you can find them.

If you have any questions, any questions at all, you can PM me and I'll answer any and all questions with no judgement.

Valanarro

Honestly calling them is the proper channels. More often than not those clinics have access to most things you'll need or at the very least point you out to the things you need and where you can find them.

If you have any questions, any questions at all, you can PM me and I'll answer any and all questions with no judgement.
Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind if anything comes up!

Silvawuff

Thanks your reply, Butterfly Witch. I understand what you are saying. I think you make a lot of good points and I thank you for sharing them. I will definitely reconsider my attitude toward others that don't have the same luck/resources that I do.

The one thing I do have to say is that just because I have "privilege" doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to advocate for those who do not. I have lost friends as well. I also believe I have saved others. This is a culture of advocacy and I think we, as a community, can use all the help and support we can get, no matter the channel. Who I am, the choices I make, or how I walk my path are all things I stand behind. I believe the advice, opinions, and anecdotes I've shared about my personal experiences are in good faith and not meant to discredit or put down the struggles others face.

That's all I really have to say. I deeply appreciate your thoughts; I truly do.

Valanarro -- welcome! I'm really happy for you! I totally understand everything you're sharing. When you're first starting your journey it can feel overwhelming just figuring out the "what next?" I think a lot of the choices you're making are already good ones. and the rest of the things you'll need to do will start to come naturally and make sense to you. It does feel weird talking about trans-stuff at first; this will quickly become the norm!

My best advice for you is to take your time and try not to rush things. You'll find a lot of transitioning is waiting; be it between appointments for treatments or bigger milestones.

Sibylus

Banned
Privilege should be used―to uplift our most vulnerable and needy. If I'm using my white privilege to draw attention to white people, and not people of color who suffer through systemic discrimination and inequality, I'm perpetuating that status quo.

Silvawuff

Legitimate question: do people need to hit some kind of suffering quota before it's socially acceptable to endow oneself with "privileges?" Who decides? I personally thank everyone should have access to help equally and without compromise, regardless of who they are and where they are in life.

I also think one of the biggest challenges trans people face is separating from negativity, both internally and externally. I know some of you may vehemently disagree and may suggest that it's not that easy -- and I agree, it's certainly not. But, I think it's possible to rethink a person's approach toward transitioning. Example, if you go in to work saying "I will have a bad day," it's highly likely you will have a bad day. You're in control of your own destiny and how you approach your problems, even in spite of what life deals out to you.

Sibylus

Banned
Legitimate question: do people need to hit some kind of suffering quota before it's socially acceptable to endow oneself with "privileges?" Who decides? I personally thank everyone should have access to help equally and without compromise, regardless of who they are and where they are in life.

I also think one of the biggest challenges trans people face is separating from negativity, both internally and externally. I know some of you may vehemently disagree and may suggest that it's not that easy -- and I agree, it's certainly not. But, I think it's possible to rethink a person's approach toward transitioning. Example, if you go in to work saying "I will have a bad day," it's highly likely you will have a bad day. You're in control of your own destiny and how you approach your problems, even in spite of what life deals out to you.

The bolded has me thinking you have the concept backwards. Privilege isn't a bonus acquired through suffering. I am a beneficiary of white privilege by dint of being born to my parents (simple genetic/temporal lottery), and at the same time hit with its lack (trans woman, queer, etc.) by the same mechanisms. Privilege and disadvantage is complicated and intersectional.

Equal access to healthcare and support is a great goal, but we should also account for the fact that needs and blessings are not equal. There are a lot of precariously positioned people who need more help and more flexible help than someone positioned in the middle class (for example). Trans people of color also have greater security and needs for discretion than myself or other white trans folk. We need be realists and specific.

Beth Cyra

What up Sirs, Ladies, Bitches and Dicks! Plus all you fine folk that don't have one designation :)

I hope you are well haven't checked in, in a bit. I miss some of you folk a ton and hope you're well.

Dai101

Banned
Ladies and gentlemen (i guess....)

Been a while since the last time i was here, or any other thread for that matter (the perks of being b&, you know how it works). Is nice to see some of you have done some changes and what not, keep up the good work. Also i see some new faces, i just wanna say welcome to you all.

Keep baing beautiful, all and every one of you.

See ya'll around.

Yo Beth! Been a while, hope life is good with you and your lovely family. Saludos chica!!

Beth Cyra

Ladies and gentlemen (i guess....)

Been a while since the last time i was here, or any other thread for that matter (the perks of being b&, you know how it works). Is nice to see some of you have done some changes and what not, keep up the good work. Also i see some new faces, i just wanna say welcome to you all.

Keep baing beautiful, all and every one of you.

See ya'll around.

Yo Beth! Been a while, hope life is good with you and your lovely family. Saludos chica!!
Eh family is happy I can't decide between wanting to kill them or myself most of the time ugh.

Hope your doing well Dai.

Dai101

Banned
Eh family is happy I can't decide between wanting to kill them or myself most of the time ugh.

Hope your doing well Dai.

Yup, that's family, yeah. Can't live with 'em, can't live without them, lol.

Doing fine, i can't complaint much. Besides as i always say, i'm still alive to better myself and try to leave the world in a best shape that i was born into it.

Greetings again ;-)

Thanks your reply, Butterfly Witch. I understand what you are saying. I think you make a lot of good points and I thank you for sharing them. I will definitely reconsider my attitude toward others that don't have the same luck/resources that I do.

The one thing I do have to say is that just because I have "privilege" doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to advocate for those who do not. I have lost friends as well. I also believe I have saved others. This is a culture of advocacy and I think we, as a community, can use all the help and support we can get, no matter the channel. Who I am, the choices I make, or how I walk my path are all things I stand behind. I believe the advice, opinions, and anecdotes I've shared about my personal experiences are in good faith and not meant to discredit or put down the struggles others face.

That's all I really have to say. I deeply appreciate your thoughts; I truly do.

Please understand that while I may point out privilege it's merely as a sanity check to remind ourselves that what is available, possible or even doable by us may not be by others. The dangers of privilege is when it's taken for granted, it blinds us to the reality of others who do not have such privilege.

Also, just because you have privileges that others may not it certainly should not stop your from advocating. Trans folk as a whole need as much visibility and allies as possible and having privilege is not a disqualifier, this isn't oppression olympics.

We all have privilege of some kind, some more than others but we all have some. Be it because we have family support, local doctors and clinics, a stable job or not having to worry about food, shelter and abuse. Many more examples could be given but I think it's not necessary.

Again, I'm not saying "You have privilege so you cannot talk or advocate for other trans folks!!", I'm merely saying that just because those options were there, just because you had the ability to do so and the resources it doesn't mean it's common or that others do too. It's a sanity check, pure and simple.

We cannot help others if we are blind to their realities.

Not at all!

Privilege is merely things you have that others may not. Be it shelter, food, love, a job or just being able bodied. Privilege doesn't detract from us as people, it doesn't make anyone "lesser than" or their struggles less meaningful or anything.

The thing with privilege is that it can be latent, such as skin color or being born to a wealthy family, or it can be acquired such as learning a trade or going to college. Oftentimes there's really nothing other than sheer dumb luck, or happenstance really, when it comes to it. This is why it's so important to avoid falling in the trap of "if you work really hard then you can do it too!" because there are factors outside of our control that can make something possible or not.

Silvawuff

Please understand that while I may point out privilege it's merely as a sanity check to remind ourselves that what is available, possible or even doable by us may not be by others. The dangers of privilege is when it's taken for granted, it blinds us to the reality of others who do not have such privilege.

Also, just because you have privileges that others may not it certainly should not stop your from advocating. Trans folk as a whole need as much visibility and allies as possible and having privilege is not a disqualifier, this isn't oppression olympics.

We all have privilege of some kind, some more than others but we all have some. Be it because we have family support, local doctors and clinics, a stable job or not having to worry about food, shelter and abuse. Many more examples could be given but I think it's not necessary.

Again, I'm not saying "You have privilege so you cannot talk or advocate for other trans folks!!", I'm merely saying that just because those options were there, just because you had the ability to do so and the resources it doesn't mean it's common or that others do too. It's a sanity check, pure and simple.

We cannot help others if we are blind to their realities.

Not at all!

Privilege is merely things you have that others may not. Be it shelter, food, love, a job or just being able bodied. Privilege doesn't detract from us as people, it doesn't make anyone "lesser than" or their struggles less meaningful or anything.

The thing with privilege is that it can be latent, such as skin color or being born to a wealthy family, or it can be acquired such as learning a trade or going to college. Oftentimes there's really nothing other than sheer dumb luck, or happenstance really, when it comes to it. This is why it's so important to avoid falling in the trap of "if you work really hard then you can do it too!" because there are factors outside of our control that can make something possible or not.

Thank you for this, truly. Your bolded quote in particular really hit home with me. I couldn't agree more, and I understand what you are saying completely. I get it.

Maybe I've misrepresented myself a bit here in this thread, and for that I apologize. I've lurked here for a long time and followed a lot of your individual stories. It's helped me immensely, and I've wanted to give back to this little community by showering in some optimism of my own -- but maybe my approach was a bit hamfisted. My humblest of apologies for this, to every one of you.

If there is anything I can do , or anyone lurking here that needs a kind word or advice given in confidence, please do not hesitate to PM me (or pop me between the ears if I'm sounding unrealistic).

Kaywee

I don't post here very often but I read the last couple pages and saw people talking about the year and a half wait for hormones. As someone who had to wait over 2 years to finally get mine, it was hell most days. Now that I have navigated that system, I can offer some advice to skip ahead in the line.

Make friends at your closest trans groups and that might mean a drive to a big city to find one. Those people will be able to point you towards the specific doctors and clinics that work with the community. Once you know the names, have your family doctor make a referral to that specific doctor/clinic.

Also fertility clinics sometimes will work with trans people in dispensing and monitoring hormones, so don't be afraid to make a call or two to see if they will work with you. If they will then you can again get your family doctor to refer you to that clinic.

A big congratulations to those who are new to the thread. I hope you stay strong through your journey.

tearsofash

Is estrogen supposed to cause bone pain? Ever since they moved me up to 3mg a day I've been feeling my joints and bones hurt. Not my fingers or anything but yeah.

Kaywee

Is estrogen supposed to cause bone pain? Ever since they moved me up to 3mg a day I've been feeling my joints and bones hurt. Not my fingers or anything but yeah.

Hey tearsofash

I have heard that spiro can mess up your sodium/potassium balance, and can also give you leg cramps and muscle pains that feel similar.

Like a lot of things with transition though everyone is different and it could be hip growth growth and pelvic tilt.

If it continues for an extended period on time you should really ask a medical professional.

tearsofash

Hey tearsofash

I have heard that spiro can mess up your sodium/potassium balance, and can also give you leg cramps and muscle pains that feel similar.

Like a lot of things with transition though everyone is different and it could be hip growth growth and pelvic tilt.

If it continues for an extended period on time you should really ask a medical professional.

my spiro has been pretty consistent, and im also on a heart med that regulates potassium.

Just checking in here, I don't read the thread very often (although I do pop into the discord now and then).

I've been full time presenting as Jess since the end of Feb, still not had any negative remarks or problems out and about which is great.

HRT is still looking a long ways off though, it's around 8 months since I got my GP to refer me to the Nottingham gender clinic, and they said it was an 18+ month waiting list when I last spoke to them so I'm anticipating another year-ish before I get my first appointment. I wish there was some way to speed this process up as I'm 34 now and I really just want to get my body 'moving' in the right direction.

It does get to me a bit that I'm going to probably have been full time for maybe almost two years by the time I actually see any hormone treatment, but I'm trying to stay positive. I've had 8 sessions of laser hair removal so far, which has been great on my cheeks, neck and chin although the upper lip area is still very dark and thick at this point, so I've booked another 8 sessions for that area.

My partner has been on HRT for about a year and a 1/4 now, she's doing well. Although it's interesting that she's only been prescribed E and not anything like spiro to block testosterone, is that normal for the UK?

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm proud of all of you who are discovering your real selves, be you at the start or end of your journeys. We're all in this together despite our differing circumstances.

Silvawuff

Hiya Android! Congrats on your progress! I did the laser route at first and had a pretty dark upper lip for a while; I switched to electrolysis and I've had way better results, so that may be something to consider. It's a real game-changer just to have your lip done. It's painful but worth it.

I'm sorry you're still waiting. I would keep exploring, making calls, and being a squeaky wheel to get the medication you need. Don't settle. I don't understand the UK health system well enough to make this suggestion, but that's what I would do in your situation.

Best of luck!

Rajack

I'm worried about Apple, she was not acting herself and pushed me away. Someone please help her, I can't even reach her anymore.

Boogiepop

Sorry in advance that this'll probably be long and ramble-y, I'd imagine, but yeah...

So I've been so very, very goddamn wish-washy for forever, going through cycles of "I'm trans, no I'm not, yes I am, no I'm not." (If you were to go back far enough you'd likely find a post from me saying something similar years and years ago in this very thread). I think at the core of it is that I'm, to put it frankly, socially awkward as all hell, and my innate reaction to anything uncomfortable or awkward is to flee as thoroughly as I can manage, effectively. And so I'd hit a point where eventually I feel overwhelmed and like I needed to do something, and then I'd come out to my parents, or go to a psychiatrist, and then end up backpedaling hard and going "nope, nope, all in my head" afterwards, trying to distance myself from how impossibly awkward that situation was for me. And then I'd shove it deep down inside for a few months and manage okay, until I inevitably broke down again.

The last time this occurred, I actually came out to a friend, and then of course ended up going back into a turtled "Nope, never mind, just my misconception, please let us never talk of this again", and then... later down the line, when said friend's girlfriend at the time broke up with him, I got a text from her that made it quite clear that she knew (thank god in a non-confrontational way) (And said friend apologized profusely, swore up and down that he told no one else, and cleared things up with said ex). So... that kind of triggered the strongest one of those "nope, nope, nope, shove it all down" reactions I've ever had (nearly freaking passed out and my heart stopped beating when I got that text).

So the other thing I want to jam in here is that, part of the "problem" for what it's worth is that, I graduated college around the time of that aforementioned last event. And since then, I've been living at home, working from home, and only really hanging out with friends I'm super, incredibly comfortable with. So I've hardly had any interactions where I'd need to be self conscious in the least. And I also just generally wear loose shorts and t-shirts that don't make me think about such things, keep my hair long, etc. Like, I've essentially just walled myself off from having to think about my appearance or be self-conscious at all for a while now. And so, combined with the aforementioned extra strong repression... I actually went like 2-3 years without having a breakdown.

Anyway, my net thought I had settled on, though never sold myself fully on (again, just focused on my work and hobbies entirely, pushed it out of my brain as much as possible) was even if I don't like being masculine, maybe I'd be cool just being as close to androgynous as possible. Because in my brain, the issue I ALWAYS run into is the idea that I'm not "trans enough", because if I can go without suffering for a while, then clearly the issue isn't bad enough to take action, or so my brain always convinces me, and gets me to hide back away.

So, to cut to the chase... after this long time with it hidden away, the dam finally broke, and I was kind of a wreak the last two days (like, on a level only matched by full on existential dread, and that's a lot easier to banish from my mind). I've gotten more "positive" now, and that's left me just feeling kind of... emotionally raw, for lack of a better way to describe it.

Now, I'm just going to kind of blurt out what I've been thinking in my head: First off, even when I've broken away from feeling depressed over this, it's not like I've been like "I'm 100% male and cool with that and let's just go out there and be masculine!" I've had my hair fairly long for forever now ("for a guy"), at probably just short of shoulder length. Every time I've had my hair cut in the past for forever, it's been accompanied by a sense of dread and disgust at the results (if you'd ask why I've done it... I'll admit, since I'm being open, that I've been waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too complacent, and let my parents rule my life enough that I'd buckle under the "you need to get a haircut already, it's out of control" comments, despite now being 26. Though I finally grew enough of a backbone to put a damn stop to that a few months ago.) I hate, hate, HATE my body hair. (I've been lucky with most of my body in that it's fairly light, to the degree that, were I to actually want it, I'd find my chest hair downright pathetic. Of course as is, I'm grateful for that. My facial hair is... less lucky, so I'm constantly shaving that clean). And I have always, forever hated my own voice, like, so, so very much. In fact I think that's part of the reason I'm so horribly socially stunted, because when I start talking outside of, say, to people I'm super comfortable with in a relaxed setting, I become incredibly self conscious of it (like, back in college, whenever I had to speak up in a class, my thoughts would just be "I hate my voice, I hate my voice, I hate my voice, I just want to freaking run away right now". Also, I'm pretty sure the only reason I can post all this is precisely because I can do it via text, rather than verbally.) And all of these things, I can say I definitively hate because they're masculine, and I like my hair because I feel, when it's the way I like it... it just looks feminine to me.

As for some "dumber" thoughts: Ever since I've stopped being self-conscious over how I'm "not supposed" to do so, I always, always pick the female option in games. Heck, I'll throw out the detail that I actually first came to the realization that something was up in high school (though I was still stupid and idealizing nonsensical "solutions" and crap, and didn't actually realize "oh damn, I'm in denial, and I'm trans!" until college). And yet the first time I can remember even having that option in a game was Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, and... I would've absolutely chosen the female character design if it weren't for thoughts of "people will think I'm weird if I do". And the same was true for shows, too. Like, I watched and loved Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon as a kid (and of course hid that), and the character I felt most attached to in X-men... was Jubilee, rather than the "cool" choices of Wolverine or Cyclops or Gambit or whatever, and it wasn't because I had a crush on her. Which is of course even more true nowadays.

And today I threw on a dress I happened to have laying around in hiding, stored away, gained from shenanigans years ago. And I mean, it's not like "OMG this is an impossible mindblowing revelation of the sort I've never felt before, absolute proof positive!" but... I like it, and I like the look of being in it, even though it's super subdued.

I guess the thing that most keeps coming to mind is, like, something that hit me way back when I first started thinking about this stuff: If I had a magic button that'd just go "poof", and change your sex instantly, I'd hit it without fail, and I've thought that nonstop, even when I was just bottling stuff up. It's always been the process that scares me. And I feel like it's also throwing me off because... it feels so "abstract" and unreal to actually think about moving forward with things, like my brain almost can't conceive it being a real thing I can do. And especially I know because of my anxiety I'm afraid of the idea of "coming out", and of the inevitable mental back-pedaling I'd come to, as I have in the past. Like, and that's even with knowing my parents and one friend would be totally okay with it, and I'm about 99% sure that the rest of my circle of close friends and my siblings wouldn't have a problem.

All that said, the one thing I've done differently right now is... I'm trying to think positive instead of negative. Which is to say, rather than "am I suffering enough?" I'm focusing on "Is this something I'd want?", and the answer to that is yes... even though I know it'll be damn near impossible for me to work up the guts to say that to others.

So... I'm kind of left thinking on what to do next, now. I'm still kind of raw, so I want to sort out my feelings a little better first, probably. And in the past... I've always kind of gotten my parents involved because, to be blunt, I never got myself driving. I've since solved that issue, and... I kind of think maybe it'd be for the best to try to figure out going to a psychiatrist or something on my own for now. I've gone a few times in the past, but I feel like, I dunno, it's always kind of been colored by being "out" to my parents at the time (who are fine, but also are kind of like "are you sure it's not just you getting hung up on a thought or something?" because the anxiety does kind of run in the family. And then that kind of mentally undermines me, even if I know that's not right). Also kind of feel weird about the idea of going back to a psychiatrist, because the guy I used most... wasn't very helpful, to be honest. Like, I knew myself way better than he did, and no matter how much I told him, that didn't change, and it didn't do anything... except for, again, the mental trauma from my anxiety inevitably causing me to turtle up again afterwards each time. As in, at least as far as I've felt, this is kind of something I need to overcome and decide on my own.

I realize this is probably way too long, and disjointed, and a mess, but... I at least needed to dump my thoughts in some way, and if anyone has any help to offer, that'd be great.

Welcome to the thread.

It sounds to me like you're psyching yourself out and that you're very scared.

Guess what? You are not alone!

There's a somewhat active discord server where you can talk real time with other people, ask questions or just sit back and listen. If you wish to know more please PM me.

Beth Cyra

Welcome to the thread.

There's a somewhat active discord server where you can talk real time with other people, ask questions or just sit back and listen. If you wish to know more please PM me.
Butterfly_Witch is right your most certainly not alone in being afraid if you are and there are very good people here (not me I'm a super cunt) who help and try to give advice and be a shoulder to cry on.

I hope you feel better and if things get to bad reach out for that channel they will not judge you and understand your fears and insecurity.

Eusis

I... don't really have much to say to help, Boogiepop. Just that I've read your post and have had similar feelings, though I think I feel more like my feelings are on the fence (female body/gender neutral or more male/tomboy expression being the ideal?) and I just act as if I can just ignore them or shut them away. Still, there's a reason "cis people don't think they're the wrong gender" is a sentiment that pops up often.

Boogiepop

Welcome to the thread.

Butterfly_Witch is right your most certainly not alone in being afraid if you are and there are very good people here (not me I'm a super cunt) who help and try to give advice and be a shoulder to cry on.

I hope you feel better and if things get to bad reach out for that channel they will not judge you and understand your fears and insecurity.

I... don't really have much to say to help, Boogiepop. Just that I've read your post and have had similar feelings, though I think I feel more like my feelings are on the fence (female body/gender neutral or more male/tomboy expression being the ideal?) and I just act as if I can just ignore them or shut them away. Still, there's a reason "cis people don't think they're the wrong gender" is a sentiment that pops up often.
Thanks everyone, I definitely appreciate it. If nothing else, good to have an outlet that's not immediately jumping to "opening up incredibly personal feelings to loved ones," but rather something I can feel a bit more relaxed about. Because if nothing else, I've almost certainly bottled up and kept this all solely internalized for waaaaaaay too long.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I feel for you Boogiepop. I've nearly hit the same beats as you recently, and while I've expressed these feelings to my close family and put myself on the waiting list to see a therapist, I still feel this dread waiting for that appointment.

Thanks everyone, I definitely appreciate it. If nothing else, good to have an outlet that's not immediately jumping to "opening up incredibly personal feelings to loved ones," but rather something I can feel a bit more relaxed about. Because if nothing else, I've almost certainly bottled up and kept this all solely internalized for waaaaaaay too long.

I feel that sometimes having a space where you're mostly anonymous to talk about those feelings and stuff is better than relaying to loved ones when one is afraid of being judged.

It can be easier to talk to people who are detached from your life since any push backs won't be felt as close to home. Besides, if things go bad you can always bail.

Mepsi

I'm curious how people have handled this situation in the past.

I'm starting to go forward using my new name where I can, currently I'm not using it around my family, but my friends and girlfriend do.

I'm taking a qualification currently and would like it to be in my new name, however they require a proof of name change to update it.

I have a statutory declaration document that just requires signing by myself and a witness to make things official as such. I was going to wait until I move out in 3 months to finish it which will be the same time I come out to all my family.

Is there anyone who has been in the situation where they have changed their name officially but still had people out of the loop using their old name for a while. I dunno if it quite sits right with me, but at the same time I really want to do it.

I'm curious how people have handled this situation in the past.

I'm starting to go forward using my new name where I can, currently I'm not using it around my family, but my friends and girlfriend do.

I'm taking a qualification currently and would like it to be in my new name, however they require a proof of name change to update it.

I have a statutory declaration document that just requires signing by myself and a witness to make things official as such. I was going to wait until I move out in 3 months to finish it which will be the same time I come out to all my family.

Is there anyone who has been in the situation where they have changed their name officially but still had people out of the loop using their old name for a while. I dunno if it quite sits right with me, but at the same time I really want to do it.

That's actually not that unusual.

In fact, in the US you technically can use your old name as sort of an alias so it's still technically valid.

Silvawuff

Hi Boogie, thanks for opening up. Like the others have mentioned, you may be psyching yourself out. You definitely should share more with people you trust. In response to the overall theme of your post, it sounds to me (and this is strictly my opinion, mind) that one of the big challenges you're facing is the anxiety behind being who you truly are. You are definitely not alone here, and I think once you come to some important realizations about yourself, who you are, and how to be who you are, everything will click and this mental hell (I call it "limbo") will go away.

I think it takes a lot of mental homework to arrive at this state where you're ready to make some big choices. Gender is definitely not the binary we are raised to think it is; you don't have to be completely female or male. You can fall somewhere comfortably in-between, or not at all. You don't have to "prove" to anyone that you're trans or not; you can identify however you like, and any professional you may talk to doesn't need proof or evidence that you are, indeed, who you say you are. You should trust yourself when you say "This is who I really am."

It sounds to me like once you've hashed some things out, you can start to make those big choices that will lead you on to being happy. Don't hesitate and do what must be done to be yourself.

If you'd like to PM me feel free; also Butterfly's Discord is a really good place to check out. Whatever you decide, know that you're not alone and there is help out there; you just have to reach out for it!

Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tiptoe if you must, but take a step. - Naeem Callaway

Sadsic

just found out my sister is transgender (i should start saying brother now)! is there like a rundown on how to be a good ally for my sibling? The pronouns confuse me in particular.

Silvawuff

how impossible is it to get laser paid for by insurance? I'm talking with a laser place and they said there's a 99% denial rate.

I've never personally heard of it. I do have a friend that got her electrolysis covered because she got a doc's note saying she suffered from ingrown hairs and it was medically necessary treatment. I guess it depends on who you know for support, where you are, and the type of insurance you have. Some transfriendly places may offer discounted rates for those specific clients; mine does and it's helped offset the expense quite a bit.

How do you deal with regret?

I'm supposed to start HRT next week and I should be excited, but all I can think of is how.... pointless it seems now.

Even if I was lucky and my transition turned out well, that won't change the fact that the greatest and most important years of my life have already been wasted.

Childhood, adolescence, college, all just a miserable shitpit of terrible anxiety, depression, and dysphoria. What do I have to look forward too? I can't have biological children, and I can't see myself achieving any sort of meaningful self-actualization through a career. So really, what's the point?

mollipen

Even if I was lucky and my transition turned out well, that won't change the fact that the greatest and most important years of my life have already been wasted.

The "greatest and most important years of your life" are whichever years you make the way. Attaching those ideas to a specific age range is bullshit.

How you look forward to transitioning is knowing how many things in life you'll still get to do as the new you. How many years you'll still have to make life more the way you want it. Lamenting the past is worthless because you can do nothing to change what's already happened—but you have full control over what happens to you from here.

I transitioned "later" in life and I still can't believe every day how much I love life more now than I did before. Do I wish I had transitioned earlier? Sure. But there's still so much life that I have to experience as the new me.

Misha

Banned
How do you deal with regret?

I'm supposed to start HRT next week and I should be excited, but all I can think of is how.... pointless it seems now.

Childhood, adolescence, college, all just a miserable shitpit of terrible anxiety, depression, and dysphoria. What do I have to look forward too? I can't have biological children, and I can't see myself achieving any sort of meaningful self-actualization through a career. So really, what's the point?

That really doesn't have anything to do with being trans tbh. Cis people feel the same issue with years they wish they did differently and a lack of direction. Circumstances might close some doors but others are wide open and you just have to find them. Try out different hobbies, meet new people, go new places. Figure out what excites you and work on it

Personally, transitioning(still in the process) has helped me get out of depression and be considerably more self expressive. It didn't directly make my life better but it allowed me to be better so that I could create the best year I can remember for myself. I'm honestly way more aimless than ever but that really doesn't matter to me because I'm learning new skills and am socializing way more than ever.

Top Bottom