• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender 3rd Grader will be allowed to go to school as a girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenon

Other than yourself, of course! Random gaffot #879843 knows best.

Because there is no neutral course of action, let's go over the options one more time:

1) Hormone blockers allow a child time to make a choice. Not every kid needs this option, of course, but one expressing strong symptoms of a certain clinically recognized disorder called "gender dysphoria" probably does!
2) Natural puberty forces (!) a child to undergo a change that they may or may not want - at this point, things indicate that they do not want! - and will most likely cause a difficult-to-reverse and excruciating period at the most important developmental age in a human being's life, as they grow into the person they are...or, you know, are forced to become something they know they aren't.

But, you know, who gives a shit about the kid. Lying little shit just wants attention, amirite, GAF?

That's a pretty big if to start providing hormone therapy to a child because something may happen. One huge red flag for me was how they said the child was more well behaved when allowed to live as a girl. So were they trying to prevent his actions before in an attempt to have him act more like a boy? So their solution was to flip a switch and label him a girl? Again I don't know the whole story but the road they are going down is probably even harder to reverse than just letting him grow up and reach his own decision. I just don't think people should be interfering with things like this, especially on a child so young.

I understand the motivation. But I think it sets a very dangerous precedent on can be done to "help" children fit better into society.

Also, PLEASE show me where I said ANYTHING about the kid seeking attention or lying.

mantidor

As long as there is some sort of psychological support and guidance I'm ok with this, if the parents just heard their boy "I want to be a girl!" and follow him on it, well... unless is just dressing up, which while very confrontational in our society is something I don't see as questionable, but hormones blockers are something else, and I wouldn't go that route without some professional guidance. The article did not mention any actual hormone therapy, did it?.

A transgender child is going to shock anyone. I personally would feel so. Is not something I would wish on my child, I would prefer for him or her to be comfortable with his or her body. Parents shouldn't be glad and happy their kid is transgender. in what world would that be desirable? rejecting your own body sounds like its own special kind of hell, even with how advance modern medicine is today that has allowed us to treat it. A mis-diagnosis is also a scenario anyone would want to avoid, wanting to wear dresses in no way means your are immediately transgender. It doesn't seem the case here but anyway, cases like this in my view require the utmost care, attention and follow up.

blackwatchplad

Neo Member
I cant say this is the FIRST time I've heard of something like this, but it's not common at all.
Honestly probably one of the most extreme cases I've heard of.
I just hope time and consideration is taken at every step of the way to make sure everything is what the kid wants and is sure of.
Here's hoping the best for her.

Has this lady been mentioned yet?

http://www.dailyfail.co.uk/news/art...orlds-youngest-transsexual-sex-change-op.html

The pop singer - born Tim - is well known in Germany for having started hormone replacement therapy as part of her gender transition by the age of 12.

'According to German law, two independent psychiatrists must confirm that the child is indeed transsexual and approve the sex change. Once that has been done, it is best to start as early as possible.

'Transsexuals experience the onset of puberty, and the physical changes it brings, as a serious trauma.

Emitan

Puberty was pretty distressing for me. Even my parents who seem oblivious to my emotional state at all time noticed I was upset.

Shouta

It was not the same for you as it was for me. Trust me.

There could be a million types of joy but there'd be like a billion types of suffering and sadness. It's gonna be different for everyone. No point in trying to see who had it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom