• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Tortolia

Two hours in and I have lost all access to the Crash() ability, it just doesn't exist in my unlocked skills anymore. Anyone else experienced this?

Am I going to have to play those two hours again? Not that I can complain, the game is great.

UZjiWUN.jpg

For what it's worth, I had the same issue (on PS4). Crash() completely vanished a few hours in. Unfortunately it didn't come back when I began my Recursion.

I'll probably wait to see if a patch comes out before I put much time into a Recursion to get the rest of the trophies.

Zeliard

For what it's worth, I had the same issue (on PS4). Crash() completely vanished a few hours in. Unfortunately it didn't come back when I began my Recursion.

I'll probably wait to see if a patch comes out before I put much time into a Recursion to get the rest of the trophies.

Jeez, that's rough. Crash() was a staple of my build till the end of the game.

I've just finished the game and now recursed. I wanted to like Bastion, but it never grabbed me. This game though - I'm loving it.

Just crashed it to the PS4 desktop in the practice room though going for the 2048 damage trophy. The damage meter had hit 1500, but everything was slowing down due to the insane combo I was attempting. Oh well. It was fun filling out the bug report with a video clip.

Finished the game. It was so good I started recursion mode right away.

But I think I'm screwed, as I tried the last boss with only Mask, Void and Help: I can't deal damage to the blocks right after the first fight.

Any ideas? I'd hate to restart from scratch.

Maybesew

Does anyone have suggestions on builds to use for the 10 limiter trophy? I got thru 1 or 2 battles, but it's been rough. I'm level 18.

Endo Punk

I adore this game! Refreshing experience, the gameplay is amazing. Love that you can mix and match abilities and tackle fights in ways that suits you. And that scenery in the ...err hammock place... woah.

Got really frustrated on speed test 2 with the 4 regen things, jerk and the young lady.... especially the fucking young lady with shit loads of cells. Tried to use time as effectively as possible but still ended up coming short. Couldn't do it within 32 seconds. In the end I just went batshit insane forgot about switch and just went to town mashing the get() move. Won with 1 second to spare. But yeah mostly the slowing down time and attacking all in the best way possible is a delight in the main game.

Rodelero

I adore this game! Refreshing experience, the gameplay is amazing. Love that you can mix and match abilities and tackle fights in ways that suits you. And that scenery in the ...err hammock place... woah.

Got really frustrated on speed test 2 with the 4 regen things, jerk and the young lady.... especially the fucking young lady with shit loads of cells. Tried to use time as effectively as possible but still ended up coming short. Couldn't do it within 32 seconds. In the end I just went batshit insane forgot about switch and just went to town mashing the get() move. Won with 1 second to spare. But yeah mostly the slowing down time and attacking all in the best way possible is a delight in the main game.

I found that one much easier when I realised Get() does more damage at long range.

Shepard

And I doubted this game before it came out... It'll probably be my Goty, that ending was perfect. Also, starting recurssion right away.

Zukuu

Banned
Way, way, way too short / not enough content. Finished it in 4 to 5 hours max. I was also very much bummed out that the little extra stuff you can do doesn't yield ANY sort of reward. I cleared the room of those 4 lady sister blew that is entirely optional... for NOTHING.

Shepard

Well, I guess once you run out of time to play games you start to value the "short" ones: Brothers was my goty last year and I finished it in 3-4 hours. I loved every moment of transistor, there's no fillers, everything runs at a great pace, so you never lose track of the story. Can't wait to play through it again and unlock everything.

Mikey Jr.

Just platinumed. Right in time for Watch Dogs.

For the 16 waves challenge, the perk that changes enemies to friends is a fucking life saver.

And
I think it's also heavily implied that they might have been interested in her for her voice in the first place. In any case, she seemed to have been singled out as a target by Sybil who was infatuated with her but was overcome with jealousy. According to the profile, she may have been overstating or lying about Red's importance to the rest of the Camerata so that they would approach her.

And it's also implied that she wanted to get the dude who ends up in the transistor killed in the process, as she was known to have disliked him for not wanting Sybil near Red and she goes on to tell the Camerata Red would be alone at the time they attacked her, which is stated to have an 85% of being a lie.

Zeliard

Just platinumed. Right in time for Watch Dogs.

For the 16 waves challenge, the perk that changes enemies to friends is a fucking life saver.

I ran with doggy + heart for almost my entire playthrough. He can pretty much keep an enemy consistently occupied, while Crash() + Jaunt() can infinitely stunlock basically any other enemy in between turns.

Sirot

Neo Member
My take on the whole thing (MASSIVE SPOILERS):

Cloudbank is a twist on the old trope of the "city in the clouds". Cloudbank is a virtual world, a city in the cloud.

When a person joins (or is born into, this part is not clear) Cloudbank, they are prompted to make two selections. These selections are not unlike the character creation seen in RPG. You choose two attributes for yourself that you want to specialize in and improve. These selections, alongside the user's consciousness creates their trace. Their link to the world of Cloudbank.

These selections give access to functions to the individual. Treat it as the API calls to the world of Cloudbank. It is no coincidence that Red's function is crush(), which makes its targets more vulnerable. It is the same function which made her singing so effective. The transistor is the unconditional access to those API calls and allowed access to those functions in their pure form.

So what is the transistor? Where did it come from? Royce in the later parts of the game described that it required a lot of math to uncover the transistor. The likely answer is that it is a piece of reverse engineered code that allows greater access to the underpinnings of Cloudbank. As the name implies, a transistor controls the flow of information. This is gets to us to the goals of the Camerata.

The city of Cloudbank is autonomous. There is no longer a single driving force behind the city and instead, it maintains its relevance through a voting system amongst the populace. The game's trailer opens up with saying everyone has a voice in the Cloudbank. This voice is the voting mechanism that allows changing every facet of the city. Unfortunately, these continuous petitions created mediocrity through majority and prevented any real, interesting change in the city. As Red's lover once remarked, the weather is always mild and nonoffensive. As the longest-running administrator of the city, Grant realized the hopeless of his position. This staleness is what the Camerata hopes to overcome. When everything changes, nothing changes.

Their first step is to take away control away from the citizens of Cloudbank. To take away their voice. This theft is embodied in Red's literal loss of her own voice. Her voice and those of many others is now trapped in the transistor. The true agent of change left in Cloudbank. And coincidentally, the only voice we really hear during our play through.

The Camerata's plan falls apart once Grant loses control over the transistor and the custodian's of Process are left without direction. Up till now, the populace gave purpose for the Process and so they interpret that void as the desire for nothing. The Process begins to transform Cloudbank into a blank slate in the hopes that it will be given direction once more. As Red plows through their ranks, the Process become more and more obsessed with Red (evident in the later parts of the game). She is all they have left to give them any real meaning.

As Cloudbank becomes a shapeless mass its users evacuate. They log off and go to "the country". There is no returning to Cloudbank. It is directly said that logging off even in ideal circumstances is a one-way trip, but now there is no point of returning. The millions of people who made the simulation feel real are now gone and to never return. So when Red gains complete control of Cloudbank and gains root status, there is nothing left for her. Cloudbank is dead and Red's lover is trapped inside the transistor. He cannot log off and will likely last as long as his mortal body will allow.

Red does not want to face the shock of entering the real world alone, nor does she want her lover to be abandoned. So she leaves the Cloudbank through "suicide" and joins her lover inside the transistor. As this point, there is a ambiguity to what happens. It appears that Red's root status transferred inside the transistor. After all, the cloudscape of the transistor now has form. There is ground and most importantly, Red and her lover have form. If Red has such capability, it is not outlandish to presume that she also had the power to log her lover and herself out of the transistor. Perhaps that last image is them out in country and reveals a happy ending.

Completed the game the other day, and I've been mulling it over since.

I do love the aesthetic of the game: the visuals are distinctive and are generally pretty good at conveying information as well. The audio is also great with the music and the voice acting.

I'm conflicted about the battle system. It allows for a lot of depth, but it is also pretty easily broken, seems like. There are a lot of combinations (especially later on) that will just let you wreck anything you come across. The combination of Void(Crash()+Spark()) and Cull(Load()+Mask()) was enough to destroy everything in the latter parts of the game for me.

The battle system just doesn't seem too balanced to me, which is a little understandable considering how many options there are, but I was disappointed by the fact.

A lot of the story was very vague, but I have to say I enjoyed it for the most part. It didn't seem interested in offering any conclusions to a lot of things, which I was mostly fine with since I was able to free to come to my own conclusions. I do wish that it hadn't been quite so vague, but it only really frustrated me when I finished the game.

Ending Spoilers
The ending was weird to me because I had no idea how I was supposed to feel about it. I didn't have enough context about what was happening and the world to understand what was going on.

I'm assuming the most basic interpretation: that Red killed herself to be absorbed into the Transistor with her lover, and that they are functionally dead, but trapped in there together.

That actually comes off as sexist to me, like Red had no reason to live without her lover, even after having been given master control of Cloudbank and how she had her music and how she liked to reach out to people through art, which would still be possible even without her voice.

I know this is typically presented as romantic, but I had problems with it here especially since he was essentially already there in the Transistor, just as his consciousness and without his body.

Was the lack of his body so devastating that she would rather die than be with only his mind? Did she feel bad that he was stuck in the sword to be with her, so she decided to trap herself as well? It came off really badly to me, and soured me when I was enjoying a lot of the game up until then, vague and unbalanced as it was.

Finally sat down to beat it. I was surprised I did. I knew it was short, but it felt like it ended really quickly. Especially since there's so much walking around and doing nothing but listening/taking in the scenery.

Used Load+cull+void and spark+jaunt+purge with switch and mask as my other actives. It made the game super easy. I would load outside of the stop (whatever its called), then load 2 more times. Blow it up with spark for insane damage. Then I'd just spark everything to keep purge up so nothing could catch me. It felt broken.

Permanently A

I have a question regarding the ending.

Why didn't Red just kill herself at the beginning? If she wanted to be with her lover, instead of going after the Camerata she could have just joined him in the Transistor which she ended up doing.

also,

What is the "Selection" they talk about in Red's lover's file?

I really love the trope subversion they did with the Camerata. Everything about it was really clever, especially how they set up
Grant to be the big bad but then changed gear

Trey

I have a question regarding the ending.

Why didn't Red just kill herself at the beginning? If she wanted to be with her lover, instead of going after the Camerata she could have just joined him in the Transistor which she ended up doing.

also,

What is the "Selection" they talk about in Red's lover's file?

I really love the trope subversion they did with the Camerata. Everything about it was really clever, especially how they set up
Grant to be the big bad but then changed gear

She tried to
one, bring back her lover to the "real world", and two, save Cloudbank from the Process. Red kind of accomplished the second thing, but she went to the country when she realized she couldn't restore her lover to her world. She was alone.

Grief.exe

I wish there had been an achievement for playing through the majority of the game with 10 or more limiters on.

Currently, there really aren't any difficult achievements to earn.

DaddyBoJangles

Neo Member
Near the end of my first play through. Dig the atmosphere, love the soundtrack, enjoy the story. Just kinda meh on the battle system. Looking forward to tackling the trials and going through a second time.

Maybesew

Got my first ever Platinum last night around 1 am. There have been other games that I could have gotten platinum, but didn't for one reason or another. Glad that this was my first.

Zocano

One of the most confusing interfaces I've ever come across in a game.

I don't understand this. This has been a consistent complaint levied against the game and I don't see where people are coming from with this. Although not exactly intuitive, I never had an issue with learning the UI and don't see where or what people might find issue with it, either.

Feep

Banned
I don't understand this. This has been a consistent complaint levied against the game and I don't see where people are coming from with this. Although not exactly intuitive, I never had an issue with learning the UI and don't see where or what people might find issue with it, either.
The sequence of buttons for uninstalling/installing/upgrading your abilities is relatively uncommon and confusing. Basically, it shouldn't have been (Select Ability From List) -> (Select Slot), but the other way around. As it is, you can't "replace" an ability (you have to uninstall it manually). It would have been more efficient to just pick the slot (main, upgrade, or passive) and choose what you want to go inside of it. Simple.

It's a relatively minor nitpick, though. I'm only two hours in, but I'm having tons of fun. (And getting jealous at how pretty it all is.)

Where can I see the effects of my current loadout?

Like, say I have Crash() + Breach(). How can I see the damage and range and stun time numbers? I can see those numbers when I first slot in the abilities, but how can I see the effects of my current loadout of functions?

Why, if I have Jaunt() selected, can I only see its combinations with Jaunt() as the active ability? What if I want to see how Jaunt() acts as an upgrade with the other functions?

And one thing I'd love to be able to do is hide the UI entirely during Turn() and make enemies appear over the environments because they can get lost behind cover or environment layers.

Those are my main gripes with the UI. It is very counter-intuitive. I love the way it looks and sounds, but its weird as hell to use and seems to be missing some basic functionality.

The sequence of buttons for uninstalling/installing/upgrading your abilities is relatively uncommon and confusing. Basically, it shouldn't have been (Select Ability From List) -> (Select Slot), but the other way around. As it is, you can't "replace" an ability (you have to uninstall it manually). It would have been more efficient to just pick the slot (main, upgrade, or passive) and choose what you want to go inside of it. Simple.

It's a relatively minor nitpick, though. I'm only two hours in, but I'm having tons of fun. (And getting jealous at how pretty it all is.)

My main issue with it is that it is so obvious that there is a problem and the solution is very simple to fix (as you pointed out a perfectly valid solution yourself). It's annoying when you have to fight against UI/UX in games, as if the field is complex and hard to figure out. When you get everything else right and then flop on the UX just baffles me.

Sami+

So... I accidentally overloaded one of my functions thanks to the limiter that does that when you uninstall. How long does it take them to come back? I swear I've been to at least four access points.

Trey

So... I accidentally overloaded one of my functions thanks to the limiter that does that when you uninstall. How long does it take them to come back? I swear I've been to at least four access points.

If you had functions in the upgrade slot, those overload too. It's one function per access point.

Zocano

I suppose I understand the complaints now, they just don't phase me all that much since these issues simply require more time to navigate menus and aren't themselves confusing (or at least not confusing to me, that is).

Why, if I have Jaunt() selected, can I only see its combinations with Jaunt() as the active ability? What if I want to see how Jaunt() acts as an upgrade with the other functions?

To be fair, you can see this, it's just under the skill description itself and not when you're slotting abilities.

Grief.exe

There is also a limiter that can make it take longer for functions to restore.

To be fair, you can see this, it's just under the skill description itself and not when you're slotting abilities.
You see its general effect '(adds area effect damage to most functions', or something along those lines), but not how that effect combines with each other function in particular.

To see how a function upgrades I have to unequip it and then select it to equip and select each of the other functions in turn. That way also shows any numbers and differences, but I lose all of this information once I actually slot a function.

So fucking pretty. When you get to the
beach hideaway place and the camera pans into the sky the sun waxes and wanes with different colors on the space grid with the music in the background, absolutely breathtaking
. The sound track is amazing as well.

valkyre

The game is absolutely amazing but I have noticed something and I would like some feedback on this.

When I am navigating the game's menus with all abilities limiters and such, my PS4's fan goes bananas. And I mean it really starts to sound like its ready for take off...

When I am leaving the menus and go back to normal gameplay, the fan noise drops back to the usual levels. Which is pretty weird right? Because it looks as if the game's menus are taxing the PS4 more than the actual gameplay..!

My PS4 works normally with every game and I havent experienced anything similar before.

Have you guys noticed this as well with this particular game?

I would appreciate feedback on this.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Picked this up last night and played the intro.
Woke up this morning and replayed the intro.

Holy fuck this game is amazing. I have the next two days off and I'm gonna binge play this, I can't wait!!! Wow, I'm seriously floored by what I've played so far.

sk3

Banned
Just wrapped up my first playthrough.

1. Both Bastion and Transistor lack in story until the very end. I think that is something they definitely need to remedy. I had no idea WTF was happening 3 hours into the game. The last hour is a total exposition dump.
2. Supergiant games are very heartfelt and I appreciate what they are going for. Their games have soul, even if they do fall into a few traps here and there (narrator, pacing problems with exposition).
3. I can't believe they are using Mono. C# is not a bad language, but come on.
4. Ending:
Red should have regained her voice. The end humming sequence would have been better.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished my first real sit down with the game. I'm loving the narrative! Its very intriguing so far, I'm reading every piece of text and being doubly eagle eyed. Its very cool and well implemented.

The combat is giving me a little trouble so far, but only because its so overwhelming. I'm getting the hang of it though. The combat system is SUPER robust! Its crazy! The turn/pause mechanism is brilliant too. I just fought a bosstype character and programming in the movement set and attacks was really engaging. I kept adding different combinations and orders of moves and attacks to see what the most efficient combo was. Its really tactile and awesome, even though all you're doing is essentially queuing up a Dragon Quest style attack turn. Its fuckin' awesome.

I never did get around to playing Bastion. I own it, but just never got to it. Transistor so far is one of the best games I've played in years. I'm a computer man so the aesthetic is really pushing my buttons.

Top Bottom