• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traveling to Tokyo...-age (two week trip) - tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furoba

AMUSIX said:
Yeah, guess I should have mentioned that the JRail pass works best for travel around the country, but I figured if you're going for two weeks, that you'd want to get out and explore.

Also, if you didn't have the pass, you might not leave the city much, while if you did, it becomes very easy to suddenly decide to go elsewhere for a day.

Taking a night bus is a whole lot cheaper though, plus it saves you a night at a hotel, and travel time as you'll be sleeping the whole way. You can even book until a few hours before departure.

A JR Rail Pass sets you back how much? 60.000 yen?

ChryZ said:
Go to a Tokyo Jihen concert. I heard it's nerdy as fuck, might be fun to spot dat freaks ;P

Have fun, J. M. Romeo ;)

Damn straight, man. I'll be taking pictures and recording the show wearing a wire and my microtrack. With some luck, the recording turns out decent.

Can't wait! >_<

Furoba said:
Taking a night bus is a whole lot cheaper though, plus it saves you a night at a hotel, and travel time as you'll be sleeping the whole way. You can even book until a few hours before departure.

A JR Rail Pass sets you back how much? 60.000 yen?

A little less than that for a 3-week pass; 57,700 yen. I believe you have the option for adding the surcharge for a sleeper cart which is a pretty low expense if you want it.

I was in Tokyo in Dec for about 5 days...stayed at the MYSTAY Ochanomizu in Akihabara

time of my life.

walked akiba through and through...stayed on the yamanote line the entire time which was a shame but with 4 full days...what can you do.

hit up Shibuya/harajuku...if you get a chance to, the Meiji Shrine is AWESOME...and the reason why Japan was opened to the western world.

Taking the train is super easy...you can buy a ticket in the station and it's an English...
you put the ticket into the slot and it pops out the other side...then when you arrive you put it back into the turnstile upon leaving and the little knee doors swing open...
if you owe more $$ you can conduct a fare adjustment...

ATMS' are in the post office (the English/international card accepting ones)
just look for JR Post signs in RED

almost everything is in English...(on the train and most folks are SUPER pleasant but some seemed to me to be kind of weirded out by a tall American, the older ones ...which is kind of funny IMO)
I love the Japanese:D

As far as food...going to a combini (FAMILY MART/7 ELEVEN)
after 7pm...they discount the ready made food for the next day and it is surprisingly good...

as for regular food...you can go to noodle/curry places and just buy a ticket at the vending machine and hand it to the host and they make what you paid for...little to no communication involved.

please take the effort to learn some phrases such as thank you, where is___
etc...the Japanese are a people of courtesy and respect and we should show the same back and will go far for you

oh, when you land..you will be most likely taking the NEX (narita express) to probably Tokyo Station
the ticket should be around $30 and you have to buy it as seats are reserved...its like a glorified AMTrack.

if you get a chance to shop for clothes...EDWIN and Uniqlo are the national staples and are awesome (there are tons others)
I recommend Uniqlo (just hit up the NY one here...:D )
Think of it as an upscale H&M at Old Navy Prices : )
they have anime themed designer clothes as well.

I think that's all I got for now..sorry if I repeated anything...I didn't read most of the posts.

and remember..your on GAF...so retro video game shopping is a must...you gotta keep it reals....right Romeo:D

Zoe

Litflynt912 said:
oh, when you land..you will be most likely taking the NEX (narita express) to probably Tokyo Station
the ticket should be around $30 and you have to buy it as seats are reserved...its like a glorified AMTrack.

Here's the Suica & N'EX deal i was talking about earlier:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

For 3500Y, you get the N'EX ticket to wherever you need to get plus a Suica card with 1500Y on it (you can always get the 500Y deposit back when you leave if you want). The Suica card was way more convenient than having to buy a ticket each time you wanted to ride the subway/train, and it can be used at a lot of convenience stores and some vending machines.

Fusebox

Banned
Definitely get that Suica/NEX pass combo. Suica is awesome for travelling around/making small purchase, they're great value with the combo deal and extremely useful.

And the Ghibli museum is magical, one of my favourite places to visit.

I've only stayed in Ginza, but for places to visit, my faves were Harajuku, Shibuya, Akhihabara and the Emporers palace is beautiful too.

Fusebox

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
The Narita Express is covered by the all-inclusive JR pass, right? I'm still considering the limo bus.

Not 100% sure, but I highly doubt it. Taking the limo bus when you can get the NEX ticket for roughly the same price in the Suica package seems pretty crazy to me though.

geez. it seems a 7 day rail pass is $500. My airfare and hotel was less than 1500 including all fees :lol any deals anywhere? how much is a day pass? and again where is akihabara in relation to tokyo? is it possible to see any temples by subway? :edit this suica pass looks cheaper is this for subways?

Fusebox

Banned
$500? Wow. Might be good value if you're going from one side of Japan to the other but otherwise somewhere between $50-100 on a Suica card will get you all around Tokyo for a week easily. Check above for the NEX/Suica package deal.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but don't stay the whole time in Tokyo. It's an interesting city, but the rest of Japan has far more to offer. Pick up a JR pass, and ride to your hearts content (once you figure out how to understand the schedules etc...which doesn't take as long as you might think).

the JR pass is 37,800 yen on the site which is about $500. understandable as its probably unlimited but if i just wanna get out of tokyo a couple days there has to be a cheaper option. what are yokohama and shinjuku like?

Cth

Most everything has been covered :D

Some additions/comments:

My wife and I went there for our honeymoon. A month before, I stopped at one of those japanese pen pal sites (http://www.japan-guide.com/local/ -- I think). They usually want to practice their english and know the local sites, so everyone benefits :)

We ended up going to a restaurant called THE LOCKUP (http://www.notquitenigella.com/2008/07/11/the-lock-up-prison-restaurant-at-shibuya/) and had a great time.

Something to keep in mind, roads are not laid out like they are in the US. So directions are going to be hard sometimes. They're not designed with roads in mind originally.

Don't panic about the subway, it's pretty easy to navigate.. but if you're paranoid, pick up an app from iTunes.

Ueno park is fun on weekends.. street performers, drama plays, mimes, etc. When we went there was some flea market type thing and a sake sampling. Picked up a lot of cheap sake for gifts as a result :)

Be sure to try some yakitori and a pineapple stick! Have fun!

EDIT: Also, when dining with locals, it's traditional to share. Just be sure if you use chopsticks that there's customs with them. I think you grab community food with the backs of your chopsticks and be sure not to leave your chopsticks standing up in rice.

EDIT 2: We booked our trip through IACE (http://www.iace-usa.com/us/index.php) .. really cheap! You can get Jrail passes there as well!

1 week JRail - 415
2 week JRail - 677

Zoe

WasteLand Soldier said:
the JR pass is 37,800 yen on the site which is about $500. understandable as its probably unlimited but if i just wanna get out of tokyo a couple days there has to be a cheaper option. what are yokohama and shinjuku like?

Yokohama is close enough that it's pretty cheap without the JR pass, and Shinjuku is within Tokyo. We were doing stuff on the cheap though, so I can't really give a good impression of them. Although I can say that there's a decent pachinko parlor near the Kannai station in Yokohama :D

Fusebox

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:

You can get to Yoko and Shinjuku for about $10 worth of Suica credit. Same with Akihabara, Harajuku and Shibuya. Unless you want to go out past Mt Fuji and Kyoto I would consider the NEX/Suica combo.

CENOBITE

Metroid Killer said:
2 weeks is plenty for Tokyo. Besides the obvious stuff in Tokyo I suggest that you spend a day in Kamakura. While the Sens&#333;-ji Asakusa and Imperial Palace are some beautiful places to view some temples in Tokyo, it's nothing compared to Kyoto and Kamakura.

I went to Kamakura on my last day and wished I would have got outside of Tokyo and Yokohama more on my one week trip.

Next time, more trips to the beautiful outskirts!

i think i'm gonna go with that suica pass. the line looks to go out pretty far on the site and looks like there's some temple action going on too. kyoto and kamakura would require the longer distance trains right? i may do something farther out atleast one day out of the trip if it isnt too expensive. i wanna try to stay under a grand in spending for the week.

Fusebox

Banned
Do it, the Suica pass was one of the most convenient things about my entire Tokyo trip.

I fucking love Tokyo btw, I could live there in an instant.

rykomatsu

Fusebox said:
Do it, the Suica pass was one of the most convenient things about my entire Tokyo trip.

The one thing that's scary about Suica/Pasmo (same thing...can be used interchangeably in Tokyo so if you can't find a Suica booth, Pasmo will accomplish the same thing) is...once you dump money into it, you lose quite a bit of perception of money so it's not difficult to accidentally end up spending a lot...resulting in frequent recharges. It's accepted at a growing number of stores for payment, so...

Jonnyram

My sister's coming over tomorrow for a fortnight and after that I believe distantmantra is also coming over. Spring is an awesome time to visit and I think you'll probably catch the Sakura at the time you're coming, unless things massively speed up over the next week.

All the advice so far is good. To be honest, while people have suggest getting out of Tokyo, there is still more than enough within Tokyo, if you don't want to spend endless hours on trains and buses. And yeah, definitely go to Kamakura for a day, and rent bicycles from the shop outside the station - they'll give you a map and you can go and hunt the shrines yourselves. It's awesome fun. If you dig games, you'll love the Triforce spotting :)

rykomatsu

WasteLand Soldier said:
would someone kindly be able to give me train/subway directions to the new otani hotel from narita airport?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl oops took out my search lol. K&#333;jimachi Station is close to it.

Skyliner or Keio line (Skyliner is the express train that runs on the Keio line) to Ueno Station
From Ueno, take Keihin Tohoku line to Kanda (or, if you've sent your luggage to the hotel already, you can walk from Ueno to Kanda via Akihabara...one long road).
From Kanda, take the Chuo line to Yotsuya, and walk to the hotel.

thanks! are these all lines included on the suica pass? the kamakura suggestion is cool too. I'm pretty sure it'll be Tokyo, Akihabara, Shibuya, Yokohama and Kamakura. I think I could get as far up as Sendai too. I kinda wish I had flown into Haneda airport instead because it looks closer but oh well. more sights to see i guess. :lol

rykomatsu

WasteLand Soldier said:
thanks! are these all lines included on the suica pass? the kamakura suggestion is cool too. I'm pretty sure it'll be Tokyo, Akihabara, Shibuya, Yokohama and Kamakura. I think I could get as far up as Sendai too. I kinda wish I had flown into Haneda airport instead because it looks closer but oh well. more sights to see i guess. :lol

Pasmo/Suica should be useable on all the lines I mentioned...I don't remember if Suica/Pasmo cards were available at Narita, though, so you may need to buy a ticket with cash there. I think Skyliner is like 1910yen and Keio (non-express) is around 1100yen to Ueno.

Shirokun

WasteLand Soldier said:
would someone kindly be able to give me train/subway directions to the new otani hotel from narita airport?

You're staying at the New Otani? That's right behind my school! :D

It's quite a nice hotel from what I've seen. Make sure you check out the garden there, which happens to be quite a bit older than the hotel itself.

Litflynt912 said:
and remember..your on GAF...so retro video game shopping is a must...you gotta keep it reals....right Romeo:D

But of course.

About the JR Pass, I'm almost sure that there is a JR line from Narita to Tokyo that is covered with the pass. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Gameboy415

If you plan to go shopping for games and such in Akihabara, I have one essential piece of advice:

MAKE A LIST BEFORE YOU GO.

The first time I went to Akihabara, I didn't buy anything because I was so overwhelmed and couldn't decide what to get.

Zoe said:
Here's the Suica & N'EX deal i was talking about earlier:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

For 3500Y, you get the N'EX ticket to wherever you need to get plus a Suica card with 1500Y on it (you can always get the 500Y deposit back when you leave if you want). The Suica card was way more convenient than having to buy a ticket each time you wanted to ride the subway/train, and it can be used at a lot of convenience stores and some vending machines.

came to post this, fantastic deal

Darren870

elitehebrew said:

This.

Just watch out for the he-shes at some places. If you are unsure, ask the bartender.

Been to Tokyo 5 times, last time I went was 2 years ago. Might have to plan another trip for this summer.

Each time was better and crazier then then last.

I've been to tokyo a few times and compiled a bit of a map based on my travels. I also imported chunks from other people's maps (including an excellent Akihabara map). It also maps out the locations of Western-Friendly ATMS, feel free to use it in your travels.

Jack Random's Guide to Tokyo

Also, if you happen to have a Blackberry, iphone, or android, you should be able to bring this up as a layer in google maps while you're there, Tokyo + GPS = outstanding.

Articate

Banned
I'm sitting here taking notes of all the tips, trying to sort out an itinary. Looking at maybe taking a trip to Kyoto for a day or two. Really big thanks for all the advice so far. I'll post when the itinary is getting solid and see if anyone thinks I'm doing stuff in the wrong order ;D

Thanks for the tips on the Suica&NEX pass - definitely picking that up.

Clott

ME and Articate will be going, I am still working out my visa, they wanted to be real hard-asses at the embassy. Americans dont even need a Visa to go to japan, they just go and as soon as they land they are granted one, but even if I have a green card they still gotta make me jump through hoops.

Gibbo

Will be there next week :D

Are there any affordable Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo? I'll be going to the L'Atelier in Roppongi for lunch on Monday (Pretty shocked at the premium one has to pay for dinner over lunch!)

Also, is free wi-fi available at pretty much everywhere in Tokyo? Should come in handly if I bring along my iphone

Zoe

Gibbo said:
Also, is free wi-fi available at pretty much everywhere in Tokyo? Should come in handly if I bring along my iphone

We couldn't find any... there's wi-fi, but all it leads to is a launch page.

Shirokun

Jack Random said:
Also, my avatar is the sign outside of Muteke Mario, a Super Mario themed bar in Shinjuku. The Wednesday night bartender is pretty damn cool, and i believe he runs the place. Check it out.

http://www.mutekimario.com/

Note: it's on my map

That.Is.Amazing
I'm ashamed that I didn't know about this until now. Thanks for the heads up. :D

I stayed in the Shang Ra La hotel when I was in Tokyo. It was awesome but a bit expensive. I walked around Ginza, Harajuku, Shabuya, Akihabara, Shinjuku and drank at some bars in Roopongai. I went to dinner at some place called "Ninja" because the concierge recommended it to us dumb tourists. The food was good though.

I wish I went to some more night clubs. How is the night club scene in Tokyo? I just went to some bars but I would have liked to go to some mega clubs being from NYC and all. Are the clubs a pain to get into to? like do I need to be on a list? have 10 chicks with me and buy a bottle? or can I just walk in? and what are the "trendy" night clubs? I need to go back soon.

Host Samurai said:
I stayed in the Shang Ra La hotel when I was in Tokyo. It was awesome but a bit expensive. I walked around Ginza, Harajuku, Shabuya, Akihabara, Shinjuku and drank at some bars in Roopongai. I went to dinner at some place called "Ninja" because the concierge recommended it to us dumb tourists. The food was good though.
I went to ninja in 2006, agreed on the food, pretty good. Also, little known fact: Ninja has a location in NYC

WasteLand Soldier said:
so this visa thing. i'll be fine with just a passport right? whats a visa for?
Visa is just the paperwork you file when you arrive, wherin you pretty much say, "im not bringing in a million in cash, fresh fruit, and/or weapons"

awesome. i havent travelled outside of the country since i was like 7 :lol so another question. i've been thinking i'll be fine just using my debit card during the trip along with some cash but some are recommending travelers checks. thats only really necessary for more well..."dangerous" trips right? :lol

Zoe

WasteLand Soldier said:
awesome. i havent travelled outside of the country since i was like 7 :lol so another question. i've been thinking i'll be fine just using my debit card during the trip along with some cash but some are recommending travelers checks. thats only really necessary for more well..."dangerous" trips right? :lol

Eh... I wouldn't go the debit card route cause then you'll have to pay ridiculous conversion fees each time you use it versus converting a wad of cash at once.

Travelers Checks give you the security of being able to recover your money in case you lose the checks. Also, there tend to be restrictions on what kinds of bills you can exchange. We were stuck with 8000 yen at the end of our trip cause nobody exchanges less than 10,000.

Kola

Furoba said:

1. It is not possible to sleep on a night bus imo. :) But still, it's a good bargain. You can sleep at home, not in Japan.

2. Tokyo Tower admission tickets are a rip-off. I would prefer the Tokyo Metropolitan skyscraper. It's for free and you still get a fantastic view over Shinjuku.

3. Visit the Earthquake Museum in Ikebukuro, which allows you to experience a 7.0 earthquake, and the Parasitological Museum in Meguro (both of them are free of charge).

4. The Ghibli Museum in Mitaka is nice and all, if you're a Ghibli fan that is, but remember: Like the JR Railpass, tickets have to be bought abroad in advance. You can buy the Ghibli ticket in Japan but I wouldn't recommend this if you can't read Japanese AND if you don't have a Japanese phone number. It may be quite complicated to buy these at a Lawson's if you're not capable of reading Japanese.

5. Most important: Visit Kyoto! Staying two weeks in Japan without visiting Kyoto is just laughable. Really. Kansai is really important.

P.S. Ueno Park is just a concrete hell. If you compare it to European parks you might be quite disappointed imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom