• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traveling to Tokyo...-age (two week trip) - tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Kola said:
2. Tokyo Tower admission tickets are a rip-off. I would prefer the Tokyo Metropolitan skyscraper. It's for free and you still get a fantastic view over Shinjuku.

Roppongi Hills is pretty nice. Just about everybody I've talked to says to go to somewhere other than Tokyo Tower. That way you can actually see it :lol

24248_10100174857835370_7950338_59404231_7317199_n.jpg

conversion fees? 'the hell? :lol even just paying at a restaraunt say? i gotta check with my bank on that one. hell i need to call verizon to make sure i'll have a plan for there. hoping i'll be able to use my GPS and google maps

Fusebox

Banned
I reckon you should try to convert as much of your cash into yen as possible before you go, you don't want to be stuffing around with western bank cards in small Japanese restaurants. Turn as much cash as you can gather into yen at the airport you depart from.

Fusebox said:
I reckon you should try to convert as much of your cash into yen as possible before you go, you don't want to be stuffing around with western bank cards in small Japanese restaurants. Turn as much cash as you can gather into yen at the airport you depart from.

Apparently converting to yen before leaving gives you the worst rate. This site has a lot input on exchanging yen, and apparently exchanging traveler's cheques inside of Japan is the best way to go in most cases.

http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2009/08/changing-dollars-into-yen-2009-update/

Zoe

Yeah, the US rate for exchange was 79 yen to the dollar while in Japan it was closer to 89 yen to the dollar.

Fusebox

Banned
Cheers for that, good article. I think my situation was slightly different as I was getting it converted in Australia not the US.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Shirokun said:
Visit the Keio Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku, 45th floor for the sky bar from "Lost in Translation"

No it's not, that scene was filmed in Park Hyatt Tokyo. I absolutely love this hotel by the way. Very luxurious and exclusive atmosphere to the whole place. I ate dinner there but would love to spend a night.

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government building in Shinjuku also has a free observatory, if you're feeling cheap. If not, check out the Mori building at Roppongi Hills for one of the best views in the city. Tokyo Tower is neat, but it's not very high, and you can't see Tokyo Tower. :D

The Met Gov observatory is nice because it's free, but I would suggest also visiting the Sky Deck at Roppongi Hills. It costs money, but it's open-air and has splendid views.

Shirokun

SnowWolf said:
No it's not, that scene was filmed in Park Hyatt Tokyo. I absolutely love this hotel by the way. Very luxurious and exclusive atmosphere to the whole place. I ate dinner there but would love to spend a night.

Thanks for the correction. Don't know how I got those two mixed up. Anyway, I wholly agree with you.

My wife and are going to be in Tokyo April 4th through the 13th. On our honeymoon in 2006 we spent a lot of time in Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima and Miyajima. This time around we're planning on visiting Kamakura, Yokohama, Enoshima and Nikko in addition to wandering around the city. We're even going to a Giants game with DCharlie.

Zoe

demosthenes said:
Just wondering for those that have gone. Best airline to get to Japan and how early should I plan to buy tickets?

Everybody I know goes through a travel agent like IACE. They got us a good deal on my ticket considering it was bought less than a week in advance.

This thread is perfect for me since I’ve wanted to go to Tokyo for a really long time....but just recently I’ve thought about it seriously and I think I’m gonna finally just put my foot down and go all by myself! :D

I’m considering doing a Contiki Tour (not even sure if you can do one in Tokyo!), but if I were to go in May would that be too late for the Cherry Blossoms? What would be the latest I could go to get a glimpse?

Tricky I Shadow said:
This thread is perfect for me since I’ve wanted to go to Tokyo for a really long time....but just recently I’ve thought about it seriously and I think I’m gonna finally just put my foot down and go all by myself! :D

I’m considering doing a Contiki Tour (not even sure if you can do one in Tokyo!), but if I were to go in May would that be too late for the Cherry Blossoms? What would be the latest I could go to get a glimpse?

http://japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html

You're gonna need to go to Hokkaido.

SnowWolf said:
This man speaks the truth.

That said, Keio plaza is quite a nice hotel in its own right, and a hell of a lot more affordable then the Park Hyatt. I've stayed at the Keio on my last two trips and thoroughly recommend it.

Astute listeners from the Gaming side may remember it's also where Giant Bomb stayed during TGS.

Saya

The observation deck of the Sunshine 60 building in Ikebukuro is also pretty awesome. Plus, you could also visit Namja Town when you are in that area and try to to eat some weird ice cream flavors in Ice Cream City. Last time I was there, I tried the garlic, chicken and crab ice cream. The chicken one was pretty good actually haha.

How good is Tokyo /Japan for a single traveller.

Everyone I know can't afford it or want to do a lads holiday in some shitty Greek/Cyrpiot island. I do have a friend there who I talk to in and out, I used to go to uni with him and he is a fellow geek, also I know a girl there who I used to go to college with who wanted me to go and visit her. So it might be time!

rykomatsu

Tricky I Shadow said:

Late April in the Kanto area is probably the latest you'd be able to see Cherry Blossoms, and even then, you won't see much. They should be hitting full bloom in a week, give or take. If a strong storm comes through, it'll shorten the season quite a bit too.

Mecha_Infantry said:

Depends on what you mean by "good". Traveling around Japan, single, isn't bad for the most part, especially if you enjoy spontaneity. If something catches your eye, you're free to satiate your curiosity. There is a downside to single travel, however...and that's lodging. A lot (though not all) charge per night per person, double occupancy, rather than per room...so it really blows in that regards if you're traveling alone...

Jack Random said:
Visa is just the paperwork you file when you arrive, wherin you pretty much say, "im not bringing in a million in cash, fresh fruit, and/or weapons"

um.. isn't the visa what you need to be able to arrive? Sure the passport gives you the ability to travel, but a visa is the authoization to enter the country. You need one BEFORE you get to the country. I went to the consulate to get mine last week, and it'll be finished processing tomorrow. If you plan on getting out of the airport its probably a good idea... its really important.

I leave in 6 Days >.< Is tokyo a nice place to live? I know most people are going over on holiday..

shamo42

shanshan310 said:
um.. isn't the visa what you need to be able to arrive? Sure the passport gives you the ability to travel, but a visa is the authoization to enter the country. You need one BEFORE you get to the country. I went to the consulate to get mine last week, and it'll be finished processing tomorrow. If you plan on getting out of the airport its probably a good idea... its really important.

Depending on what's your nationality you don't need a visa before boarding if you don't stay more than 3 months. Germans can even stay up to 6 months. You just fill out a form in the airplane where you declare not to carry illegal items or huge amounts of cash and get a visa after landing. It's a matter of minutes.

I know a girl who made a short trip to SKorea after 3 months, reentered Japan and got another visa for 3 months. Don't rely on this to always work as Japanese authorities are not stupid. IMO it's just best to go to the immigration office and ask about a possible extension of your current visa. If you never got into any trouble and have good reasons, they might grant your wish.

My favorite observatories in Tokyo:

1) WTC Building

Great view. And there are tables. You can bring some food from nearby convinis and sit with friends (or date) in front of the huge windows while watching the sun slowly set behind Mt.Fuji.

2) Roof of Mori Tower

Great view. No windows. Couples get a free cover to protect from the wind.

3) Tokyo metropolitan government building

Free. Nice view. Useful Tourist information center on the lower floors. The building itself is in an awesome location.

4) Tokyo Tower. Not worth it imo. Tons of people, especially on the weekend or national holidays.

Haven't tried the Sunshine 60 building's observatory in Ikebukuo yet. Thanks for the tip.

shanshan310 said:

Residents of many countries don't need to get a visa to enter Japan as a tourist.

In principle, foreigners wishing to enter Japan (with the exception of shipping and airline crews) are required to apply at an overseas Japanese diplomatic establishment (embassy or consulate) for a visa to be stamped in or attached to their passport valid for travel to Japan. Under Japan's Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act (hereafter referred to as the Immigration Control Act), it is stipulated that any foreigner wishing to enter or land in Japan must possess a valid passport and a visa obtained from an embassy or consulate. In other words, when foreigners apply to an Immigration Inspector (immigration officer) at a port of entry or departure (hereafter referred to as a port of entry) of an airport or seaport for an examination for landing, one of the conditions that they must meet is possession of a valid visa. Accordingly, if a foreigner does not possess the necessary visa, in principle he or she is not granted permission to enter Japan.
&#12288;&#12288;Please note, however, that as of October 2005 Japan had taken measures concerning the waiver of visa requirements with 62 countries and regions. Nationals of these countries and regions holding valid passports can apply for landing permission for short-term stays for such purposes as sightseeing and business trips without obtaining a visa. On the other hand, cases involving paid activities in Japan are excluded. Also, the waiver of visa requirements are not applicable in the case of stays exceeding the period of time stipulated in each arrangement. In such cases, it is necessary for foreigners to obtain a visa.

If you're from the US, you can stay in Japan for up to 90 days as a tourist without a visa. When you arrive at Narita, you show your passport and you're granted landing permission, which is stamped in your passport, allowing you remain in country for up to 90 days. I noticed that you're from Australia, you can stay up to 6 months without applying for a visa, as long as you're not planning on going to school or working in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Japan

We're leaving in less than two weeks, and I need some recommendations for places to eat in Tokyo. Cheap (2,000 yen or less per person) is preferable, but we might splurge and do an expensive dinner one night.

Zoe

distantmantra said:
We're leaving in less than two weeks, and I need some recommendations for places to eat in Tokyo. Cheap (2,000 yen or less per person) is preferable, but we might splurge and do an expensive dinner one night.

Sit-down restaurants or fast food/counter style?

Articate

Banned
I'm so psyched. We're leaving in a week. Got a good itiniary up, and gonna order tickets to the ghibi(?) museum today. So psyched. My hotel has a FRICKIN AQUA-WORLD AND 11 SCREEN CINEMA.

Seriously. I could eat at a different resturant every day at the hotel alone.

Zoe said:
Sit-down restaurants or fast food/counter style?

Both! Tempura places especially. I have a nice list of ramen, tonkatsu and okonomiyaki places already.

We weren't very adventurous last time around. Ate dinner at three or four Japanese places, but ended up falling back on the safety net of Mos Burger and 7-11 a lot.

Aurelius

I’m going this summer (16/7 until 9/8). This will be my second trip to Japan and I’ll be staying a week in Tokyo before heading out to Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto en Hakone.

I was planning on going with my girlfriend. But since we broke up, I will be going alone. Plane ticket and hotels are booked en payed for anyway. I find it both exciting and scary at the same time. :D

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
distantmantra said:

Maguro Bito is the best kaiten sushi (conveyor belt sushi) restaurant in Japan, as voted in a TV poll. Can't say I disagree, the quality is amazing. It's located a short walk away from the Asakusa Sensoji temple so if you're going to be in the area anyway, I would stop by for a meal. Not difficult to google for directions.

Aurelius said:
I’m going this summer (16/7 until 9/8). This will be my second trip to Japan and I’ll be staying a week in Tokyo before heading out to Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto en Hakone.

If you didn't go last time, you definitely need to visit Miyajima.

Zoe

distantmantra said:
Both! Tempura places especially. I have a nice list of ramen, tonkatsu and okonomiyaki places already.

We weren't very adventurous last time around. Ate dinner at three or four Japanese places, but ended up falling back on the safety net of Mos Burger and 7-11 a lot.

I really liked Yoshinoya and Coco Ichi Curry for counter-style places.

Shirokun

distantmantra said:

Sukiya for cheap gyuudon(and the best out of the big three IMO). Other than that, I dont have alot to offer. I:ve been to a number of great places, but the names tend to escape me.

Mecha_Infantry said:

Everyone I know can't afford it or want to do a lads holiday in some shitty Greek/Cyrpiot island. I do have a friend there who I talk to in and out, I used to go to uni with him and he is a fellow geek, also I know a girl there who I used to go to college with who wanted me to go and visit her. So it might be time!

I went to Tokyo by myself in December for 5 days. I only spoke about a handful of phrases and stayed in Akihabara and leeched off of the Yamanote line during the week I was there...

I exchange about $500 here before I left (as an american express customer, that service is free, fyi) and in Japan, the post offices have international ATM's and are in english(note: the ATM's in the P.O. will not look like normal ATM's but like Mecha-like Trash Cans...go with it..)

It was easy...just keep your head up and don't be afraid to point! : )
when it came to eating, curry/noodle places have vending machines where you buy your ticket and just hand it to them and they make what you bought (usually have pictures to match)

you'll be fine...go for it..there's always a million reasons not to do something

I've had some developments in my planned Japan trip (see http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387940 for the original thread). My friend has had to bailout due to his job, and I'm not sure if I should do this trip solo. This coinciding with an early cherry blossom season has me wondering if I should take this as a sign and just postpone until next year. It looks like the blossoms will have started falling from all of the popular sites within a few days of my arrival. I guess one plus is that since I'll be home in April, I can try and buy a house before the housing credit expires :lol

What say you, GAF? Wait until 2011, or go it alone and business hotel it up?

Valkyr Junkie said:
I've had some developments in my planned Japan trip (see http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387940 for the original thread). My friend has had to bailout due to his job, and I'm not sure if I should do this trip solo. This coinciding with an early cherry blossom season has me wondering if I should take this as a sign and just postpone until next year. It looks like the blossoms will have started falling from all of the popular sites within a few days of my arrival. I guess one plus is that since I'll be home in April, I can try and buy a house before the housing credit expires :lol

What say you, GAF? Wait until 2011, or go it alone and business hotel it up?

If you're getting to Japan April 2nd, you'll see plenty of cherry blossoms. I'd say go for it unless you're really nervous about going by yourself.

On top of all the recommendations here I'd have to recommend going to Nippori (it has two stations on the Yamanote). My guidebook (LP) had a great walk which takes you from one station to the other passing temples, shrines and the like, there's also a massive graveyard inhabited by an army of cats and a few ravens, it's quiet and cool as hell usually.

I went in Summer last year for Comiket. Stayed a week in Gotanda (handy for the train to the Big Sight) and it was one of the best holidays I've ever had, there's tons to do and I wished I'd stayed the extra week to see everything. As people have said Suica or PASMO passes are convenient and fun to use (I loved being able to just tap my wallet on the machines without even opening it) see if you can get a good food guide as Tokyo has some of the best eating places around. Akiba is somewhat disappointing since they de-pedestrianised it, but it's still great fun (harsh on your wallet though).

Also, one your way back, I'd personally recommend getting the train to Narita from Nippori. At Ueno, the platforms for the NEX and Skyliner are in a different station building that's 100 or so yards down the street, a pain if your carrying heavy luggage (like I was) and makes it weasy to miss the train. At Nippori, the two sections are connected by a bridge and are in the same building so it's much easier to transfer between trains. Also, on your way back don't be an eijit (like I nearly was) and REMEMBER how long it takes for the trains to reach Narita, Skyliner takes around 50 minutes and the Limited Express an Hour and a bit. Though they may have introduced other services since that are faster, (someone correct me if this is the case please). I nearly missed my flight because I slept in and underestimated how long it would take to get to the airport. Even though it's a Tokyo airport, it's really far away from Tokyo city centre (further than Heathrow in London or JFK in New York for example) so be aware!

You'll love it though.

Dark Machine said:
On top of all the recommendations here I'd have to recommend going to Nippori (it has two stations on the Yamanote). My guidebook (LP) had a great walk which takes you from one station to the other passing temples, shrines and the like, there's also a massive graveyard inhabited by an army of cats and a few ravens, it's quiet and cool as hell usually.

My wife and I actually stayed at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan in Yanaka, which is a short walk from Nippori station back in 2006. We'll be staying there again on our upcoming trip (April 4th through the 13th). Here's a video of the walk through the Yanaka Ginza, ending right at our hotel. It's a great traditional neighborhood right in the heart of Tokyo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43pqCbiKO6w

Aurelius

A lot of people are recommending Ueno Park. Last time I was there it didn’t really impress me. We went on a Friday evening and walked around the pound with the water lilies. There were al lot of food stalls and japanese girls wearing kimono’s, but also a lot of homeless people.

Did I miss something? Did I go at the wrong time?

Aurelius

distantmantra said:
Anyone going to Japan shortly should keep an eye on the Dollar:Yen ratio... it went from $1:90.6 yen last night to $1:92 yen right now.
I'm keeping an eye on the euro myself.

When I went 2 years ago it was 100 yen = 0,60 euro.
Now its 100 yen = 0,85 euro.

Auch.

Zoe

WasteLand Soldier said:
do i need any type of power converters for outlets there? i mean i've imported systems and they work fine in the US but does it work the other way around?

No. However, most of the outlets won't have the ground prong. We got around this by buying a thin, cheap adapter that sticks out so you can plug something in with the ground prong sticking out.

EDIT: Top right corner:

24124_10100178604576870_7906828_59512194_5059568_n.jpg

Brofist

Zoe said:
No. However, most of the outlets won't have the ground prong. We got around this by buying a thin, cheap adapter that sticks out so you can plug something in with the ground prong sticking out.

Or you can buy a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter in any 100 yen shop.

rykomatsu

distantmantra said:

Tsunahachi (&#12388;&#12394;&#20843;) is a pretty good tempura chain in the Tokyo area, albeit slightly pricey. Usually visit them atleast once on every trip I take out to Japan now.

One thing I HIGHLY recommend (I seriously love this place) is called Takohachi (&#12383;&#12371;&#20843;). No relation to Tsunahachi...just coincidental. They serve something called Akashi-yaki which is remotely similar to Takoyaki, but it uses a much lighter batter made primarily of egg. This is dipped into a light fish broth before eating. Usually visit the one in Ueno Matsuzakaya 2 or 3 times every trip :p Basically considered to be the progenitor to takoyaki, but imho far better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom