• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treyarch pull Nuketown 2025 pre-order bonus map in Black Ops 2(Up: Back, in playlist)

I don't understand. What's the benefit from Treyarch's perspective, for doing this?

After the event appearing on all important gaming-sites (free PR) and after the following re-release of the map:

"Oh my god, thank you Treyarch, you are the best!!!"

"you really listen to what fans want!!"

"we love you!"

Kusagari

They couldn't open it to normal rotation, because anyone that didn't have the map would get booted from the party every time it came up. If they gave it to everyone, the people who pre-ordered would - though they lose absolutely nothing - complain bitterly about that.

Other than leaving the 24/7 playlist active all the time, doesn't seem like there was a good way out. Maybe that should be a lesson for them next time - don't lock away maps as a "bonus"

Why couldn't they just make it so that the map wouldn't show up if people playing didn't have the map?

I swear that's what they did with the DLC maps in Black Ops.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I can't believe people are getting into such a huff about a free map, but then again, CoD...

There's nothing "It's CoD" about this. It's a friggin' pre-order bonus that got yanked for no apparent reason. If they outlined this by saying that "Nuketown 2025 won't be available after the first double XP weekend" then, this might fly. But what they did is crummy and kinda senseless.

I've played about two rounds of Nuketown 2025 on Black Ops 2 and while I don't like the map now, I can understand why people would be upset. Think of it this way: Ubisoft promises a free mission for AC3, but lo and behold, they yank that mission after a week of release only with the promise that it will be back eventually. Or something to that effect.

Seriously, GAF is known to hate a ton of things for no reason...this is NOT one of those times.

hahahaha
BudpK.png

That's really gross dude

FStop7

Banned
Stupid decision. If their concern is people using it for boosting then they should leave it up with reduced or no XP. But to remove it entirely? Why? Why take away a thing that people paid for?

Stoops.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Why couldn't they just make it so that the map wouldn't show up if people playing didn't have the map?

I swear that's what they did with the DLC maps in Black Ops.
Every CoD since MW2 has worked that way. It's not a technical issue, as this wouldn't split the userbase any more than DLC would. For whatever reason, it seems that Treyarch doesn't want the map in the regular rotation.

FStop7

Banned
I don't even like Nuketown but I found that playlist to be of more fun and value than the stupid fucking zombies that Treyarch are so up their own asses over.

Fantasmo

Stupid decision. If their concern is people using it for boosting then they should leave it up with reduced or no XP. But to remove it entirely? Why? Why take away a thing that people paid for?

Stoops.

They have a playlist with 1/2 xp so they can easily do that. They don't want to.

McLovin

Not defending them but the map sucks anyway. I did the double xp thing for a few hours, but I couldn't take it anymore then that. You're alive for 5-10 seconds and you try to get as many kills as possible before dying from the inevitable explosion, yeah no thanks.

Malice215

Haven't enough people bought this game already to warrant the map be put into regular rotation or maintain its playlist?

Is $500 mil not enough for me not to have restrictions on the content that I purchased?

FStop7

Banned
Haven't enough people bought this game already to warrant the map be put into regular rotation or maintain its playlist?

Is $500 mil not enough for me not to have restrictions on the content that I purchased?

Kotick's been lying low for too long, he's looking to rekindle some of that heel heat.

kotick-from-forbes-490.jpg

Why would they do this? Why doesn't this map work like any of their other additional maps do and will? Or are they going to suddenly yank those out of rotation as well?

JimFear

Banned
i used to say treyarch was an ok developpers but ... i dont get why they do this? The only way i can see this is that they dont want us to level up too fast (cause yeah the map is so small that you lvl up faster in this map by doing more points) to play longer on the game just to sold us DLC.

wtf?? if you believe things cant get worse ...

Well, they already did something really dirty to those that purchased the Wii U version. They had Nuketown 2025 listed on their site for the Wii U version. A guy gets the game early only to find that there's no Nuketown code inside the case. Activision then removes any mention of Nuketown for the Wii U from their website, and doesn't even explain why they advertised it to begin with.

Kind of glad I turned down my order now. I was only getting the game for MP since the black ops series has little interest for me in regards to single player but if this is the sign of MP to come then screw it I won't buy the game till its budget at my GFs store.

Such a shitty tactic that has no defense

orznge

Banned
there is absolutely no reason for this being done and anyone who disagrees even slightly, or tells someone that it isn't wrong should be banned immediately

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wait...so after hyping it up as a pre order bonus it's just gone until "special" events?

Only for those that didn't pre-order. People that have the map can still load it for those that don't in custom games. That's the problem. The only way non-pre-orders can play the map is with that playlist.

Really, it should just be released as a free content update since locking maps and shit to pre-orders only is scuzzy.

I think too many people wanted to play it or something

So, let me get this straight.

They want to sell more preorders, so they put out a popular map as an incentive. It becomes just as wildly popular as they hoped. They sell a ton of their preorders (our end of the deal), we get the map they promised (their end of the deal). Now after they get what they wanted, they pull the map?

WTF?

EDIT: and how fucking laughable is it that they called the playlist Nuketown 24/7 and it wasn't even up for a full 7? Fuck off.

orznge

Banned
So, let me get this straight.

They want to sell more preorders, so they put out a popular map as an incentive. It becomes just as wildly popular as they hoped. They sell a ton of their preorders (our end of the deal), we get the map they promised (their end of the deal). Now after they get what they wanted, they pull the map?

WTF?

EDIT: and how fucking laughable is it that they called the playlist Nuketown 24/7 and it was even up for a full 7?

it might hurt the feelings of the the people who made the other maps

Stoops.

I don't get why they would be concerned over boosting. Granted I didn't even get a chance to play Nuketown 24/7, but with all the past Call of Duty's there were other regular game modes that got you a lot more experience points compared to vanilla TDM. With point streaks being used now, you'd figure the objective-based game modes, like past CoD's, would be the game types where you can boost your stats the easiest.

MW3 had 16 maps and was $60. BO2 has 14 maps + Nuketown and is $60. I'd say we most certainly did pay for it. Just because a corporation tells you that it's "free" doesn't mean that it actually is.

Black Ops II without Nuketown: $60
Black Ops II with Nuketown: $60

I fail to see how you paid any more for this specific map. Previous games having more maps is irrelevant.

orznge

Banned
Black Ops II without Nuketown: $60
Black Ops II with Nuketown: $60

I fail to see how you paid any more for this specific map.

is there a reason you feel you need to come into a thread where people are complaining about having a feature that was advertised in an effort to get them to buy the game was removed not even a week after the game's launch? I swear, there's no Activision shareholders here who are going to give you stock if they see you do free PR and damage control for them.

Top Bottom