• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triple H |OT| February Wrasslin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

With William Regal as play by play.

maybe we can have a third..

13.jpg

sajj316

Neither loss will hurt the guy.

Hogan-Rock was in 2002, which is roughly three years after Rock started to boom. Cena's been the top WWE guy since 2004-2005. It's 2012. A loss would not kill Cena, nor would it hurt to win. Those are not alike situations.

What Cena never had was the top guy putting him over. He was shot to the top and shoved down our thoughts without this "transition". That was really my point. The Rock was well established when Hogan and Austin did the job at Wrestlemania.

jmdajr

What Cena never had was the top guy putting him over. He was shot to the top and shoved down our thoughts without this "transition". That was really my point. The Rock was well established when Hogan and Austin did the job at Wrestlemania.

Didn't HHH lose to him at Mania? 22?

trying to look back here.... before that Cena beat Chris Jericho, Kurt Angel, JBL, and Edge...

Regarding Eve, I seriously wonder what is going to be the long term impact of her character. Maybe it will be nothing, or maybe she might be branded as a 'hoski' any time she steps into the ring.

Didn't HHH lose to him at Mania?

I remember we were still in full-blown "fuck you Cena" mode, and everyone in Chicago was like "WTF HHH TAPPED OUT!?" when John won. The crowd reaction shots are hilarious.

At this point, there's really nowhere else for Cena to go. He's never gonna be Hogan, much less Austin, but he's also the company's biggest asset and it really doesn't matter if he loses to the Rock.

knee

Yeah, that seems likely, although that seems like it would cause a blockage for some of the cheaper seats... also, I guess this means no weird lightcube thing getting lowered into the ring this year. :/

Dolphins Stadium had the biggest HD screens in the NFL before Cowboys Stadium was built. There will be no visibility problems.

Striker

I think more than anything Kurt Angle elevated him in a huge way.

Regarding Eve, I seriously wonder what is going to be the long term impact of her character. Maybe it will be nothing, or maybe she might be branded as a 'hoski' any time she steps into the ring.

I think she needs some wrestler to manage, and for him to face Zack Ryder at Mania. Ryder wins, Eve faces defeat -- they possibly continue the feud until the next PPV or it ends. But she still should remain heel and be a valet/manager. She can still wrestler, no harm in that, but her being a heel she needs a guy with her. The problem I see is, who can they pick? Somebody like Cody Rhodes certainly does not need her. I would say Jack Swagger, but he's already with Vickie. Not sure.

BFIB

Watching Raw from last night. Wow, what an odd crowd. Chanting "What!?" at the Undertaker. Man, that chant is getting old.

sajj316

trying to look back here.... before that Cena beat Chris Jericho, Kurt Angel, JBL, and Edge...

None of those guys are at the level of Austin, Hogan, or Rock. Not even Ultimate H. Undertaker is not going to lose at Wrestlemania. In my opinion, in order for Cena to achieve god-tier status in wrestling, he'll need to beat one of them. Austin will do that for Punk eventually.

I can't believe I'm saying this .. for the record.

jmdajr

None of those guys are at the level of Austin, Hogan, or Rock. Not even Ultimate H. Undertaker is not going to lose at Wrestlemania. In my opinion, in order for Cena to achieve god-tier status in wrestling, he'll need to beat one of them. Austin will do that for Punk eventually.

Yeah sure, but it's not like they were around anyway for Cena to do battle with.

edit: Wow look at Taker. Still, I bet he still has more hair than HBK.

sajj316

it's possible, I started looking at the PPV timeline after Cena beats JBL for the title.

Let me know what you find, I'm interested in knowing who Cena put over versus being put over.

If my memory serves me right, Cena did not have the caliber of talent that Rock, Austin, and Hogan had in their primes.

Remus

I know and they don't leave until security tells them to, and even then they still stick around.

She left right away on her own.

Uh.. have you been ANY live shows? Of course people leave on their own, nobody stands at that spot like an idiot, even kids know better.

f3niks

Watching Raw from last night. Wow, what an odd crowd. Chanting "What!?" at the Undertaker. Man, that chant is getting old.

One dude in particular was all over Taker during that promo. After the first sentence of the promo, "You SUCK 'Taker!"

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I can't believe this will be Taker's last match. I always thought it would be the biggest deal, but this is just a middle of the way match due to Rock/Cena. He's getting no history, and HHH brings no real emotion to this. The whole thing should be about Taker, not HHH and HBK (if he does become a guest ref).

krae_man

Uh.. have you been ANY live shows? Of course people leave on their own, nobody stands at that spot like an idiot, even kids know better.

I'm actually thinking you've never been to live shows. Plus it was just her there and nobody else. In my experience that area is kept clear of everyone whose not supposed to be there because that area is used in matches all the time.

I think she needs some wrestler to manage, and for him to face Zack Ryder at Mania. Ryder wins, Eve faces defeat -- they possibly continue the feud until the next PPV or it ends. But she still should remain heel and be a valet/manager. She can still wrestler, no harm in that, but her being a heel she needs a guy with her. The problem I see is, who can they pick? Somebody like Cody Rhodes certainly does not need her. I would say Jack Swagger, but he's already with Vickie. Not sure.

Justin Gabriel playing early Johnny Nitro, dude works better as a heel than a Cape Town Werewolf anyway.

Striker

Watching the Cena promo on the Rock, why is it being heralded as something great? He shed the same fucking shit about "I've been here the whole time!". YAWWWWWN

Justin Gabriel playing early Johnny Nitro, dude works better as a heel than a Cape Town Werewolf anyway.
Gabriel is a solid choice, actually.

Anth0ny

I can't believe this will be Taker's last match. I always thought it would be the biggest deal, but this is just a middle of the way match due to Rock/Cena. He's getting no history, and HHH brings no real emotion to this. The whole thing should be about Taker, not HHH and HBK (if he does become a guest ref).

That is so fail. They definitely should have waited until next year.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
So, Wrestlemania tickets.

I've got two extra tickets since I originally bought them for a friend and his +1, but life happened and he's moving out of town for a job. Lower level, section 111, row 7. They're not OMG phenomenal seats, but hey, I'm willing to sell pretty close to face value. I'm about to put them up on StubHub, but if any of you guys want to buy them, gimme a holla playa.

Edit: Damn, that PM was fast. I'll answer it here though, since I guess it's a valid question:

No, I won't be sitting with you. Me and a friend will be jealously glaring down at djsandman from the back rows of section 113.

Also, yes, they are e-tickets from TicketMaster.

So given that he has no current rivals and he needs to freaking do something, what are the odds that Cody Rhodes wins MitB at Wrestlemania and tries to do what he's been talking about for a while: hold the IC and WHC at the same time?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
So given that he has no current rivals and he needs to freaking do something, what are the odds that Cody Rhodes wins MitB at Wrestlemania and tries to do what he's been talking about for a while: hold the IC and WHC at the same time?

For a little while there, they were hinting pretty strongly at a Golddust/Rhodes match. I was expecting it before Wrestlemania, but I hope they go ahead and make the match part of the show. They have 5 weeks or so to build it, and it could be a great sendoff for Golddust, as I don't imagine he'll have another opportunity for a Mania match.

Ithil

Goldust has been pushing for a WM match with Cody for a long time. Seemed like they teased that before the Rumble, and there was talk that it would happen at the EC PPV instead (which Goldust complained about on his twitter and wanted WM). It would be his retirement from the ring, too.

They may still go ahead with that, we'll have to see on SD.

esai

I don't know what the odds are but it would be great if it happened.

Entropia

No One Remembers

I WANT THIS.

I was hoping more for Goldust vs. Rhodes though :(

Wait, is Smackdown! live this week?

This tweet from WWE:

TONIGHT! It's #ChampionVSChampion as @CMPunk faces @WWEDanielBryan! It's #SuperSmackDown LIVE at 8/7 CT on @Syfy!

Linkified

Interesting RAW. Crowd was hot when Eve turned.

Interesting. Interesting how you quick edited your comment away. But anyway to answer your question Cena didn't put over Punk. As much I can't stand Punk's gimmick Punk put over Punk with the promo and Vince felt confident to make Cena lose.

Its going to be great when Rock beats Cena.

While I'm all for another Punk vs Bryan match, this seems a bit soon to do it again.

First was my DQ, second will be count out, etc.

WWE is long term booking to Survivor Series this year.

Watching the Cena promo on the Rock, why is it being heralded as something great? He shed the same fucking shit about "I've been here the whole time!". YAWWWWWN

Exactly what I thought, people are really chowing down the fruity pebbles all of a sudden, I can't say I get Cena's argument, if the Rock truly didn't give a damn he wouldn't have come back for a match in the first place, here I was thinking people wanted the Rock to have another match.
Granted I kind of phased out of Cena's promo, so I just rewatched it, I still don't see anything spectacular about it aside from him mentioning The Rock saying that he'd never leave again which was of course a lie.

Seeing as Rock confirmed himself for WM 29, I just had this horrible feeling...

There are going to do Rock vs Cena at Mania for the next three years. Rock wins one year, Cena wins the next, and they have the rubber match at WM 30.

...this is the worst idea I ever had, so it obviously will happen!

jmdajr

Let me know what you find, I'm interested in knowing who Cena put over versus being put over.

If my memory serves me right, Cena did not have the caliber of talent that Rock, Austin, and Hogan had in their primes.

Well after looking, all I came up was Wade, Sheamus, Punk and Miz

sajj316

Seeing as Rock confirmed himself for WM 29, I just had this horrible feeling...

There are going to do Rock vs Cena at Mania for the next three years. Rock wins one year, Cena wins the next, and they have the rubber match at WM 30.

...this is the worst idea I ever had, so it obviously will happen!

Considering I think we might have creative lurkers in this thread, it very well might. I prefer a best of three but not at Wrestlemania. Summerslam and maybe Survivor Series. Leave a Wrestlemania open for Austin and Punk.

The thing about the Cena promo that was good was that he stayed consistent throughout. Usually he falls back into dumb jokes, "I respect these people and their time of their lives", or WE GON' HAVE A GOOD TIME TONIGHT.
Instead he was frank and direct with his comments and the only bit of joking he did was to 8-Mile his own movie career, which still didn't fall into the corny level. He didn't wow me with the content of his promo, but he did have spectacular* presentation.

*For Cena

jmdajr

The thing about the Cena promo that was good was that he stayed consistent throughout. Usually he falls back into dumb jokes, "I respect these people and their time of their lives", or WE GON' HAVE A GOOD TIME TONIGHT.
Instead he was frank and direct with his comments and the only bit of joking he did was to 8-Mile his own movie career, which still didn't fall into the corny level. He didn't wow me with the content of his promo, but he did have spectacular* presentation.

*For Cena

He did good. Like I said, I hope Rock responds as Dwayne and not just with Rocky catch phrases...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom