• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropes Vs. Women Episode 2 - Damsels In Distress Part [spoiler warning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

I don't get this woman. So basically, she wants every girl character ever to use a bazooka and kick everyone's ass despite of the narrative?

Also lol'ed at the "domestic violence" in the last part. What the hell?

Excellent video. It's not that these games don't have a right to exist, they do! But it's important to examine and realize what we're taking in. It looks like she's taking her job seriously.

But how can she do that when she seems to consider that Prototype 2 and Inversion are in the same narrative level as Azura's Wrath and Dishonored?

Alienous

Excellent video. It's not that these games don't have a right to exist, they do! But it's important to examine and realize what we're taking in. It looks like she's taking her job seriously.

She's a feminist, with a very specific point of view and motive. Even if she is not aware, she is picking things that illustrate her views, not every view. As such, this is ineffective at trying to "examine and realize what we're taking in". For that to happen, discussion is required. Multiple viewpoints. But her very particular view is worthless without the opposite.

Never usually comment in these threads, but just wanted to chime in with how annoyed I was by how much she took out of context this time around. The Darkness is one of my favorite game series, and the implication that Jenny was Jacky's "possession" was total shit. Jenny was the only friend Jackie had growing up, which is the emotional implication behind her uncle killing her.

Is the only person that really cares about him and provides the balance Jacky needs in his life. Even if short, their relationship was very well done (much beter than in most videogames) and in no way pictures Jenny as his posession.

Gigarator

i11I9NSTYps6F.gif

The scene is funny because of how outrageous it is to whip out a giant machine gun at a wedding, not because a woman is the one doing it. If the groom was doing it, it'd still be funny, but then the wife becomes the damsel in distress.

What could be done to make it not sexist? Have them both have guns? I just don't understand what she wants.

Should have been a same sex marriage

Oh wait, if it was male-male that would mean that females can't play the role of hero. If it was female-female that means females can't save males.

These sexists writers just keep backing themselves into a corner.

Rebochan

So a girl taking the ultimate sacrifice to help save the day is actually some sort of violence against women hard on? Domestic violence? What?

If there's a disproportionate amount of narratives doing this, YES. And I'd put more blame on a title like that's come out, say, 15 years after FF7 and still fell on the exact same plot trope when it didn't know what to do with a woman in the plot.

I'm just not convinced she made her argument successfully and knowledge of the context of her complaints are kind of the #1 problem with simply dissecting plot tropes - you haven't made a meaningful critique, you've just created a list and tried to discern meaning from it anyway.

sTeLioSco

Banned
I don't get this woman. So basically, she wants every girl character ever to use a bazooka and kick everyone's ass despite of the narrative?

despite of the narrative? what?

the narrative is wrong in the first place..... games are primitive in story department

Never usually comment in these threads, but just wanted to chime in with how annoyed I was by how much she took out of context this time around. The Darkness is one of my favorite game series, and the implication that Jenny was Jacky's "possession" was total shit. Jenny was the only friend Jackie had growing up, which is the emotional implication behind her uncle killing her.

Is the only person that really cares about him and provides the balance Jacky needs in his life. Even if short, their relationship was very well done (much beter than in most videogames) and in no way pictures Jenny as his posession.

So to her tropes are not inherently bad... bud they are bad anyway and you should be ashemed regardless of the context...

KTallguy

Banned
But how can she do that when she seems to consider that Prototype 2 and Inversion are in the same narrative level as Azura's Wrath and Dishonored?

If you really take a step back and examine what's going on in Asura's Wrath and Prototype, how different is it really? Sure the contexts aren't the same, but what happens? Girl dies, you go get revenge. No matter if the girl was your best friend, wife, lover, etc. The key thing to look at is the events in question.

I think the gap in narrative quality between Asura's Wrath and Prototype isn't as wide as you think. Probably the storytelling in Asura is better, since they devote a lot more effort.

Edit: It's funny, I've recently been watching "Luther", a UK drama, and realized that the basic trope of a "damsel in distress" is present there too. Lots and lots of media has these tropes in it, not just games.

Riposte

People who have issues with violent games are going to love this. Indie game namedrops lol.

EDIT: Basically her overall problem seems to be that there is violence against humans in games ("power fantasies", etc), but she chooses to focus on the fact that this violence happens to visit vulnerable females and (though it isn't clearly said) that because males more often star in games women are less likely to be in the role of vengeance seeker.

Showing Child of Eden is really weird though.

Sophia

Uhhh... isn't the whole point of Alan Wake that he wants to rescue his wife?

Partially. It's ignoring the fact that the focus of the story is on the Dark Presence, the fact that Alice gets just as much character development as anyone else, and the fact that there's two fantastic examples of fcharacters who are not damsels and well written.

While she brings up some valid points, a lot of her examples are taken out of context completely. :\

Alienous

the narrative is wrong in the first place..... games are primitive in story department

No, not games in particular.

Tropes allow for less exposition. Sure, they're lazy, but they aren't intended to be offensive.

If I decide to write a book, and at some point the main character goes to a mechanic, and the mechanic is female, I would need to justify that. Because it defies convention, and if I didn't it would seem strange. Anything that isn't inherently strange would be a trope, to a certain degree.

Rebochan

The scene is funny because of how outrageous it is to whip out a giant machine gun at a wedding, not because a woman is the one doing it. If the groom was doing it, it'd still be funny, but then the wife becomes the damsel in distress.

What could be done to make it not sexist? Have them both have guns? I just don't understand what she wants.

She didn't claim it was sexist. She pointed out that the idea of a bride, in her wedding dress, shooting the crap out of a giant bug in revenge is considered humorous because duh, girl.

I always said the biggest fictional element of Wreck-It Ralph was portraying a female lead in a AAA military shooter.

Avallon

This "euthanized damsel" she speaks of is not limited to only Men vs. Women. Plenty of times in games, movies, etc. this happens with Men vs. Men as well.
Is the Pandora's Tower spoiler that bad?
I still need to get around to playing it. :/
End of the game cinematic

I don't know about anyone else, but if the genders were reversed and I was the one turning into a grotesque mutant, I'd want to die, too
(and I did just that in The Walking Dead)
. I don't really see this as women subordinating themselves to men.

I can kind of see why people are bothered by Ico's presence, but c'mon guys, I'm pretty sure that the creator is a confirmed sexist.

What does that have to do with her putting ICO in a section where she's talking about games that use this trope with romance? That isn't in ICO and it's never even implied in the game.

If you really take a step back and examine what's going on in Asura's Wrath and Prototype, how different is it really? Sure the contexts aren't the same, but what happens? Girl dies, you go get revenge. No matter if the girl was your best friend, wife, lover, etc. The key thing to look at is the events in question.

Is called Execution. Thats the whole reason of 'tropes'.

I think the gap in narrative quality between Asura's Wrath and Prototype isn't as wide as you think. Probably the storytelling in Asura is better, since they devote a lot more effort.

Eh... Narrative depends of STORYTELLING in most cases.

Edit: It's funny, I've recently been watching "Luther", a UK drama, and realized that the basic trope of a "damsel in distress" is present there too. Lots and lots of media has these tropes in it, not just games.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreTools

lefantome

LOL she even included Max Payne 3.

If reality is sexist you can't use it in media(in the max payne case it's not even sexist at all)
She is starting to look like a christian conservative depicting videogames as blasphemy.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So a girl taking the ultimate sacrifice to help save the day is actually some sort of violence against women hard on? Domestic violence? What?

It's not a "monkey see, monkey do" scenario. There's no evidence of that (she even mentions it), but someone can't be blind enough to this day to deny that entertainment as a whole (which games are a large part of it) can influence people, for the good or for the bad.

Watched it with an open mind. Very disappointed. 90% of the video is just spoilerific examples of damsels in distress in different forms. The only explanation given why this is bad is because there are women in the real world who are abused and killed and the gaming medium should be more sensitive to this in it's storytelling.

There is an argument to be made that the video game industry uses immature plot devices too much. This video is not one of those arguments.

Shinta

Banned
She didn't claim it was sexist. She pointed out that the idea of a bride, in her wedding dress, shooting the crap out of a giant bug in revenge is considered humorous because duh, girl.

I always said the biggest fictional element of Wreck-It Ralph was portraying a female lead in a AAA military shooter.

It doesn't have to be humorous. That's actually the plot of The 3rd Birthday.

wedding3.jpg

and Kill Bill.

There's actually a ton of female revenge stories out there. Have you ever seen the Lifetime Channel?

hawk2025

I actually watched the whole video before replying.

Absolutely nothing was added to her point with the second video in the series, and the actual important discussion has already moved beyond her.

I wonder how many people who actively play the videogames she mentions are actually violent against women.

I'd wager it's a lot less than the amount people who don't have access to videogames, don't care about videogames, or ones who have extremely limited and closedminded tastes in games.

Taruranto

Take ICO. Would the story make sense if Yorda went around kicking monsters asses? She someone that spent her whole life in a cage isolated from everyone else. Sure, you could make a point about how no one forced the writers to write the story like that, but then... what? Should every story be the same?

Also, she's using the fact that some characters are females and you get to fight them to make a point about domestic abuse and violence, it's just fucked up.

Darklord

Banned
Her whole thing with the "euthanized damsel" isn't just a female exclusive thing. Look at Gears of War 3 when
Marcus' Dad died. THAT is a euthanized damsel in her view but no, only Maria is.

All she does is name a whole bunch of shit then labels it sexist then moves onto the next.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Take ICO. Would the story make sense if Yorda went around kicking monsters asses? She someone that spent her whole life in a cage isolated from everyone else. Sure, you could make a point about how no one forced the writers to write the story like that, but then... what? Should every story be the same?
No, and that's kind of the point of her entire video series. The stories are the same today.

KTallguy

Banned
If I decide to write a book, and at some point the main character goes to a mechanic, and the mechanic is female, I would need to justify that. Because it defies convention, and if I didn't it would seem strange. Anything that isn't inherently strange would be a trope, to a certain degree.

In Borderlands 2, they have this same element, a big obese female mechanic character, and a little girl bomb making character. I can't remember how they justify it exactly but they do exist.

I guess you could step back and examine why you'd have to justify it in the first place. Maybe in the world of your novel, female mechanics are commonplace? Why is it an inherently foreign concept? Many games take place in fantastical worlds... so a female mechanic may not seem like such a weird thing if put into the context of those worlds.

It doesn't have to be humorous. That's actually the plot of The 3rd Birthday.

wedding3.jpg

and Kill Bill.

There's actually a ton of female revenge stories out there. Have you ever seen the Lifetime Channel?

Funny. T3B is probably way more sexist than the majority of the games she named.

Even more so the reason why it's annoying to see her character reduced to being called "a male possession". It makes me question if Anita actually played through the series and got the back story of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom