• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUE 1:1 3D Sony Remote Discussion

Zen

Banned
I think the Burnout implementation shows that it's capable of more than just hyper casual games. I'd love to play a racing game that used a realistic driving model and interfaced with natal (if it could end up being as good as the hype, doubtful, but still).
Atcha said:
I were impressed by the Sony REMote.

If it's used for Gamers Game, I will support it. If it's just for casual thing...it's without me.
I have the same opinion about the natal.

Games for Gamers = YEAH
CAsual Game like nintendo = Oh NOES !

Imagine a full first party effort first person Medievil/fantaasy game with archery, sword fighting, and horseback riding (God, imagine controlling the Horse with the PSmote using 1 or 2 as reigns and riding past an enemy, cutting him down with your sword).

Arg, shivers man, shivers.

(Controlling the horse via virtual reigns might be a bit much, but still)

Raistlin

sykoex said:
Any chance of them adding a speaker to the remote? (preferably of higher quality than Wiimote's tinny ones)

A 'high quality' one would really do nothing to help the tinny sound. It's simply the physics of using a speaker that small. There is no way around it.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Zen said:
Imagine a full first party effort first person Medievil/fantaasy game with archery, sword fighting, and horseback riding (God, imagine controlling the Horse with the PSmote using 1 or 2 as reigns and riding past an enemy, cutting him down with your sword).

Arg, shivers man, shivers.

(Controlling the horse via virtual reigns might be a bit much, but still)

Now that's more like it

Raist

Banned
Onix said:
In general, I agree. I just think that in the case of ranging specifically, it is not needed. Sonar will produce FAR more resolution than a camera every could, and since it is producing absolute data points (wand is a Tx, PSeye is Rx), not relative ones like gyros and accelerometers, there are no error accumulation considerations.

Just realized that my sentence was a bit confusing. What I meant is that tracking depth with the camera (if it can do it) might not be required, but it could always provide some additional data.

Less convenience, you need to pair it. With a speaker you're using the thing you already have in your hand.

Oh c'mon, you do it once :p It provides a mic and a speaker. Not to mention the PSeye has mics too. And then you have your TV/surround sound. I really don't see the point in putting this on the controller. The Wiimote's speaker has always seemed incredibly gimmicky to me.

Raistlin

Raist said:
Just realized that my sentence was a bit confusing. What I meant is that tracking depth with the camera (if it can do it) might not be required, but it could always provide some additional data.

What I'm saying is that the additional data is useless since it would be dramatically lower in resolution, and because sonar has no accumulation errors to compensate for anyway.

Wollan

SonyDualMote.jpg

sinseers

With all due respect given to the posters before me, IMO this was totally a reactionary presentation. Now I've read about how Sony had R&D about this tech going as far back as 2003 and that's fine. My thing with them is they will be PERCEIVED as being reactionary in the eyes of the public at first glance (See SixAxis) for the simple fact that they appear to be presenting technology closely after the huge unexpected success of another platform with similar technology (See the Wii).

It matters not how long the tech had been envisioned because it comes across as being "Me too" when your previous iterations of system controllers showed no interest whatsoever in going into the motion detection direction. And on top of all that they show a prototype of this technology at E3? A prototype of something that is supposed to be launching within a year if this is to be believed. Why show a prototype at all? Now don't get me wrong because I definitely see the potential there, but what actually were they looking to gain by showing a prototype of a motion controller OTHER THAN to try and steal some thunder from the success of the wiimote?

Nintendo sure as hell didn't show a prototype of their wiimote to the public. They didn't even show a prototype of the M+. It was the actual product. So what is Sony trying to sell me on? Potential just like the Six Axis?

Raist

Banned
sinseers said:
With all due respect given to the posters before me, IMO this was totally a reactionary presentation. Now I've read about how Sony had R&D about this tech going as far back as 2003 and that's fine. My thing with them is they will be PERCEIVED as being reactionary in the eyes of the public at first glance (See SixAxis) for the simple fact that they appear to be presenting technology closely after the huge unexpected success of another platform with similar technology (See the Wii).

It matters not how long the tech had been envisioned because it comes across as being "Me too" when your previous iterations of system controllers showed no interest whatsoever in going into the motion detection direction. And on top of all that they show a prototype of this technology at E3? A prototype of something that is supposed to be launching within a year if this is to be believed. Why show a prototype at all? Now don't get me wrong because I definitely see the potential there, but what actually were they looking to gain by showing a prototype of a motion controller OTHER THAN to try and steal some thunder from the success of the wiimote?

Nintendo sure as hell didn't show a prototype of their wiimote to the public. They didn't even show a prototype of the M+. It was the actual product. So what is Sony trying to sell me on? Potential just like the Six Axis?

What? The shape of the controller is still a prototype, but the technology itself is right there and most probably definitive. It works. Very well. Now they just need the games using it.

Raistlin

sinseers said:

For your point about prototyping, it's simply a difference in corporate mentality. Nintendo has a long history of keeping things close to the vest, that's simply how they roll. Companies like Sony and MS however, have long histories of doing the opposite. They quite regularly show off tech they are R&Ding.

There are pros and cons to both strategies, but make no mistake that what you saw at E3 is quite in line with the 'character' of all companies involved.

As for perceptions of being reactionary, I would agree. I don't think Sony can necessarily do much to stop that if people are of that opinion (BTW - I should point our that your date of 2003 is incorrect. IIRC, Sony publicly showed off R&D as far back as 2000 :p), but I'm not sure that really is an issue?

If there are games and features people like, they'll consider it. There is a long history of successful items that were perceived as not originating a tech or an idea. People don't automatically disregard something simply because it isn't the 'original'.

sinseers said:
Nintendo sure as hell didn't show a prototype of their wiimote to the public.

yes, they did.

They didn't even show a prototype of the M+.

yes, they did.

It was the actual product.

no, it wasn't.

sinseers said:
So what is Sony trying to sell me on? Potential just like the Six Axis?

yes, or like the very similar cup demo in 2005. It will be something eles that is shown, but not heard of again from Sony.

the only problem I have with a lot of the talk in this thread is that people seem to be ignoring that the past isn't a single event. Well, that and the people trying to argue that this is the exact same thing as Motion Plus. Then there is the whole thing that "oh, it really can sense in 3D place, you just have to point the Wii remote at the screen to set a marker" as if that evens it up, which it doesn't, while still ignoring the augmented reality capabilities of a camera like the PS Eye or Natal. The arguement should really just end at "Wii Motion Plus is launching this month; Nintendo already has the market."

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Linkzg said:
yes, or like the very similar cup demo in 2005. It will be something eles that is shown, but not heard of again from Sony.
I'd agree except that Trenton said they're targeting a Spring 2010 release date. Seems a bit more concrete this time.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I don't think normal people care if it is 'reactionary' I talked to a few friends who know they really aren't as intense into gaming as I am, but were interested enough to ask me questions about all this e3 hooplah. Some think Natal is really cool, and think they could use it in a lot of games (one gave me the example of a really good workout game that could tell if you were cheating or not), the Sony wand got people interested in playing shooting games/action games with the controllers, with good graphics. But they were all too cool to care about Nintendo's stuff (the transition from them thinking Nintendo was awesome to boring was kind of weird). But not one of them even considered the new motion controls as 'reactionary' they just sort of assumed it was inevitable.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wollan said:

OK..I think I see what you were getting at now.

I mean you'll have to forgive my ignorance because I haven't played too many shooters on Wii, but basically the wiimote is chiefly used to move the screen around, with the target-sight most constrained around the center of the screen?

Is that why some devs gravitated to on-rails experiences so you could move the target-sight around more directly without having to worry about where the screen was moving?

I don't fully get that though. I mean in a traditional dual-analog set up you only have one stick to move the target-sight OR the screen around as well, so what's wrong with mapping a single wiimote to that function? Is speed not simply how quickly you want to react to the wiimote, or..?

Wollan

gofreak said:
I mean you'll have to forgive my ignorance because I haven't played too many shooters on Wii, but basically the wiimote is chiefly used to move the screen around, with the target-sight most constrained around the center of the screen?
Basically, Wii games resort to pushing the screen around with the crosshairs.
Even games who have very tight controls (image starts to move when crosshairs are pushed slightly) can't compare to the instantaneous turn a stick offers, it feels almost like you're controlling a plane around making fps game controls superior on gamepads as of today (the answer has always lied in having a second analog stick).

FPS control on Wii is actually quite fun. When Sony eventually release its tech, they might create a fun FPS for that system. But we really need more convincing to get there.

sinseers

Linkzg said:
yes, they did.

yes, they did.

no, it wasn't.

the only problem I have with a lot of the talk in this thread is that people seem to be ignoring that the past isn't a single event. Well, that and the people trying to argue that this is the exact same thing as Motion Plus. Then there is the whole thing that "oh, it really can sense in 3D place, you just have to point the Wii remote at the screen to set a marker" as if that evens it up, which it doesn't, while still ignoring the augmented reality capabilities of a camera like the PS Eye or Natal. The arguement should really just end at "Wii Motion Plus is launching this month; Nintendo already has the market."

OK then when and where were these protoypes shown and how come not one pic of these prototypes has been posted here yet?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wollan said:
Basically, Wii games resort to pushing the screen around with the crosshairs.
Even games who have very tight controls (image starts to move when crosshairs are pushed slightly) can't compare to the instantaneous turn a stick offers, it feels almost like you're controlling a plane around making fps game controls superior on gamepads as of today (the answer has always lied in having a second analog stick).

OK, but take the mouse in PC FPS games..it offers 'only' the same pointing that a Wiimote does..yet it seems to get by fine..?

Wollan said:

Aiming two guns at two diffirent targets doesn't work, you can't focus on two things at the same time. If you shoot both guns at the same target anyway there's no need for two aims. Good controls need to be simple and well defined, the well defined part seems to be the big problem for motion control. I mean if I need to wave an arm, how much and in what way does it need to be waved?

The real problem I see with that pic is what happens is you try to turn and aim at the same time? There are two separate controls that affect guns direction at the same time, that could be wery disorienting. It might work, can't tell without trying, but I don't see that as well defined.

One other option comes to mind for FPS controls. Basically right motion controller could be used for aiming and turning like a 3D mouse and now free right analog could alter motion controllers sensitivity. Meaning at center aiming would be fast, but pushing the pad off center would slow aiming. Pushing pad all the way would remove aiming completely, like lifting a mouse.

sinseers said:
OK then when and where were these protoypes shown and how come not one pic of these prototypes has been posted here yet?

f4pxdh.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEKCetCeibs

that was how the Wii was first shown. No gameplay shown to he public, just the first design of the controller. It was shown behind doors to those who had access. If you go back, you can see the first reactions of people playing it. It's similar to how reactions to Natal are now.

This is back in E3 2005. All they were doing is selling the public on the potential of the device. This is actually the same year Sony showed off the cup demo, which is the same tech used in the new remote they've shown off, only without the controller part.

and really, until you asked for it, why would people post pictures of the prototype? this is first and foremost a thread about the sony remote.

sinseers said:

Most of the public didn't perceive SIXAXIS as reactionary to the Wii. Most of the public didn't care. They just say "Oh, I can tilt the controller here in this game?" and move on with their lives.

When a new technology hits, you have a very small window where people identify that tech with that product and care where it comes from. When other, similar devices are introduced, that window quickly closes, 99% of consumers don't think twice about it, and it doesn't influence their purchasing decision anymore.

Look at the mouse. For a little while, it was part of the Macintosh identity. Now, no one cares where it came from except the system warriors when they are discussing who "stole" it from who. Consumers don't give a damn, and the vast majority of them probably have no idea that Xerox invented it and Apple was the first to push it into the consumer realm.

Only hardcore tech watchers care about this stuff. All the system-neutral hardcore tech watchers have seen Dr. Marks' work (which goes back BEFORE 2003, BTW) over many years and know the history, and admire his contribution. Only the fanboy system warriors want to turn this into a question of who is being "reactionary" and who is "copying" who.

So who cares about perception, when the only people who care about the perception are already biased, and already have their minds made up?

ascii42

gofreak said:
OK, but take the mouse in PC FPS games..it offers 'only' the same pointing that a Wiimote does..yet it seems to get by fine..?
A mouse isn't pointing in the same way the Wii is, it's movement along a 2D plane.

Wollan

gofreak said:
A mouse is ultra sensitive, on a 2D plane and you can rest it in exact positions at any time.

Penguin

Wollan said:

I see the idea, but wouldn't it be a bit harder for people to keep track of three different movements?

Alignment of the screen.
Character.
Gun Location.

And has it been an issue with dragging the cursor across the screen? I mean Wii doesn't have that many FPSes, but the good ones seem to be better at hiding that flaw.

chubigans said:
I'd agree except that Trenton said they're targeting a Spring 2010 release date. Seems a bit more concrete this time.

I will not believe it until I see it. The fact that Marks had this tech for years and they are just now bringing it out definetly stinks of it being a reaction to the Wii success. What I wonder now is if they will now either realize that Natal encroaches on the territory they hoped to move into, or they will do something more in reaction to Natal.

The only thing that makes me believe they might be serious about it is the guy from Insomniac on ListinUp mentioning that they got the prototype in their office to work with. All they said about it was that they can't work it into the new Ratchet and that it is is super accurate.

Wollan

Absolute Bastard said:
Aiming two guns at two diffirent targets doesn't work, you can't focus on one thing at the same time. If you shoot both guns at the same target anyway there's no need for two aims. Good controls need to be simple and well defined, the well defined part seems to be the big problem for motion control. I mean if I need to wave an arm, how much and in what way does it need to be waved?
Penguin said:
I see the idea, but wouldn't it be a bit harder for people to keep track of three different movements?
I agree. Two aims might very well be too much to handle. I don't think one aim though (separate from frame movement) should be a problem at all. It would need to be tested obviously to see if dual aiming is too much and so on.

ZAK

Anyone remember that mock-up Wii FPS control scheme that was posted here waaaaaaaaaay back, which used nunchuck motion for turning?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Wollan said:
I agree. Two aims might very well be too much to handle. I don't think one aim though (separate from frame movement) should be a problem at all. It would need to be tested obviously to see if dual aiming is too much and so on.

One aim would probably be the best and your idea would make the most sense. I would like to be able to rotate my torso (right analog) to the right to see what's over that way, but maintain an aim more towards the left of the screen.

Having two analogs along with pointer function would be the best option and give the most control. Also, devs would be free to allow those that want better control to use that and those that need more hand holding the classic wii type setup.

Penguin

Bluemercury said:
Are motion controls good now?

Nintendo was doing it wrong.
It was imprecise.
And only good for casual games.

Now you can lift some dude's chin and hit him with a sword... granted you can't walk, but you can attack.

Binabik15

I´m not really interested in this except for it to double as a light gun, BUT:

Playing with two seperate light guns is awesome. Aiming is hard as hell, but it doesn´t really matter with the fire power you can pump out. Plus, this could make dual-wield
less of a no-brainer in games that have it.

Now I want to hook my PS2 to an old TV and play Time Crisis two-player mode all by myself :lol

Wollan

NutJobJim said:
Wollan said:
Do anyone know which ListenUp episode contains a Insomniac dev that talks about the PS3 motion controller?
The last one.
If I remember it's quite near the end of the podcast.
Essentially he says that they were given the tech and some of the demos that were shown at E3 to play around with.
He said it's very accurate. Super precise.
They thought about ways to include it in a Ratchet game, and would be willing to do so if they could think of any good applications for it, but they couldn't think of anything that they could add in time for release (said it would be too much work.)

I just went back and found it by chance (it's at 1hr 35min mark.)
The discussion doesn't last longer than a minute or two though.

Podcast in question - Right click and Save (56MB)

"It's really, really precise. It knows exactly where it is and what it's doing."

sinseers

Penguin said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tXgjYqpbhM

Something like this would count as a prototype?
I mean this is pretty similar to the Natal video.
In showing what is possible.

How the hell is that a protoype? That IS the Wii controller. Maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to say. When Nintendo revealed the controller, it was a finished product PERIOD. Not a mock controller demonstrating what they are telling and showing you that the finished product will be doing.

sinseers

Linkzg said:
f4pxdh.jpg

that was how the Wii was first shown. No gameplay shown to he public, just the first design of the controller. It was shown behind doors to those who had access. If you go back, you can see the first reactions of people playing it. It's similar to how reactions to Natal are now.

This is back in E3 2005. All they were doing is selling the public on the potential of the device. This is actually the same year Sony showed off the cup demo, which is the same tech used in the new remote they've shown off, only without the controller part.

and really, until you asked for it, why would people post pictures of the prototype? this is first and foremost a thread about the sony remote.

Was tthis a public showing? I ask because I did mention public showing in the same vain as the PS3 motion controller. No closed door sessions, I'm talking a full blown public televised reveal.

sinseers

Pristine_Condition said:
Most of the public didn't perceive SIXAXIS as reactionary to the Wii. Most of the public didn't care. They just say "Oh, I can tilt the controller here in this game?" and move on with their lives.

When a new technology hits, you have a very small window where people identify that tech with that product and care where it comes from. When other, similar devices are introduced, that window quickly closes, 99% of consumers don't think twice about it, and it doesn't influence their purchasing decision anymore.

Look at the mouse. For a little while, it was part of the Macintosh identity. Now, no one cares where it came from except the system warriors when they are discussing who "stole" it from who. Consumers don't give a damn, and the vast majority of them probably have no idea that Xerox invented it and Apple was the first to push it into the consumer realm.

Only hardcore tech watchers care about this stuff. All the system-neutral hardcore tech watchers have seen Dr. Marks' work (which goes back BEFORE 2003, BTW) over many years and know the history, and admire his contribution. Only the fanboy system warriors want to turn this into a question of who is being "reactionary" and who is "copying" who.

So who cares about perception, when the only people who care about the perception are already biased, and already have their minds made up?

You make some interesting points. Let's say you are right in all that you stated. Why in the HELL is Sony demoing a motion sensor controller with NO GAMES to show? Mind you they say this thing is supposed to launch sometime next year. Hell even KZ2 was technically unveiled nearly 4 year before it actually launched (Though it was in the form of a CGI movie).

Iknos

Onix said:
The hell?

Flow is probably one of the best motion controlled games out there.

It is painfully dull in comparison to Wipeout or Warhawk. If there were 100 other Flow-esque titles, I wouldn't care. Give me 5 other WO or WH titles, and I'll care.

gofreak said:

It depends on the game you're playing. There are games with customizable controls where the 'bounding box' of the wiimote's cursor is able to be made smaller or larger. The smaller you make the box, the closer it feels to a mouse.

Try playing Medal of Honor Heroes 2 or The Conduit and you'll see how mouse-like aiming with the wiimote is.

pakkit

Banned
Turning in Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 is quicker then with a mouse. It's not as accurate, but it's definitely the closest console games have ever gotten to KB&M controls.

It's a shitty game though, don't buy it. :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
sinseers said:
You make some interesting points. Let's say you are right in all that you stated. Why in the HELL is Sony demoing a motion sensor controller with NO GAMES to show? Mind you they say this thing is supposed to launch sometime next year. Hell even KZ2 was technically unveiled nearly 4 year before it actually launched (Though it was in the form of a CGI movie).

Its not uncommon though to show hardware as a prototype and not with actual finalized games.

See vitality sensor and natal at this very E3. We know what they do, and what they can do in theory, but no concrete game with a concrete release date.

Penguin said:
Nintendo was doing it wrong.
It was imprecise.
And only good for casual games.

Now you can lift some dude's chin and hit him with a sword... granted you can't walk, but you can attack.

The IR is as precise as you're going to get in the sonymote, but the movements i doubt they're going to be much more precise....at least compared to motion plus...but hey you know most Sony fans are already talking about it like sony inventend the whole thing. Still i might get interested if they launch an sku with it and some decent game.

sinseers

AndyD said:
Its not uncommon though to show hardware as a prototype and not with actual finalized games.

See vitality sensor and natal at this very E3. We know what they do, and what they can do in theory, but no concrete game with a concrete release date.

I agree about the vitality sensor and Natal for that matter. I'm just thrashing Sony right now because the initial thread is about the PS3 motion sensor controller. When you get to be my age you pick up on BS a little quicker than the youngsters. This thing is smelling right about now.

Jokeropia

Wollan said:
You're out of your mind. The games with tight control are miles ahead of an analog in this respect. The turning speed depends on how much you divert from the center of the screen and moving the pointer to the edge of or outside it will turn you instantly. Stability is not a problem either as you can easily rest your hand on your lap while playing.

Linkzg said:
f4pxdh.jpg

lol just like Natal no real gameplay shown. Also why the fuck is that nunchuk still wired. :mad:

jmd494

Night_Trekker said:
Of course. As predicted, a great many people have suddenly seen the light.

I don't think that's fair. True for some but I think there definitely are four groups here:

1. Stupid fanboys who only like it now because they now have it too.

2. People who suddenly like motion controls because they've come to their console of choice (i.e. they get motion controls with their favorite franchises, with high def games ,and from a console devoted to making a lot of hardcore games)

3 People who like it because they think the technology looks much better than Wii's

4 People who always have and continue to think motion controls are stupid

I won't say which group I'm in but there is definitely more to it than people simply "finally seeing the light."

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Justin Dailey said:
I don't think that's fair. True for some but I think there definitely are four groups here:

1. Stupid fanboys who only like it now because they now have it too.

2. People who suddenly like motion controls because they've come to their console of choice (i.e. they get motion controls with their favorite franchises, with high def games ,and from a console devoted to making a lot of hardcore games)

3 People who like it because they think the technology looks much better than Wii's

4 People who always have and continue to think motion controls are stupid

I won't say which group I'm in but there is definitely more to it than people simply "finally seeing the light."

I am of the group that that motion control is really cool, was really excited for the Wii but in the end very disappointed. So I am (cautiously) optimistic about the possibilities with this tech (and on another level, with the Wii and Natal).

avaya

Does anyone have info on what chips their using for this? Getting a basic IC breakdown would allow a good handle on the costs of implementing it...

Top Bottom