• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUE 1:1 3D Sony Remote Discussion

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mr_nothin said:
Ok...so how would the pseudo joystick be implemented? Would it be move forward/backward + strafe or would it be move forward/backward + turn?

Either/or, up to the game to decide what it'll map to, as is currently with an analog stick.

mr_nothin said:
How would that be handled? Would you have to move the controller back to the original position and then to the left and right? Or does the controller automatically reset once you start moving the wand to the left or right?

The most natural thing would be for it to 'reset' or stop the motion along one axis when the user makes movement on another axis. So the latter I think would be best. That makes most sense to me anyway.

mr_nothin said:
How would you handle wanting to be able to stop moving forward and then strafe AND wanting to be able to move diagonally (strafe + moving forward) at the same time??? You'd have to add a button to reset the position and that adds another layer of unnecessary complication.

If you mean strafe and then 'diagonal strafe', I think it would be possible to detect as significant a shift as that from purer 'left' rotation to left+up and to figure out from that that we're now going diagonally, without a reset. If we can reset automatically from going forward to going left the same can be done for shifts to other directions. Unless I'm missing something (?) I think maybe at most a toggle to turn movement on or off could be useful, but once actually moving I think it should be pretty easy to figure out what direction you should be going in without having to reset anything in between changes in direction.

Some of this might depend on how good the 'absolute' positioning is and the motion track over time. If it can keep track of this robustly over time I think it can work out that 'up' is really up and down is really down etc. so that you won't end up confusing it as to what it's supposed to be doing with the wand's current orientation. Thus you won't have to 're-center' it. But it's impossible to say for sure without having one, so...we'll see.

yurinka

It looks so precise and fast, and looks like will be perfect for certain games, but I need to see specially how it manages the left analog movement, the lack of buttons compared to DS3 and how it works with CPU heavy usage AAA games.

Edit: Mmm... I just had an idea to do both analogs FPS behaviour using just a wand. To rotate it using as a pointer would be the right analog movement (pointing/camera rotation), and displacing it left, right, backwards and forward just some centimeters would be the left analog movement (walk in these directions). It would be so intuitive since it's the same movement of the character and rotation of the gun/camera. Another option is using the rotation to pointing and head tracking to rotate the camera.

If it's as precise as it looks, and just having the feedback of the tv, it would work even to find the neutral / center position fast and easy.

Huggy

Disappointed with part 3. They showed aiming and moving about, but it was all absolute. You step left, cam goes left. You rotate right, cam rotates right.

That might be good for quick adjustments such as peaking, but I can't walk long distances or rotate in circles when playing a game. We need analogue sticks to add relative input to this sort of functionality. One for movement, one for rotation. Still not convinced this wouldn't work for non-housewives.

cakefoo

Huggy said:
Disappointed with part 3. They showed aiming and moving about, but it was all absolute. You step left, cam goes left. You rotate right, cam rotates right.

That might be good for quick adjustments such as peaking, but I can't walk long distances or rotate in circles when playing a game. We need analogue sticks to add relative input to this sort of functionality. One for movement, one for rotation. Still not convinced this wouldn't work for non-housewives.
DS3 for movement, and a modifier button you would hold down to activate free-look mode on the right wand to turn ala Gyromouse.

Huggy

cakefoo said:
DS3 for movement, and a modifier button you would hold down to activate free-look mode on the right wand to turn ala Gyromouse.

I don't know, might as well get a Wii without the Micky Mouse solution.

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this, but I REALLY hope that back button gets taken off the final version of the controller. I absolutely loathe the Wiimotes back button, keeps my index finger from finding a resting place thus making my thumb less versatile.

edit - also :lol at analog stick guys

Zaptruder

Banned
No analog sticks would mean that I just don't give a damn about the whole thing.

Retarded. This was their big chance to extend the functionality of gaming, not create a Wii lite.

DrXym

These technical demos are extremely interesting but I see the device suffering from the same sort of gratuitous gesture controls that the wii suffers from.

I hope that games that make use of this thing only do so for precise 1:1 mapping or don't bother with it at all. Precise mapping is what makes motion control work. Making users wave abstract shapes (which the game promptly ignores or misinterprets) is a complete misapplication of the technology.

Gestures royally stink. They stunk for mouse based games (e.g. Black & White), they stink in the Wii and they'll stink in the PS3 controller too if / when they start appearing.

I also wonder if the motion control heralds an age of crappy Wii ports for the PS3. Not a very encouraging thought. On the plus side, motion control combined with a pile of PSN downloadable mini games might prove a very sucessful way of attracting casuals.

Zaptruder said:
No analog sticks would mean that I just don't give a damn about the whole thing.

Retarded. This was their big chance to extend the functionality of gaming, not create a Wii lite.

Who said there wouldn't be an analogue stick..?

If Sony does the following things this device will fail with the casual crowd:

o Not Bundling the motion controler and PSeye with the PS3
o Porting Wii games over to the PS3. (Soccer moms already own the Wii and this offers them nothing more).
o Having too high of a price for the console/controller (duh)
o Not putting an effort behind this and creating hype and a new launch for this (advertising and getting the word out by creating a huge launch with mega titles).

This can't be treated like sony's previous pet products (see eyetoy)

o Creating me too games and not trying to do something different to show that they can do something other than "Me too" with the Wii.
o Not having exclusive games that you can only get and play with their motion controller and something that you can't get anywhere else.
o Launching in spring instead of Christmas (Christmas is when you buy video games and consoles, not spring. Spring is the worst time of the year to launch a platform).

Trainwreck incoming...

The hardcore will reject it because it won't work with a standard controler and because there are no analog joystick control and ony one wand.

All of the hype at E3 was driven with a two wand solution and the promise from the patents that it would have an analog stick and also there is a limit of how many sticks you can use since you can use a max 2 per person for the best control and if you have four people they are out of luck. :(

If Sony can get around the other issues above they can avoid the oncomng disaster, but they need to do it before it is too late.

Sony are you listening?

Raist

Banned
LivingEarth said:

o Porting Wii games over to the PS3. (Soccer moms already own the Wii and this offers them nothing more).
o Not putting an effort behind this and creating hype and a new launch for this (advertising and getting the word out by creating a huge launch with mega titles).

o Creating me too games and not trying to do something different to show that they can do something other than "Me too" with the Wii.
o Not having exclusive games that you can only get and play with their motion controller and something that you can't get anywhere else.
o Launching in spring instead of Christmas (Christmas is when you buy video games and consoles, not spring. Spring is the worst time of the year to launch a platform).

Trainwreck incoming...

The hardcore will reject it because it won't work with a standard controler and because there are no analog joystick control and ony one wand.

All of the hype at E3 was driven with a two wand solution and the promise from the patents that it would have an analog stick and also there is a limit of how many sticks you can use since you can use a max 2 per person for the best control and if you have four people they are out of luck. :(

If Sony can get around the other issues above they can avoid the oncomng disaster, but they need to do it before it is too late.

Sony are you listening?

Why would they listen to a post which is 80% wrong/speculation?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LivingEarth said:

Trainwreck incoming...

All the things you listed about sony's previous pet products, i.e. eyetoy...didn't happen with eyetoy. It was a unique and exclusive experience you couldn't get anywhere else, really.

I don't know what your expectations are for it vs Sony's, but I don't think anything other than 'Wii success' would be a trainwreck. They're not going to bundle it with the system, of that I'm fairly sure. There will be Wii ports if only because it's an economical way to expand content for it - and that's fine, because there are plenty of people who don't have a Wii. There will I'm sure be exclusive content for it, obviously if only by virtue of having SCE working on it. Eyetoy and, now, eye are cheap and were and are bundled 'gratis' with games, so I don't expect price will suddenly become a huge sticking point with this either.

Sticking the thing in every PS3 sold from Spring on would basically be a move to make it the new standard controller but I think Sony's indicated that this isn't the role for this. It would obviously ensure massive adoption, but I'm sure there's a middleground between that scenario and 'trainwreck', a middleground it's likely to fall into.

gofreak said:
All the things you listed about sony's previous pet products, i.e. eyetoy...didn't happen with eyetoy. It was a unique and exclusive experience you couldn't get anywhere else, really.

I don't know what your expectations are for it vs Sony's, but I don't think anything other than 'Wii success' would be a trainwreck. They're not going to bundle it with the system, of that I'm fairly sure. There will be Wii ports if only because it's an economical way to expand content for it - and that's fine, because there are plenty of people who don't have a Wii. There will I'm sure be exclusive content for it, obviously if only by virtue of having SCE working on it. Eyetoy and, now, eye are cheap and were and are bundled 'gratis' with games, so I don't expect price will suddenly become a huge sticking point with this either.

Sticking the thing in every PS3 sold from Spring on would basically be a move to make it the new standard controller but I think Sony's indicated that this isn't the role for this. It would obviously ensure massive adoption, but I'm sure there's a middleground between that scenario and 'trainwreck', a middleground it's likely to fall into.

Nobody is going to sell like the Wii, that is just not rational or realsitic. However, that doesn't mean that the platforms are going to be a failure when it doesn't sell as well as Wii. Remember, soccer moms already have their video game fill. So, they are unlikely to get anything else.

However, by doing the things that I have listed Sony will be giving their product such a less chance at any reasonable success that I don't really think it would be worth it (IMO).

Here is the issue. Wii ports without Nintendo games are almost worthless. The best games on Wii are Nintendo games (everyone knows this) and who is exactly going to buy these wii ports? The hardcore gamers in this threat who don't own a wii because they don't care about the wii?

The causual people like soccer moms are not going to buy a PS3 and most hardcore sony fans and people on ths forum hate wii and for those that do love wii games, they already own a wii. So, how exactly is this going to work?

Remember, the PS3 controller already has less functionality out of the box than the wii controller that I played Mario Galaxy with today

kinggroin

Banned
gofreak said:
Ha, yeah, it's easy to forget you don't need an analog to 'replicate' wasd+mouse. But it should be acknowledged that it is slightly different to use 4 buttons with one thumb than using three fingers on a keyboard for wasd..

The other movement option if there is no analog stick is to treat the wand as a wireless, untethered 'joystick' in the air (as suggested out of that video). For couch play it's good that it's not tethered to a base, but on the downside you lose the 'auto centering' of a joystick (or analog stick).

Of course with an analog stick you have that plus all these other options too.

SMK/Playmore tried this with the wiimote in Metal slug anthology.

It sucked....hard.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Let me put it this way - not all of the things you mentioned are critical to the reasonable success of the wands. I think the reality will be that they do some of things mentioned, and not do others. For example, I think it will be affordable, but won't be bundled with the console. I think there will be some Wii ports, but there'll also be exclusive original content.

On the latter point, is the Wand library better off or worse off with ports from Wii? Forget about whether the games would appeal to the audience or not*, would be successful or not, and just consider if the library would be better or worse with additional games from the Wii library? And then ask based on that if Sony should be stopping developers from porting Wii games?

* on that note, though, I think you're making some vast generalisations and simplifications based on a narrow view cultivated from message boards.

kinggroin said:
SMK/Playmore tried this with the wiimote in Metal slug anthology.

It sucked....hard.

I've not tried that...but it's possible the wands might be better suited to this setup if they have better positioning info and the like as Sony claims. It's just a thought anyway, as I said a number of times it's not really possible to say if it'd be a good approach without having one to try.

Raist

Banned
LivingEarth said:
Nobody is going to sell like the Wii, that is just not rational or realsitic. However, that doesn't mean that the platforms are going to be a failure when it doesn't sell as well as Wii. Remember, soccer moms already have their video game fill. So, they are unlikely to get anything else.

However, by doing the things that I have listed Sony will be giving their product such a less chance at any reasonable success that I don't really think it would be worth it (IMO).

Here is the issue. Wii ports without Nintendo games are almost worthless. The best games on Wii are Nintendo games (everyone knows this) and who is exactly going to buy these wii ports? The hardcore gamers in this threat who don't own a wii because they don't care about the wii?

The causual people like soccer moms are not going to buy a PS3 and most hardcore sony fans and people on ths forum hate wii and for those that do love wii games, they already own a wii. So, how exactly is this going to work?

Remember, the PS3 controller already has less functionality out of the box than the wii controller that I played Mario Galaxy with today

And why exactly would the casual market not buy a PS3 with this new controller? It's like saying won't buy an HDTV or a BD player because they already have a TV and a DVD player.

As for core gamers, many people (on GAF or not) "hate" the Wii because 1) Where the Wii has innovated, it's been barely used/too imprecise in core games and 2) this audience feels like 90% of the library looks "last gen". The PS3 might have less issues on both these points, I think.

kinggroin

Banned
gofreak said:
Let me put it this way - not all of the things you mentioned are critical to the reasonable success of the wands. I think the reality will be that they do some of things mentioned, and not do others. For example, I think it will be affordable, but won't be bundled with the console. I think there will be some Wii ports, but there'll also be exclusive original content.

On the latter point, is the Wand library better off or worse off with ports from Wii? Forget about whether the games would appeal to the audience or not*, would be successful or not, and just consider if the library would be better or worse with additional games from the Wii library? And then ask based on that if Sony should be stopping developers from porting Wii games?

* on that note, though, I think you're making some vast generalisations and simplifications based on a narrow view cultivated from message boards.

I've not tried that...but it's possible the wands might be better suited to this setup if they have better positioning info and the like as Sony claims. It's just a thought anyway, as I said a number of times it's not really possible to say if it'd be a good approach without having one to try.

Positioning information doesn't play into this (why would the game care WHERE your wand is?). The SNK implimentation uses the tilt (accelerometers) to determine how far left or right the wiimote is tilted, but it's the lack of snap-back and a pivot point that makes this more of a poor gimmick than anything else. One neg. side effect for example is that you find yourself constantly moving your character while trying to find your center point again. It makes for a very straining activity over the course of the game.

I guess increasing the deadzone would help a little, but then you'd have to exagerate movement more....

...the whole thing is just a step back imo. Holding the DS3 in one hand, using the wand as a virtual arcade stick, these are the things that would put people off to the idea of motion control on the PS3.

If we have to have a wand sans analog attachment, then focus on genres and gameplay types that play to the controller's strengths. Then let the chips fall where they may.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I assume that if you can know when 'up' is actually up at all times (and when down is down etc.) and it doesn't get skewed by relative measurements all the time then it might help with 'finding your center'...since your center would be the same all the time. Reference to a movement toggle was sort of aimed at that problem too though.. tweaking the central 'dead zone' might help some too. I don't know if that's the problem you're talking about with the wiimote, if it gets 'confused' sometimes about where it is relative to the center because of accumulate relative measurements, but that's sort of what I was thinking of when I was talking about 'absolute' positioning or orientation. I'm not sure though, that may not be a problem with the wiimote either?

The snap-back and lack of a fixed pivot point are challenges though, sure.

I totally agree that an analog stick would open up the whole range of options, I'm by no means suggesting this would be 'better' as much as a possible option in the absence of a stick. Maybe it would be too finnicky in practise for the lack of snap-back or easy 'stopping'.

pcostabel

Gold Member
kinggroin said:
If we have to have a wand sans analog attachment, then focus on genres and gameplay types that play to the controller's strengths. Then let the chips fall where they may.

That's precisely what Sony will do, and probably the reason not to put in the analog stick in the first place. Core games work perfectly well with the DS, and wand support will not help sales to casuals. The wand is designed to broaden the genres available on the platform. Using it in an FPS makes zero sense.

Raist said:
And why exactly would the casual market not buy a PS3 with this new controller? It's like saying won't buy an HDTV or a BD player because they already have a TV and a DVD player.

As for core gamers, many people (on GAF or not) "hate" the Wii because 1) Where the Wii has innovated, it's been barely used/too imprecise in core games and 2) this audience feels like 90% of the library looks "last gen". The PS3 might have less issues on both these points, I think.

Because mom and pop isn't going to buy a $300 game machine that wasn't made for them in the first place. It is not going to fly. Hardcore gamers will buy a PS3, but mom and pop isn't going to buy and add-on for the PS3 that is for them. The device has to be in the box for them.

A lot of the wii stuff is filler and people are not buying it. They are buying the Nintendo games like Wifit (which could not be played on the Sony console), and wii sports and the rest of the quality software Nintendo makes. I am not saying that everything else is filler on Wii, there are other companies that are making gems and Nintendo is making quality software, but just like the DS, there is a lot of filler and then every once in a while you get a good game. I almost think there is more filler than good software.

It just seems like a lot of you are reaching. Like oh yeah you can use a DS3 along with the wand. That is just fanboy rose-colored glasses right there. No developer in their right mind is going to code for that.

Also, I would like to see something like XNA come out for the PS3 and also supporting the Wand. Could you imagine what you could do with that? Hopefully, Microsoft opens XNA up to Natal. That could go places!

Like it has been suggested a Wand - SixAxis fusion would be optimal for adoption rate, but a nightmare to implement and one needs to take into account the impact it would have in the busyness model regarding Sonys's traditional shock controllers. So it most likely wont happen with the PS3.

So that leaves the Wand. The thing is that not only it should be shipped with the console but, ideally, in pairs. Nintendo tried to go with just a wand solution but reality made them realize, that complex games required a more robust or complete input solution hence the Nunchaku was conceived.

As for the wands button lay out: 4 face buttons, 1 analog trigger with a last "click" (think GC controller) and short thumbstick with click. For the thumbstick maybe something like Neogeo pocket but analogue and more responsive.

Spydy

Banned
Anyone notice the lag from the PSEye on the dev blog on Gamertrailers?

A little worrying unless it's all ironed out before release.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Sony should hold this back until PS4.

Add an analog nub and bundle it with the console as the standard controller.

Makes everyone happy. Tacked on shit like this is bound to fail miserably.

Jostifer

No. It's better to get it out as soon as possible, even if it doesn't become a big success it's very good to have it out there and let devs and dedicated gamers get their hands on this. It will only improve the product.

RobertM

Dizzan said:

It will be bundled with PS4, I will bet on it. Wand to PS3 will be the same as Analogs to PS1.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
RobertM said:
It will be bundled with PS4, I will bet on it. Wand to PS3 will be the same as Analogs to PS1.

Which were bundled with the system eventually...

psone.jpg

You mean like the PS3 was $600 and people on message boards said it wouldn't sell?
You mean that kind of narrow view cultivated from message boards?

Sony would have been better off putting it out with the PS4 so they could do it right and not half assed (assuming the items that I listed).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LivingEarth said:
You mean like the PS3 was $600 and people on message boards said it wouldn't sell?
You mean that kind of narrow view cultivated from message boards?

Errr...no. That's kind of coming out of left field. I dunno what that has to do with what we're talking about. Sometimes 'narrow message board views' do coincide with broader expectation, but game taste isn't one I'd include in that list.

There's 20m+ people out there with PS3s. Assuming they all 'hate' Wii games or Wii content or motion control content or would as a matter of principle not buy any on PS3 is a bit much. I think coming to that conclusion is indeed a viewpoint skewed by spending too much time with the ps3 'fans' and fanboys who 'hate' Wii/motion-control games. You can't take that as a general reflection of the audience. I mean look at that NPD console ownership survey...there was IIRC a good portion of PS3 owners who also own a Wii. How many of them might be interested in certain Wii games in HD or other native 'wand' games? How many more might be interested but can't or don't want to buy a second console?

There are lots and lots of ways Sony could inadvertently or otherwise end up limiting the audience for this - for sure. But I'd be careful about drawing conclusions about what the audience could or couldn't take to.

gofreak said:
Errr...no. That's kind of coming out of left field. I dunno what that has to do with what we're talking about. Sometimes 'narrow message board views' do coincide with broader expectation, but game taste isn't one I'd include in that list.

There's 20m+ people out there with PS3s. Assuming they all 'hate' Wii games or Wii content or motion control content or would as a matter of principle not buy any on PS3 is a bit much. I think coming to that conclusion is indeed a viewpoint skewed by spending too much time with the ps3 'fans' and fanboys who 'hate' Wii/motion-control games. You can't take that as a general reflection of the audience. I mean look at that NPD console ownership survey...there was IIRC a good portion of PS3 owners who also own a Wii. How many of them might be interested in certain Wii games in HD or other native 'wand' games? How many more might be interested but can't or don't want to buy a second console?

There are lots and lots of ways Sony could inadvertently or otherwise end up limiting the audience for this - for sure. But I'd be careful about drawing conclusions about what the audience could or couldn't take to.

I never said that PS3 owners hate Wii. I said that a lot of them are going to own Wii and have already played the games on there and a lot of those games are going to be higher quality Nintendo games. The PS3 owners who already don't have a Wii already are most likely not interested in the Wii games. A few can't afford a wii after paying for the PS3, but that is going to be a small minority.

Having ports of the worst wii titles is not going to help your motion control platform. There is a reason why most people who own a wii only buy Nintendo games because Nintendo = quality and only a handful of third parties can actually make quality games on the Wii. Most of the wii software is not high quality software and just used as filler software to try to make a buck on the current trend. Like I said there are some higher quality software from third parties but not many can match Nintendo for quality.

I also seriously doubt mom and pop is going to go into a store and buy a $300.00 PS3 that is not geared towards them and then a $75 dollar (at the very least) controller on top of that just to play a few games that they could play with their own wii. Sorry, common sense tells me no.

I would like to see Sony have a huge success for thier motion controls, but it looks like they are out to let it fail.

You are far too optimistic which I think is extremely unrealistic about the true reality of the situation.

AAK

How many different Sony hardware are being sold in the market today?

PS2slim, PSP3000, PSPGo, PS3 160 GB, PS3 40 GB, PS3 Slim 120 GB, PS3 250 GB, and now the PSWand?

AndyD

aka andydumi
AAK said:
How many different Sony hardware are being sold in the market today?

PS2slim, PSP3000, PSPGo, PS3 160 GB, PS3 40 GB, PS3 Slim 120 GB, PS3 250 GB, and now the PSWand?

There are only 2 PS3 models in production, the Slim and Slim 250.

Just because you can still find old stock of the others here and there that does not make it "on the market" in my opinion. Heck, some stores even find small old stock of 60gb and the MGS bundle occasionally in a back room, but that does not make it available at large.

So PS2 Slim, PSP and PSP Go, PS3 Slim and PS3 Slim 250. That's pretty good.

AnIco

Interesting.

Yoshida mentions that the motion controller hardware still isn't finalized yet.

Analog sticks or nunchuck incoming?

Only makes sense..

Raistlin

Dizzan said:

You seem to be missing the point. Whether it's a success or a failure, the feedback received is crucial for determining how to proceed next gen. They will learn a lot by releasing it this gen.

It's quite similar to PSP go in that regard.

Agent X

I do like the idea of swapping the face buttons for a digital pad or analog stick. This Joystiq article also mentions this concept, and the picture in the article illustrates it well. This would address the earlier debate of whether it would be better to have face buttons or a directional control on the wand--the user can customize it to fit whatever game he's playing.

By the way, this is not an entirely new concept. This PS2 controller enabled the user to reposition the analog sticks, digital joypad, or face buttons into different configurations according to preference.

mr_nothin

Banned
Cross post:

Swappable buttons/dpads/analogs is a great direction to go in. Means you have a homogenous/uniform setup where you dont really have to buy 2 seperate sticks for everyone. If you have 2 sticks laying around, you can play a simple 2 player game and when that person doesnt want to play...you can play a more complex single player game with both remotes (face buttons on 1 and analog on the other).

This makes too much sense though, I dont see them using it :lol

Top Bottom