• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUE 1:1 3D Sony Remote Discussion

gerg

Galvanise_ said:
Disagree. If Sony want motion controllers for the PlayStation, they should use the PlayStation symbols. They really distinguish them from the competition visually and are interesting when used in marketing (See Playface).

But they're also abstract symbols, ones which I would argue have less resonance with the general public than letters of the alphabet or digits.

Those symbols to anyone who have had a Playstation in the past, when Sony were market leaders will have fond memories of the prior consoles and immediately will be familiar with them when they pick up the controller,

But I thought the point of the motion controller was to sell the PS3 to people who have never bought a PlayStation (or any games console, for that matter, perhaps with the exception of anything before the N64 of PS1) before, no?

and for all the new people to Playstation, the Sixaxis and Dualshock 3 use the symbols anyway so people will have to use them.

So Sony wants people not to use their motion controller?

Dizzan

MINI Member
I'm with TTP on this.

I was excited for it at first. Basically HD motion games with super precise controls but no analogs = Fail.

They have the perfect controller with the DS3. Basically just split it in half and add in the motion stuff. How fucking hard can it be??

gerg said:

We all bought PlayStations at some point and got along fine with them. When I got my PS1 I'd been playing Sega and Nintendo for most of my life and I took to the PlayStation symbols with ease.

Grandad will be fine. Grandma will be fine. If they can pick up a Wiimote and use the controls on that will no prior knowledge of games controls, they are smart enough to be able to use the PlayStation shapes.

The symbols are abstract, but they work, are individual and aren't hard at all to use/recognise.

The general public aren't smart, but they are smart enough to press X when prompted.

Take for example my four year old cousin. I was able to play LittleBigPlanet with her and we had a ton of fun. I could even say to her, 'oh, press X here to jump over. . .' and she got it no problem. If a 4 year old girl can get the symbols, people with more developed brains can.

gerg

Galvanise_ said:
We all bought PlayStations at some point and got along fine with them. When I got my PS1 I'd been playing Sega and Nintendo for most of my life and I took to the PlayStation symbols with ease.

Define "we all". I find it hard to believe that "granddad" and "grandma" ever bought a PS1.

Grandad will be fine. Grandma will be fine. If they can pick up a Wiimote and use the controls on that will no prior knowledge of games controls, they are smart enough to be able to use the PlayStation shapes.

The symbols are abstract, but they work, are individual and aren't hard at all to use/recognise.

Perhaps it is fairer to say that Sony should abandon the "diamond" button layout, in favour of a vertical positioning a la the Wii Remote. This might be a bigger problem than the numbering of the buttons themselves. Nevertheless, I still stand by my point that whatever they design should try to be as pedestrian as possible, and I feel that this should be reflected throughout all the aspects of the controller's design.

Take for example my four year old cousin. I was able to play LittleBigPlanet with her and we had a ton of fun. I could even say to her, 'oh, press X here to jump over. . .' and she got it no problem. If a 4 year old girl can get the symbols, people with more developed brains can.

It depends how much experience with games, in general, she has. Ideally Sony would be targeting people who have never played games before, and in doing so they should not take for granted that they will be accustomed to, or have accepted, video game conventions.

And again, anecdotal experience is all fine and dandy, but I don't think it can tell us much.

mr_nothin

Banned
gerg said:
But they're also abstract symbols, ones which I would argue have less resonance with the general public than letters of the alphabet or digits.

So shapes have less resonance than letters and digits? Really?
Circles and squares dont resonate with the general public enough to use them to represent something? So millions of ads fail then?

I'd say letters/numbers/shapes/colors are all just about equally resonant with the general public. They're all like the baseline of our learning. We learned shapes and colors before we learned letters and numbers....

spwolf

mr_nothin said:
What about movement though. Still havent covered that.
We're just going to stand there and look around and swing at stuff so far.

Motion controls for movement wouldnt work. At least give us a D-pad if you're not going to have analog.

you will have plenty of buttons for movement... maybe they could use voice recognition and you can yell "UP, UP, UP, LEFT, UP"

:lol

gerg

mr_nothin said:
So shapes have less resonance than letters and digits? Really?
Circles and squares dont resonate with the general public enough to use them to represent something? So millions of ads fail then?

I'd say letters/numbers/shapes/colors are all just about equally resonant with the general public. They're all like the baseline of our learning. We learned shapes and colors before we learned letters and numbers....

As I said above, I think it might be fairer to say that it is the positioning of the buttons that is more of a problem. So I agree that my earlier comment may have been incorrect, but I would still assert that we don't label things, in general, with shapes. Instead, we use numbers and digits: we press the "1" button on the TV remote, not the "X" button.

Look at the GameCube controller: like it or loathe it, Nintendo tried to establish a clear hierarchy of buttons. The "a" button was the largest (and green), with a smaller red "b" button to its side, and two "kidney"-shaped "x" and "y" buttons surrounding it. On a standard DualShock, you have four buttons of similar size and shape, and you wouldn't be able to tell immediately which is more important than which (or if this is the case). I think that even using "1", "2", "a" and "b" presents the impression that "1" is more important than "2" and "a" is more important than "b".

cakefoo

Dizzan said:
I'm with TTP on this.

I was excited for it at first. Basically HD motion games with super precise controls but no analogs = Fail.

They have the perfect controller with the DS3. Basically just split it in half and add in the motion stuff. How fucking hard can it be??
Harder than it sounds. The ergonomics of the controller are not designed for one-handed use. The nunchuk on the Wii, however, is. I think the most difficult part would be in designing a face that had enough room so that an analog stick and 4 buttons can fit, while ALSO making both of these very comfortable and accessible for both children and adults.

Dragon

Banned
gerg said:
As I said above, I think it might be fairer to say that it is the positioning of the buttons that is more of a problem. So I agree that my earlier comment may have been incorrect, but I would still assert that we don't label things, in general, with shapes. Instead, we use numbers and digits: we press the "1" button on the TV remote, not the "X" button.

Personally I find it easier to remember with shapes or letters than numbers. Hence the reason for DNS in the first place :)

mr_nothin

Banned
gerg said:
X is also a letter :p

I still think saying "press triangle" has just as much meaning as saying "press 1" or "press Y" though. If there are newcomers to gaming then I think it doesnt matter either way because they'd still have to look down. But they'd recognize shapes just as fast as they do numbers.

Also, there are language barriers here. Not everyone uses the English alphabet in their language. Shapes are probably more universal.

cakefoo said:
Harder than it sounds. The ergonomics of the controller are not designed for one-handed use. The nunchuk on the Wii, however, is. I think the most difficult part would be in designing a face that had enough room so that an analog stick and 4 buttons can fit, while ALSO making both of these very comfortable and accessible for both children and adults.
I dont think he means literally. He's just saying that they should keep the basic design. Which is having the buttons and an analog on 1 side and then an analog and maybe a d-pad on the other side. Design around that very basic idea and come up with something comfortable and accessible.

Maybe I read you wrong though ;)

gerg

mr_nothin said:
X is also a letter :p

I still think saying "press triangle" has just as much meaning as saying "press 1" or "press Y" though. If there are newcomers to gaming then I think it doesnt matter either way because they'd still have to look down. But they'd recognize shapes just as fast as they do numbers.

Also, there are language barriers here. Not everyone uses the English alphabet in their language. Shapes are probably more universal.

But what about "press triangle" in relation to "press square"?

Again, I may be misdirected in my argument, in that it should concern most the placement of the buttons.

Furthermore, in Japan I'd concede that "circle" and "cross" are easily recognised; the former is associated with "yes", the latter with "no".

gerg said:
As I said above, I think it might be fairer to say that it is the positioning of the buttons that is more of a problem.

The position of the buttons are also PlayStation and again, I feel are easy enough for people to pick up. Ideally, I'd like the wand to have the buttons like the PSP Go! has, but smaller. Why fundamentally change a button layout that is accepted, is already familiar to more gamers than there are Wii owners (PS1 gamers + PS2 gamers + PS3 gamers + PSP gamers, even taking into account the overlap).

The diamond is easy to use. The shapes are easy to use. Both are awesome sauce and don't need changing. Having the diamond is easy to pick up because we as humans associate things with being up, down, left right etc and those are mirrored on the D-pad, which is why I wanted the two wand combo to have the d-pad on one and the shapes on the other. It keeps things simple, and keeps things PlayStation.

gerg

Galvanise_ said:
The position of the buttons are also PlayStation and again, I feel are easy enough for people to pick up. Ideally, I'd like the wand to have the buttons like the PSP Go! has, but smaller. Why fundamentally change a button layout that is accepted, is already familiar to more gamers than there are Wii owners (PS1 gamers + PS2 gamers + PS3 gamers + PSP gamers, even taking into account the overlap).

The diamond is easy to use. The shapes are easy to use. Both are awesome sauce and don't need changing.

Easy to use and accepted to and by whom?

Having the diamond is easy to pick up because we as humans associate things with being up, down, left right etc and those are mirrored on the D-pad,

But why would we immediately associate one button with "up" and another with "down"? A d-pad is intuitive because we expect that we would move upwards when we press "up" on the controller. What should we expect to happen when we press "triangle" on the controller?

which is why I wanted the two wand combo to have the d-pad on one and the shapes on the other. It keeps things simple, and keeps things PlayStation.

I think your view is based on years of experience with games controllers, and that you need to think outside the box when concerning people who may never have touched a gamepad in their life.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I hope people realise that having an analogue stick or even a d-pad on the wand to imitate 'wasd' movement in 'core' games is not going to work very effectively at all, it has to be separate from the wand like the Wii-mote and nun-chuck.

Huggy

I'm watching that video now and that circular area on the prototype looks like a big plated panel to me. Could be a analogue stick that's flat so you can rest your thumb on it.

More at TGS I suppose. (oops, part 3 next week)

noah111

Still Alive
lowrider007 said:
I hope people realise that having an analogue stick or even a d-pad on the wand to imitate 'wasd' movement in 'core' games is not going to work very effectively at all, it has to be separate from the wand like the Wii-mote and nun-chuck.
I disagree, it all depends on the style of the 'stick' but even if it's a standard DS3 analog then slapping that onto the PSmotes with a dip/pit into the controller, it shouldn't be so hard to use it while moving the wand around.

It's not like you should be forced to do complex analog stick movements simultaneously with wand gestures and motions.. Plus it's rare that you would be doing crazy movements with BOTH wands while in need of using the stick.

Huggy said:
I'm watching that video now and that circular area on the prototype looks like a big plated panel to me. Could be a analogue stick that's flat so you can rest your thumb on it.

More at TGS I suppose.
I hope you're right, but it doesn't look like that, especially from the recent gameplay video showing the button being pressed down on (with obvious displays).

gerg said:
Easy to use and accepted to and by whom?

But why would we immediately associate one button with "up" and another with "down"? A d-pad is intuitive because we expect that we would move upwards when we press "up" on the controller. What should we expect to happen when we press "triangle" on the controller?

Accepted by anyone who games on Playstation platforms, and that totals millions upon millions of people.

Want to know one of the secrets of the DualShock? Relative Symmetry. Having both the shapes and d-pad set up in a diamond shape means your thumbs move to the same position on the controller for both sides. Having the Analog sticks in the same position for both thumbs also adds to this.
Whether you conciously think to move your thumb to the 'up' position on the right side to use triangle doesn't matter. Subconciously, and in your motor reflex memory, you just do it. Your mind associates that the triangle is further up, and is in the 'up' position, and that makes the controller probably the most perfect to use controller out of all three for the mind to get to grips with.

My arguement for having the D-pad and the shapes set out in the same way, but on two controllers keeps in line with what a PlayStation controller has always been from a design point. . .symmetrical. In doing so, you keep something inherently PlayStation in a new controller. The existing fanbase knows exactly what to do, and the ease of the design, which is one of the other secrets of the DualShock, will allow new people to understand it and use it.

Just because Nintendo do thing one way, does not mean Sony should follow suit. Sony's motion controller is different to the Wiimote in more ways than people give it credit for, and I feel that by keeping certain DualShock aspects about the wands design, it will be a sleek and easy to use peice of hardware.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Sentry said:
I disagree, it all depends on the style of the 'stick' but even if it's a standard DS3 analog then slapping that onto the PSmotes with a dip/pit into the controller, it shouldn't be so hard to use it while moving the wand around.

I could be wrong but I'm sure Nintendo experimented with this and it didn't work/feel right which is why they decided to use a separate nun-chuck with the Wii-mote.

I also can't see it working well having it on the same stick imitating 'wasd' movement, imagine strafing left and looking right at the same time, and then switching your movents on the fly, it's too confusing.

Huggy

Sentry said:
I hope you're right, but it doesn't look like that, especially from the recent gameplay video showing the button being pressed down on (with obvious displays).

Which video? Link?

I was watching the first part now, and it's definitely analogue.... as a button for applying pressure when gripping. Damn this, I hope the thing tilts as well.

noah111

Still Alive
Huggy said:
Which video? Link?

I was watching the first part now, and it's definitely analogue.... as a button for applying pressure when gripping. Damn this, I hope the thing tilts as well.
It's an older video (from GC), I made a thread here. Scroll down and you'll see the image with the flashlight with controller 'directions' in the corner.. looks like a button.

BTW what's 'definitely analogue'? They were obviously talking about the trigger on the back of the controller not an analog stick.

lowrider007 said:
I could be wrong but I'm sure Nintendo experimented with this and it didn't work/feel right which is why they decided to use a separate nun-chuck with the Wii-mote.

I also can't see it working well having it on the same stick imitating 'wasd' movement, imagine strafing left and looking right at the same time, and then switching your movents on the fly, it's too confusing.
Like I said, you don't need to be doing complex things with both at the same time on one wand, that's why both controllers have sticks.. which isn't what Nintendo was exactly going after.

If you remember, many (ie most) of the concepts they were pumping out in the beginning were titles with dual motes, like drumming and whatnot. I suppose they went with the cheaper route of having a piece of plastic with a stick on it instead of two identical motes with both having such capabilities.

Also in this case things are different, these PSmotes won't be accompanying a PS4 or a new system like the Wii-motes did, this is an addition which means backward compatibility is also vital.

percephone

Neo Member
theBishop said:
Have they said if it must be a sphere? Could it be a dome or cylinder?

I think they said in one of the video that a known shape will do but the sphere has advantage that it's easy to find the center of it from all angle compared to other shape.

And a sphere look the same from the side, up or down

spwolf

Huggy said:
Which video? Link?

thats exactly what it is.... sentry analogue button is pressure sensitive (senses different levels of pressure) while digital is either 0 or 1.

Huggy

spwolf said:
thats exactly what it is.... sentry analogue button is pressure sensitive (senses different levels of pressure) while digital is either 0 or 1.

Yeah well he tilts the wand on it's back when he says that, might be talking about the trigger on the back. Don't know, wasn't that clear.
And from that picture from the GC demo it (circular area on the front) is highlighted as a button that needs to be pressed.

Still hoping for a non-housewife setup where it can be used as a stick. Maybe next week.

UntoldDreams said:
There's no comparison between the fictional pony show that Microsoft put out for Natal and the Tech Demo which Sony showed. Sony showed technology not much different than Wii Motion+ although very real and clearly within their abilities.

Microsoft showed a lot of Science Fiction level technology which honestly I have no idea what they were thinking.

The big thing I don't get about Natal is that its clearly beyond our current technology and way out of normal price points. I was shocked that Microsoft green lighted Molyneux to make these big promises about Natal and AI.

The final product simply can't be what was promised.

* Milo level of near realistic human AI is not possible today on supercomputers with a terabyte+ of ram much less on a Game console with highly limited resources.

In fact, if Microsoft had that much AI technology available I promise you it would be a product in Windows 7 to calculate your taxes, help you lose weight, and teach you to write your high school term papers. Clippy would be back. MS Bob would be resurrected.

They would easily beat up Google and rule Earth as masters of Computer AI.

* An interactive true 3D vision computer? Yes we do have this technology today which would work flawlessly for 3D gaming using $20,000 cameras and high power computers.

However a cheap camera with low resolution & framerate which actually can deliver anything beyond gimmick gaming? I don't understand why they needed to make these promises.

In every capacity I can think of they didn't need to promise all this stuff to "win" the casual market. What they release next year won't meet these expectations.

Nintendo will deliver as promised with motion+. Its a real working technology.

Sony will also deliver with eyetoy + disco wand. Its a realistic design in both cost + function.

I have no idea what Microsoft plans to do. Maybe they will fire Molyneux next year and take a different stance.

AI is not so much about what is real but what looks real. In other words the monsters that duck behind a rock don't really fear you, but pretend they do. It's all about acheiving the goal a fooling the person who is playing the game into thinking that the monsters are not just if-then statements.

AI is just trickery to get you to believe what you see with your eyes. Milo is programmed so if you respond it a certain way he will be programmed in that matter. If you laugh you are telling a joke, etc...

What does Natal give you? A significant amount of more data that you can use in your games with AI. It can try to read emotions and where you are in the room and use voice commands and respond back.

Dizzan said:
I'm with TTP on this.

mr_nothin

Banned
gerg said:
But what about "press triangle" in relation to "press square"?

Again, I may be misdirected in my argument, in that it should concern most the placement of the buttons.

Furthermore, in Japan I'd concede that "circle" and "cross" are easily recognised; the former is associated with "yes", the latter with "no".
I agree with what you're saying. It's just trade offs for going different directions and I'm pretty sure each company has their reasons for choosing their face button symbols.

Different reasons to go with different schemes.

noah111

Still Alive
gamerecks said:
Wait, no analog sticks are confirmed?
Of course not, but from what we can see from our own eyes is confirmation enough.

However, the current design and possibly even the button layouts are still in the prototype stages, who knows what they'll add on in the future.. we're simply using what we can see from their current plans and assuming that's the track they're heading on for future production.

mr_nothin

Banned
Sentry said:
Of course not, but from what we can see from our own eyes is confirmation enough.

However, the current design and possibly even the button layouts are still in the prototype stages, who knows what they'll add on in the future.. we're simply using what we can see from their current plans and assuming that's the track they're heading on for future production.
Are you the same Sentry on my friendslist? My KZ2 buddy?

lowrider007 said:

Not really. Well, ok, maybe. It depends on how much the user is willing to get away from the controls they know. A lot of PSP and N64 games used face buttons (right hand) to move, and it is incredibly awkward, but only at first since it's not the standard and not what we are normally comfortable with.

As for the need for an analog stick / d-pad, I'm a believer that if they got creative, it could easily be overcome. FPS games, even on PC, didn't start out the way they are now. I think with both this and Natal, the tech has so much potential that they could really do try and re-invent some genre instead of just adapting. Probably wouldn't happen because people would still want games that play like Call of Duty or whatever, which is why it would be a lot smarter to have an analog stick and cover traditional style and whatever they may come up with.

noah111

Still Alive
mr_nothin said:
Are you the same Sentry on my friendslist? My KZ2 buddy?
Indeed. :D Good times in the betas (LBP too remember!), though you haven't been online on that PSN in like two months! Not sure which of your PSN IDs was your primary one since there were several, lol.

Sorry for the OT.. :s

Jostifer said:
The E3 models seems like it had an analog stick but not their latest prototype which is probably pretty close to final.
It could have just been wishful thinking on our part, tbh.. now that the center button is oval shaped (instead of classic circular) it becomes more obvious that it's not a stick.

Older prototype could have simply been a large circle button. :\

Who knows, maybe they'll show us the whole wand including analog sticks next week on their blog...or during TGS.

Until then the PS3 wands are a massive failure in my eyes, a missed opportunity to bring motion control to the PS3 not only suited for shallow casual minigames or awkward/futile motion control implementation à la Wii in 90% of the other games.

It just seems to me, Sony doesn't want to appeal to their current customers at all (like promised earlier on: "hardcore games + wand ftw!"), but just want to cut a slice out of Nintendos cake. So it's just another Sony communication failure.
Instead of bringing motion controls to the next level, they just took a step back.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sentry said:
It could have just been wishful thinking on our part, tbh.. now that the center button is oval shaped (instead of classic circular) it becomes more obvious that it's not a stick.

Older prototype could have simply been a large circle button. :\

The designs they patented suggest it is/was a stick (and I don't mean that original patent, I mean the wand case designs that showed up just after e3), the side profile on those drawings very clearly showed that. I'm pretty sure the e3 wand had that stick too, whatever about others seen since.

Of course, none of these are final designs, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I suppose it's better to not expect one and be pleasantly surprised if it is there though :|

spats

shagg_187 said:
I was just wondering... won't that glowing ball suck shit loads of battery charge?

Oh and please have two separate controllers for I need my analog stick...

It's propably just a few leds covered with a matte plastic sphere. Won't drain too much juice.

Sony should just add a nunchuck to the Sony Remote. Surely they could bundle those together as it should me cheaper than 2 wands.

mvgllc.jpg

KillerAJD

I can't be the only one who would be o.k. with no analog stick, can I? It wouldn't be ideal, sure, but in something like an FPS, I would be fine with using one motion controller to control the view, while the other controls movement, using a setup like a N64 controller. Moving forward, left, right, and backward aren't something that I NEED an analog stick for. Hell, I use a keyboard on my PC, and it's the same idea. For other stuff, I could see it as a problem, but I also don't know if I'd be interested in other genres with the motion controller.

kinggroin

Banned
lowrider007 said:

Agreed.

Quite honestly, it could have worked with a dual wand setup so long as one of them WASN'T used for movement.

As it is, Sony should rip the DS3 in half, slide the analog stick to the top, and just have an admitted wiimote/nunchuck ripoff that potentially works MUCH better.

noah111

Still Alive
gofreak said:
The designs they patented suggest it is/was a stick (and I don't mean that original patent, I mean the wand case designs that showed up just after e3), the side profile on those drawings very clearly showed that. I'm pretty sure the e3 wand had that stick too, whatever about others seen since.

Of course, none of these are final designs, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I suppose it's better to not expect one and be pleasantly surprised if it is there though :|
Indeed. :(

TGS isn't far off now, but i'm beginning to have doubts that they won't even show much of the physical design even at that event, or it will be the exact same as it was in the R&D videos we've been seeing. :\

Either way, as long as they show some software along with it, I suppose i'll be pleased enough not to care what the things name is or what it's final appearance/button layout will be.

Couldn't you just use the motion sensors of a second remote instead of the left analog stick?
lean it forward = character moves forward
lean it to the right = characters strafes/turns right
etc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SolidusDave said:
Couldn't you just use the motion sensors of a second remote instead of the left analog stick?
etc.

I thought about that too.

Using it effectively as a joystick or a large analog stick. I thought you can hold the trigger and it switches to "movement" and the harder you press the trigger the faster you move in the direction of the tilt. Want to stop, let go of the trigger. And you can use it for other things like the shield demo.

And it could work I think, the question I have is how precise would it be. Hopefully enough. And how ergonomic holding the trigger in a lot for movement.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
SolidusDave said:
etc.
You could do this, or you could use a ds3 in one hand. Both solutions are basically a bodge to get it to work, same as the 6-axis might work for high velocity bowling but it is obviously an implementation that was never truly intended. As Sony is currently developing the hardware, anything that requires that hardware to be used in unconventional manners is obviously not how Sony intends the technology to be used. And if Sony doesn't intend the tech to be used that way then they won't be providing any significant software support. If they aren't supporting it then who will?

cakefoo

AndyD said:
I thought about that too.

Using it effectively as a joystick or a large analog stick. I thought you can hold the trigger and it switches to "movement" and the harder you press the trigger the faster you move in the direction of the tilt. Want to stop, let go of the trigger. And you can use it for other things like the shield demo.

And it could work I think, the question I have is how precise would it be. Hopefully enough. And how ergonomic holding the trigger in a lot for movement.
So you tilt to move, and you straighten the controller to stand still? As if that weren't bad enough: instead of just tilting more to turn faster, you'd... squeeze a trigger? What???

Or you could just sit with a DS3 in your lap. It's pretty comfortable that way.

I don't think it would feel that unconventional to have the dualshock in one hand for analog stick movement. It's already light enough to carry in one hand anyway.

noah111

Still Alive
KernelPanic said:
If the design of the controller isn't final yet, I don't see how they can have this thing out in Spring next year ...
It might not be final to us yet, for all we know they have a working production model in their pockets.

Top Bottom