• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True System Sellers. What systems have you bought for ONE game?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
SNES - Killer Instinct

PSX - NFL Gameday 98

PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X

PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 4, Street Fighter 4

I think most people in this thread missed the point.

Anyway, I bought an American Dreamcast at launch solely for NFL2K. I already had a Japanese Dreamcast and I was planning on holding off on purchasing an American system for a while, but as soon as we got our systems in (I worked at EB at the time) and I played NFL2K for the first time, I was absolutely blown away and just had to have it.

I've owned pretty much every popular system going back to the 2600, but this is the only time when a single game prompted me to buy a whole system. I can't even say the same for the Xbox and Halo because there were a few other games that I really wanted at launch.

Caoz

I was a Genesis boy.

Then street fighter came out on SNES only.

Had to buy the SNES and the $70 cartridge ASAP. :D

Gameboy415

Super Nintendo - To play the best games of all time :D
N64 - To play Super Mario 64 (3 days before the official launch date!)
PS3 - To play BluRays (but I have plenty of great games for it now, haha )

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gamecube: MGS: Twin Snakes

Too bad it sucked.

AwRy108

NES: Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt
SNES: Super Mario World / Street Fighter II
SEGA Genesis: Super Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting
SEGA 32X: Cosmic Carnage / NBA Jam
N64: Mario 64 / Killer Instinct Gold
SEGA Saturn: Virtua Fighter
PSOne: Tekken 2
Dreamcast: Soul Calibur
PS2: Jak & Daxter / Final Fantasy X
GBA: Golden Sun
GameCube: Super Mario Sunshine / Phantasy Star Online
XBox: Halo
PSP: Wipeout Pure / Ridge Racer
DS Lite: New Super Mario Bros. / Metroid Prime Hunters
PS3: Insomniac / Naughty Dog titles
Wii: Wii Sports / Mario Galaxy

CURRENT FAVORITE SYSTEM: PS3
FAVORITE SYSTEM OF ALL TIME: PS2
LIBRARY MOST LIKELY TO REPLAY: PSOne

The Wii. I bought it just for No More Heroes. Then I bought Galaxy at the same time and those were the only two games I had for like a whole year. I have 5 games for it now. :lol

hamchan

GC: Luigi's Mansion
Wii: Brawl
PS2: FFX
PS1: FFVII
Gameboy: Pokemon blue
GBC: Link's awakening DX
GBA: Golden Sun.

ptown

Only true system sellers for me that I can think of atm:
Super Mario 64 for N64.
MGS4 for PS3.
Wii Sports for Wii.
SNK vs Capcom: MOTM for NGPC.

darthbob

I bought a Gameboy Pocket for Pokemon :lol
Gameboy Color for Pokemon
Nintendo 64 for Zelda
GameCube for Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II :lol
Xbox for Star Wars: KotOR + Halo
Xbox 360 for Halo 3 (back in 2006) :lol
Upgraded the PC for Half Life 2

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
GameBoy Color = Pokemon Red
GameCube = Super Mario Sunshine (played it in MediaMarkt and fell in love)
Playstation 3 = MGS4
Wii = Wiisports

Bluecondor

dammitmattt said:
I think most people in this thread missed the point.

Anyway, I bought an American Dreamcast at launch solely for NFL2K. I already had a Japanese Dreamcast and I was planning on holding off on purchasing an American system for a while, but as soon as we got our systems in (I worked at EB at the time) and I played NFL2K for the first time, I was absolutely blown away and just had to have it.

I've owned pretty much every popular system going back to the 2600, but this is the only time when a single game prompted me to buy a whole system. I can't even say the same for the Xbox and Halo because there were a few other games that I really wanted at launch.

This is the same for me. Out of all of the consoles I've purchased, the DC was the only one I bought because of one game - NFL2K. I still remember being blown away when I saw it in action for the first time.

PSX: Gran Turismo (yeah, I got into it pretty late)
PS2: Metal Gear Solid 2

All other system were either gifts or bought for multiple reasons.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
PS2 - MGS2

Xbox - ninja gaiden (ended up disappointed with the system but the game was good)

Xbox 360 - Lost planet (disappointed with the game and system until mass effect.)

Wii - Mad world

PS3 - Final Fantasy XIII, MGS4, God of War 3

I bought a Gamecube for Animal Crossing, it was worth it at the time. With only 3 other games, it is by far my weakest system library.

Bought a PS3 in December 2007. to play TES IV and with hopes that Killzone 2 will get released in 2008...
Killzone 2 basically sold me on the system, because I could get TES IV on PC and Xbox 360 as well.

Evlar

Banned
I never would buy a system for just one game. I'm always aware that there are (or will be) several titles I'll consider necessary purchases for any system I own. If I'm not confident of that I won't buy the system.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ps3-MGS4, Blu Ray

N64-Mario64

NES-Super Mario Brothers

Dreamcast-Shenmue

That's pretty much it, I bought the other consoles at launch or for a collection of games rather than for just one.

I'm still waiting for a Wii killer app, though it's getting to the point that the mass of games I'm interested in (Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports Resort, NSMB) might justify one once the price drops to $199.

Prophane33

PSX: Final Fantasy VII (Parappa and Tekken sealed the deal)
PS2: Metal Gear Solid 2
PSP: Gran Turismo (Ridge Racers as well)
Xbox360: Dead or Alive 4 (Ridge Racer 6/DW Gundam as well)
NES: Super Mario Bros.
SNES: Super Mario World
N64: Virtual Pro Wrestling 2
GB: Donkey Kong Land
DSL: Didn't buy for one game, but Jump Superstars/Band Bros. sealed the deal.
Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Dreamcast: SOUL CALIBUR!
XBOX: Dead or Alive 3

rvy

Banned
28c2238.jpg

Bought a PS2 just for this. Didn't disappoint.

347y8ts.jpg

Same thing... except, well, you know... MGO is pretty alright, lol. Uncharted and WipEout HD saved the day.

2yk045s.jpg

Bought an Xbox, lol. Strange, yeah, but when I realized the awesomeness of Shenmue, they were no longer selling Dreamcasts.

16a5pir.jpg

Had no real interest in the NGC, then came E3 with the trailer. I didn't even know that Konami was not doing this in-house, I had high hopes for the game. Felt cheated as fuck, but I got to play RESI4 and Zelda, so... it balanced itself out. I got it new for 60€ anyway, it was more than worth the price.

I got a Nintendo Gamecube for Star Fox Armada which broke my heart, drained the joy and filled it with regret before sealing it back up with anger.

I kept the Cube and have had fun with it since then though. RE4 was a standout title. That's the title I should have bought it for.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
GCN: Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
360: Grand Theft Auto IV and its DLC chapters, Too Human

And when Heavy Rain is released, I hope I have the dough to buy a PS3 - though there are other titles that interest me, like LBP.

zoku88

I bought a Wii for Brawl, more or less. I kinda regretted it. Looks like more titles of my type are coming, though, so it's not so bad.

jayb

Genesis for the blood in Mortal Kombat that the SNES version didn't have.

N64 for Mario 64
PS3 for MGS4

zweifuss

SNES: Mega Man X
Dreamcast: Street Fighter III Double Impact, SF3:3S
XBOX: Outrun 2 and Ninja Gaiden
Gamecube: Metroid Prime and Zelda WW
PS2: ICO and SotC
GBA: Castlevania Circe of the Moon
360: cause everyone else had one
Wii: Mario Galaxy
DS: Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
PS3: Team ICO game 3, God of War 3, bluray
PSP: Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles

PS1 for Wipeout. My brother played my copy and did the exact same purchase a bit later.

Rushed to buy a Sega Saturn during the surprise launch when I saw Panzer Dragoon. In retrospect, I'm not exactly happy with that $400+ spur of the moment purchase but man that game looked amazing to me.

Sometime after the Dreamcast price dropped to $99 I impulse purchased a Dreamcast for Crazy Taxi (only game I had for that system for a while). Best cheap purchase I've made as I pick up games a decade later.

Xbox I bought just after release for Halo because I of reviews and the fact the game output widescreen 480p on my HDTV after buying the HD pack (first I knew of such an option on consoles at the time -- I was mostly PC gaming at the time). My buddy and I played the hell out of that game in co-op splitscreen.

Edit: forgot one, in college I picked up a SNES (had a Genesis for a while) solely for Super Street Fighter 2 to play with my roommate. Everything pointed to it being the superior version I so sprung for the game and console and a controller when it came out.

All other consoles I either bought day 1 (including this whole gen) so not really for a particular game -or- very late into their cycle (I didn't get a PS2 until after 360 came out -- and that was to play a whole list of games, not just one).

Wii- Mario Galaxy. Really the only Wii game that's made a big impression on me. I would have paid $1000 for a Wii even this was its only game

360 (July 2007) for Dead Rising/Lost Odyssey/Blue Dragon (never bought this one :lol )
PS3 (February 2009) for MGS4/Motorstorm 2
PSP (November 2007) for Wipeout Pulse
DS (Launch then DSi) for Mario Kart/Oendan

It's funny because even if I liked all of these games, they're not my favorites of their respective systems (except from Oendan). But they are still awesome.

I bought an Xbox for Halo because there wasn't any other killer-app on the system. PGR was alright but I didn't buy the system for that game.

Every other console I've purchased had a good lineup of games, not just one reason.

Why are people posting every single system they bought along with multiple games per system? Does anyone ever read the OPs anymore?

goomba

Banned
Mega Drive for Sonic
N64 for Goldeneye
Gamecube for Smash Brothers Meelee
DS for the Metroid Demo (pwned)
Wii for Zelda TP: waggle edition

Dipswitch

SNES - For Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Bastard game cost me $75 on top of the cost of the console too as I recall!

N64 - For Mario 64. A classic.

Gamecube - For Rogue Squadron. Never did finish it though......

Xbox - For Halo. Money well spent.

Xbox 360 - For Halo 3. Actually bought the game before I even had the console!

R2D4

Banned
PS1 - Final Fantasy 7
PS2 - Gran Tourismo 4
PS3 - Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds (lulz)
Xbox - Halo
Xbox 360 - Tom Clancy Advanced Warfighter

rataven

A numbered Final Fantasy game will sell a system for me. Bought all three Playstation systems and a PSP for the series.

Top Bottom