• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox desperately needs a system seller game, where is it coming from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikuNashi

So after the Starfield reviews came in it's clearly a good game. However it's not a great game and far from the system seller that MS were hyping it up to be.

So I ask you, where is the big Xbox exclusive 'must have' system seller game coming from?.

I don't consider racing games and flight sims broadly appealing enough to sell Xboxes, so what will MS pin their hopes on next?

DrFigs

I think Call of Duty can move some systems. This generation is kind of forfeit, but next gen, xbox will have a pretty crazy first party line up

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
TBH I think they need to go back into the dormant IPs that they have laying around. A good Perfect Dark reboot would be amazing, but it appears that as of now it's the Metroid Prime 4 of Perfect Dark. Start over if you need. Deliver.

A new actually great Halo game would do wonders. 343 was a mistake. They never made one good Halo. Infinite was about the worst thing to do. Don't abandon it or put it to the side like I heard. No. Get a new team, focus on a great campaign filled with secrets and rock solid multiplayer. I mean fucking CoD cannot hold a candle to Halo at it's best.

MAKE A NEW KILLER INSTINCT. The lastest KI was one, if not the best fighting game before SF6 came out. If Capcom can sell millions of SF6 copies, then do the same with Killer Instinct.

An actual good Banjo-Kazooie. Not Nuts and Bolts. An actual good game with a budget. To show what you have to offer.

And hell, you own Minecraft. Pull the trigger. Minecraft 2 console exclusive. Now THAT would be a megaton that would move units more than any Cod of Daddy games. That's one of the biggest IPs ever. Just do it.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Starfield is a great game and is a system seller. The game has better scores than Spider-Man and Miles Morales, if those are not system sellers then what are they ?

Nice troll though

Seriously do you think it will moves xbox's in big way?

I'm not trolling, just interested. Infinite was obviously supposed to be that game but fell flat, after that all we heard for over a year was Starfield which hasn't lived up to the expectations (unrealistic?) Placed on it by Phil.

Probably one of the major publishers. They just haven't bought the right one yet.

Sarcasm aside if they were clever they'd have brought HALO back to its best. That would've been ideal for them.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not all system sellers need a 90+ meta. (Although it helps!)

Hogwarts legacy is the best selling game so far this year at mid 80s meta.
Yeah but it's Harry Potter. I mean the new Pokemon games are OK and they sell a shit ton but are they mindblowing? Nah

NikuNashi

Basically, anyone saying Starfield can't be a system seller because of the meta score is also saying Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, or Spider-Man were not system sellers. Because guess what? Those are all rated 88 or below too, mofos.
But anyone who bought a PS5 with one of those games knew that GOW was in the cannon and guaranteed to be a great game, (turned out 94MC).

Stuart360

I think Starfield will sell systems, the question is how many. Gamepass needs a system to play on so thats in its favour.
You're also assuming that the masses will look at a game that has scores in the 7's, 8's, 9's, and 10's and will some how be put off by that?, and thats only talking about the people that actually even look at reviews in the first pl;ace as many dont.

Starfield will have the same effect it was always going to have, and a 88 score instead of a 90+ score isnt going to change that.

Replace 'Standards' with 'Starfield Threads'

2-uEVf2qvThArArpfR-HO6iZKZRHrENwtflTCZhPrfo.jpg

Starfield is a great game and is a system seller. The game has better scores than Spider-Man and Miles Morales, if those are not system sellers then what are they ?

Nice troll though
Spider-Man is a system seller because it's a good Spider-Man game. It wouldn't pull half it's sales if it was a new IP. Starfield is a great game but it is not a generation defining game. It may not even be nominated for GOTY

To answer the question, Microsoft doesn't have a massive release until Fable releases. Forza, Avowed, Hellblade won't be system selling games imo. Also, if Microsoft makes upcoming ABK GAAS exclusive then that could maybe move the needle too. But I'm not sure they'll do that since Sony is keeping Bungie 3rd Party

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Does Xbox need a "system seller"?. They seem to be depending on software sales over hardware sales. Their own inherit vision of putting games on as many platforms as possible goes against trying to make people want to buy an actual Xbox console. This is different from how Sony handles Playstation where you literally have to buy the console to play most of their 1st party lineup.

Last edited:
Microsoft has shown they cannot develop studios to produce AAA games after the 360. The company just is inept in creativity and buying companies on the downside isn't going to get them where they want to be.

God do I miss the old days of 360 and the blades and online bliss . They are fucked

feynoob

Banned
Spider-Man is a system seller because it's because it's a good Spider-Man game. It wouldn't pull half it's sales if it was a new IP. Starfield is a great game but it is not a generation defining game. It may not even be nominated for GOTY

To answer the question, Microsoft doesn't have a massive release until Fable releases. Forza, Avowed, Hellblade won't be system selling games imo. Also, if Microsoft makes upcoming ABK GAAS exclusive then that could maybe move the needle too. But I'm not sure they'll do that since Sony is keeping Bungie 3rd Party
Even if spiderman game is bad, it would still sell alot.
Starfield is the result of overhype. Its not a bad game, its a good that has been hyped nonstop.
As for system seller, we need to wait that until october.
General audience arent on forums. They are watching gameplays of starfield on twitch, tiktok and youtube.

noise36

Nothing will be a "system seller" because you can play all their games on PC day one, dont need to buy a "system". They are also cracked and playable for free pirated.

Sony and Nintendo force you to buy their "system" while MS dont so will never sell more consoles than the other two. No piracy or free or cheap way to play.

MS: Buy a game for RRP and buy a console for RRP, or dont, get a month of gamepass for cheap and/or play on PC or stream it.

Sony/Nintendo: Buy the game for RRP, Buy a console for RRP.

Its basic common sense what the outcome of those two strategies is for console sales.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

People trying to compare a high quality game of one of the most popular superheroes in the world, with a new videogame IP, are just fools. lol

And those guys keep ignoring the fact who Starfield were supposed to be much more than just a good game. People expected that to be the God of War/TLOU from Microsoft (at the level of critical acclaim), or have a appel like Elden Ring have last year.

Microsoft don't have buyed Bethesda thinking in get just a good game, they certaly expected a product who could put the Xbox brand name in another level. Remember: Microsoft have paid 9 BILLIONS for Bethesda.

It's just a question of cost-benefit, expectation and reality.

Mr Moose

We'll have to wait and see how well of a system seller it is, but the way it's been advertised...

Nice troll though
Does it?

feynoob

Banned
Microsoft has shown they cannot develop studios to produce AAA games after the 360. The company just is inept in creativity and buying companies on the downside isn't going to get them where they want to be.

God do I miss the old days of 360 and the blades and online bliss . They are fucked
Change management, and your wish will become true.

Holammer

Gonna take a few years, but when they finally acquire Activision they'll have a bunch of great studios capable of producing kickass system sellers.
Let them develop new stuff and I think they'll be able to outshine Sony's first party offerings. Maybe get some super hero licences, I firmly believe Daredevil would be a perfect fit for an Arkham/Spiderman style game.

Killjoy-NL

Remember when Phil Spencer sat down and basically said Xbox is becoming irrelevant and even Starfield wouldn't change anything?

Starfield was Xbox biggest shot.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

I was a 360 gamer that gen. Also I traded my PS2 for an Xbox with a mate just to play HALO and was not disappointed, it was a system seller. But I can't see where that is coming from for the Series.

Js562

Why do sales of game matter. Are you a part of there sales team lol just play the games
Explain It Season 5 GIF by The Office

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
This is the fourth thread I've seen where someone is pushing the "Starfield is a failure" narrative. And, technically, the game isn't even out yet.

As of right now, I'm considering Starfield as massive success because of how straight fucking shook its got some folks. Bethesda putting the diluted fear of Todd into these people.

NikuNashi

This is the fourth thread I've seen where someone is pushing the "Starfield is a failure" narrative. And, technically, the game isn't even out yet.

As of right now, I'm considering Starfield as massive success because of how straight fucking shook its got some folks. Bethesda putting the diluted fear of Todd into these people.
Never said it was a failure, in fact I said it appears good but not great as was expected given the hype.

DonJorginho

Banned
So many salty users right now who can't handle that the game wasn't a disaster and that hundreds of thousands of people are currently playing & LOVING the game via early access.

Such a pitifully poor attempt at war bait/worry bait, I will go back to my early access copy and laugh about this shit post whilst I travel the stars!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think Forza Horizon games are regularly sold (as a units or as means to get people to sub to gamespass) in huge quantities, played with the girl today and it was still packed with people for multiplayer and so on, pretty unexpected, but great.

Nothing will be a "system seller" because you can play all their games on PC day one, dont need to buy a "system". They are also cracked and playable for free pirated.

Sony and Nintendo force you to buy their "system" while MS dont so will never sell more consoles than the other two. No piracy or free or cheap way to play.

MS: Buy a game for RRP and buy a console for RRP, or dont, get a month of gamepass for cheap and/or play on PC or stream it.

Sony/Nintendo: Buy the game for RRP, Buy a console for RRP.

Its basic common sense what the outcome of those two strategies is for console sales.
I don't want to go through the aches and pains and costs of buying a gaming PC. I'll definitely buy a Series S if Microsoft puts out a good enough catalog. If Starfield was genre defining then I would immediately buy a Series S this weekend. As it stands now, I'll just wait for Microsoft's first party lineup to improve and then buy 1

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Seriously do you think it will moves xbox's in big way?

I'm not trolling, just interested. Infinite was obviously supposed to be that game but fell flat, after that all we heard for over a year was Starfield which hasn't lived up to the expectations (unrealistic?) Placed on it by Phil.

Not trolling, lol, this from someone who calls xbox fans green rats? Right.

Starfield looks to be a system seller still, your biased post doesn't negate that. Overall scores are high.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me system seller should solely based on the games YOU want to play rather than reviews scores. Just because a game gets high scores it’s no guarantee you gonna enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom