• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Attorneys Lay Out 2 Arguments Against Obstruction-of-Justice Probe to Mueller

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just want everyone to pump the breaks on the quality of trump's legal team -- which is probably a valid point-- to instead focus on the fact that their client is indefensible. Dude confessed to obstruction on national television.

Its not whether he's guilty or not. We are beyond a shadow of a doubt here. We have the crime, the motive, the evidence, a confession, and now an extended coverup. The defense's job at this point is to keep him out of jail and to minimize potential fallout.

Everything else is political noise.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Exactly. Like, Trump had the legal right to fire Comey. No one is arguing that. It's his motivations that are in question and could get him in trouble. Unless I am misunderstanding how Obstruction works.
He had the right to fire the FBI director.

He did not have the right to obstruct justice.

chekhonte

Huh? The most admired men in the world thing you link suggests he won in 69, 70, 71, and 72, and then never appeared again? To the extent that this is supposed to be an argument about the social consequences of his crimes, you just demonstrated he DID face a consequence?

To be fair, almost every year a person is president he is the most admired man of the year according to that chart minus the years ford was president.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Huh? The most admired men in the world thing you link suggests he won in 69, 70, 71, and 72, and then never appeared again? To the extent that this is supposed to be an argument about the social consequences of his crimes, you just demonstrated he DID face a consequence?

Valid. I missed that part. I don't think removing that point means that he somehow did not get away with his actions involving Watergate. The most damage done to him was to his public persona and not enough that prevented future Presidents from consulting him.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Wow, looks like James Comey exonerated Hillary Clinton long before the investigation was over...and so much more. A rigged system!

I mean the first memo is just them agreeing that he obstructed justice but that it's ok because he's the president, not the best of arguments.

gcubed

Just want everyone to pump the breaks on the quality of trump's legal team -- which is probably a valid point-- to instead focus on the fact that their client is indefensible. Dude confessed to obstruction on national television.

Its not whether he's guilty or not. We are beyond a shadow of a doubt here. We have the crime, the motive, the evidence, a confession, and now an extended coverup. The defense's job at this point is to keep him out of jail and to minimize potential fallout.

Everything else is political noise.

Yea I'm not sure many are saying they are idiots but 1) he had to find companies willing to defend him 2) some of them are ny slimeballs like him 3) when your client really admits to half the things, you are in a tight spot for a defense

Pbae

Wow, looks like James Comey exonerated Hillary Clinton long before the investigation was over...and so much more. A rigged system!

You're the President and you JUST found out?!

Bullshit. I can't wait to see you rot in prison.

epmode

This son of a bitch still complains like he's some powerless outsider. No one is in a better position to investigate and correct the problems he imagines. But yeah, whining on Twitter might work.

rjinaz

Without Hillary and Obama I'm not entirely sure the Republican party could function. They are like the glue that holds that party together.

Argument #1: Sure, he did it, but he's allowed to do it.

Argument #2: You can't trust that guy who said he did it.

I eagerly await Argument #3: He didn't do it and Comey doesn't exist.

To add to the Nixon parallels, I watched Stone's Nixon last night for the first time and was amazed by how Trump seems to base his presidency on how Stone portrayed the Nixon administration and the man himself. Even the dialogue is incredibly similar to Trump's speech patterns.

Hesemonni

Banned
JqT9uMG.png

Somebody should spam this image in Trump's twitter just to make it haunt him.

RPGCrazied

Look at what Trump just liked out of his 14 likes. What an idiot, but I agree with him on this. He's not Presidential material!

Untitled.png

Kyzer

Banned
One memo submitted to Mr. Mueller by the president’s legal team in June laid out the case that Mr. Trump has the inherent authority under the constitution to hire and fire as he sees fit and therefore didn’t obstruct justice when he fired Mr. Comey as director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in May, these people said.

The best lawyers

gaugebozo

The Constitution gives you the right to not quarter troops in your house. If you stop them by shooting them, I'm pretty sure it's still murder.

They aren't looking into Trump firing Comey, more than they are looking into WHY Trump fired Comey, because that "why" could be considered "Obstruction of Justice". Intention is an IMPORTANT part of nailing crimes to perps.

Of course, Trump and his goons live in in an "Alternative Reality" where they think the act of "leaking information" is WORSE than the content of the that information exposing the corrupt dealings within Trump's administration (corrupt and horrible dealings are MOST DEFINITELY worse, especially from government officials). They just don't want people to know. "Why can't I collude and fuck over the nation in privacy? Why does this have to be a public thing? Those damned LEAKERS, exposing my wrong-doings!!!"

WASHINGTON — The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, has obtained a letter that President Trump and a top political aide drafted in the days before Mr. Trump fired the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, which explains the president’s rationale for why he planned to dismiss the director.

The May letter had been met with opposition from Donald F. McGahn II, the White House counsel, who believed that some of its contents were problematic, according to interviews with a dozen administration officials and others briefed on the matter.

Mr. McGahn successfully blocked the president from sending Mr. Comey the letter, which Mr. Trump had composed with Stephen Miller, one of the president’s top political advisers. A different letter, written by the deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, and focused on Mr. Comey’s handling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server, was ultimately sent to the F.B.I. director on the day he was fired.

They have the letter his lawyer didn't want you to see.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/us/politics/trump-comey-firing-letter.html

Top Bottom