• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump claims Obama, other presidents never called families of fallen soldiers

I had a coworker tell me yesterday that he loves everything Trump is doing, especially because it makes no good liberals like me upset. He then preceded to lecture me on how I should be grateful that Republicans freed the slaves, that Democrats don't let black families choose good schools for their kids, they started the KKK and Jim Crow, etc. All of this to defend Trump; these types of people are truly sick I believe. He claims his life was a living hell under Obama, then I laughed in his face and he wanted to fight. What the fuck is going on?

I had a coworker tell me yesterday that he loves everything Trump is doing, especially because it makes no good liberals like me upset. He then preceded to lecture me on how I should be grateful that Republicans freed the slaves, that Democrats don't let black families choose good schools for their kids, they started the KKK and Jim Crow, etc. All of this to defend Trump; these types of people are truly sick I believe. He claims his life was a living hell under Obama, then I laughed in his face and he wanted to fight. What the fuck is going on?

I bet you he thinks he thought for himself as he parroted every Sean Hannity talking point of the last year or so.

Critical thinking and supporting Trump don't exactly go hand in hand but honestly if any of my co-workers said something like this to me they'd be hearing from HR by the end of the day. I have a lot of people in my office that I'm sure believe exactly the same stuff as that guy but they still have enough brain cells left to know not to verbalize them in my earshot.

kinggroin

Banned

Where in the hell do you work fam?!?

If a coworker is threatening to fight you, you might probably complain about that and get the dude fired. This does not sound OK at all.

Sojgat

Imagine how Trump would react to somebody screaming at him in such a situation. The guy is a scum with no empathy.

I honestly can't even imagine it. He'd simply avoid it at all costs. I also can't see him personally writing any letters either. The task would be delegated and then he'd just scribble his garish signature without even reading. Not only is he a coward and a liar, he's lazy.

I honestly can't even imagine it. He'd simply avoid it at all costs. I also can't see him personally writing any letters either. The task would be delegated and then he'd just scribble his garish signature without even reading. Not only is he a coward and a liar, he's lazy.

My bet is that he dedicates a golf trophy to the fallen Berets sometime this weekend.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I just ask people like this why the anger and outrage of their fellow Americans brings them so much joy and is such a focus for them. Some of the answers are hilarious in of themselves but just pick at that scab long enough and most of them wilt under their own ugliness being laid out in front of them like that. Or they just get really fucking angry.

I reckon he has advisors and his advisors were wrong, or even more likely, he heard what e wanted to hear and his own inarticualtion makes it come across as a hard fact.

Confident and arrogant people are used to asserting their opinion or interpretations that way. In normal situations, it comes across as just being assertive and confident of your own views. But situations that require sensitivity and complete honesty, it doesn't work.

Additionally, a decent person will listen to advice or counsel and NOT blame them when they choose to follow said advice. A decent person always accepts responsibility for their own actions, even if they are based on other people's information because ultimately, you choose who and what you take to heart.

Trump is not that kind of person.

No, I don't think it's that. Trump gets his news from Fox News. He's literally the racist grandpa that you hear about as a cliche except he's running the country. He's surrounded himself with people that believe the shit that Fox News puts out as well. Trump even praised Alex Jones and Infowars.

Trump isn't interested in thinking critically. Everything is about how "good" he's doing. That's why he attacks anything that's critical of him as fake news.

reKon

Banned

I would have probably beat the shit out of them and got fired on the spot. I can't handle that much ignorance in my face at once.

And I'm generally not a violent person.

Where in the hell do you work fam?!?
Lol, I work on the railroad. A lot of wannabe tough guys on the job, I've known this guy for 15 years; was my workout partner and everything. Last couple of years he started spouting all of this craziness on the regular; had to cut him off.

Ouroboros

What is making me angry, is that THIS is what MSM is picking up. This fake comment that trump said, because of course he said it, he throws shade at President Obama every chance he gets.

Why aren't we talking about health care and how he is royally screwing over millions of Americans?

Why aren't we talking about the ambush in Niger that trump refuses to speak about? (only to just make up likes about Pres. Obama)

Why aren't we talking about tax reform and (while I haven't looked into this, but can only assume) how it will royally screw over lower and middle class Americans?

WHY!?!?!?!?!

Zen Aku

Did you beat his ass? I would have. He's an insuferable fuck.

Ask him next time, if Republicans freed the slaves then why is his party so discriminating against black people. You'll probably make his brain explode.

Shadybiz

Why aren't we talking about tax reform and (while I haven't looked into this, but can only assume) how it will royally screw over lower and middle class Americans?

WHY!?!?!?!?!

There are still some unknowns with that one. We still don't know what the income levels are going to be for each bracket. We also don't know what "loopholes" will be eliminated for corporations (if any), or exactly what childcare credits/deductions will be offered. Can't really be scored until we know all of that.

For SOME reason, though, I have a feeling it will not really help lower and middle class people.

LOL, absolutely amazing that without even having to look it up you already knew the details because yes it completely does.
There are still some unknowns with that one. We still don't know what the income levels are going to be for each bracket. We also don't know what "loopholes" will be eliminated for corporations (if any), or exactly what childcare credits/deductions will be offered. Can't really be scored until we know all of that.

For SOME reason, though, I have a feeling it will not really help lower and middle class people.
The main focus of the tax plan is to shift the tax burden even farther away from capital gains and raise them on wages. That's all you really need to know.

MUnited83

For you.
What is making me angry, is that THIS is what MSM is picking up. This fake comment that trump said, because of course he said it, he throws shade at President Obama every chance he gets.

Why aren't we talking about health care and how he is royally screwing over millions of Americans?

Why aren't we talking about the ambush in Niger that trump refuses to speak about? (only to just make up likes about Pres. Obama)

WHY!?!?!?!?!

? All those have been picked up and discussed?

To these people, Democrats and liberals aren't merely members of a different political party. They are the enemy, and by being against them and being for Republlcans, they are voting to protect the country, to better the lives of their children and their children's children, and so on

That's how the right frames news and events and that's how people can say stuff like that to your face so self-righteously. They absolutely believe they are on the right side of history.

It's utterly infuriating and it makes any kind of attempt at discussion impossible.

I'm honestly, no exaggeration convinced the Pee Pee Tape could be released tomorrow, have those involved be child prostitutes, and his current supporters would not care, nor would the GOP do anything about it.

The Republican party has been grooming their base to follow someone like Trump for decades. They've pandered to their racism and helped it grow more and more. They've played to and promoted LGBT bigotry. They indoctrinated them against women in positions of leadership. They've preached Supply Side Jesus and how those with money are special divine citizens who should be worshiped and have been chosen by god himself. They've glorified authoritarianism and the of reckless and pointless use of military violence.

This has been a project they've been building since Nixon adopted the Southern Strategy. Since Reagan announced his "Make America Great Again" presidency on a spot where civil rights activists were murdered to mock them.

And it just so happens the suit was just Donald Trump's size and he just stepped into it.

We're dealing with a cult of personality, not unlike that in North Korea. Except that the Dear Leader they've prophesied has only now just shown up.

It's been a 40 year indoctrination process. It'll take 40 years at least to undo all of that.

This is well said, and I agree with all of it... The last bit really made me sad for my children, and others whom have little ones.

Ouroboros

? All those have been picked up and discussed?

When I left for work, cnn was talking about trumps false claims about Obama. I just started streaming CNN now that I'm at work, and they are still talking about it.

I'm not saying they don't cover the important stuff, but its just a blip on the radar that is all the garbage trump says that is just that, garbage. I guess ratings...blah blah blah.

Sorry, I think I'm just now hitting my limit. I guess lasting 9 months was a good run, ya?

Shadybiz

The main focus of the tax plan is to shift the tax burden even farther away from capital gains and raise them on wages. That's all you really need to know.

This is true. Either way, I'm almost certain that it won't be revenue neutral. The "fiscal hawks" in the GOP suddenly won't give a shit about the deficit.

These people are truly lost.

They would be ok with concentration camps for muslims and mexicans as well.

Thats why I don't get the "well but his base will still support him" posts. Yes of course his base will support him no matter what, they would even support him if he went full Hitler, nothing will sway them.

Dear person whose son just died,

You must be so honored to receive a letter from me.

A simple letter cannot ease the pain of losing a child, but I hope you take solace in knowing that his brave service exceeded all measures of selflessness and devotion to this country.

All the best, I had a lot of fun,
DJT

So I came across this, and it's a damn good read. George W. Bush was a lot of things, but I still maintain he was a pretty caring man;

After he visited with them for a bit, the president turned to the military aide and said, "OK, let's do the presentation." The wounded warrior was being awarded the Purple Heart, given to service members who suffer wounds in combat.

Everyone stood silently while the military aide in a low and steady voice presented the award. At the end of it, the Marine's little boy tugged on the president's jacket and asked, "What's a Purple Heart?"

The president got down on one knee and pulled the little boy closer to him. He said, "It's an award for your dad, because he is very brave and courageous, and because he loves his country so much. And I hope you know how much he loves you and your mom too."

One mom and dad of a dying soldier from the Caribbean were devastated, the mom beside herself with grief. She yelled at the president, wanting to know why it was her child and not his who lay in that hospital bed. Her husband tried to calm her, and I noticed the president wasn't in a hurry to leave — he tried offering comfort but then just stood and took it, like he expected and needed to hear the anguish, to try to soak up some of her suffering if he could.

Later, as we rode back on Marine One to the White House, no one spoke.

But as the helicopter took off, the president looked at me and said, "That mama sure was mad at me." Then he turned to look out the window of the helicopter. "And I don't blame her a bit."

One tear slipped out the side of his eye and down his face. He didn't wipe it away, and we flew back to the White House.

Not piling on here, just a word a caution for everyone:

You can't talk to cultists about leaving the cult. Attempting it at work is an even worse idea.

When I left for work, cnn was talking about trumps false claims about Obama. I just started streaming CNN now that I'm at work, and they are still talking about it.

I'm not saying they don't cover the important stuff, but its just a blip on the radar that is all the garbage trump says that is just that, garbage. I guess ratings...blah blah blah.

Sorry, I think I'm just now hitting my limit. I guess lasting 9 months was a good run, ya?

I had CNN on in the car this morning and they were talking about the tax package. In fact the tax package and the Iran deal has been pretty much dominating the political news cycle on pretty much every news channel I happen across since last week. Today was the first day I've seen deviate from that due to Gold Star snafu.

Ouroboros

I had CNN on in the car this morning and they were talking about the tax package. In fact the tax package and the Iran deal has been pretty much dominating the political news cycle on pretty much every news channel I happen across since last week. Today was the first day I've seen deviate from that due to Gold Star snafu.

I must be tuning in every time they touch on the idiotic stuff.

tbm24

WHY!?!?!?!?!
So, while MSM may not be great, do you actually watch it? Each of those topics have been discussed multiple times, the Niger story from the day it broke. They are talking about it, how they talk about it may not be the most constructive, but say with healthcare, all the points that are negative with the recent trump EOs have been discussed and laid out.

People like that are just fucking pathetic.

The country is headed towards an inevitable split. Can you really share this country with people who joke about hanging gay people?

So I came across this, and it's a damn good read. George W. Bush was a lot of things, but I still maintain he was a pretty caring man;

He was a human being capable of empathy. Pretty low bar but Trump can't even come close to hitting that.

Time for a new job, god damn.

FiggyCal

Banned
I really just can't believe he thought this was true? Like why?

He doesn't think the telephone was a thing during Iraq?

Zolo

I really just can't believe he thought this was true? Like why?

He doesn't think the telephone was a thing during Iraq?

I think it's more of him just having an instinct to make up facts that make him look better or worse and then claim either a lot of people think so or that's what he heard. It's what happens when people aren't held accountable for being called on their bullshit.

finowns

Your co-worker couldn't define 'liberal', or liberalism or ideology, it means something else in his mind- god knows what.

Ernest

Banned
ixY7Gec.png
It would be interesting to see how Trump would handle someone screaming at him like that over the loss of a loved one.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
These people are truly lost.

They would be ok with concentration camps for muslims and mexicans as well.

Thats why I don't get the "well but his base will still support him" posts. Yes of course his base will support him no matter what, they would even support him if he went full Hitler, nothing will sway them.

At this point people need to get it through their heads that Trump's base represents a teachable moment: this is what populations who support dictators look like. This is how it happens; how ordinary people become conditioned to support and even become complicit in atrocities.

The post upthread about 40 years of indoctrination is correct. The problem is that to begin the work of deprograming American society, more people have to realize what has actually happened. There's still too much apathy about "just politics".

Dealing with this problem is going to require everyone else to get off their asses on the sidelines actively oppose the infection of radicalization. Contrary to what some think that is possible; it can happen. Unfortunately, history has also shown it may have to get much worse before the apathetic move.

When people like Trump deflect with "it's just what I heard!" or "it's what I've been told!" they should immediately be pressed on where they heard it or who told them that. Don't just let them get away with that shit.

They have. When not just repeating "some people, various people", Trump's response is to go into a loop, repeating the statement and pretending he didn't hear the reporter right. And he'll keep it up for a solid while, even when it's blatantly obvious people are asking something else. Like the "senator in the hospital" bit, as an example.

Top Bottom