• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump condemns anti-semitism, praises African American museum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

We should also praise Trump for wanting to meet with the CDC. I mean who cares that he didn't know what the CDC was, and then expected a black, female reporter to set up the meeting, presumably because she's black and a woman so she knows all other black people and is great at secretarial jobs.

He probably wants to get rid of the CDC

Slayven

The bar is so fucking low for the so called leader of the free world.

"He said some somewhat coherent things and stayed lucid for 5 minutes. See he isn't so bad"

Meanwhile his legion of doom is back at the white house ruining lives

Toxi

Banned
The bar is so fucking low for the so called leader of the free world.

"He said some somewhat coherent things and stayed lucid for 5 minutes. See he isn't so bad"

Meanwhile his legion of doom is back at the white house ruining lives
At this point the bar has somehow reached "Doesn't fuck you in the ass while you're looking."

DOWN

Banned
Anne Frank center calls bullshit:

https://m.facebook.com/AnneFrankCenterforMutualRespect/posts/10155151871429040
MR. PRESIDENT, YOUR TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE ACKNOWLEGMENT OF #Antisemitism TODAY IS NOT ENOUGH.
Statement of Steven Goldstein, Executive Director of the Anne Frank Center for Mutual Respect, on President Trump's acknowledgment of Antisemitism today:
“The President’s sudden acknowledgement is a Band-Aid on the cancer of Antisemitism that has infected his own Administration. His statement today is a pathetic asterisk of condescension after weeks in which he and his staff have committed grotesque acts and omissions reflecting Antisemitism, yet day after day have refused to apologize and correct the record. Make no mistake: The Antisemitism coming out of this Administration is the worst we have ever seen from any Administration. The White House repeatedly refused to mention Jews in its Holocaust remembrance, and had the audacity to take offense when the world pointed out the ramifications of Holocaust denial. And it was only yesterday, President’s Day, that Jewish Community Centers across the nation received bomb threats, and the President said absolutely nothing. When President Trump responds to Antisemitism proactively and in real time, and without pleas and pressure, that’s when we’ll be able to say this President has turned a corner. This is not that moment.”

He said nothing, he's attacked, he said something, it's "empty words"

I hate Trump as much as the next guy, but...

Bad shit happens: "Trump says nothing! Why won't he address this issue? Silence is deafening!"

Trump says something about it: "Talk is cheap. He's just telling us what we want to hear. He's lying of course! Of COURSE he would say that-- he HAS to!" etc...

Just sayin'...

These posts are fucking incredible. Trump doesn't even need his diehard supporters batting for him when he's got plenty of people like you.

rothgar

Sean Spicer: 'I wish the Anne Frank Center had praised Donald Trump for fighting anti-Semitism'

"We will be setting up a meeting with Frederick Douglas and Anne Frank to fight racism and anti-semitism. We hear they are terrific people."

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I can't remember a single incidence of Donald Trump supporting or doing anything to support or help a single person - ever - except himself. No idea why that would change now given his spiteful ptrack record and his administration. More charm offensive lies as damage control or reaction to a story he read about himself. Don't fall for it.

CD'S BAR

These posts are fucking incredible. Trump doesn't even need his diehard supporters batting for him when he's got plenty of people like you.
Those posts you quoted are perfectly reasonable. What would you have him do or say in this case that would be more convincing to you.

Those posts you quoted are perfectly reasonable. What would you have him do or say in this case that would be more convincing to you.
Fire Bannon? Fire Sebastian Gorka? Not pick Jeff Sessions?

Are folks in this thread being intentionally obtuse or what.

Removing Steve Bannon from the White House would be a good start that would make me think he was actually serious about anti-semitism. Condemning his white nationalist base would also be good.

Kind of hard to take any praise of the minority community serious when Jeff Sessions is his AG too.

Does it only take a few words (words clearly not his own) to convince you?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The problem is people don't believe what he says. He'll say anything depending on who he's with at the time. Talk is cheap.

Mizerman

Getting rid of Jeff Sessions, Bannon and others who don't care for the welfare of minorities would be a start.

Or would you rather continue the saga of Lowered Expectations?

Shoeless

I'm pretty sure when Trump says the anti-Semitic acts are terrible and have to stop, he means as the unofficial actions of private citizens.

Sanctioned, national policy picking on the Jewish community will, however, be just fine. As long as the jackboots are being paid by the government then it's MAGA time.

By the way, people who dont know who Sebastian Gorka is, here he is wearing the Order of Vitéz medal

h1wkbbjdfhk6dhnrvls5.jpg

For those who dont know about Order of Vitéz,

The contemporary right-wing sees Horthy as a patriotic strongman who helped rebuild Hungary after the devastation of World War I, while the left views him as a shameful symbol of the country's collaboration with the Nazis, as Reuters has detailed. Horthy’s Order of Vitéz has a similarly complex legacy, as the U.S. State Department considered it an organization under Nazi control during World War II.

George Deák, an independent historian and an associate at Harvard University’s Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies, described the Order of Vitéz as a "tainted" but ambiguous symbol and cautioned to TPM that he could not say definitively that Gorka was wearing the order's medal in the photos from the Liberty Ball, one of several inaugural balls.

Deák noted that the chief architects of the 1944 mass deportation of Hungarian Jews, Secretary of State László Endre and Lt. Colonel László Ferenczy, were “proud members of the order.” He pointed out a small number of wealthy Jews allied themselves with the order as well.

“Anti-Semitism was probably something shared among most of the members of that group, but it wasn’t explicitly anti-Semitic,” he said.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/sebastian-gorka-inauguration-medal-order-vitez-horthy
Edit: Gorka responded in Breitbart by saying he was wearing the medal in remembrance of his dad. Not linking to Breitbart piece.

Editor’s Update: Gorka evidently felt compelled today to respond (via Breitbart) indirectly to our post here about his public display of a Vitezi Rend medal at an inaugural ball and on other occasions. We want to make clear that we respect his devotion to his parents and the commemoration of their experience and suffering. But we in turn are compelled to ask why his father joined a group with a known history of anti-Semitism and collaboration with the Nazis. And why does Gorka himself choose to honor his parents’ memory with a medal issued by Vitezi Rend, which apparently still propagates anti-Semitism and a degree of Holocaust denial, as described in this article published in December 2014 in the Budapest Beacon? It is in this context that Gorka’s defense of the White House’s Holocaust Remembrance Day statement – and its omission of any explicit reference to the fate of European Jews or anti-Semitism – is particularly noteworthy, not to say disturbing.

Just as we asked Gorka to comment on why he wore the Vitezi Rend medal before we published the original post, we would ask him now to explain why his father chose to accept membership in such a group and why, given its distressing historical and contemporary associations, he chooses to honor his parents’ memory in this particular and peculiar way. Eli’s original post commences below.

https://lobelog.com/why-is-trump-adviser-wearing-medal-of-nazi-collaborators/

CD'S BAR

Removing Steve Bannon from the White House would be a good start that would make me think he was actually serious about anti-semitism. Condemning his white nationalist base would also be good.

Kind of hard to take any praise of the minority community serious when Jeff Sessions is his AG too.

Does it only take a few words (words clearly not his own) to convince you?

I'm cautiously optimistic. He could have said nothing. And given his track record I think most would have expected him to say nothing. Be realistic. He's a month into his term. He is not going to fire his head advisor and attorney general over what are perverse but empty threats not directly related to either Bannon or Sessions.

Quixzlizx

I'm cautiously optimistic. He could have said nothing. And given his track record I think most would have expected him to say nothing. Be realistic. He's a month into his term. He is not going to fire his head advisor and attorney general over what are perverse but empty threats not directly related to either Bannon or Sessions.

If he were a decent person, he wouldn't have hired Bannon in the first place to run his campaign.

Nobody's buying what you're selling.

CD'S BAR

If he were a decent person, he wouldn't have hired Bannon in the first place to run his campaign.

Nobody's buying what you're selling.

I never said anything about his decency. I'm talking about a practical show of solidarity, at least ostensibly, in response to this issue (knowing what we know about Trump). People are acting like anything less than an outright 180 on every position is not progress of a kind. If you think that way you will be disappointed repeatedly.

And I'm not trying to sell you anything. Don't be so defensive.

Balphon

The President repeating a memorized sentence to in the middle of his normal vacuous bloviating isn't going to paper over everything he's done to empower and embolden racists and anti-semites.

This is the same guy who as of a few week ago thought Frederick Douglass was still alive and who answered a question regarding the growth of anti-semitic rhetoric by talking up his electoral victory.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
I think trumps comments are a step in the right direction. Defiantly a good thing he said. Let's see if his policies reflect that now. I didn't vote for trump myself and frankly don't really like him. But even I give him credit on these statements. Giving credit were credit is due. I'm not like allot of these other sags who just hate trump at every move and don't recognize him for doing something I perceived to be in the right direction.

Mr. X

The administration that laser targeted Muslims coming into the US day 2 or 3.

The one that didn't mention Jews on Holocaust Remembrance day.

The one that asked a random black reporter to schedule a meeting with CBC at a press conference.

The one unapologetically saying illegal immigrants are dangerous while only targeting Latinos.

Lmao

Mizerman

I never said anything about his decency. I'm talking about a practical show of solidarity, at least ostensibly, in response to this issue (knowing what we know about Trump). People are acting like anything less than an outright 180 on every position is not progress of a kind. If you think that way you will be disappointed repeatedly.

I'm not disappointed in something or someone that I had no expectations for in the first place.

I have no need of low standards or expectations. Or empty words. I don't settle for the bare minimum just to make myself feel better.

Jea Song

Did the right thing

I feel you are trying to sell me a switch. Trump is basically the switch of consoles. An experiment. Made mistakes in the past but looking to redeem with something new and radical it just might work. So I won't cancel my switch preorder and will give it a try. It just might be crazy enough to work.

I_D

Man, the situation is so bad I read it as "condones" the first time.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, though. Don't trust his lies.

Toxi

Banned
Why do you assume they're empty?

Toxi

Banned
I feel you are trying to sell me a switch. Trump is basically the switch of consoles. An experiment. Made mistakes in the past but looking to redeem with something new and radical it just might work. So I won't cancel my switch preorder and will give it a try. It just might be crazy enough to work.
It's a fucking month into his Presidency. Quit with this nonsense.

Balphon

Let's just all appreciate that we live in a world where the President saying "Anti-semitism is bad" is unusual enough to warrant a headline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom