• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump energizes the anti-vaccine movement in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Trump energizes the anti-vaccine movement in Texas

AUSTIN — The group of 40 people gathered at a popular burger and fish taco restaurant in San Antonio listened eagerly to the latest news about the anti-vaccine fight taking place in the Texas legislature.

Some mothers in the group had stopped immunizing their young children because of doubts about vaccine safety. Heads nodded as the woman giving the statehouse update warned that vaccine advocates wanted to ”chip away" at parents' right to choose. But she also had encouraging news.

”We have 30 champions in that statehouse," boasted Jackie Schlegel, executive director of Texans for Vaccine Choice. ”Last session, we had two."

Now they also have one in the White House.

President Trump's embrace of discredited theories linking vaccines to autism has energized the anti-vaccine movement. Once fringe, the movement is becoming more popular, raising doubts about basic childhood health care among politically and geographically diverse groups.

Public health experts warn that this growing movement is threatening one of the most successful medical innovations of modern times. Globally, vaccines prevent the deaths of about 2.5 million children every year, but deadly diseases such as measles and whooping cough still circulate in populations where enough people are unvaccinated.

In San Antonio, 80 miles southwest of the state capital, Texans for Vaccine Choice convened a happy hour to encourage attendees to get more involved politically. The event was among dozens of outreach events the group has hosted across the state. The relatively new group has boosted its profile, aided by a savvy social-media strategy, and now leads a contentious fight over vaccines that is gearing up in the current legislative session.

The battle comes at a time when increasing numbers of Texas parents are choosing not to immunize their children because of ”personal beliefs." Measles was eliminated in the United States more than 15 years ago, but the highly contagious disease has made a return in recent years, including in Texas, in part because of parents refusing to vaccinate their children. A 2013 outbreak in Texas infected 21 people, many of them unvaccinated children.

The modern anti-vaccine movement is based on a fraud. A study published almost 20 years ago purported to show a link between childhood vaccines and autism. The data was later found to be falsified, and the study was retracted.

Scores of large-scale, long-term studies from around the world since then have proved that there is no connection between vaccines and autism. But the suspicion lingers. Its strongest form is a stubborn conspiracy theory that doctors, scientists, federal health agencies, vaccine-makers and the worldwide public health community are hiding the truth and are knowingly harming children.

A leading conspiracy theorist is Andrew Wakefield, author of the 1998 study that needlessly triggered the first fears. (The medical journal BMJ, in a 2011 review of the debacle, described the paper as ”fatally flawed both scientifically and ethically.") Wakefield's Twitter handle identifies him as a doctor, but his medical license has been revoked. The British native now lives in Austin, where he is active in the state and national anti-vaccine movement.

Trump has met with Wakefield, who attended an inaugural ball and told supporters afterward that he had received ”tremendous support" for his efforts and hoped to have more meetings with the president.

Peter Hotez, director of the Texas Children's Hospital Center for Vaccine Development, predicts that 2017 could be the year the anti-vaccination movement gains ascendancy in the United States. Texas could lead the way, he said, because some public schools are dangerously close to the threshold at which measles outbreaks can be expected. A third of students at some private schools are unvaccinated.

”We're losing the battle," Hotez said.

Although the anti-vaccine movement has been strong in other states, including California, Oregon, Washington and Colorado, experts say the effort in Texas is among the most organized and politically active.

”It's a great example of an issue that has a targeted, small minority but an intense minority who are willing to mobilize and engage in direct action," said Mark Jones, a political science professor at Rice University in Houston.

The vast majority of parents in Texas and across the country vaccinate their children. Most people have never had to think much about this basic preventive-medicine practice.

But now immunization advocates are realizing that they can't let vaccine critics go unchallenged, saying they need voices other than scientists and experts to make the case. They are recruiting teachers and grass-roots groups to explain how immunization protects families and communities.

Jinny Suh, 39, runs one such group, Immunize Texas , from her Austin home, where she lives with her husband and two young sons. Their house is about three miles from the Austin Waldorf School, a private school where 158 students — more than 40 percent of the school population — are unvaccinated, and tuition costs more than $14,000 a year.

Suh worries about the risk that the school's unvaccinated children pose to her 4-month-old, who is too young to be immunized. ”I'm sure there are people I go to the grocery store with and go to the park with" who have unimmunized children, she said. ”This is a public hazard. You can't see germs."

Those who oppose vaccination are driven by fear, even though it is misguided, and that fear drives passion, she said. But parents who support vaccination ”need to step up our passion and speak up for science — and for children," she said.

Fucking frustrating article to read...

There's going to be a whole lot of really stupid parents looking around in horror as their children die of completely preventable diseases.

IronRaven

Whenever I hear that a parent is an anti-vaccine supporter, all I hear is "I want my child to potentially die in a slow and painful way knowing I could've done something to prevent it". Anti-vaxxers make my blood boil.

Bunch of sick fucks. I'm glad my son is past the age where he'd get fucked by some anti-vaxxers kid. When they all die out he'll be able to rule as a king over whats left of humanity.

clav

This is what happens when people equate feelings to thinking. Feelings cannot be wrong, and people contest facts.

When you correct them, they get angry and say, "Why can't I have feelings? You are ridiculous."

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
My only question is, did Baron Trump get vaccine shots or not. Trump is either a hypocrite or stupid. You decide.

Snagret

Anti-vaxxers literally advocating for the deaths of their own children.
Not just theirs, but children in their communities too. Vaccines should be mandatory, people obviously can't be trusted to make educated decisions about this stuff, it's a serious public health hazard.

Carcetti

Natural selection via political views... except these fuckers won't kill themselves. They'll only be the perpetrators.

The people who'll suffer most, of course, are going to be children, babies, the elderly, and those with weak immune systems.

My only question is, did Baron Trump get vaccine shots or not. Trump is either a hypocrite or stupid. You decide.

Well if the rumors are true that he's autistic Trump may be blaming vaccines. I can't imagine why he'd have a stake in the anti-Vaxxer debates.

muu

Literally helps no one. I've seen people criticizing vaccines because those Disney outbreaks had kids that were immunized getting sick. Well guess what, a small percentage doesn't develop enough resistance through the vaccines and they're covered thru herd immunity as well.

Hazmat

This will change once children and babies start to die of preventable illness. These parents haven't lived in a time when simple preventable diseases routinely killed children, and they're too stupid to be able to imagine what it's like.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What would it take for these crazies to change their tune? If they are anything like those 2nd Amendment loons, even some local kids dying of measles wouldn't be enough for them to see sense.

Vengal

Anti-vaxxers literally advocating for the deaths of their own children.

They're not though, most the people that are part of these groups have kids past the age of danger or are well off enough to more or less hide their kids in private schools or home schooling. They give Zero fucks if their kids who won't die of mesels kills anyone elses kid or if their flu kills the elderly.

I am also glad my kid has been given most her shots at this point but who knows what kind of dangers she will run into in 20+ years if she has kids of her own.

Supporting anti-vaccine is literally supporting the death of kids.

They'll have to learn the hard way - like a climate denier, their brains have hit that point where they cannot be reasoned. They'll just keep peddling the same nonsense counterpoints until someone close to them is impacted or they discover they are wrong for themselves one miracle day.

Even scarier is that this is essentially the start of a movement towards ignorance and acceptance that science can be wrong if enough people are loud enough, despite actual facts to the contrary.

effzee

I have family in Houston. Their relatives through marriage are so into conspiracy theories that they believe in the Illuminati, think Beyonce is a devil worshipper, homeschool their kids, built a bunker from the soon to come government flood of Texas, and of course are extremely anti-vaccines.

The mom of the group posts articles all the time on fb regarding it and I have tried to refute it but it's like talking to a brick wall. She will believe anything if it is presented in a conspiracy theory format and dismiss anything presented through "mainstream media".

It's maddening. Her kids are now in college and getting exposed to the real world and thankfully they are questioning all she taught them but it's insane.

Euron

They're equating their idiocy with the "Right to Choose" mantra that has defined the Abortion Debate, except it's fundamentally different in this case as the consequences involve the full scale spreading of diseases once thought to be eradicated. So no, there is no choice involved. I think Americans would prefer to not be wiped out by a plague.

Maligna

Banned
Why do I even bother caring about the world anymore... about truth, about Justice and equality. It's obvious we can't stop human society from destroying itself. It wants to.

I am pretty close to saying I'm done caring and just retreating into my own little fantasy where everything is fine and my whole world only consists of my house and my workplace.

urge26

jmm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom