• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump handed Merkel 300bn bill for what germany "owed" Nato

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's definitely true of non-NATO countries the US has bases in, but I don't know if that's the case with most of these NATO allies.

Trump is an ass for handing her a bill, but this is a problem that I'm glad is being addressed. The US pays more than its fair share and its citizens suffer through awful private health insurance and all these UHC nations used to put up the required 2% right after they signed it and then slowly started giving less and less.
Germany and France raised the budget overall after the financial crisis in 2007-2009. The same goes for eastern europe. The nations were and still are more thoughtful to gift the points of their GDP for things like education, infrastructure and social benefits.

deadlast

A integrated EU force would actually be cheaper than everyone having its own military.

EU armies are mostly for defence against Russia and peacekeeping.

I like this. I would also like to see them combined all of their cyber defense together as well. If there was one EU military, I think it would be better for Europe as a whole.

I'd like to imagine he did it like a waiter. Put it in a little fake leather case propped up on the table in front of her.

"I'll just leave this here, whenever you're ready."
I wonder if he tried to tie some of these into settlement bills on checkout of his "winter White House"

"That's $20,000 for the room and 3.2bn for incidentals."

Costa Kid

Trump: Pay money or your fired. This is MY show.

Merkel: No. Are you an idiot? This is politics, not a television show. I am not one of the yes men youve had kissing your ass since you were born.

Trump: *Can no longer look Merkel in the face for the duration of her visit*
He literally has the mentality of a ten year old who doesn't get their favourite candy.

Let's let Russia take over Europe.

Then, I want to see the look on Donald's face when the US is begging Canada and Mexico to join a last-ditch effort to form an alliance to stop Russia from entering North America, after they take back Alaska.

e_i

IF Germany pays this, I'm sure the money will conveniently disappear and some people's bank accounts will get much bigger.

jelly

You know if there was a Euro army, the US would hate that, not buying their stuff as well as not being the main force.

I'd like to imagine he did it like a waiter. Put it in a little fake leather case propped up on the table in front of her.

"I'll just leave this here, whenever you're ready."

Code:
Tip Not Included
----------------------------------------------------------
Suggested tip amounts              15%=45bn 
are provided for your              18%=54bn
convenience                        20%=60bn
----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for visiting Trump President!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It sounds like the kind of idea that sounds good to Rush Limbaugh while he's blowharding on seven oxys.

Ploid 3.0

I'm sure that guy that charged Trump's stage was a time traveler now. There was nothing we could have done to prevent Trump. We did our best, even had motivation to elect the first woman president, and the other option was this bozo. What the heck could we have done?

Going through stages of some realization. Current stage is embarrassment.

RenditMan

Banned
So, is it safe to assume that all the goodwill and respect that Obama has built up for America has already been wiped away by Trump?

In fairness all nato countries agreed and signed up to this. No matter who's delivered the message it needed saying.

Don't agree and sign up for shit if you are going to be offended when people call you out for not doing what you agreed.

Natos a complete piss take on the American people, and I'm not American.

Acorn

In fairness all nato countries agreed and signed up to this. No matter who's delivered the message it needed saying.

Don't agree and sign up for shit if you are going to be offended when people call you out for not doing what you agreed.

"...by 2024". I know time moves fast but that's incredible.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

No one has broken the Nato treaty in any way. So no, stuff that is factually untrue does not 'need saying' by anyone

Was this before or after the handshake situation?

BewitchedRashHochstettersfrog.gif

His family is from Germany too, ffs

Surfinn

Nah, but woefully uninformed. So you're kinda american.
Can we stop with this useless "Americans are uninformed idiots" narrative? The majority of people eligible to vote didn't even vote for Trump. They don't speak for or represent all Americans, thanks. Some of us are fighting everyday against this administration.

Can we stop with this useless "Americans are uninformed idiots" narrative? The majority of people eligible to vote didn't even vote for Trump. They don't speak for or represent all Americans, thanks. Some of us are fighting everyday against this administration.

Where were these people BEFORE the election? No, the Americans made their bed and now have to lay in it. Unfortunately, the smell of shit and piss from said sheets is making everyone else gag.

While I don't necessarily agree with dropping a 300bn bill on Germany's lap, the United States pays for far more than its share in terms of defense spending. I am tired of being the world police.

It spends so much because it starts so much shit. How often has NATO and Australia sent troops to AMERICAN military actions because of our alliance.

Or better yet, when was the last time Germany started a military action that required US involvement?

We use Germany as a jumping off point to the Middle East. In return it helps stabilize Europe economically. That's good enough really.

American fragility...

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
It spends so much because it starts so much shit. How often has NATO and Australia sent troops to AMERICAN military actions because of our alliance.

Or better yet, when was the last time Germany started a military action that required US involvement?

We use Germany as a jumping off point to the Middle East. In return it helps stabilize Europe economically. That's good enough really.

The US is welcome to lower it's military spending dramatically at any time. It's insulting to America's allies to imply it has anything to do with NATO or other allies at all

hobozero

US has missed all its emissions targets under the Paris climate deal. Does that mean the rest of the world gets to send them a bill for fucking the planet?

The majority of people eligible to vote didn't vote for the only candidate that could stop him. The majority of people eligible to vote either let Trump happen, or directly voted for him.

Yes, Hill won the popular vote -- but that's with a low voter turnout and the results weren't good enough to win for the country. That means with Trump as president, you guys own him. He very much does represent your country to the rest of the world.

While I don't necessarily agree with dropping a 300bn bill on Germany's lap, the United States pays for far more than its share in terms of defense spending. I am tired of being the world police.

The US views NATO as a tool to get support for its military operations. Thats not the purpose of NATO. NATO is not a military arm-extension for US interests/ideas.
If the US is tired of being the world police - stop being the world police. Nobody asked you to be the world police and arguably the involvements haven't been successful in a very long time. To a point, where you could argue that things would be better if the US had just done nothing.

NATOs purpose is peacekeeping and defending western values against communism and other undemocratic threats.
This is achieved in many ways and not all of them are sheer military force.
At the moment the US has to be careful not to become an undemocratic threat itself.

Ryuuroden

Putin is laughing right now.
"America made this treaty to stop communism, but now that I'm working with the Russians, you should pay for protection"

That good will died when Trump put in the Muslim ban.

It just means that if we ever get a good president again, he will get super good will as the world will try to show what being a decent president can do for you while demonstrating now what an asshole president will do for you at the current time. Its the way its got to go. I don't think America will lose the goodwill permanently unless this becomes a multi president thing. I mean America is sure to lose middle eastern goodwill most likely permanently but I think most of the West will take a long term look at it. Its not like we have treated the middle east any better during multiple past presidencies although compared to how Trump treats it the way we treated them in the past seems nice.

EDIT: The West overall, not just the USA has taken the wrong approach with both Africa and the Middle east the entire 20th century with how it was divided and even further back with colonialism so America doesn't really stand alone there. Outside slavery, America did not really play the biggest part in devastating Africa in the first place, that was all Europe. America didn't start involving itself with Africa after post American Civil War until after post WWII

America's biggest screwups in the 19th century were really in our Southern Hemisphere and that stretched late into the 20th century. And we were not so much imperial there like Europe was in Africa. We just propped up a lot of bad governments and did some regime change but did not colonize them. And saying just doesn't mean I am downplaying it, we were responsible for some bad things happening all over South America which caused a LOT of suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom