• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump on track to win re-election. (WaPo Opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
His followers will not turn on him. Surely everyone gets that at this point? Dems need to get the fuck out and vote, and they need a candidate that undecideds don't hate. That, or of course Trump has this on lock.

entremet

Don't know why this is needed. Focus on the fucking midterms first then worry about 2020.
You can’t do both? I mean you have to. Exploratory Committees don’t form overnight, neither is fundraising done in mad dash. Same with strategy.

sjboi

I mean, I was SO sure that Trump would lose last year that I was literally gloating about it. Needless to say, crow was served.

That's assuming Trump will even be in office three years from now.

Given his declining health, the stress of the job which is clearly taking its toll, the Russian investigation which might very well obliterate his administration when completed, and his own ineptitude, I could envision any number of scenarios where Trump ends up leaving office either of his own volition or because he's tossed out on his fat ass.

I could also imagine Trump opting not to run for re-election because by all accounts, he hates the job.

That said, I never thought this piece of shit could get elected the first time so I won't foolishly assume it couldn't happen again.

Anecdotally, my family members who voted for Trump have all said they think he's doing a great job and are happy they voted for him. Who knows if that will change in the next three years, but that's where we are almost one year later. Be careful of the liberal bubble.

Of course people should act with the assumption Trump is gonna win the reelection in 2020 it's just common sense. Stay motivated, stay active, continue to try and educate the undecided around you the importance of voting especially if you live in a swing state. The ripples you make today can be a tidal wave in 3 years time.

Mahonay

Banned
Thankfully you can't with 35% - 38% of the vote. That is basically what he has right now.
You say that now, but remember all of the Republicans that said they would not vote for Trump before the election because he was a despicable human being? All fell in line and voted (R) anyway. Party before country.

entremet

That's assuming Trump will even be in office three years from now.

Given his declining health, the stress of the job which is clearly taking its toll, the Russian investigation which might very well obliterate his administration when completed, and his own ineptitude, I could envision any number of scenarios where Trump ends up leaving office either of his own volition or because he's tossed out on his fat ass.

I could also imagine Trump opting not to run for re-election because by all accounts, he hates the job.

That said, I never thought this piece of shit could get elected the first time so I won't foolishly assume it couldn't happen again.
He clearly loves campaigning though! I predict another college try if he’s not found of criminal mischief.

JordanN

Banned
Is it strange if I've gotten use to Trump? It's been said before, if Trump was removed we would have to deal with a President Pence or Ryan and both are more competent and thus can do more evil Republican stuff.

If democrats can just continue to obstruct Trump at every turn, then Trump just becomes a president who is full of hot air. Even if he wins re-election, him being an incompetent president who can't get anything done might be something we have to deal with until America finally gets a wake up call like they did after 8 years of Bush finally made Americans realize "it's time for something far better".

RPGCrazied

You say that now, but remember all of the Republicans that said they would not vote for Trump before the election because he was a despicable human being? All fell in line and voted (R) anyway. Party before country.

Yeah, but I'm not going to be doom and gloom over this guy. I think he will not be reelected. He got lucky with all the fake news propaganda the Russian's created for him. Next election surely we(I won't be) be that stupid to fall for that again.

Thankfully you can't with 35% - 38% of the vote. That is basically what he has right now.

Doubt it. Nothing has changed over the last however many months. If the last election were to take place today, the outcome would be exactly the same, including the fact that we would all be sitting here dumbfounded at the results.

Beartruck

Assuming that the left and not the right will fracture and have a 3rd party candidate is one hell of an assumption.

ISOM

You can’t do both? I mean you have to. Exploratory Committees don’t form overnight, neither is fundraising done in mad dash. Same with strategy.

You can but I still think it's way premature. And btw, I think it should be far easier for Democrats this time around to win 2020. Trump won't be this new candidate on the national stage, he will have a lot of baggage from election promises he has kept and not kept. Lots of minorities won't fall for his BS the second time around etc. On the other side, Hillary won't be up for election so all that baggage from the smear campaign the GOP did from the last 2 decades won't be there. It should be MUCH easier to win. I'm not saying for complacency but John Doe Democrat should be able to get the job done.

PJV3

I would be a little bit surprised if the republicans are still motivated to vote at this rate.

Blader

A sitting president less than a year into his first term is on track to win re-election? No fucking shit. If this is the caliber of insight being offered up by Democratic strategists (one of whose main supporting points is "there will be a major third-party candidate on the ballot" ffs) then *that* has me more worried than Trump himself.

hopefully our next candidate won't have their campaign dominated by speculation that they are about to be arrested and/or die

if trump wins again in a repeat of 2016 - where he pulls through by winning very small margins in a handful of states while losing the popular vote by millions - are we (at least, people who aren't trumpkins) gonna finally come to a consensus that the electoral college is bogus? 3/4 of the past republican victories...

SilentRob

Anything short of changing the bipartisan political system of the US is not enough. America's democracy is fundamentally broken and as long as it stays that way, the next Trump waits just around the corner.

RPGCrazied

Joe will be 76.

Can you imagine Bernie running again? He would be close to 80. I don't have a problem with Biden.

I just hope with Trump winning last time it won't open the flood gates for more celebrities to run. But of course that is exactly is going to happen.

He won by a margin of like 80,000 votes and his republican approval has fallen precipitously.

Not saying democrats should rest on their laurels, but he’s not some unstoppable force destined for a second term.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
He'll win Florida again, I'll say that much.
That'll probably depend on how many displaced Puerto Ricans will remain in Florida as a result of Maria (because the US sure as hell isn't helping in that situation), and subsequently choose to register their vote in that state.

That'll probably depend on how many displaced Puerto Ricans will remain in Florida as a result of Maria (because the US sure as hell isn't helping in that situation), and subsequently choose to register their vote in that state.

It would need to be a substantial number.

Maledict

Dems still haven't decided on a single voice to represent them... ughhhhh

And they won't - until the primaries. This is how American politics works for the opposition.

Who was the single voice against Obama in 2009? Against Clinton in 1993?

The party not in the white House doesn't have the luxury of a single voice, and can't have due to the basic fundamentals of how the american governance systems work. That's why you have such long, drawn out primaries compared to other countries.

Knoxcore

Another poster and I have been saying this shit and people respond with “joke isn’t funny, stop”

Wonder what they’ll say now 🙄
I actually agree. I think he can win re-election. Dems are doing exactly what they did in 2016– saying Trump can’t possibly win. Even with 38% approval rating, I assure, he can win a second term. His base is intact. The GOO is outraising Dems. Dems, by and large, are running against Trump not for an issue. Plus, no Dem candidate has demonstrated they can counter Trump’s branding and marketing skills.

Depends on if he gets the 500k Confederates in the Panhandle to turn out again.

I'm just gonna assume they're all part of his hardcore base and will absolutely show up again. Puerto Rico could swing it back but i'm not holding my breath here.

Florida just ain't right.

rjinaz

It would be as big a mistake to assume that Trump cannot win reelection in 2020 as it was for those of us who never thought that he could become president in the first place.

I'll agree with this. Trump could be president again, this is a battle that needs to be fought.

But, three more years of Trump is going to be too much for the American public alone. Every damn week he starts some controversy. Three more years of that, 160 more controversies. The people that stayed out of the last election because "blah blah it's all the same my vote doesn't matter" now know that that's simply not true because if you don't do your part you get a mad man as president.

If the Democrats can put out a good candidate that does not have the unfavorable numbers that Clinton had, then Trump should lose. He's going out of his way to basically piss of anybody that isn't wealthy.

But yes of course taking anything for granted is foolish as Trump proved last election. I'll be voting midterms and for president and I'll encourage others to as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom