• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump on track to win re-election. (WaPo Opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
the dems will make the same mistakes they did last time and lose again, because they will take voters for granted again and say "look at how bad trump is, vote for me" instead of building up their own platforms, putting some establishment hack into the race who's taken all the donor money they can get in preparation and fully pandered to the special interests.

The fact that the neoliberal dem establishment and their mouth pieces are fighting so hard against progressives as of now makes me feel like this is not an unreasonable viewpoint to have.

A significant portion of the dems may have adopted a(single) major progressive initiative in medicare for all single payer through conyers bill in the house and 100+ co sponsors, and 15+ senators in the senate with Sanders bill, but the dem establishment is still as stubborn as they were and that's the big failing. There have been tons of attempted and successful hatchet jobs from the inside on a consistent message and actual platform to pursue. And the money controlling those actions is nothing good.

Knowing the past form of Comrade Trump he'll sign an executive order that makes it possible for him to run for president from jail.
He already can! and there's precedent!

in 2012, some random (white) inmate ran against Obama in the West Virginia primary and got 40% of the vote (West Virginia might be slightly racist).

lenovox1

Anecdotally, my family members who voted for Trump have all said they think he's doing a great job and are happy they voted for him. Who knows if that will change in the next three years, but that's where we are almost one year later. Be careful of the liberal bubble.

We know the majority of Republicans and nearly all Trump voters approve of the job that he's doing.

Tregard

Soothsayer
He already can! and there's precedent!

in 2012, some random (white) inmate ran against Obama in the West Virginia primary and got 40% of the vote (West Virginia might be slightly racist).

Would a prisoner who became President be immediately absolved of any criminal charges, then?

gogosox82

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...bdd1236be5d_story.html?utm_term=.f5df82e67478

This is written by a Democratic political strategist, not some GOP homer. Good analysis and Dems should not take Trump for granted again.

This wasn't useful in the slightest. There's no analysis in this. Just an opinion saying it could happen. Yes it could happen but that's not helpful at all because a lot of things could happen. Anyone could make the analysis that was in that article. I was expecting data, not stuff that I could've argued for.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Left needs to make itself likeable again. Which is a hard task when its entirely busy with consuming/dragging itself every day in the most shrill, irritating, humourless ways shedding allies by the stadium full like its forgotten politics is a numbers game.

The US currently seems like an openly racist country, so yeah, his chances are quite high. Unless the Dems can get over their idiotic purity tests and infighting I feel like there's not much they can do

Also pictured is Trump's collection of chickens he's sure to have.

7713921_f520.jpg

I'm not sure how anyone would express certainty on the outcome of the next election, given the last election.

Yea it’s too soon for this shit. I have my doubts he will finish his 4 years with Mueller breathing down his neck. At least I’m hopeful of that.

I know a lot can happen in 3 years and this country has proved they don't give a fuck about minorities if they think they can get rid of the usual political "elite" in this country. That said there's no fucking way he's gonna get reelected. In only half a year he's had more bad news then any pres ever and it's only going to get worse. Yeah his idiot base still thinks he's god but even that is slipping compared to previous R presidents and the thing that got him into office was Dem turn out and indie voters. Those voters aren't nearly enamored with him any more and if you don't think the Dems are gonna turn out huge in 2020 you're sadly mistaken

Edit: I know I know I'm calling it way too early just like the guy in the article but fuck it. I'm sure

gcubed

the dems will make the same mistakes they did last time and lose again, because they will take voters for granted again and say "look at how bad trump is, vote for me" instead of building up their own platforms, putting some establishment hack into the race who's taken all the donor money they can get in preparation and fully pandered to the special interests.

The fact that the neoliberal dem establishment and their mouth pieces are fighting so hard against progressives as of now makes me feel like this is not an unreasonable viewpoint to have.

A significant portion of the dems may have adopted a(single) major progressive initiative in medicare for all single payer through conyers bill in the house and 100+ co sponsors, and 15+ senators in the senate with Sanders bill, but the dem establishment is still as stubborn as they were and that's the big failing. There have been tons of attempted and successful hatchet jobs from the inside on a consistent message and actual platform to pursue. And the money controlling those actions is nothing good.

Surely someone won progressive persecution bingo with this post.

Elandyll

Banned
Impossible to say until there are actual candidates running against him, so it's more a scare tactics aiming at keeping people fired up against Trumpaloomoa.

If he does ends up reelected, I will officially lose all hope for this country, being led by 30% of racists/ misogynists and around 15%+ of racist- comfortables.

Bernie really didn't split the party though. More Bernie supporters, like myself, voted for Clinton than Clinton supporters voted for Obama. They'll vote for the remaining candidate when it comes down to it. And even if they are less than thrilled, Trump wears is ugliness on his sleeve and at that point, for 4 years. They'll know what the alternative is, there will be no guessing at that point.

This is repeated A LOT, but I've never seen it substantiated.

The closest I've seen are polls during the primaries on how likely someone is to vote for the nominated Democrat. Somewhere I can find some details on what's become an axiom?

An off based opinion piece that's bullshit. It's 2017. All we know is that Trump's support is eroding where it matters the most (midwest). Given that it's literally impossible for democrats to find a candidate in 2020 as reviled as Hillary Clinton, I'd say they have a good shot.

Flux

Democrats don't use Hilary or Chelsea Clinton. Their name or brand is pretty much synonymous with failure.

This is repeated A LOT, but I've never seen it substantiated.

The closest I've seen are polls during the primaries on how likely someone is to vote for the nominated Democrat. Somewhere I can find some details on what's become an axiom?

A fraction of 1% was enough to swing the election.

There were enough Bernie or Bust cunts to do it.

Whether we want to believe it or not, the possibility of a second Trump term has been there since day one of his presidency. Every last person here could vote against him. Rally against him. Even encourage a friend apiece not to vote for the guy.

Fight it as we might, the guy has a solid base of people who would vote for him no matter what. Unbelievably, this guy won despite numerous allegations of sexual assault and admitting on tape to “grabbing pussy.” Candidates before Trump would’ve been dead in the water following half the scandals he was tied to, but he survived.

Knowing this, we have to face the possibility that he’s getting a full eight years, despite poll numbers and all that jazz. Either accept that possibility or be monumentally depressed when the 2020 election takes place and he’s re-elected.

Don’t forget, however, that the possibilities still exist that he either makes that long-awaited pivot toward center or maybe his diet and lack of exercise catch up to him and he just doesn’t make it to 2020.

Staf

Wouldn't be surprised if he'd won. The Democrats will probably nominate someone who is either too far left (like Sanders) or even less trustworthy/liked than trump (like Hillary). But it's a long way to go so, we shall see. Will be interesting.

My prediction is the country gets much more divided over the next few years. Democrats have no solid choice and their primaries end up like Republicans last year with a clown show of 15 people running most being establishment types and some business types which further splits the democrat base. Some sort of third party runs and we see third party votes as high as Ross Perot era and severely hit both sides but worse on democrats. Voter turnout overall plummets. Trump wins.

The steps in the Op-Ed:

1. Trump can't win without a good third party candidate also running.
2. Trump will win because a good third party candidate will run.
3. A third party candidate will run because ?????????????????

Super super confused by this article. There hasn't been a strong third party candidate in decades and this article just assumes it as likely.

as long as its power brokers can't admit that running a candidate with net negative approval ratings is a bad idea the democrats are doomed for 2020

it's literally the only way to lose to donald trump and they managed to do it once

If you paid a lot of attention to Yglesias and thought he was on the money last time around then the election of Donald Trump would've came as a total shock.

see, ordinarily i'd wonder how you got the impression that yglesias is anything to me but one of several dozen political writers i follow on twitter (or why you think "he was egregiously wrong once so he can never be right again" is a particularly compelling argument), but i know who you are

Some of the left needs to learn to stop relying on their "morals and values" and think about the best choice out of all candidates. That includes voting for someone you may not like, but actually has a chance of winning the election against Trump and people who will do more harm than good to the country. That also includes voting for Senators and Reps that are better choices than the current Congress.

But we should focus attention first on Midterms, then we'll deal with Donald.

Trump will never...

Some of you idiots never learn do you?

People really banking on that shutting Trump down. I mean it could happen but to assume it will and not be interested in doing the grunt work that needs to be done in the meantime is ridiculous.

Democrats bout to take another L in 2018 they keep fucking around. Won't be any pizza and crayons this time.

FStubbs

That’s kind of their supporting evidence..

Polls said Hillary would win, polls say Trump support is down

Obviously polls don’t mean shit. Red states will stay red states and Republicans put racism before country every time, they will not vote democrat or third party.

FTFY

Neo C.

It's too early, but then again I don't have any faith in the citizens, neither 2018 nor 2020. His voters will double down, while the rest will be too complacent to do something.

see, ordinarily i'd wonder how you got the impression that yglesias is anything to me but one of several dozen political writers i follow on twitter (or why you think "he was egregiously wrong once so he can never be right again" is a particularly compelling argument), but i know who you are

I never said he can't be right. He's simply not someone I would prefer to rely on to navigate uncertain issues like this subject. Given how he interpreted polling throughout the election, how he attempted to argue to his audience why you shouldn't take Trump seriously as candidate and how he's reacted post election...I don't see why folks should give him the benefit of the doubt intellectually. He was biased and led countless people astray who thought this guy knows his stuff. And put their faith in his interpretations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom