• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump on trade: "The Germans are bad, very bad"

oti

Banned
This is so great.
The one guy is doing the "oh you"-meme, lol.
Merkel being Merkel.

Donald you've finally made it,even Croatia's president is laughing at you.

db733ed6b73a41e0a36762f84a80ef00.png

We already pay more than 2%. We not in this lol.

barber

Right behind Macron you can find the Spanish Prime Minister:

You don't have the only laughing stock out there. Not the first time he's all weird like that. And don't talk to him in English, he'll be extremely confused.

Oh God, I thought it was a photoshop... Yeah that is my president ugg

He really should buy something to stop his lips from drying, he does that TOO OFTEN.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Its amazing how fast one man can burn every single bridge and undo decades of hard work.

Gonna be a while before the US regains trust of its closest allies.

Quoting from the first page but I just wanted to say, not true at all. One guy and his group of imbeccils will not affect future relationships. We all know he's an idiot so we all are just waiting for things to get back to normal after he succumbs back to oblivion. We don't hate the US, just him.

Sincerely,
The world

oti

Banned
Quoting from the first page but I just wanted to say, not true at all. One guy and his group of imbeccils will not affect future relationships. We all know he's an idiot so we all are just waiting for things to get back to normal after he succumbs back to oblivion. We don't hate the US, just him.

Sincerely,
The world

Nah, the next President will have to go on a global apology tour. It will take some time for relationships to go back to Obama-era again. And even when they do, thanks to Trump and Brexit the is undergoing a process right now, it could be more sovereign at the end of it. Thus changing the relations even further.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Again, I want to apologize to the rest of the world, on behalf of the decent people in America, for this shameful and disturbingly immature and unqualified US President.

I don't know what's wrong with his brain or why anyone voted for him.
Thankyou 😊

UrbanRats

Sincerely,
The world

Besides, the US is not the only country facing the populistic idiocy as of late.
France dodged a bullet, not everyone did though.
Then you have Erdogan and other idiots to deal with... basically, Trump is this much of an anomaly just because the US is the biggest player in town (plus he seems to be genuinely clueless about pretty much any subject).

Markoman

The "oh you"-meme guy is Charles Michel, Prime Minister of Belgium.

Sorry and thx, I wasn't sure about him and before I post something trumpish I rather expose myself as semi-ignorant. ;P

Edit: Those two on the left: "Your place or mine?"

Xando

So this happened:

Sean Spicer denies it's true
Except it's not true: Juncker says Trump was not aggressive on German trade surplus
@Reuters
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN18M0UF …
https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/868039167250444289

Minutes later Trumps economic advisor (who was in the room) says this

Cohn on Trump's "very bad" German leak "He said they're very bad on trade but he doesn't have a problem w/ Germany" said Dad is from Germany
https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/868050779260592129

Good to know they're on the same page

Tovarisc

Put three WH officials in the same room and you'll get three different and contradictory stories.

It's amusing, really.

How that is even possible? They are supposed to agree on their narrative before speaking to press, just to ensure everyone tows same line.

His insufficient vocabulary is partially at fault here.
"x is bad/weak on y"
We've heard that a lot from him and especially with more complicated topics it just doesn't do the issues justice.

How that is even possible? They are supposed to agree on their narrative before speaking to press, just to ensure everyone tows same line.

Trump's Whitehouse seems to be a mess of political positioning, pettiness and plain incompetence. Throw in the staff who seem to loathe their boss and I'm amazed they manage to even get a message to hold for longer than five minutes.

Tovarisc

The Latest: Germany pushes back against Trump trade comments

A German government spokesman says trade surpluses like the one that’s provoking President Donald Trump’s ire are the result of market factors and are “neither good nor bad.”

Spokesman Georg Streiter didn’t comment directly on a report that Trump called Germany “bad, very bad” on trade because of the success of German companies in selling autos and other goods to U.S. customers.

But, speaking in Berlin, Streiter said Germany’s current account surplus — the broadest measure of trade and investment flows — reflects economic factors that the German government can’t directly do anything about.

He said it was “also caused by factors that cannot, or at least cannot directly, be influenced by economic or financial policy measures in Germany, for example the oil price, the euro exchange rate, but also structural factors such as demographic developments.”

Source: https://apnews.com/f6caa2867363437f9608e57f5a398d8a

Source link seems to have general updates from today's G7 too.

He totally didn't mean it in that way. Libs always taking things out of context!

"He said they're very bad on trade but he doesn't have a problem with Germany,” said Cohn. “He said his dad is from Germany. He said, 'I don't have a problem with Germany, I have a problem with German trade.'"

Trump has taken aim at the German car industry in the past. In an interview with German newspaper Bild, Trump described trade between the two countries as “out of balance.”

“If you go down Fifth Avenue everyone has a Mercedes-Benz in front of his house, isn’t that the case?” said Trump. “The fact is that … there is no reciprocity. How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany? Not very many, maybe none at all it’s a one-way street. It must work both ways

The whole trump trip has been fucking hilarious. I've never seen a more awkward looking leader who seems so unprepared and uncomfortable in the role. Also, why is his wife constantly dressed like she's at a funeral? Is she preparing herself for the inevitable?

He totally didn't mean it in that way. Libs always taking things out of context!

"He said they're very bad on trade but he doesn't have a problem with Germany,” said Cohn. “He said his dad is from Germany. He said, 'I don't have a problem with Germany, I have a problem with German trade.'"

Trump has taken aim at the German car industry in the past. In an interview with German newspaper Bild, Trump described trade between the two countries as “out of balance.”

“If you go down Fifth Avenue everyone has a Mercedes-Benz in front of his house, isn’t that the case?” said Trump. “The fact is that … there is no reciprocity. How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany? Not very many, maybe none at all it’s a one-way street. It must work both ways

Chevrolet branded cars are not being sold in Germany anymore... (part of the 'Opel isn't allowed to sell its cars anywhere outside of Europe/Russia' deal)

The whole trump trip has been fucking hilarious. I've never seen a more awkward looking leader who seems so unprepared and uncomfortable in the role. Also, why is his wife constantly dressed like she's at a funeral? Is she preparing herself for the inevitable?

Ever heard the phrase, "dress for the job you want"?

danthefan

How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany? Not very many, maybe none at all it’s a one-way street. It must work both ways

Is this anything to do with the likes of protectionist policies like Trump is suggesting (i.e. 35% border tax)?

Anyway you'll see plenty of Fords in Germany and in Europe generally, because they make cars Europeans want to buy, Chevrolet don't really.

Oersted

Fun fact, Donald owns several Rolls Royce (UK), a Lamborghini (Italy), Ferrari(Italy again) and several Mercedes(Germany).

The only Chevrolet he has was due to a Apprentice promo.

Oh and Chevrolet stopped selling cars in Germany a while ago.

So what does he want? Force Chevrolet to sell cars in Germany and force Germans to buy Chevrolet?

Mrbob

Out of curiosity, does anyone take Trump seriously anymore? Or do they just sit back and laugh because the dude is a joke every time he speaks.

gfxtwin

It's weird how people are getting upset about this considering how many venues, bars, clubs, etc have had ladies nights for decades.

"He said they're very bad on trade but he doesn't have a problem with Germany," said Cohn. ”He said his dad is from Germany. He said, 'I don't have a problem with Germany, I have a problem with German trade.'"

Trump has taken aim at the German car industry in the past. In an interview with German newspaper Bild, Trump described trade between the two countries as ”out of balance."

”If you go down Fifth Avenue everyone has a Mercedes-Benz in front of his house, isn't that the case?" said Trump. ”The fact is that ... there is no reciprocity. How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany? Not very many, maybe none at all it's a one-way street. It must work both ways."

General Motors has Opel for the European market

Usobuko

Banned
The whole world adopts your Google, Amazon, Facebook, Uber, Twitter, Snapchat, movies etc. because America cultural, economic dominance and yet he go ahead and gers angry at his allies in a smaller industry which they actually competes instead of gaining world dominance because it succeeded in America.

cyba89

There are so many american tv shows on german television but barely any german ones in the US. It must work both ways.

Let the US embrace our german Kulturgut like Tatort or Gute Zeiten, Schlechte Zeiten.

old

$164 billion trade with a $65 billion deficit. Shit needs to change. Good on Trump.

Edit:
It's weird how people are getting upset about this considering how many venues, bars, clubs, etc have had ladies nights for decades.
you may have meant to post that in the Wonder Woman thread.

$164 billion trade with a $65 billion deficit. Shit needs to change. Good on Trump.

Somehow I doubt blaming your trading partners alone on the own deficit is going to accomplish much.

Like, what do you and Trump expect? That Americans and Germans should start buying worse cars because they're from American companies?

That's also completely ignoring the fact that many German car companies have huge production in the US itself.

You don't fix that by closing your borders to those products. Germany is not doing unfair competition here, they are not subsidizing their industries to give an unfair advantage (like you see China do with steel for example, so there is a point there to impose tariffs). The simple fact is: the US doesn't produce their own stuff anymore and not in the quality or price their people can or want to buy it. So fix your own industries so they can compete again.

For cars, how about the US goes all in on electric and see how Tesla will do around the world for example.

Oh, and maybe that deficit will be fixed if the US looked into loopholes and their corporate tax, so you have companies like Apple, Google, Amazon bringing their profits back home to even out that deficit.

Well, then git gud.

lol. That's actually what the CEO of BMW said.

http://fortune.com/2017/01/17/germany-trump-auto-manufacturing-mexico/

Trump reportedly praised Germany's automakers, but said that Germans were not reciprocating by purchasing cars made in the U.S., making the trade unfair. To this Gabriel replied with a challenge to American auto manufacturers: ”the U.S. needs to build better cars."

Maybe I'll buy one too but as for now I'll stick to my BMW :p

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Huge portion of rural voters identify as German American, so even Trump voters don't believe this. Regardless this is very embarrassing. Germany has been a close Ally for several years now.

daxy

Edit:
you may have meant to post that in the Wonder Woman thread.

This line of reasoning belongs in the 18th century. Plus, there are plenty of other countries/sectors in which the US is a net exporter. Open up any basic book on economics and it'll explain why international trade is not a zero sum game.

LJ11

make better products

It's not that simple. How about Germany transfers excess savings back to households?

Trump's a fool, but plenty of economists have railed against constant German surpluses. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Mr.Mike

Presumably the Germans would like something in return for all the products they send to the US. Yes, they get US Dollars for selling those products, but the only things they can really do with those US dollars is use them to buy US goods and services or sell/loan them to someone else who wants to buy US goods and services (often the US government itself). I suppose those dollars could never actually be used for any of this, but then Germany is basically giving stuff to the US for free.

The point being the trade deficit is not the statistic people seem to assume it is. It does not tell you who is 'winning' and and who is 'losing'.

Top Bottom