• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump talks of ‘calm before the storm’ after military meeting

Have you never met a republican who worships Reagan? A movie star who was suffering from dementia? We really aren’t that far off. I’m just going to be so sad having to listen to Republicans twenty years from now talking about how Trump was the best. Ugh...and if I see a fucking collectors coin....ugh...

But the reason they lick Reagan's taint so hard is because they can get away with it because he ended the Cold War without firing a shot.

I imagine Trump will go much the way of Bush. As successful as Bush was for the war machine and big oil, the GOP can't say outwardly that they adore him because of how badly he fucked up with Iraq and Katrina.

AlexBasch

I know nothing of these kind of procedures, but if he says "fuck it bomb the shit outta NK", is everyone in the room supposed to obey him and press the button no questions asked?

I can't deny that I fantasize about some general going "okay orange turd, sit down, you're gonna kill us all" as he pulls a 9mm at this dumbfuck while he gets arrested, but I'm still curious about that.

This was an interesting read, thank you.

We'll see? Trump might be the zodiac killer.
No, that's Ted Cruz.

I know nothing of these kind of procedures, but if he says "fuck it bomb the shit outta NK", is everyone in the room supposed to obey him and press the button no questions asked?

I can't deny that I fantasize about some general going "okay orange turd, sit down, you're gonna kill us all" as he pulls a 9mm at this dumbfuck, but I'm still curious about that.

Yes, basically, though if the staff around Trump gets wind that he might do it, precautionary measures could be taken.

When Nixon was losing his mind, Kissinger of all people told the military not to deploy any nukes at his order if they got a call past a certain hour of the night, because chances are he was drunk and delirious.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Someone I know has a kid in the reserves who will be sent oversees if there is a conflict. They're absolutely terrified over it, and when I told her that republican presidents love to start wars, she literally weakly responded "...but hillary..." No sympathy for the idiots who voted for this guy and are willing to die for him.

BUT HILLARY *WHAT*, YOU STUPID FUCKING MORONS

YOUR KIDS WILL DIE BECAUSE YOU'RE EASILY MANIPULATED IDIOTS

Madness

I can't deny that I fantasize about some general going "okay orange turd, sit down, you're gonna kill us all" as he pulls a 9mm at this dumbfuck while he gets arrested, but I'm still curious about that.

This was an interesting read, thank you.

No, that's Ted Cruz.

No that won't happen because it circumvents protocol and prevents the chain of command. It would be a dereliction of duty and possibly even treason to disobey such an order. The crazy thing is, like someone stated Kissinger tried to warn staff not to listen to Nixon's delirium. But Kissinger would have been removed in a heartbeat and arrested if Nixon actually wanted something done and he prevented it.

That is why you elect sane men into to office, and why mostly former Presidents had served in the world superpower military at some point because of how importance it is nothing happen. Some guy who has diarrhea fingers on twitter, what happens if Kim Jong Un taunts Ivanka and launches a test near Japan? You think he cares about glassing NK?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
No that won't happen because it circumvents protocol and prevents the chain of command. It would be a dereliction of duty and possibly even treason to disobey such an order. The crazy thing is, like someone stated Kissinger tried to warn staff not to listen to Nixon's delirium. But Kissinger would have been removed in a heartbeat and arrested if Nixon actually wanted something done and he prevented it.

That is why you elect sane men into to office, and why mostly former Presidents had served in the world superpower military at some point because of how importance it is nothing happen. Some guy who has diarrhea fingers on twitter, what happens if Kim Jong Un taunts Ivanka and launches a test near Japan? You think he cares about glassing NK?

Fuck protocol. People will die.

I still think that Trump won't declare a war because it is too lazy for that, unless the army tells him that the war will be short he will be like "that's too much work".

llien

Someone I know has a kid in the reserves who will be sent overseas if there is a conflict. They're absolutely terrified over it, and when I told her that republican presidents love to start wars, she literally weakly responded "...but hillary..." No sympathy for the idiots who voted for this guy and are willing to die for him.

As far as I see both US parties were/are quite into "let's strike":

1) War in Korea - Truman (democrat)
2) War in Vietnam - Kennedy (democrat)
3) Proxy wars all around the world (not sure if they qualify as US Army units weren't involved) - Raigan (republican)
4) First Iraq War - Bush (republican)
5) Strikes on Serbia - Bill Clinton (democrat)
6) Second Iraq War - Bush (republican)
7) Afghan war - Bush (republican)
8) Strikes on Libya (which has given up its nuclear ambitions) again, no direct US Army involvement, so might or might not qualify - Obama

So, outcomes for democrats:
#1 - saved South Korea, positive
#2 - total disaster
#5 - Kosovo's independence, "new order", arguably positive
#8 - Libya is a big mess, regimes giving up nuclear weapons would now think twice

Outcomes for republicans:
#3 - risked to start WWIII, ended up winning cold war, risk of ending planet Earth, positive outcome
#4 - repelled Saddam, freed Kuwait, positive
#6 - weakened US positions as a world leader, messed up Iraq, disaster
#7 - defeated taliban, which is positive, still can't withdraw troops, neutral

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Remember when he complained about the US announcing it's intentions before striking?

🤔

He can't help himself. His ego loves to show off. Playing 'I know something you don't' is one of the best ways to exercise that.

I think Trump honestly believes that a war is the best way to get out of the whole he's dug for himself. Surely no one will hate him anymore once he leads us to glorious war.
Wars can help the public view of the president especially early with all the patriotic rhetoric.

Woo-Fu

Banned
This fuckstick is gonna get us into another endless war, isn't he?

Whatever happens it won't be endless. Trump has no problem whatsoever cutting his losses. Be losing a war one day, all will be forgotten next day and back to tweeting about Hillary's e-mails. Any negative soundbites about a so-called war will be #FakeNews.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Some guy who has diarrhea fingers on twitter, what happens if Kim Jong Un taunts Ivanka and launches a test near Japan? You think he cares about glassing NK?
I just got a picture in my head of NK mocking trumps wife and trump taking us to war over it.

Hes just the type of guy to do it.

ChryZ

Starting a war is probably in his head a good way to improve "ratings" and the plan B to save his presidency.

Amalthea

Banned
In a way, with this motherfucker, humanity will have devolved to the most base instinct of man declaring or leading war:
The narcisstic need to be liked by others. Most warmongers before him would always cite some greater goal: Religion, nation, prosperity, peace. The perversity of it being that thousands and millions had to die.

Trump just doesn't give a shit about pretending he has a higher goal but mostly because he's such a dumb fucker; once people will critizise him he'll make up a (still shitty and despicable) reason but not before. He's too dumb to even properly plan ahead for his own narcissms sake. That's how goddamn dumb he is.

Humanity will never be safe until we stop putting malignant narcissts as our leaders who would kill millions to sleep somewhat sounder because the nagging feelings in their head are satiated for a few hours.

Dehnus

I gotta build that fucking shelter

I live in Norway, totally inoffensive... Norway. Nobody, but Norwegians, bombs Norway. Nobody, but Israël (sigh, that was a sad one, they shot an innocent man by accident. And then fled the country.), attacks Norway from the outside...

Why? Because it is Norway. Nothing in Norway but: Snow, Fjords and people that aren't that good with each other socially (Busstops alone are always too small, we require at least 1 meter distance on either side).

So, no need for shelters here. It's ... Norway. Those that wish to invade, look at the weather report and go: "Nah... let's invade somewhere warmer." :).

Go Norway! *Waves Norwegian flag* :p

Dehnus

I hope Mueller conjures a whirlwind so powerful that it carries Cheeto Hitler to Oz.

And you think Pence would not attack? Seriously, what is the difference XD.

It's like Trump, but with more extreme Christianity involved and "Pray/Torture the gay away" camps.

cameron

lNqUkMF.png

https://twitter.com/axios/status/916272829112377345

Axios: Trump considering several high-stakes national security decisions
"Trump, during photo shoot, talks of 'calm before the storm,'" by AP's Jill Colvin: "Trump delivered a foreboding message [last] night, telling reporters as he posed for photos with his senior military leaders that this might be 'the calm before the storm.'"

Between the lines: The commander-in-chief is pondering several high-stakes national-security decisions that we could hear about soon. But part of this may simply be the president's instinct for drama and photos that make him look strong, love of cliffhangers, and joy in flummoxing the press.

Shadybiz

WH readout of Trump's 'calm before the storm' meeting

— Zeke Miller‏ (@ZekeJMiller) Oct 6, 2017

7v9cXvs.jpg

The North Korean "threat,"...which probably wouldn't be a threat if he didn't keep antagonizing Kim Jong Un over Twitter, and undermining Tillerson's efforts at diplomacy (I don't like Tillerson, but at least he's trying, unlike this moron).

"Countering Iran"...because he's going to decertify the Iran deal, which has been shown, has (so far) kept them from developing nuclear weapons.

Would someone like to ask him how many American citizens are killed each year because of shooting rampages by our own people, versus how many are killed by ISIS attacks? I would stake my life on the idea that he doesn't know.

....Fucking schmuck.

...It's about 9:00...I'm gonna have a beer.

rjinaz

I still think that Trump won't declare a war because it is too lazy for that, unless the army tells him that the war will be short he will be like "that's too much work".

He's not too lazy to undo Obama's Presidency. Or try to ram through Trumpcare. Let's not forget about his damn wall. He has campaign rallies earlier than any president for the ego stroke when he could just keep playing golf.

When Trump is passionate about something, he goes all in, and it's been very clear from the start that Trump fantasizes about war, what with his "why can't we use nukes" and wanting military parades, and now these stupid threats on twitter. Plus I'm sure he has been told that war is good for a president for staying in office.

Blizzard

Banned
And you think Pence would not attack? Seriously, what is the difference XD.

It's like Trump, but with more extreme Christianity involved and "Pray/Torture the gay away" camps.
I absolutely don't think Pence would try to start a 3 a.m. Twitter argument and escalate to nuclear war.

Heck I don't think he would want nuclear war either, nor have I seen any indication he still wants to push converting homosexual people.

He has his own issues but to compare any religious Republican politician to the sheer insanity that Trump has said and done in the last 10 months alone is ludicrous. No one has ever compared. It's not even close.

black_13

Banned
I hope I'm wrong but I'm guessing it's Iran. And it's not just him that wants to go to war with Iran. Republicans and even some democrats have wanted this for a long time. I'm sure Netanyahu/Saudi Arabia will be happy too since they hate Iran. Scary times for sure. Hopefully Americans learn a thing from Afghanistan/Iraq and do something to stop him.

Ac30

I hope I'm wrong but I'm guessing it's Iran. And it's not just him that wants to go to war with Iran. Republicans and even some democrats have wanted this for a long time. I'm sure Netanyahu/Saudi Arabia will be happy too since they hate Iran. Scary times for sure. Hopefully Americans learn a thing from Afghanistan/Iraq and do something to stop him.

A war with one of the few somewhat stable and well-developed countries in the region. Brilliant.

Sephzilla

It could mean a bunch of things. He could be planning to attack someone. He could try to shut down Mueller. He could just be saying it because he's a drama queen.

SteveWD40

Yeah, he does this all the time.

Trump: *rambles off some bullshit*
Media: "Uhh, what does that mean?"
Trump: "We'll see." ;)

It's not even conscious. He doesn't know what he was doing today, he doesn't know what "calm before the storm" means in this context, he doesn't know what he's implying. He just wants to sound like he does.

Exactly, he might as well come out, sing "I know something you don't know!" and stick his tongue out.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Surprisingly, the Saudis have been supportive of the deal as of late because they also know that it's working. Only people happy will be Netanyahu, the neocons and the hardliners in Iran(this will give them a leg up in Iranian politics).

It would be a terrible mistake to withdraw from the nuclear deal. This is one instance where Trump needs to swallow his ego.

Loxley

I'm not convinced he's going to do anything. Trump loves saying dramatic shit like that because it gets him headlines and makes it seem like he's some master tactician thinking up a brilliant scheme - but it never amounts to anything because he's such an idiot.

Trump probably couldn't even name every branch of the military if you asked him.

Top Bottom